» «
Photo

Helicopters? WTF

134 replies to this topic
assnihilator
  • assnihilator

AKA AP-70_FIREHAWK

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:31 PM Edited by assnihilator, 17 September 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Anyone finding it insanely hard to control/ridiculously unstable. It seems Rockstar really didin't want anyone to be proficient or use the helicopters much at all. I just flew the buzzard and you simply can't roll left without the helicopter bobbing back to the right immedietly? This is WAY worse than the driving in the game.

Some bullet points for the TL;DR crowd.

-horribly unstable

-yaw control is toned way down

-aiming reticle does nothing but dance wildly back and forward

some positives are at least heatseeking/locking missiles... doesn't do much for those that have honed their skills in the annihilator and buzzard in IV.

seriously, Who gives a f*ck about the driving, you can altleast drive from point A to B, but helicopters=complete garbage... you have to be f*cking retarded to think the helicopters are easy or realistic in their flight envelope. :cry: Rockstar f*cked up very few things in V but helicopters????? they better release a patch for this pathetic excuse for solving the trolling problem in IV.

• jaysta_the_gangsta and Lokey87 like this

stobe187
  • stobe187

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

It all depends on the characters skill level. Fly as Trevor and it makes a world of difference. Do the flight school missions and work your way up there with the other two characters.

Did you really expect a hood-dwellin, livin with his aunt type of gang member to be proficient in flying a heli? Or Michael, who is a retired stick-up man, not some superhero / james bond type.

All they've done is set it up so that the three different characters actually play and feel different.

• Ryan_ likes this

PlatypusPedersen
  • PlatypusPedersen

Fluttershy is best pony

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM Edited by PlatypusPedersen, 17 September 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Which character did you use? Also remember that it gets easier to handle as the characters Flying-stat increase.

Edit: what stobe187 said. ^

Ogre_Thug
  • Ogre_Thug

Psychopath

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I agree with this. Always struggled in iv with helis tho. First time with Trevor was hellish, i left the ai to pilot the return trip and landing. It was that bad.

• runteit likes this

RolfStarGames
  • RolfStarGames

Thug

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:01 PM Edited by RolfStarGames, 17 September 2013 - 07:01 PM.

@assnihilator

....This is WAY worse than the driving in the game.

That's physically impossible!!

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

@assnihilator

....This is WAY worse than the driving in the game.

That's physically impossible!!

Thats true, because its a videogame. nothing physical about it.

• kamikazeedriver likes this

GerritJan1998
  • GerritJan1998

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

I hate the fact that it is so hard to land with a Buzzer lol, but they're fun

stobe187
  • stobe187

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

To be fair, flying a Maverick from Bohan to Alderney (to grab a Sultan RS of course) was f*cking boring because the only thing you needed to do was to hold the right trigger and forward on the left analog.

I like that they've shaken things up a bit.

• IveGotNoValues and ThreattzZ like this

gabeen
  • gabeen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

It all depends on the characters skill level. Fly as Trevor and it makes a world of difference. Do the flight school missions and work your way up there with the other two characters.

Did you really expect a hood-dwellin, livin with his aunt type of gang member to be proficient in flying a heli? Or Michael, who is a retired stick-up man, not some superhero / james bond type.

All they've done is set it up so that the three different characters actually play and feel different.

It really doesn't.  I'm working through the Flying School now, and I have Michael up to 100% flying skill before going on the Helicopter lessons.  You cannot level the thing.  It sways to and fro like hell.  It's broken.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Im actually disappointed with what they did to helicopter controls. It feels like strafing is pretty much impossible because the chopper keeps diverting to the point of momentum

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

ALL aircraft suffer from far too much turbulence even with a maxed out flight skill as trevor.

On the topic of skills WTF. They feel so useless. I read in the guide exactly what all these skills do and they may as well not even be there. 

• 192.168.1.1 likes this

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:34 AM Edited by Skeloton, 18 September 2013 - 01:35 AM.

I have to agree with the op, aircraft helis in particular seemed be f*cked. I really struggled with the heli flight school challenges due to the heli not being able to fly straight.

The factor of realism is a nice touch but not when you cant diminish it.

That said im still flying buzzards into the base attempting to steal a jet.

mikekolesar
  • mikekolesar

I LIKE KUMQUATS W/O THE QUATS

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

It was that bad.

I*

assnihilator
  • assnihilator

AKA AP-70_FIREHAWK

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

hmmm, didn't think about using trevor... I hope it solves that issue. I rarely complain about features and things but this is really BROKEN, its to the point that its nauseating and not fun flying the new helis. Lets hope GTAO is set back to IV's controls in the heli's.

JamesB__
  • JamesB__

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

I can't even find a helicopter anywhere.

Apart from the police ones flying around I've not even seen one, although I did see a pretty epic army one flying around the military base.

Where can I get one without buying?

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Ive tried it as trevor, doesn't help. Definitely worse than the changes to driving.

