Improving ps3 performance.

20 replies to this topic
southparkmayor
  • southparkmayor

Derp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

We now have GTA V, However if for any reason your ps3 seems to struggle playing the game then here is a list of things you can do to help. 

1. Clean out your ps3. You are likely to have dust in your system especially if you have had your ps3 for years and place it in a dusty confined area. this dust builds up heat inside your ps3 which can harm your ps3 in the long run. 

2. Place in a well ventilated area: This gives your system plenty of air to breathe allowing it to perform better. 

3. Create space on your Hard drive: On Hard disk drives the disk has to go through billions of other bytes from your other games. Freeing up space will allow it to find the GTA V files a bit faster. So if you have any demos which you do not plan to play on at all ever again. then delete them. Also delete Game data for games you do not have any longer. You can also delete the messages hogging up your inbox and sent outbox.. this saves a few KB in the RAM. 

4. System utility. I highly recommend doing this If your have had your ps3 for years and played for 100's of hours. https://support.us.p...afe-mode-on-ps3 Use  options 3. and 4. these do not harm your ps3. REMEMBER TO UPLOAD YOUR TROPHIES FIRST.

If you have any other ideas please post here.

• DeafMetal likes this

Zinthaniel
  • Zinthaniel

Master Debater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

My PS3 is running  it perfectly. 

ralf_s
  • ralf_s

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

The Bluray drive in mine has just given up the ghost. It started glitching on GTA IV last night but played Midnight Club LA perfectly earlier on... I was just starting the "Chop" mission when the minimap went blank, radio stopped working and there was no mission brief visible! Now the drive refuses to recognise/read any discs at all.

It's a chunky old 40GB model and I've had it since IV came out. Is it worth getting such an old PS3 fixed or should I bite the bullet and get a new slim one?

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'm using 120 GB slim and it is running like Usain Bolt! Absolutely fantastic performance, visual and just the best game ever made!

ralf_s
  • ralf_s

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

So you'd recommend a newer PS3 I'm guessing?

AndreVC
  • AndreVC

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

I cleaned up some space. I've got mine for about 2 years and it's running great, even with V, it doesn't to heat that much, but I'm using a cooling base underneath.

ralf_s
  • ralf_s

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

If the Bluray drive stops reading discs, is it worth trying to get it repaired somewhere?

YouTube videos about removing the drive/cleaning the lens look hideously complicated and I'm not a techie type...

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Does a ventilator count for #2?

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

When you install a game on a fresh hard drive, it writes the game on the outside portion of the spinning disk. As you keep installing, it starts filling up towards the center. When it's on the outside, for each revolution of the disc, there are many more 1s and 0s than on the inside.

I've read that this will make it go faster, but I haven't seen any proof.

Also, the video in this thread is worth looking at.

http://gtaforums.com...ps3-comparison/

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I cleaned up some space. I've got mine for about 2 years and it's running great, even with V, it doesn't to heat that much, but I'm using a cooling base underneath.

I'm not sure what ps3 you got but as of now I have the super slim, works good even though I can hear the disc spin loading and stuff which is fine, its a brand new system.

But I can say one of the best ps3's to date is the 160 gb slim, It was really quiet and and did not get very hot after extended play. I played for 8 hours straight and it was still fairly warm. Great stuff.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

^

Same with my 120gb slim. It is running PERFECTLY. I haven't even had one single problem.

southparkmayor
  • southparkmayor

Derp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm getting it in a couple hours for my 160 GB ps3 slim from christmas 2010 so I don't know about the performance for me yet.

ralf_s
  • ralf_s

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Good luck! Hope your blu-ray drive doesn't conk out on you...

twigs2001
  • twigs2001

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

ps3 slim here and anti-aliasing is jaggery and flickers, quite abit of pop in on cars certain textures not loading until i get close up

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

How come this is happening to a lot of people and not everyone including me?

dodgerfan4eva
  • dodgerfan4eva

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

the game been running good for me just that my ps3 slim fan goes crazy maybe cuz i had a long session 4 hours im gunna let it cook and see what happens

• Poker2012chu likes this

Poker2012chu
  • Poker2012chu

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

the game been running good for me just that my ps3 slim fan goes crazy maybe cuz i had a long session 4 hours im gunna let it cook and see what happens

Same here. Performance is pretty good, especially considering all of the technical issues people are encountering. The only time my PS3's fan runs as loud as it does with GTA V is when I'm playing online matches on Battlefield 3.

eatshitandie
  • eatshitandie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

The game is running fine on my big old original PS3 (with upgraded 240GB HDD) and it doesn't get as loud as when I play Black Ops online multiplayer!

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Runs well on my end though I can experience FPS downs on some parts but rarely :D

Survival-Legacy
  • Survival-Legacy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

To help my PS3 I created a "Turbo" for it, if you will. I bought a couple under-side cooling fans and created a platform for the fans to be mounted to the front and back of, the front ones pointed towards the front intake of the PS3 and the rear ones pointing away from the rear of the PS3 itself. I made the middle of the platform hollow so the PS3 could fit inside directly in front of the fans. The fans on the front blow cool air into the PS3's intake while the fans on the back help to pull the warm air out. They're low power fans so they won't burn out the PS3's internal vent fan. Ever since I invented my PS3 "Turbo" system I haven't had the internal fan become loud and obnoxious like most PS3's do after long-term usage, which normally would mean it was overheating. If you have the time and skill, a little air induction can actually help prevent your PS3 from overheating and eventually freezing or shutting itself down.

PumpuliKivi
  • PumpuliKivi

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

I have the PS Store downloaded version of the game and it has some FPS and pop up problems. Could i do anything to make it better?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users