» «
Photo

turn engine off and on?

60 replies to this topic
AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:45 AM Edited by AllenKS, 20 September 2013 - 10:47 AM.

Been playing about 3 hours now. Sadly this is something that did not make it into V. Every time you get out the engine turns off.

It's just another baffling omission by Rockstar North. I mean, they fix one thing, like able to watch TV without sitting down, but now I can't leave the engine running & the radio on when I leave the car. 

If I were a tester ton this game, I'd probably have gotten the sack. I would constantly have been putting in my notes "Why is this different?", "Why have you changed this?" & on & on.

Yeah.

Some of the things they took out.. Things that no one was complaining about is straight up weird. Food places, the car engine system, picking up and throwing random stuff, police missions..

But then they did other things in a similar area that means that they could have.. Buying Sprunk from soda machines is still in, so they have a food system in place. The removed the car engine system, but added in a similar system for the lights and convertible hoods. Picking up and throwing random sh*t is gone, but they have a system in place for having a ball in Franklin's inventory to throw around while Chop is with him. Police missions didn't make it, but then you have the bounty missions (which are entirely different, because you gotta find the bad guys with vague clues, instead of an APB and with police backup), and they have cab missions in so there's a system in place for getting missions from your vehicle.

It's all f*cking weird.. It's like they adapted those systems for the new sh*t, then figured "Well, all the old sh*t's gotta go now, there can only be 1."

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:02 AM Edited by jamieleng, 20 September 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Been playing about 3 hours now. Sadly this is something that did not make it into V. Every time you get out the engine turns off.

It's just another baffling omission by Rockstar North. I mean, they fix one thing, like able to watch TV without sitting down, but now I can't leave the engine running & the radio on when I leave the car. 

If I were a tester ton this game, I'd probably have gotten the sack. I would constantly have been putting in my notes "Why is this different?", "Why have you changed this?" & on & on.

Yeah.

Some of the things they took out.. Things that no one was complaining about is straight up weird. Food places, the car engine system, picking up and throwing random stuff, police missions..

But then they did other things in a similar area that means that they could have.. Buying Sprunk from soda machines is still in, so they have a food system in place. The removed the car engine system, but added in a similar system for the lights and convertible hoods. Picking up and throwing random sh*t is gone, but they have a system in place for having a ball in Franklin's inventory to throw around while Chop is with him. Police missions didn't make it, but then you have the bounty missions (which are entirely different, because you gotta find the bad guys with vague clues, instead of an APB and with police backup), and they have cab missions in so there's a system in place for getting missions from your vehicle.

It's all f*cking weird.. It's like they adapted those systems for the new sh*t, then figured "Well, all the old sh*t's gotta go now, there can only be 1."

I had way more fun with that feature in IV than was probably intended. If I startled a pedestrian & they dropped their coffee cup, phone, camera etc. I'd pick it up & lob it at them while shouting "Don't f*cking litter!". I understand that they pretty much started from scratch when developingthis game & something's were going to be removed & many other things added, but these small ways to interact with the environment, really adds to the immersion.

Anyway, I'm only 8% into the game & overall it's an incredible achievement for this gen (or any gen) & the pro's outweigh the con's by a very large margin.

• ThroatSlasher2 and BFR579 like this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

So annoying for getaways... or when your car is damaged. Whe you exit and enter again you have to start the engine again which takes even longer or it doesnt start anymore at all. That wouldnt be the case when you can the engine switched on like in IV

Fallout3
  • Fallout3

Cereal Killer

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

This is my issue with the game. They cut out too many small things from GTA IV that it kills a bit of the immersion. They got rid of fast food, hot dog vendors, turning off engine/leaving it on, removing bowling/cabaret/comedy, less interiors than promised, tv volume being quite low compared to GTA IV. It feels a bit unpolished and was unnecessary to remove/change.

• Hypertenzion likes this

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I got out of a car on it earlier and the engine was still running, could hear the radio in the background...

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

I got out of a car on it earlier and the engine was still running, could hear the radio in the background...

You can hear the radio's of other cars, which is a new feature. Like I said in my previous post, they add one thing & then remove another, with seemingly no reason.

antonyjamr
  • antonyjamr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I've figured out :p when you shoot a gun your character changes the way they move and they get out of cars without turning the engine off, the best way to do it is to use a silencer (suppressor) on a gun as to not get a wanted level, it only lasts about 5 seconds though, but try it for yourselfs go somehwere quite to try it out, hope this helps :D
  • Trevor_Phillips. likes this

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

You can hear the radio's of other cars, which is a new feature. Like I said in my previous post, they add one thing & then remove another, with seemingly no reason.

It was my car which I had been driving. I had crashed it and got it stuck on a railing so got out and the engine was still running with the radio playing.

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's been confirmed that we can turn on/off the engine.

Indeed it's been confirmed, but it's not implemented! :v:

This.

Yesterday I was with franklin and got into a position where I wouldn't be able to exit my car without teleporting out, the engine\radio stayed on.

It's there, you just can't control it like before.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

To Catch A Flame

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not a new feature. This is also in IV. 

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

I've figured out :p when you shoot a gun your character changes the way they move and they get out of cars without turning the engine off, the best way to do it is to use a silencer (suppressor) on a gun as to not get a wanted level, it only lasts about 5 seconds though, but try it for yourselfs go somehwere quite to try it out, hope this helps :D

Confirmed. It is a little bit stupid but it is the ONLY way to leave the engine running (apart from having wanted level and being chased by the cops. Stand near the car, shoot once, get in - wait until the engine starts running and immediately leave the car. Engine will still be on.

remondo
  • remondo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'd like this feature back, too. It was really useful for quick getaways and I felt like I was in control, now I just get shot while he pisses about with the magic key he found after hot wiring the car!