At least cars don't suddenly swerve out of control when your just driving forward. 

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Helicopter does Roflcopter everytime its in the air.
Horrobly uncontrollable, dont know what that shaking should be, wind blowing or non-experience, dont know.
Flying them with trevor was a pain in the ass too.
Flight schools heli tours were a pain, took me 1,5hrs to finish both in gold.

assnihilator
  • assnihilator

AKA AP-70_FIREHAWK

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I can't even find a helicopter anywhere.

Apart from the police ones flying around I've not even seen one, although I did see a pretty epic army one flying around the military base.

Where can I get one without buying?

You can find a buzzard at the military base right next to one of the closed hangers, its parked next to that P-whatever laser jet. 

Qiooss
  • Qiooss

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

BigMarty1987
  • BigMarty1987

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Flight school

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

BigMarty, i got all gold in flight school. It doesnt help.
  • 192.168.1.1 likes this

linkjoy123
  • linkjoy123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:13 PM Edited by linkjoy123, 18 September 2013 - 01:15 PM.

I got Flying maxed on all my characters and did the full schooling on all three.

Helicopter flying is a joke.  The heli just sways back and forth for no reason, you can hardly stabilize it without it going all over the place. 

This is not meant to be a real simulator for Heli flying, I doubt people are flying with pedals, and a real joystick.

Since most of the controls are simulated and done for you, it is way out of whack.  I have played a lot of flight sims in my time, and the flying is a complete joke in this game.  Helicopters are a nightmare.

The "wind gusts" are obivously simulated to make your Heli sway and get off stabliziation, which makes no sense as your are using simple controls. 

The camera is really really annoying, if I move the camera, I don't want it snapping back to center.  You got to constantly adjust the camera the way you want without it moving on you, back to center. 

assnihilator
  • assnihilator

AKA AP-70_FIREHAWK

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Would ya look at that..... Absolutely everyone agrees it sucks! This must be an achievement or something. LOL, almost everyone fights about something on these forums. I also unlocked 100/100 with Trevor and there's not much of an improvement with him.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Ugh just did a fib mission involving a cargobob, container and a trailer. f*ck me did it take me awhile to get it on that damn trailer.

Hugef1
  • Hugef1

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Anyone finding it insanely hard to control/ridiculously unstable.

Nope.

Flying as Franklin/Michael is more challenging, but not that hard.

Mavsynchroid
  • Mavsynchroid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:33 AM Edited by Mavsynchroid, 19 September 2013 - 10:33 AM.

It all depends on the characters skill level. Fly as Trevor and it makes a world of difference. Do the flight school missions and work your way up there with the other two characters. Did you really expect a hood-dwellin, livin with his aunt type of gang member to be proficient in flying a heli? Or Michael, who is a retired stick-up man, not some superhero / james bond type. All they've done is set it up so that the three different characters actually play and feel different.

It really doesn't.  I'm working through the Flying School now, and I have Michael up to 100% flying skill before going on the Helicopter lessons.  You cannot level the thing.  It sways to and fro like hell.  It's broken.

Lol it's not broken at all. I love the helicopter flying in the game. It's easy once you get used to it. A lot of people tend to jam the analog stick Left and right instead gently moving it. Float like a butterfly and you'll be a pro.
  • Nytonix likes this

Mavsynchroid
  • Mavsynchroid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Would ya look at that..... Absolutely everyone agrees it sucks! This must be an achievement or something. LOL, almost everyone fights about something on these forums. I also unlocked 100/100 with Trevor and there's not much of an improvement with him.

even before my post, not everyone agreed. Don't make things up to try to reinforce your opinion. ;P

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Mavsynchroid, it feels pretty broken and i dont jam the stick in any way. Flight skill(maxed) and school(all gold) could at least disable the annoying turbulence. Is that too much to ask for?

Its not like driving has potholes or some sh*t that removes control from you, so why does flying?

kmanmx
  • kmanmx

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I don't mind how they handle so much, but all that swaying is just stupid. It's not even remotely realistic at all. It seems like a feature they tried to put in for realism's sake but actually it's totally over the top, it's representative of flying in literally 100Mph winds. I've never seen a heli in real life fly like that, nor do they do that in flight sims such as DCS.

I do like the car handling though, but heli's...heli's they screwed up.

Hugef1
  • Hugef1

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

It all depends on the characters skill level. Fly as Trevor and it makes a world of difference. Do the flight school missions and work your way up there with the other two characters. Did you really expect a hood-dwellin, livin with his aunt type of gang member to be proficient in flying a heli? Or Michael, who is a retired stick-up man, not some superhero / james bond type. All they've done is set it up so that the three different characters actually play and feel different.

Lol it's not broken at all. I love the helicopter flying in the game. It's easy once you get used to it. A lot of people tend to jam the analog stick Left and right instead gently moving it. Float like a butterfly and you'll be a pro.

Couldn't agree more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users