Helicopters? WTF

134 replies to this topic
iTz-JoNeSy
  • iTz-JoNeSy

I'm cool me.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

I was trying to pick cars up with the military helicopter before, I found it impossible due to the helicopter going all over the place. Agreed that they are unstable, pieces of crap.

Foreverpast
  • Foreverpast

Polite Upon Request

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

Police helicopter seems the most stable in my opinion, no issues really.

It nice that the "Perfect" flight trait with helicopters isn't in this game.

Keeps you focused.

Crunch McThornbody
  • Crunch McThornbody

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

I hate the helicoptors in this game, feels like you're flying drunk what with the camera angle being so delayed on keeping up with the angle of the helicoptor so you end up rolling side-to-side just trying to fly the damn thing straight!

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

BigMarty, i got all gold in flight school. It doesnt help.

Same here. Planes aren't horrible but my god the helicopters are just ridiculous!

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think a few people are getting confused, the helis themselves control fine. Its the overly exaggerated realism that annoys me, its worse that flying skill doesnt seem to negate it all that much. If it did i wouldnt mind the turbulence. For me its just plain annoying, i can pickup a rhino with the cargobob and drop on the flatbed of a moving train.

Foreverpast, you're right it does keep me focused.....on how annoying it is and how its getting in the way of fun. I just want to fly to my destination not adjust for windspeeds.

Dreded
  • Dreded

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I find the heli flying great... I can even manage to buzz the ground to fling pedestrians into the sky as the blades hit them.

One thing to keep in mind is since the physics are more realistic(sometimes) and newton says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction in order to stop you need to "blow air" the opposite way you are moving. so if moving forward slightly tilt the copter back

Also I fly a LOT of RC Copters and go watch youtube for first time RC Helicopter videos they usually don't turn out well because helicopters are damn hard to fly.

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I find the heli flying great... I can even manage to buzz the ground to fling pedestrians into the sky as the blades hit them.

One thing to keep in mind is since the physics are more realistic(sometimes) and newton says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction in order to stop you need to "blow air" the opposite way you are moving. so if moving forward slightly tilt the copter back

Also I fly a LOT of RC Copters and go watch youtube for first time RC Helicopter videos they usually don't turn out well because helicopters are damn hard to fly.

You can't compare an RC Heli to a full blown cargo helicopter. I think it's a nice touch with the wind, but they exaggerated it. When I fly a small, light plane/heli... A'ight, maybe. But did you ever fly in a 747 and had turbolences like all of the time? Same goes for the MH-53/Chinook thingy. It's damn heavy, but gets shaken in the wind like it's made out of plastic. The affection of the wind should be decreased, not removed, but certainly decreased.

Lochnessgray
  • Lochnessgray

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

The swaying left and right is obnoxious. I'll take the slow rudder turning but the bobbing around has to go!

Anyone who says they've "mastered" the flying post a video on YouTube to prove it.
Don't act like we don't all have smart phones Vito video cameras!
Don't act like your too busy to prove it to us and put us in our place.

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Funny, I had no problem driving in GTAIV, and I have no problem flying in GTAV.

How many of you that have the flying in GTAV hated the driving in GTAIV?

Maybe the problem is that some people just have no skill what so ever.

Captain_Obvis456
  • Captain_Obvis456

you're about to be inadequate

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

It all depends on the characters skill level. Fly as Trevor and it makes a world of difference. Do the flight school missions and work your way up there with the other two characters.

Did you really expect a hood-dwellin, livin with his aunt type of gang member to be proficient in flying a heli? Or Michael, who is a retired stick-up man, not some superhero / james bond type.

All they've done is set it up so that the three different characters actually play and feel different.

It really doesn't.  I'm working through the Flying School now, and I have Michael up to 100% flying skill before going on the Helicopter lessons.  You cannot level the thing.  It sways to and fro like hell.  It's broken.

I am doing the same thing with Michael at 100% and the heli flying is the worst. I thought that flying the plane with Trevor on the arms missions was bad, but the helicopters is just ridiculously awful, they really need to fix this.

I love the rest of the game, but this is really bad.

Flying in general really sucks. You should at least be able to keep the plane/heli level if nothing else.

