Photo

Getting a Terrible Resolution

446 replies to this topic
atix
  • atix

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I hope you manage to fix the problem.  Looking up your TV model or something should help.  There might be instructions on how to adjust the visuals.  Keep messing around with the settings and hopefully you find something that looks great.  If you have component cables try them out to see if its better than HDMI.  Anyway, I'm off to continue playing GTA 5.  Good luck.  :)

thank you so much. 

I also have a Sony Bravia and my gf's Samsung LED 22inch monitor.

I'll try on all 3.

Wohlever
  • Wohlever

Gaming since 1979

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:12 AM Edited by gunmod, 18 September 2013 - 11:12 AM.

I checked my monitor when game launches. Goes from 1080p at dashboard to 720p ingame.
On the PS3 (not sure about Xbox 360) the game seems to only be running in 720p.

WTF, that is awful

Im playing 1920x1080 on my BenQ XL 2420T which is not a sh*t monitor VIA HDMI and it looks pretty crap for me so its something in the game

Dude, just because your playing on a 1080p support monitor/TV does NOT mean the game is rendering at 1080p. The game is rendering at 720p and being upscaled to fit your 1080p resultion.
I thought by now people would know this. It's been common knowledge since at least 2006

atix
  • atix

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I checked my monitor when game launches. Goes from 1080p at dashboard to 720p ingame.

WTF, that is awful

Im playing 1920x1080 on my BenQ XL 2420T which is not a sh*t monitor VIA HDMI and it looks pretty crap for me so its something in the game

Dude, just because your playing on a 1080p support monitor/TV does NOT mean the game is rendering at 1080p. The game is rendering at 720p and being upscaled to fit your 1080p resultion.
I thought by now people would know this. It's been common knowledge since at least 2006

I knew the game was being rendered by the console at 720P, i didn't know my monitor (ASUS VS228H-P) was upscaling it to 1080P.

Maybe that's why i have so much aliasing/jagged lines.

Do you know if there is any way to prevent that upscaling on the monitor's end?

GTA V Fail
  • GTA V Fail

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

the game looks good, but don't play on a big tv, that will make it ugly, it's only 720p

i play on meduim size sony bravia FHD , and i use rgb full, and the game looks like on pc( i mean not blur effect and sh*t)

it 's like on pc on meduim settings

also if i plug my ps3 on my alienware led screen, the game will looks very sharp , but the led screen is bright :'( and i hate that , i like the darker lcd

sagemred
  • sagemred

PC.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I hope you manage to fix the problem.  Looking up your TV model or something should help.  There might be instructions on how to adjust the visuals.  Keep messing around with the settings and hopefully you find something that looks great.  If you have component cables try them out to see if its better than HDMI.  Anyway, I'm off to continue playing GTA 5.  Good luck.  :)

thank you so much. 

I'll try on all 3.

I'm having the same issue and I think I have the same ASUS monitor as you (can't check at the moment, at work). I think it might be because the monitor does not support 720p and the upscaling just makes it look terrible and aliased.

If you could post the results from trying to play on your other monitors I'd be grateful :)

• atix likes this

atix
  • atix

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

thank you so much. 

I'll try on all 3.

I'm having the same issue and I think I have the same ASUS monitor as you (can't check at the moment, at work). I think it might be because the monitor does not support 720p and the upscaling just makes it look terrible and aliased.

If you could post the results from trying to play on your other monitors I'd be grateful :)

That could very well be the reason behind it!

Once i get home (in about...2hours and 30mn) i'll try and come back here to post the results.

I'll even try changing the asus monitor settings (the sharpness, etc etc) on a more drastic way (going from...50 to 0 etc etc) just to see if it makes any difference.

Otherwise lol, we'll have to go and buy a good old 90's big ass tv ^_^

sagemred
  • sagemred

PC.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

thank you so much. 

I'll try on all 3.

Once i get home (in about...2hours and 30mn) i'll try and come back here to post the results.

