My insight into GTA V: Driving; Tips, Techniques & Experiences

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic
gevebe
  • gevebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

First and foremost I would like to establish the fact that this is not a topic about why driving sucks.

Secondly, if you have the attention span of a squirrel and don't feel like reading this; don't. But there is no need to comment and waste your time and mine by being rude or disrespectful. Yes, I know its long. Yes, our opinions may differ. Yes, we've talked about this in length before, but I've felt there wasn't really a legitimate breakdown of the aspects. In any case, we're all here for the same thing; GTA V and how awesome it is.

This is my first-hand account with driving in GTA V and I'd like to share some of my observations with you guys in the hopes of discussing technics and tips.

My first time driving, was a race with my friend, Lamar, and I can honestly say I drove like a sloppy drunk. Here I am, in this top-of-the-line sports car, zig-zagging back and forth across the road as if I'm trying to out-maneuver an alligator that's right on my ass. I caused easily a couple thousand dollars in damage and took 3 lives in my sad attempt to beat Lamar back to the dealership.

By the time I got there, in second place obviously, the car was in shambles; the only two doors it had were gone, no trunk lid, every window blown out and a flat tire.

I passed the mission, but as I paused the game and sat back and enjoyed some herbals; I formulated my theory on how to perfect my driving skills.

What I realized is that driving in GTA V is nothing like the previous entries; sh*t, it hardly shares similarities with GTA IV. The key to getting driving down pat is recognizing that the car has actual, believable mass first and foremost. It does not feel like your sliding around, rather, it feels like the most believable driving I've experienced in an open world game. Like most of you, I'm used to just banging my left thumbstick all the way to left or right, dependant on what direction I need to go. That doesn't work so well here. If you take the time and break yourself of this habit, the driving is a memorable experience in itself. You have slightly move the left thumbstick in the direction you want to travel so as not to cut the wheel too hard and spin out. Its all about finesse.

Secondly, again just like all of us have played in past GTA games, its not about holding the gas down and getting to our destination as fast as we can. The key is to keep the car at a moderate speed in conjuction with what I mentioned previously about steering and you'll start to feel how awesome and rewarding driving is. Now, obviously sometimes you gotta get the f*ck out of some places sometime, and giving the gas all its got is a necessity. When you are traveling at a high rate of speed, flutter the gas as you turn; let off when initially starting the turn and get back on it when you're exiting the turn.

There are so many complaints at how the driving feels 'arcady', but in all honesty I cannot get behind the comparison. I feel as if Rockstar did the driving the way they did so we would be, in a sense, forced us to slow down and enjoy our surroundings while also making us to change our habits, I.e. balls to the wall driving ALL the time; granted in a getaway it may be necessary but there are other ways to evade the police now instead of gunning it. You can duck down an alley and turn your headlights off is one awesome thing I experienced while playing.

I've been driving around in as many different cars as I could, to get a feel for everything. I have to admit that the driving mechanics are fair and balanced across all vehicles; any complaints about driving will most likely come from people who do not like change, they've never driven a real car and think that cars slide all over the damn place, or are just generally not able to grasp the new mechanics and how rewarding it is.

The next time you play GTA V, or if you're like me and have been playing since the midnight release haha, when you get in a car slightly press the gas in at first and accelerate naturally. Slow down around a corner and turn by slightly pressing the desired direction you wish to go in and you'll notice the fluidity.

For those who read this and enjoyed it, show me some love via that like button :]

Please sign the pettition on change.org

Rockstar: Add an option to GTA 5 to change the driving mechanics back to GTA 4 Style

Lets see if we can make a difference!

http://chn.ge/19agus0

• namor likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I read the entire post, all of them actually and no one said anything "except the driving is fine" if its fine what about:

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to take any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

I read your entire post and even tried drifting like you said. Yeah if you pull the handbrake you can get the tail out a little, but there is so much grip the car either comes back in line right after you let go, or just stops completely. I really would like to see a video of someone managing a real drift, or even some doughnuts. I have been trying for a couple hours and the only way I could get any kind of sliding around was to use the sliding cars cheat...

Wow, someone else can drive around here. Thank God.

Indeed cars have way too much grip, too much power, too much stopping power, and tarmac and grass are the same now.

And about your point 5, I´ve got that feeling too but didn´t know how to explain it. You´ve nailed it. If you go at moderate speed, the car turns in a weird and twitchy way.

• namor likes this

DarkBlade211331
  • DarkBlade211331

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

I read the entire post, all of them actually and no one said anything "except the driving is fine" if its fine what about:

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to itake any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

I read your entire post and even tried drifting like you said. Yeah if you pull the handbrake you can get the tail out a little, but there is so much grip the car either comes back in line right after you let go, or just stops completely. I really would like to see a video of someone managing a real drift, or even some doughnuts. I have been trying for a couple hours and the only way I could get any kind of sliding around was to use the sliding cars cheat...

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Please do not post in old threads. It bumps the topic to the top of the board and as older topics contain outdated information/discussion this causes confusion when people read the topic from the beginning.

If you have a subject that you feel ought to be discussed feel free to start a new topic but first, please make use of the search function to ensure that there is not a recent topic that covers the subject that you can post in.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users