Quantcast

» «
Photo

So...are the driving physics as bad as people said they looked?

58 replies to this topic

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

As someone who loved IV's driving physics and was exposed to V leaks, I was expecting the worst. I only drove around for an hour or so last night after picking up the game but I really don't mind the driving physics.

ofwanko
  • ofwanko

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Verry dissapointed on the driving physics, it feels like the car dosen't weight anything... You can take a corner at the top speed it will still hang to the road like you are playing need for speed. And let's not talk about the damage, you face to face a truck at 200miles your car wont even look like it's damaged-.- I really hope they patch this or at least put some options in the menu so we can switch to the old driving physics, please ROCKSTAR!! We need a huge mass of people complaining so they might do something about it...

ds5384
  • ds5384

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Agreed with the ones who hate the new physics. They nerfed my favorite component of the game. Its Need for Speed, or midnight club with guns. The pussification of great games has reached its apex.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

basic topic of discussion driving physics GTA5 http://gtaforums.com...-better/page-16

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

After seeing the gameplay videos I was expecting it too be bad but after playing it its not as bad as I was expecting. Will be easy to get used to.

Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. Cars do have a lack of any suspension travel, no body roll at all. As far as being on rails, it's not like that. I still had to slow down for turns or cars would still understeer into walls, and the one super car I've driven so far(the 9F) had a tendency to oversteer and slide. Using the handbrake in the 9F resulted in a spinout nearly every time. 

The worst part for me is the car damage. GTA IV had one of the best damage engines of any game, only a few racing only games could top it. In V, the damage is toned waaaaaaaay down. Takes the fun out of seeing how bad you can demolish a car. Which is sad, as some parts of V, the damage is better. Parts of the car fall off again like GTA3 or VC, wheels can be knocked off and more. Just seems odd to have fenders and wheels knock off from a bad wreck, but the headlights still work and no other damage is present on the body. One of my favorite things to do in free roam in IV was to just fly down the roads as fast as possible, trying to avoid wrecks, and waiting for that perfect T-bone or other unexpected accident. After crashing, getting out an examing the damage from the accident. This part for me is ruined in V.

zain1291
  • zain1291

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think its not bad or great! I have played the game for about an hour and I love everything except the anti aliasing which is not even there :p. But ah.. Can overlook that for Rockstar ;)

king-rotty
  • king-rotty

King Rotty

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Played for about 4 hours. Can't really seem to get a car to drift. It regains traction after the initial peel out. I also tried drifting in dirt, but it still holds a bit too much grip. It's not that bad, but still prefer IV's handling.

The trick to drifting is to make sure you have a rear wheel drive car for 1.

It has to be really powerful because otherwise it just wont have the kind of unreasonable speed that refuses traction.

Don't use handbreaks, just ensure that you're on a relatively slippery surface and that you bang down the accelerator the minute you're in the drifting sweet spot, which should be a split second before you turn your front wheels in the direction you want to go.

I think if they've gone for the real physics (which they have! but they haven't gone for real body damage, instead it's accumulative damage which I think is a real smart move for a game like this) then you're going to really need a car that spins out the back wheel.

The only issue I was worried about was that rockstar maybe didn't invest enough research into driving techniques and skills so that the real life physics had the correct associated features to pull off the kind of stunts professional drivers can do, but normal drivers couldn't even if you held a gun to their head. 

I'll be playing it in about 35 minutes and will be experimenting with all the cars.

You may have known all of that stuff, in which case I apologize for.. NOTHING. mwahahha :p

mawerick_mc
  • mawerick_mc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Driving and Damage physics are different from GTA IV, some likes the new ones, some the old ones.

go here, vote and see results of the community.

cheers

robisme
  • robisme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm happy with it, that's all that matters, it's fine.

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

The driving is V is improved from IV, depending on the car I have drifted and I have spun out and I have gained traction quick. I've done donuts too.

This is the best and most fun GTA to date.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

If you liked GTA IV's handling, you have a lot to get used to. I knew what to expect after seeing the leaks but be prepared. It's quite difficult at first.

I wouldn't call it a game-breaker...in fact, I'm beginning to get comfortable with it. It just takes time.

It's up to personal opinion whether you think they are bad or not. For me, I would take GTA IV's physics back any day.

Sounds about right. Hooefully I will get used to it even though I LOVE IV physics. :(

O.Z
  • O.Z

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

The driving's pretty good but they took the grip a bit too far. I like to be able to just floor it and the wheels break traction, at least in the high power cars, and be able to do a few fish tails down the road before it grips. IV wasn't perfect either the cars just seemed too light and you couldn't spin the wheels out of a corner. So I think it needs to be somewhere in between. But definitely not a game breaker. I just love that feeling of burning up the tyres as I take off, kind of like up yours coppers I'm outer here. lol 

I agree, driving is not as fun or realistic any more :(

DSP ArtLife
  • DSP ArtLife

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Everyone was chatting some bullsh*t the driving and damage is way better than IV

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Nah. Car handling is great. It's like a more responsive version of IV's. Now morotcycle handling... I didn't like it at all. IV's cycles were awesome because of how the physics worked with them, here they're stuck TOO much to the ground.