I'll even try changing the asus monitor settings (the sharpness, etc etc) on a more drastic way (going from...50 to 0 etc etc) just to see if it makes any difference.

I managed to track down my order e-mail for my monitor and it is an ASUS VS247H Widescreen LED, so not quite the same as yours. However, like I said, I suspect the issue is with the monitor not supporting 720p.

I shall do some Googling.

atix
  • atix

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

thank you so much. 

I'll try on all 3.

I managed to track down my order e-mail for my monitor and it is an ASUS VS247H Widescreen LED, so not quite the same as yours. However, like I said, I suspect the issue is with the monitor not supporting 720p.

I shall do some Googling.

I know how we can put that theory to rest.

My sony bravia support AT MOST 720P.

So, if it is going to look good, it's there.

When i get home i'll try it.

monkzilla
  • monkzilla

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

To the dudes with bravia, how do you disable 1080p upscaling on the tv? I have a 56" bravia. And the sh*t looks aliased as f*ck -_-

Organ-Donor
  • Organ-Donor

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Turn your TV sharpness setting down, that will help. I put mine on 4/10.

sagemred
  • sagemred

PC.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Okay, I played around a bit with monitor and resolution settings to no avail. The best thing I can advise is unchecking 1080i and 1080p in the PS3 display settings and let the PS3 output at 720p without upscaling. I think this made a minor improvement, but there is still plenty of aliasing.

Maybe I've just become too accustomed to high end PC graphics :(

methwow92
  • methwow92

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

WTF, that is awful

I was more pointing to the fact my monitor is not a pile of sh*t

Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info! :)

Iplaynl
  • Iplaynl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Me and my friend have the same problem, and we can't seem to fix it. Sharpness works a tad bit, but not much.

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hey mate I'm having the same issues. So is my brother.

Things I've tried;

- reinstalled the game twice
- got a new copy
- changed settings on my tv
- changed Xbox settings (720 e.t.c)
- component cables and hdmi cables
- tried 4 different TVs (40" Sony Bravia led fullhd, 51" Samsung, 65" Samsung and a 42" Panasonic 3D tv)

Nothing works!

I'm trying to gather people's information about this issue.

Do you have an Xbox hard drive? Or are you playing off a USB stick? I'm buying a 16gb USB stick with a writing capacity of 190mb/s today and trying to see if that works! I'll keep you guys updated. I'm almost certain it has something to do with the way it was installed on my Xbox because it lags also like its not keeping up with the disk?

I even spoke to ebgames staff and they said all there copies are fine?? My mates also don't have this problem?

atix
  • atix

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ok, i have news (bad ones...).

I tried plugging my PS3 to a Asus 1080p 22inch monitor (HDMI), a 22 inch LED Samsung monitor 1080P (HDMI), and a Sony bravia that does 720P Max (hdmi).

the monitors/tv running on default settings give me the already mentioned crapload of Jagged edges and aliasing.

EVEN when i changed the sharpness, contrasts and everything else i noticed NO improvement. I repeat, NOTHING improved. Not even a tiny little bit.

I've put the PS3 Full rgb thingie on as well, tried with ALL 3 options at once (720/1080i/1080P), tried with 1 at a time, NOTHING as well.

Like others have said, i think i just got too used to PC gaming, but damn...i still watch GTA5 videos on youtube and they are not even as close as my gameplay is, when it comes to aliasing/jagged lines.

Weird....But hey, the game still is a blast and fun to play.

Sorry i couldn't come up with better results.

PS: I also tried using 3 differente HDMI cables.

Iplaynl
  • Iplaynl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm contacting Rockstar right now, if i get response, i'll come back to y'all

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:49 PM Edited by 66night, 18 September 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Okay guys just contacted rockstar support and he hasn't heard of the issue before. I suggest you all contact them and hopefully this gets traction, maybe even tweet them!

