Helicopters? WTF

134 replies to this topic
Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

Naw, the people who thought they were good pilots in IV have been put in their place. Good move, Rockstar. Keeping those who weren't meant to have wings out of the skies of San Andreas.

Cheers!

• vince91 and Syntaxis like this

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Kmanmx, i know right. R* seem to have from boaty cars to boat helis. Literally looks like its floating in the sea with all that rolling left and right?

Officer620 the f*ck you on about this is about helis not planes. Turbulence on planes while annoying, they still got off lightly.

Short term use this feature of "realism" sounds good but longterm its gonna get old.
  • assnihilator likes this

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Flys fine to me...

Then again i play alot of sim's so maybe the practice helps

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Officer620 the f*ck you on about this is about helis not planes. Turbulence on planes while annoying, they still got off lightly.

Indeed. Suck at flying both then, huh?

Cheers!

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Good riddance, Helicopters could ruin GTA 4 multiplayer. These changes insure GTA:O's survival.

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Helicopter physics/controls are absolutely f*cked. The thing just boats left and right randomly for no reason and is utterly uncontrollable. In a world where SUVs pull 4 Gs and supercars can take 30 mph turns at full throttle without losing grip, you'd think helicopters would be light and easy to fly, like in GTA 4.

Macklin
  • Macklin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Was just considering this issue as I try and get through flight school. The thing I can't fathom is how to get gold on the second helicopter 'speed' run. I've golded everything else and my best time on this is 1 second before the bronze cut-off time.

Desperately tricky, but helicopters are notoriously difficult to fly in real life anyway, which is why they fall out the sky far more often than planes.

stuffnbox
  • stuffnbox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Im new to this forum , so hey everyone. I just have to say in gta4 I only played online. I have about 8-900 hours in the buzzard. Yes thats a long time . But I have to say in 5 it really sucks so bad I almost want to go back to playing 4. I understand what rockstar was trying to do but they really screwed it up for the amount of time it took for the game to come out . They need to keep the heat seekers and guns but make it handle like 4. Also instead of having to toggle from guns to heat seekers go back to the way it was in 4. Very disappointed!!!!!

Benny26
  • Benny26

Lion Heart

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who's scratching his head over this. The swaying around left and right is really off-putting and unnecessary, plus the camera is stuck which makes it almost nauseating.

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Naw, the people who thought they were good pilots in IV have been put in their place. Good move, Rockstar. Keeping those who weren't meant to have wings out of the skies of San Andreas.

Cheers!

I think you misunderstand. I personally am not complaining too much about how they control and move, (though I dont' think it's perfect). The issue is the bobbing left and right - there is no reason for it, it's far from realistic. It would be cool if it did that ontop of mountains or high up in the atmosphere, but it does it all the time. Just constant swaying. It's not even like it's suttle, it seems to rock like 30 degrees to the left and right from the center line. Like someone else said, it looks like it's bobbing around in some rough sea.

stuffnbox
  • stuffnbox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ya I agree, I was able to fly inbetween buildings at full speed and not hit a thing.try it in 5 , f**k that . Totaly useless ÷_^#%&£/÷&*£^÷!!!!

stuffnbox
  • stuffnbox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Im just disappointed because I spent so much time mastering it. it just seems like a waist of time now. I thought it would of been the same as 4

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:52 PM Edited by Skeloton, 19 September 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Just did a mission picking up trains in a skylift during a storm, f*ck me that was fun. For that moment the swaying felt justified but itd still be nice that 100/100 and/or golded flight school removed the "realism".

You can tell playtester found it hard because during the mission picking the train and flatbed car theyd magically slide into place when you get close to de/activate the magnet.

xIIxFLAMERxIIx
  • xIIxFLAMERxIIx

The Shield Clan

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

GTA V Killed Piloting. Anyone in the new buzzard can just lock onto 2 or 3 pilots dogfighting and kill them all. This isnt f*cking call of duty Rockstar. They just killed the most honorable skill in the game by doing that. Not to mention the horrible flying controls now. Its impossible to strafe/orbit a target without your chopper constantly wobbling back and forth and going back to its original positions. It takes alot more effort to pilot in V. Also they took out the annihilator aswell!!! Why???!?? No one who is good in the heli f*cking likes the buzzard. Stop milking that sh*tty heli Rockstar!.Jesus im pissed.

stuffnbox
  • stuffnbox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Personally I like the buzzard better than the other one. Can out run it every time(in the city that is) out gun it as well. They need to redo it !!! Hope there is massive complaints so rs will put the controls back the way they were. Pitch yaw everything . Im boured now with it. All that waiting , bulls**t.......

