My insight into GTA V: Driving; Tips, Techniques & Experiences

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic
R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

First and foremost I would like to establish the fact that this is not a topic about why driving sucks.

Secondly, if you have the attention span of a squirrel and don't feel like reading this; don't. But there is no need to comment and waste your time and mine by being rude or disrespectful. Yes, I know its long. Yes, our opinions may differ. Yes, we've talked about this in length before, but I've felt there wasn't really a legitimate breakdown of the aspects. In any case, we're all here for the same thing; GTA V and how awesome it is.

This is my first-hand account with driving in GTA V and I'd like to share some of my observations with you guys in the hopes of discussing technics and tips.

My first time driving, was a race with my friend, Lamar, and I can honestly say I drove like a sloppy drunk. Here I am, in this top-of-the-line sports car, zig-zagging back and forth across the road as if I'm trying to out-maneuver an alligator that's right on my ass. I caused easily a couple thousand dollars in damage and took 3 lives in my sad attempt to beat Lamar back to the dealership.

By the time I got there, in second place obviously, the car was in shambles; the only two doors it had were gone, no trunk lid, every window blown out and a flat tire.

I passed the mission, but as I paused the game and sat back and enjoyed some herbals; I formulated my theory on how to perfect my driving skills.

What I realized is that driving in GTA V is nothing like the previous entries; sh*t, it hardly shares similarities with GTA IV. The key to getting driving down pat is recognizing that the car has actual, believable mass first and foremost. It does not feel like your sliding around, rather, it feels like the most believable driving I've experienced in an open world game. Like most of you, I'm used to just banging my left thumbstick all the way to left or right, dependant on what direction I need to go. That doesn't work so well here. If you take the time and break yourself of this habit, the driving is a memorable experience in itself. You have slightly move the left thumbstick in the direction you want to travel so as not to cut the wheel too hard and spin out. Its all about finesse.

Secondly, again just like all of us have played in past GTA games, its not about holding the gas down and getting to our destination as fast as we can. The key is to keep the car at a moderate speed in conjuction with what I mentioned previously about steering and you'll start to feel how awesome and rewarding driving is. Now, obviously sometimes you gotta get the f*ck out of some places sometime, and giving the gas all its got is a necessity. When you are traveling at a high rate of speed, flutter the gas as you turn; let off when initially starting the turn and get back on it when you're exiting the turn.

There are so many complaints at how the driving feels 'arcady', but in all honesty I cannot get behind the comparison. I feel as if Rockstar did the driving the way they did so we would be, in a sense, forced us to slow down and enjoy our surroundings while also making us to change our habits, I.e. balls to the wall driving ALL the time; granted in a getaway it may be necessary but there are other ways to evade the police now instead of gunning it. You can duck down an alley and turn your headlights off is one awesome thing I experienced while playing.

I've been driving around in as many different cars as I could, to get a feel for everything. I have to admit that the driving mechanics are fair and balanced across all vehicles; any complaints about driving will most likely come from people who do not like change, they've never driven a real car and think that cars slide all over the damn place, or are just generally not able to grasp the new mechanics and how rewarding it is.

The next time you play GTA V, or if you're like me and have been playing since the midnight release haha, when you get in a car slightly press the gas in at first and accelerate naturally. Slow down around a corner and turn by slightly pressing the desired direction you wish to go in and you'll notice the fluidity.

For those who read this and enjoyed it, show me some love via that like button :]
  • ugotsmoked, SirTerning, TabooV2 and 3 others like this

JinxyBinky
  • JinxyBinky

Gentle Lover

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

nobody cares anymore..... go play gta

• Scaglietti likes this

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

What are some of your Tips, Techniques & Experiences with driving inGTA V?

Also, no complaining. If you want to state something you've noticed and why you don't like it and present it in a manor that backs itself up great.