He said he is sending me a bug report so I can fill out the issue with pictures to investigate.

http://support.rocks...rt-Contact-Info

EDIT: ticket has been placed in line... Now to wait

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm contacting Rockstar right now, if i get response, i'll come back to y'all

Good stuff I just did it aswell

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

That's just how the game looks. The streams look "better" simply because you're watching it on a smaller screen. Making a game this big on 8 year old hardware is not an easy task.

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

That's just how the game looks. The streams look "better" simply because you're watching it on a smaller screen. Making a game this big on 8 year old hardware is not an easy task.

Yes but my friend is playing on his 50" led and does not have this issue.

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

Don't you f*cking look at me!

• Cyclop 9

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've contacted Rockstar support too. This is my email:

Hey I'm writing in response to the display of Grand Theft Auto V on my current TV. I'm playing the game and there seems to be a hell of a lot of motion blur/jagged lines to the extent it not only impedes on the gameplay but also makes the screen hard to watch on the eyes. I'm currently playing on a 250gb Xbox Elite via component cables to my TV. My TV is a 42" LCD Phillips and is around 7 years old, the max setting is 1080i (I can't run in 1080p) but I have it currently set on 720p. I've ordered a HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference in comparison to the component. But would you say I would need to get a LED TV that can support 1080p settings to reduce this?

Please write back, amazing game but this is really niggling me. Avid GTA fan here.

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hey I'm writing in response to the display of Grand Theft Auto V on my current TV. I'm playing the game and there seems to be a hell of a lot of motion blur/jagged lines to the extent it not only impedes on the gameplay but also makes the screen hard to watch on the eyes. I'm currently playing on a 250gb Xbox Elite via component cables to my TV. My TV is a 42" LCD Phillips and is around 7 years old, the max setting is 1080i (I can't run in 1080p) but I have it currently set on 720p. I've ordered a HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference in comparison to the component. But would you say I would need to get a LED TV that can support 1080p settings to reduce this?

Please write back, amazing game but this is really niggling me. Avid GTA fan here.

Good stuff, new tv is not going to help though. I've tried on 4 Tvs (read above post)

If you ring up they will give you a ticket number and bug report and you can send in pictures for them to investigate it further.

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Have you seen the game on his TV, or is he just saying that he doesn't have this problem?

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

What did you install the game onto btw? Xbox hard drive or USB?

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:12 PM Edited by 66night, 18 September 2013 - 09:13 PM.

Have you seen the game on his TV, or is he just saying that he doesn't have this problem?
Seen the game... I also showed the guys at the eb games and they said their's doesn't do that

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

• Cyclop 9

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hard Drive, would it reduce if Installed onto USB?

Yeah also I'm tired of PC fanboys on here going "oh lol 8 year old systems lol" this isn't happening for everyone, so obviously it isn't a fault with the f*cking consoles. It's happening to a minority of people.

66night
  • 66night

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:18 PM Edited by 66night, 18 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.

Hard Drive, would it reduce if Installed onto USB?

Yeah also I'm tired of PC fanboys on here going "oh lol 8 year old systems lol" this isn't happening for everyone, so obviously it isn't a fault with the f*cking consoles. It's happening to a minority of people.
Hmmm yes that's right it shouldn't be doing this.

I'm going to go buy a 16gb USB stick with a high writing capacity soon and I'm going to try that out. I have a feeling it's something to do with the hard drive install

I'm not going to stop until this issue is fixed its ruining this awesome game for me

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

• Cyclop 9

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Okay let me know if it fixes it for you dude. Are you just going to install the "install" disk on the USB and play the game via the disk drive still? 

As well as the Jaggies do you get motion blur? And really bad textures at night, on dark clothes/buildings/cars etc? Like oily and stuff?

NickMann250
  • NickMann250

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey guys, I turned the sharpness way down on my TV and put my Ps3 into 720p and it looks a decent bit better..

Give it a try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users