Cinoy
  • Cinoy

✈✈✈✈✈✈

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

it gets really boring after a while  because theres not much to do with your car... You cant drift, slide etc..

basically yes its as bad as it looks

Hyatericalljay
  • Hyatericalljay

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Are people playin the same game as me? Iv drove into so much traffic durin chases that my car gets undrivable. The damage is so much better in my opinion. I believe they made it more arcad like for chases n it works. I enjoy it

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'll throw in my two cents and say that I agree with people who are saying the driving isn't nearly as fun as GTA IV. Now it's just Midnight Club or Saints Row. I miss the weight of the vehicles. I shouldn't be able to go down a freeway at 80 miles an hour for the first time and easily swerve in and out of thirty cars as if I'm on autopilot. And it's not like I'm being picky. So much of the game is better, but the driving is one of two aspects that are essential to the game and it just doesn't work for me.

With GTA IV, I initially didn't like the handling. I thought it was too realistic. But I quickly changed my mind because I learned how to control the cars and then it was awesome. With this one, though, there's no learning curve ... you just hop in a car and drive it perfectly from the get-go. And if you need to stop at 80 mph, you do so in half second. No need to squeal your tires or anything. What the heck happened to not making a corner quite right and slamming into a newspaper machine that would propel you into a wall? 

I think this will end up being even worse with GTA Online. I had learned how to drive so well with some cars that I could charge a grenade while chasing a car, zip around a few cars that were in my way, then zip around the target car and drop it when they were at full speed. In V, with other drivers being able to outmanuever me despite a lack of skills, that bit of fun -- and many like it -- will be gone.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

DeafMetal, it's only better for people who sucked at driving in IV and didn't take the time to learn how to handle the variety of vehicles. It's not right to be able to hop in a car and drive just as well with five minutes of experience as opposed to five months. Takes the fun out of improving. Honestly, it's close to being on autopilot. 

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Obedient

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

I was also little after watching the leaks. Even it´s impossible to know how it feels based on a video footage, You must play it to feel it.

Now that I have played few hours, nothing wrong. It´s different from IV´s, more downforce but it´s not bad at all. Those who say it´s arcade or Saints Row are over-exaggerating.

You can do slides and it´s a challenge still to drive top speed with a sports car trying not to crash.

I´m not sure if IV´s handling would have even fit in V. The game seems to have much faster pace and I don´t want to collect my bones for 30 seconds after every crash.

I have played IV countless of hours and liked the handling. But I like V´s too.

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

This game would suck if we couldn't do any of the following: Drift, but we can so theres no room for saints row stuff here.

Deelow
  • Deelow

Ramen n00dz

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

The driving in V is wayyyyyy bettter. IMO. The smallest sh*t would send you flying in IV and it was so annoying. Maybe it was realistic but it made my playing experience worse lolololololol.

DA-FUNK-5555
  • DA-FUNK-5555

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

screw driving.... I can fly a plane again... then just jump out with a parachute. then bicycles come back. can you still bunny hop over cars like in San Andreas? mt bikes used to ball hard up mt Chiliad.

andym
  • andym

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Played for about 4 hours. Can't really seem to get a car to drift. It regains traction after the initial peel out. I also tried drifting in dirt, but it still holds a bit too much grip. It's not that bad, but still prefer IV's handling.

We need an option to switch to the old GTA 4 car handling.

Please sign this petition.

http://www.change.or...o-gta-4-style-2

No we dont!

DA-FUNK-5555
  • DA-FUNK-5555

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Petition for PC. Petition for Wii. Petition for driving change. Like R* or anyone else gives a damn about all you trolls and your petitions. Shut up with your petitions and be glad you have electricity and a means to play this game.

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

They are more arcadey. I love them. It's a video game..

D3L3TD
  • D3L3TD

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:36 PM Edited by D3L3TD, 17 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Honestly, I still like IV's physics. Don't ask why because I'm not to sure myself. I just like it.

I thought I was going to hate the physics in V, but after that

Spoiler
, I think that I'm going to enjoy it, it was surprisingly fun and the handling just feels good in general, to me anyway.

ElderTyrant
  • ElderTyrant

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

DeafMetal, it's only better for people who sucked at driving in IV and didn't take the time to learn how to handle the variety of vehicles. It's not right to be able to hop in a car and drive just as well with five minutes of experience as opposed to five months. Takes the fun out of improving. Honestly, it's close to being on autopilot. 

I loved IV and I love V, but...

It should take me 5 months to be able to drive effectively in a GAME?

Go play Gran Turismo, that'll help with your driving sim needs.

• DA-FUNK-5555 likes this

-Hurry-up
  • -Hurry-up

WOFP

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Its very amazing wooooow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users