But if all you're going to say is 'GTA V driving sucks, and its stupid', the go play somewheres else.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

nobody cares anymore..... go play gta

So go someplace else. I'm Trying to discuss gameplay mechanics in an intelligent way. Its not hurting you, and you didn't read it to know what I'm saying.
  • Udrift likes this

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Good post! Do you have any thoughts on drifting compared to IV (I don't have V yet)

Deadantz
  • Deadantz

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:39 PM Edited by Deadantz, 17 September 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Nice read..... Pretty sure all the kids complaining about the driving are just that... Kids who have never driven a car outside of a video game.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Good post! Do you have any thoughts on drifting compared to IV (I don't have V yet)

Honestly, just to give you guys an idea on how little I was informed about the game; I didn't know that RB (X360) was the emergency break. I thought they got rid of it haha.

From what I've noticed, drifiting is a bit trickier than IV.

You can't enter into a turn, slam the e-brake and expect to gracefully slide through the turn. In my personal experience when you want to go around a corner while drifting this is what I do;

Depending on the way I want to turn, ill let go of the accelerator completely, press and hold the e-brake long enough to flick the stick in the desired direction you want to go then let go of the e-brake, floor the gas to straighten out.

Also, if you're ever driving and the vehicle becomes squirrely (you keep moving the left stick back & forth to try and straighten out), let go of the gas straighten out and floor it.

This all sounds so childishly simple, but its very rewarding once you get the mechanics down.

Omar_DmX
  • Omar_DmX

Trick

• Members
  • Tunisia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:10 PM Edited by Tuniturntablist, 17 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Honestly, just to give you guys an idea on how little I was informed about the game; I didn't know that RB (X360) was the emergency break. I thought they got rid of it haha.

You can't enter into a turn, slam the e-brake and expect to gracefully slide through the turn. In my personal experience when you want to go around a corner while drifting this is what I do;

Depending on the way I want to turn, ill let go of the accelerator completely, press and hold the e-brake long enough to flick the stick in the desired direction you want to go then let go of the e-brake, floor the gas to straighten out.

Also, if you're ever driving and the vehicle becomes squirrely (you keep moving the left stick back & forth to try and straighten out), let go of the gas straighten out and floor it.

This all sounds so childishly simple, but its very rewarding once you get the mechanics down.
Gameplay vid or it didn't happen. I haven't seen anyone perform a long drift in this game like a RWD car should IRL, all I've seen is 2 seconds powerslide which is not drifting.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Gameplay vid or it didn't happen. I haven't seen anyone perform a long drift in this game like a RWD car should IRL, all I've seen is 2 seconds powerslide which is not drifting.

If I had a capture card Id show you. Ill try and take a video with my phone later to prove it. I'm telling you the way I've been driving in V feels so fluid. I've gotten significantly better since I started driving the way I described above.

Rickin10
  • Rickin10

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Wow! A rational informative post.

Are you sure you're in the right forum?

• R3AL1Z3 likes this

Omar_DmX
  • Omar_DmX

Trick

• Members
  • Tunisia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

If I had a capture card Id show you. Ill try and take a video with my phone later to prove it. I'm telling you the way I've been driving in V feels so fluid. I've gotten significantly better since I started driving the way I described above.
That would be great and may change a lot of people view on V's handling, maybe all those people playing on youtube suck at driving? I dunno lol. PM me when you get the vid.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

Thanks man. If people took the time to feel out the driving and experiment a little bit they'd realize how fluid it feels. Its very rewarding and in-depth despite what people have been saying. Its the same people that just haul ass and slide around corners in IV and still call Vs driving 'arcadey'.
  • ugotsmoked and TabooV2 like this

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

I would also like to add to the topic and touch upon damage for a bit.

The damage is FINE, don't believe what some people are saying. I feel as if its fair and accurate. Seriously, I've been involved in accidents from fender benders to explosions. In every event, the damage has appeared natural and in no way pre-rendered; the scratches and dents appear to be mostly unique each time.