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

I liked GTA4's car and heli handlng. I also like GTAV's car handling, it's totally different to IV's but they both have their different merits. GTA V's flying handling is just really bad. The planes are okay, I can cope with them, though I think they could have done a better job. The helicopters are just seriously bad though, it's not so much controlling them, it's the constant swaying in the wind which is so stupid. The wind comes from all directions and it simulates it asif you are flying in gale force winds, all the damn time. They went for realism and screwed it up, helicopters just don't do that in real life. IV's helicopter controls were far better, though still not great.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:21 PM Edited by Skeloton, 21 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

SkylineGTRFreak, yeah definitely needs reducing. Also they could remove for clear weather and hammer us in stormy weather because f*ck it looks cool in a storm, just not on a clear bright blue day.

Vwnut13, i didnt mind the driving in IV but spent more time in the air. Also i picked up a rhino in a cargobob and dropped it off on a moving train......but before i could land on it, it went into a tunnel and the tank had dissapeared on the other side.

elderdrake
  • elderdrake

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:39 PM Edited by elderdrake, 21 September 2013 - 02:45 PM.

Seriously? That comment is rubbish. Maybe it is just because no matter what the game engages a mandatory sway to whatever you fly at random times with no bearing on altitude, vehicle weight and so on.

Playing as Trevor w/maxed out flying the heli still bobs all crazy at random times and there is not a thing you can do to negate that. No uber mad playing skills prevent that...nothing. Using a buzzard to fire missiles manually at a moving target is laughable because of this...and that is a damn attack chopper. Probably the best in game for stats so far.

SPOILER FOR EASY ATTACK BUZZARD LOCATION

Spoiler

I never crash with them and can fly at full speed feet above the ground easy enough but trying precision flying for combat is a joke. What good is a 100/100 flying skill of you heli wobbles like a bobblehead at random times?

stuffnbox
  • stuffnbox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

So I went through flight school with trever and I have to say that the buzzard really handles great compared to no flight school. I looked for the smallest area between buildings and at full throdle and nailed it no problem . Its not as fast as iv but a lot smoother . I spent a couple hours just flying around pushing it to the limit and with a few more days like that I would be a serious contender in multiplayer. It could use some work from RS but for the most part its fine , I just hope that it handles like that in multiplayer. I saw an apachi chopper in one of the trailers , is that in the game somewhere?

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

originally thought the driving sucked balls in this game but as i progressed and my driving skill in game got better, and perhaps I just got used to it also, its not so bad now.  flying at trevor with high skill still has it buffeting around some, not sure if its because I never went to flight school and just gained skill from actually flying, but my skill is almost maxed out.  maybe they were going for realistic wind currents?

SamuelBenjamin
  • SamuelBenjamin

Film & Photography Cinematography & VFX LA

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

To say it there needs to just be no wind in this game, it's pointless and unfun for a GTA game. It's completely stupid to have your planes and helicopters suddenly start spazzing out as if your controllers sticks are bad. It needs to be removed and only added when in storms

MuddledMuppet
  • MuddledMuppet

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

I agree that the controls make flying heli's much less fun than it could be. I don't mind things being challenging, but I prefer to feel nauseated!

Anyhoo, for anyone struggling, here's a heli flying guide. this is aimed squarely at people who are struggling I'm not the worlds bet flyer nor do I make any claim to be, but it is intended to be a bit more helpful to people than just saying 'get better'

Hope it helps someone!

cjspeed
  • cjspeed

Dead and Divine

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:22 PM Edited by cjspeed, 21 September 2013 - 05:23 PM.

At first i thought it was a bit iffy, but, much like the driving, i eventually got used to it. They're very manageable and nowhere near as bad as some people make out. If you consistently hold the analog stick in a certain position (like you would if you were actually flying anyway) it doesn't wobble about as much. Plus, you have to remember that R* added a turbulence feature into this game, so that will affect it a bit.

All this hate on the handling/physics of vehicles in this game is ridiculous. The cars handle fine, the helicopters and planes handle fine, the only thing that's shockingly bad is the bikes. A medium between the vehicles in this game and the vehicles in GTA IV would be spot on. Maybe R* will change it ever so slightly once they see how many people disagree with it. But personally, i have no problems with anything other than the bikes. I think everybody's overreacting and being terribly picky myself.

TommyK154
  • TommyK154

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

I 100% agree the flying altogether is trash. I have Trevor and Michael both 100% flying and I can't even get a god damn Bronze on the helicopter speed run in Flight School meanwhile I got gold on all the plane ones. They reallllly need to patch this up. On the bright side if you got the pre-order blimp it is completely unaffected by the "turbulence" or whatever but it is pretty slow. 