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Getting angry at a game.... Priceless.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

The biggest problem with choppers is that it uses drunk-cam. If the cam would hold level to the horizon it would be much easier.

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

GTA V Killed Piloting. Anyone in the new buzzard can just lock onto 2 or 3 pilots dogfighting and kill them all. This isnt f*cking call of duty Rockstar. They just killed the most honorable skill in the game by doing that. Not to mention the horrible flying controls now. Its impossible to strafe/orbit a target without your chopper constantly wobbling back and forth and going back to its original positions. It takes alot more effort to pilot in V. Also they took out the annihilator aswell!!! Why???!?? No one who is good in the heli f*cking likes the buzzard. Stop milking that sh*tty heli Rockstar!.Jesus im pissed.

Yup... hitting anything with the machine guns with the ridiculously unstable helicopters in V is just luck. You can't even line up the shot if you try, because as soon as you line it up, the helicopter rolls the other way and totally f*cks up your aim. 

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

kmanmx, Yeah, ive tried taking 5 stars on with the buzzard no missiles. Practically impossible to hit anything with them.

marko dash
  • marko dash

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

the choppers aren't so bad, you have to realize that helicopters are inherently unstable. trying to stay in hover in one is like trying to stand on a beach ball. it's fairly realistic for untrained pilots, even trevor may have been a primarily fixed wing pilot.

the planes however get bumped around too much. light planes do get knocked around by turbulence but not to the extent that you have to constantly correct for it, and heavy aircraft should barely notice except for changes in lift when hitting pockets of differently pressured air.

i think both of these were put in for multiplayer balance, there are a lot of us that were too good with the chopper guns in IV, and it's somewhat realistic in that IRL it's impossible to aim that well.

BigMarty1987
  • BigMarty1987

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I notice swaying but it doesn't affect my flight. Looks weird. But in all honesty I rocked through flight school and have had no issues with helicopter of plane missions. I'm beast pilot though. Vice city, bad company 2, BF3, gta 4, to name a few

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

I made it through the flight school challenges first try. At first I found the controls to be weird but I got used to them and zipped through the tests. 

I've noticed with helicopters and driving you need to try being very subtle with your controls

TinyWeeny
  • TinyWeeny

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yup. 

I liked old school GTA heli controls a lot better. They were actually fun, which is what you want in a GTA game... not frustrating realism.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

The heli problem is 100% camera. :( try using the right stick to look straight down then fly about and you'll see that Trevor's starting chopper handles VERY much like the annihilator. They just need to lock the camera horizontally.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Slugfly, i did like you said and still it rocked left and right. Messing about with the buzzard, went to nose cone view and it looked very much like i was on a boat.
So i guess we've gone from boaty cars to boaty helis lol.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, I flew a helicopter on the motorcycle reposession mission (2nd Franklin mission) and it was terrible, just like the driving.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

I´m eager to test them after reading all these things. Looks challenging. But I don´t understand these Rockstar guys. They totally dumb down the driving and tune up the challenge of the choppers...

Chase177
  • Chase177

Procrastinator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

I hated flying helicopters in IV, and there even worse in V. The helicopter lessons in flying school are keeping me from getting all gold.

Anthony Soprano
  • Anthony Soprano

" Bada Bing Bada Boom "

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by Anthony Soprano, 20 September 2013 - 11:02 PM.

I have flown the copter a bunch of times now and it wasn't as bad as people said here,  you just have to be subtle with the comtrols while your flying no quick moves just nice and slow and smooth. So far It hasn't been a problem for me it just takes some practice.

• Ollie8557 likes this

Ollie8557
  • Ollie8557

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

I found the heli really difficult to control. It took me numerous attempts to complete the air school courses.

At the time i got really pissed off with R* for making it so difficult, but once i mastered it i felt pretty good about myself. I think that R* have tried to walk the thin line between challenging missions and impossible missions. They aren't always going to get it right, but they did with the heli.

My advice, experiment with the rudder and bank controls...you have to use both pretty carefully to tame the beast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users