I've blown out my front right tire, damaged it to the point it was bent at a 45 degree angle becausei landed on it from 15ft in the air. Its completely fair and balanced.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

I could not agree more, this new driving mechanic makes a person actually think while driving instead of just holding the trigger all the way down.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Basically everyone who didn't have the game shouldn't believe what most people are saying about driving. Get your hands on out before making an assumption.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

What sucks is that most people won't bother to click this thread because of the amount of people who whine on these boards.

Anybody want to contribute to what I'm talking about and provide observations on driving?

Paradoxical
  • Paradoxical

Russian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

I agree. I don't understand why some who've supposedly played it are continuing to cry "arcade physics". GTA IV had competent physics, but cars didn't stick to the ground. This is where GTA V improves. I like how balanced the vehicles are though.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

I agree. I don't understand why some who've supposedly played it are continuing to cry "arcade physics". GTA IV had competent physics, but cars didn't stick to the ground. This is where GTA V improves. I like how balanced the vehicles are though.

Its because most of them just jump on the bandwagon because they haven't played it yet and base it on livestreams or they're stubborn and refuse to see logic.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

The funny thing is that this thread will die yet a thread complaining about how 'driving is teh suck' that goes on for 10 pages.

I hope the few of you who read this pass on this information in an attempt to steer public opinion away from the negative side.

Deadantz
  • Deadantz

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

Still the best thread on these forums atm.

TIMSTER777
  • TIMSTER777

"Dude you gotta try hoagies man"

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

Good f*cking thread bro. :)
  • R3AL1Z3 likes this

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

I read the entire post, all of them actually and no one said anything "except the driving is fine" if its fine what about:

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to take any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

I read your entire post and even tried drifting like you said. Yeah if you pull the handbrake you can get the tail out a little, but there is so much grip the car either comes back in line right after you let go, or just stops completely. I really would like to see a video of someone managing a real drift, or even some doughnuts. I have been trying for a couple hours and the only way I could get any kind of sliding around was to use the sliding cars cheat...

• namor, suicidehummer and FasterThanYou like this

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

When I'm about to go around a corner and I'm trying to slide through it, I hold the e-brake down while I push the direction I want and let go of the e-brake; the important factor is to romp on the gas in order to get the tires spinning so they don't have a chance to grip. Your ass end should kick out perfectly if you do it like the way I described.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

The fact that I have to deliberately use the hand break in order to "drift" is a failure on the part of the game itself.

AGNT009
  • AGNT009

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Im just fine with the driving physics. Its all about finesse and its rewarded more so in V than IV. Ive always been a good finesse driver in games like this. I cant WAIT for Online to come, Im going to school suckers in races harder than I did in 4. MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Of the driving around Ive done so far, cant wait to make some custom race routes. So many fun possibilities!

I used Trevors starting cash to trick out his old truck and it dominates the AI offroad racers so much, its not a challenge. And the cash is too cheap at $500. Bring on human racers and hopefully we can have bigger race winnings.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

The fact that I have to deliberately use the hand break in order to "drift" is a failure on the part of the game itself.

Calm down Colin McRae

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

The AI is probably dumbed down a lot.  I honestly don't see the possibility of their being any real skill in racing against other human players provided everyone has the same vehicle.

leafspring
  • leafspring

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

That's currently my main problem with the game (aside from the 8yo graphics and framerate drops): The steering seems to be mapped linearly onto the analog stick when it should be mapped cubicly. 

This simple change (or the option to switch) would make the driving completely fine for me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other handling improvements as well, but I'd be happy for now.

Showshone
  • Showshone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I will try some more tonight, but i dont feel like i have to think to take a turn. Its pretty easy, and thats not right. It shouldnt be that easy right? It doesnt feel like it takes any skill.

• suicidehummer likes this

Stardog
  • Stardog

You can't eat the venetian blinds!

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

The real issue is that the dead zone of the PS3 analog sticks is too much. You to move the stick a fair distance before it does anything. It makes going through a small gap between two cars difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users