MuddledMuppet
  • MuddledMuppet

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

@ Tommy, the reason i did the video is that i actually struggled with the heli's for ages, took me hours to get the first mission bronzed, so i know how frustrating it can be.

I really do think the video thing helped, in fact after i did it i decided to do the speed run again and golded it straight away :)

TommyK154
  • TommyK154

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I also hate that you can't change the controls for flying without changing the controls for walking as well. The real way flight games should be played with a 360 controller is the southpaw setting on GTA where the RS does the pitch and roll. (BF3 is one example of a game that does this correctly) This is the correct set up for flying mainly because 1) you're using your right hand so you have better control and 2) you're 'aiming' the helicopter/plane where to go. Unfortunately if you switch to southpaw in a heli/plane it will also switch the control once to get out and walk around to southpaw.

Not only that but as someone who's played MS's Flight Simulator and multiple other flight sims I can tell you that the flying is completely unrealistic anyways so they shouldn't have tried to mess with turbulence or whatever, they just made it far farrrrr worse.

Syntax323
  • Syntax323

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm just now starting to get a hang of it.

Camera does throw me off a little bit.

My issue was that the chopper would start to wobble to say the right, and I would try correcting it without really thinking about it, and push to far left on the stick and it gave.me that left and right wobble really hard.

I figure its the same as driving, they are very sensitive, and only take very slight movements on the stick to get it straight and no wobble.

I've almost got it down now to no wobble, but at first I was so mad about it.

I do think its pretty annoying and doesn't really fit the game that well. I understand the purpose, but it almost takes the fun out of it.

Just practice!

Anyway, it still beats flying the dodo! anyone remember that? My God I've never been so angry at a game other than flying the dodo, or the little remote Control dodo!

RydeCrash
  • RydeCrash

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

You can not rush or hurry flying Helicopters,  once this is embraced flying becomes very easy. 

Ryde...

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ummm..helis wobble even when you're hovering not touching the left stick. I honestly tried being "subtle" with the controls still wobbles. Ive just bout given up using the buzzard just annoying and no fun at all. Still using the cargobob to transport my tank and sub.

Good luck hitting anything enough to do any damage with the buzzards guns.

Dreded
  • Dreded

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I am sure R* will fix all this... while I can fly very good I agree the wind is a little over the top

--==Below is my OPINION and is NOT fact==--

as far as the game on a whole I am sure they had a very strict deadline as it HAD to be released before PS4/XBOne and they just made it in time, so anything that wasn't game breaking got glossed over in the fine tuning stage. Things like the fact the Coil(sports electric car) climbs mountains better than the ATV got overlooked as it wasn't game breaking.. the wind didn't get fine tuned all this is easily fixable post release as wind=1 is easily changeable to wind=.5 but it takes time to change and test even the smallest of variable changes especially on a game the size of GTA V

now for a side rant I think someone at R* needs to go ride a real atv and come back and fix the damn atv's why are they so under powered and slow they ride like mid 80's ATV's used to except a mid 80's atv could climb better.

Scout_E7
  • Scout_E7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

https://www.youtube....ch?v=4qmRFF0aok

This is a video i made because the Helicopter stablity was pissing off a lot. You can use this for comparison sake.

Shaun--77
  • Shaun--77

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

https://www.youtube....ch?v=4qmRFF0aok

This is a video i made because the Helicopter stablity was pissing off a lot. You can use this for comparison sake.

i watched up until you got in with franklin. genius.

cjspeed
  • cjspeed

Dead and Divine

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

There will definitely be patches and fixes being put together while we're talking right now. But they released the game exactly when they wanted to. They've been working on this for years, it has been finished for a long time. They were waiting for the right time to put it out there, they were by no means in a rush.

Again, personally, i think if we give it time we'll all get used to it, and just like GTA IV there'll be people weaving in and out of building like pros. Same with the cars. It isn't game breaking, and it doesn't NEED 'fixing'.

Ofcourse, if everything was as easy as Call of Duty, it would just be ideal, right? This generation can't handle a level of difficulty higher than Easy.

Foreverpast
  • Foreverpast

Polite Upon Request

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

This generation can't handle a level of difficulty higher than Easy.

Spot on.

Zupexqt
  • Zupexqt

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Landed the helis on blimps, railings and all sorts of things so being able to control it isn't an issue :s When hunting spaceship parts I landed it on the underside of a bridge with only a few cms space on screen all around me.

I am terrible at things like this normally :S So if I can do it people can adjust... People moan that the cars feel to arcadey, when the helis are ever so slightly realistic >.<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users