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

dont know how often I was shot only because I had to turn on the engine because I left it and the engine was switched of..

and that it sometimes takes like 3 seconds until it starts makes it even more worse...

JCFast
  • JCFast

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

I've tried pretty much every button combination or car trick I can come up with and just can't park a car with leaving the engine on like in GTA IV. Just happens randomly, wanted or not, speeding or not.

I wonder if it's a bug or they just didn't want us to get fast starts anymore, or maybe a memory constraint? Or just an omission...

Any idea on when Franklin steals a car without breaking the window? Is it also just random or related to the car's type or what?

Trevor_Phillips.
  • Trevor_Phillips.

I live for this sh*t!

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

this works thanks man no i can have butter smooth getaways

JCFast
  • JCFast

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

this works thanks man no i can have butter smooth getaways

Didn't work for me at least.

antonyjamr
  • antonyjamr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hey guys its me again, I've found if you punch it does the same as shooting w/ suppresseor, and as I saw someone didn't get it basically stand next to the car you want to leave the engine running on, then punch using 'O' or 'B' (make sure you don't hit your car or punch a civilian, then press triangle or Y and get in and as soon as the engine is running get out, sounds abit long winded but easy to do :p just a pain! Hope this helps again hahaa

Elemental716
  • Elemental716

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

It's not about turning the engine off. I want to keep it running and leave the door open so I can make a quick get away. Is that not possible? I know you can leave the door open but you have to get out then he automatically shut the door then you have to go open the door while holding the analog stick away from the car. 

• antonyjamr likes this

antonyjamr
  • antonyjamr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Doing what I say will leave the engine on and the door open

Cuicide
  • Cuicide

DCLXVI

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

I've tried pretty much every button combination or car trick I can come up with and just can't park a car with leaving the engine on like in GTA IV. Just happens randomly, wanted or not, speeding or not.

I wonder if it's a bug or they just didn't want us to get fast starts anymore, or maybe a memory constraint? Or just an omission...

Any idea on when Franklin steals a car without breaking the window? Is it also just random or related to the car's type or what?

Franklin is thug and he knows how to steal vehicles without causing attention (you know, living in hoods) 

Ibunshi
  • Ibunshi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

i have managed to leave the engine on twice now whilst getting out of the car, actually 3, but then i did not really pay attention to what i was doing.. i am still trying to figure out how it works, because it doesnt work every time i try.. i suppose it is just bit of a glitch..

but here is what i was doing.. basically hitting both the accelerator pedal and the brakes/reverse at the same time as i hit Y...

i think the timing is important as i did not notice doing anythign else but hit those buttons.. i am currently testing some variations, like hit the brakes first, and so on..

anyway.. it would have been awesome if they had kept it working as it did in gta 4.. i have lost count of the times i have died in gta 5 because of the car taking too long to start, all whilst being trapped in the car and being attacked... no time to get out and defend yourself because you have too little health left, and your only chance is if the car starts quick enough... and it sure takes it sweet time sometimes, lol

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

it's a weird thing to cut, now that you have heists and robberies all over the place.. Who the f*ck doesn't leave his runaway car with the engine running? 

Mugentl286
  • Mugentl286

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I learned how to do it but it doesn't happen all the time. When your driving, brake using LT/R2. Then right before the car is almost fully stopped, hold down LT/R2 and hold down Y/Triangle AT THE SAME TIME. You will then see the character pull the handbrake up then exiting the vehicle. Car will stay on

djim
  • djim

The helpful hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Stupidly only way i found out how to still do it was jumping out wile driving slowly.. Tho i hear this is buggy and might now work all the time?? O.o whhat the hell rockstar.

Teo265
  • Teo265

Perfectionist

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

It was so handy to leave the engine on in IV... I hope R* would fix/edit this in somewhat patch...

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

I honestly preferred it in IV where the radio would still be playing after you exited your car, and could hold down to turn the engine completely off. V just turns the engine off no matter what.

• Aaron030792 likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

To Catch A Flame

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:44 AM Edited by brootalperry, 16 November 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Old post, I know, but this is not a new feature. You can hear the radio of other cars in GTA IV as well. If you go to Bohan and walk on the side walk, you can here most of the cars playing San Juan sounds. Also if you sit in your car in a quiet place (especially with a muscle car) you can here the subtle sound of the engine idling, or when you get out with the engine off, the knocking sound that a hot engine makes. Very detailed and immersive.

Edit: Looks like I already somewhat posted this to you xD But at least I went into more detail this time :D

Also as someone else said, I think Rockstar took out some of these things for new features. Like there can only be 1 or the other. For having togglable headlights, you can't have a toggable (per se) engine. Don't know why though. Game engine limitation?

• jamieleng likes this

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:05 AM Edited by damian001, 04 December 2013 - 09:06 AM.

What are you on about? Toggable headlights were in GTA IV too. (Hold Square/X) Not a new feature.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

What are you on about? Toggable headlights were in GTA IV too. (Hold Square/X) Not a new feature.

You couldn't turn them off. Also, now you can turn them on even in daylight as opposed to IV where it only really lights up at night.

Craztheking
  • Craztheking

RaceKings Leader

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

A few options:
1: Dive out, but its hard to place your car correctly.
2: Park, attack a led (and get him to want to fight you) than jump in your car. Wait for him to pull you out. Kill the ped.
3: Park, have a friend pull you out, immeditly after pulling you out have them run away so they don't getin.
*2and3:Close door after*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users