Photo

GTA 5 freezing :(

73 replies to this topic
MeatButcher
  • MeatButcher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Omg listen to what I said lads!!!! Delete any games or saved data so the game can play

With the game installed, I have over 12gb free space.  How much free space does this game need??

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

same to me Old Xbox no hdmi and a hdd 20gb hopefully they will come out with a patch soon

Hulik
  • Hulik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Hulik, 18 September 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Im losin my f*ckin mind here.. Its NOT my ps3, its NOT the damn memory, i aint got no f*ckin dust in my ps3.. The damn game keeps freezin at the exact same spot it frooze before after i start the f*cking game for the trillion time.. I hear that this problem is poppin up everywhere, this is no coincidence.. This game is expensive enough.. So Rockstar step the f*ck up!!!!

pjhoody
  • pjhoody

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

original 360 with no hdmi 20gb hdd.  Freezes constantly.  Sometimes can play for 20min.  Sometimes for 3min.  Gonna buy a thumbstick tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Any luck with this? I'm in the same boat.

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:55 PM Edited by Remco079, 18 September 2013 - 06:14 PM.

I installed my GTA 5 install cd on a USB stick still freezing, now im trying with 720p i will also report back

That didnt work, i am now installing the play disk on the hdd

Jay_owl
  • Jay_owl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Well I put my console back to factory settings and it worked so dont know what gb ur ps3 is but it must be sh*t!

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

same issue here on xbox360 keeping an eye on this thread for a fix literally just got home from buying thew game this sucks lol

update i just went upstairs and got my brothers 360 and was able to get through it so 1 of these 4 things fixed it for me

1. different console (most likely)

2. i turned on subtitles

3. instead of being the guy in the red shirt when i entered the car i was the balding guy in the gray jacket

4. my brothers xbox wasnt connected to xbox live...needs an update i didnt feel like installing

hope this helps someone

update 2-started mission 2 on my console and guess what? froze again. so its either a console issue or just because my console is connected to xbox live not sure which but im just going to stick to playing on my brothers for now at least it works

Does your brother have a newer Xbox than you? or are they the same model?

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

I've been having the exact same issues with my Xbox. I picked up an older used one with the 20GB HDD for cheap yesterday and then bought the game.

Constantly freezes. Sometimes after 20 minutes, soonest was after about 30 seconds. I made it through the initial mission but now that I've got the whole city at my disposal I'm lucky to make it through one mission before it freezes.

It seems to last longer when tooling around the country. My assumption is there's less to load so it lasts a little longer.

I deleted everything off the HDD after I bought it. Reinstalled the install disc twice. Cleared my cache. Even took Netflix and Facebook off to clear more room. (I don't use XBL at the moment) and I still have this issue.

I can't believe its the disc. I personally think the older systems just can't keep up with the size of this game but I'm following this hoping for a cheaper solution than buying a new system.

DangeRanger6
  • DangeRanger6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

same problem with the old 360. keeps freezing from time to time. sometimes after 20min, sometimes after 2h...

here is what i tried so far amd what did not work:

1. installed play disc on a fast usb 3.0 32gb (game runs smoother now, but still froze)
2. disconnected xbox from intenet
3. turned autosaving off

i will also now try a different xbox, dont know what else to do.

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Just tried mine on a new slim 250gb Xbox. No issues.

I will chalk it up to the old Xboxes just not being able to keep up.

Kleepo
  • Kleepo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

Having the exact same issue as well. Game randomly freezes but luckily I made it past the intro mission. Still freezes usually after around 5 mins or so.

I have an orinal xbox 360 with no hdmi port. I'm noticing this is mainly with the older xboxs I hope there is a patch soon.

nikolajz1
  • nikolajz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

I've been having the exact same issues with my Xbox. I picked up an older used one with the 20GB HDD for cheap yesterday and then bought the game.

Constantly freezes. Sometimes after 20 minutes, soonest was after about 30 seconds. I made it through the initial mission but now that I've got the whole city at my disposal I'm lucky to make it through one mission before it freezes.

It seems to last longer when tooling around the country. My assumption is there's less to load so it lasts a little longer.

I deleted everything off the HDD after I bought it. Reinstalled the install disc twice. Cleared my cache. Even took Netflix and Facebook off to clear more room. (I don't use XBL at the moment) and I still have this issue.

I can't believe its the disc. I personally think the older systems just can't keep up with the size of this game but I'm following this hoping for a cheaper solution than buying a new system.

Same. I can free roam in the country for about an hour and a half before it freezes up. Anything in the city is from 1min-15 minutes before it goes. It really might be that the old xboxes just cant render the city. 

pjhoody
  • pjhoody

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I had the same issue with the constant freezing and I ended up taking GTA back to Walmart and exchanging it for a new copy. Worked like a charm. I just played for like 4 hours and it hasn't frozen once. This is after it would freeze every single time I played, usually before the game was done loading.

So if you've exhausted the other options like I did (wiping cache, wiping HDD, installing on a brand new USB drive, etc, etc) and nothing worked, the problem is more than likely the game itself.

FYI: I'm on the original XBOX 360 with a 20 gig HDD and a 16gb USB flash drive.

Kleepo
  • Kleepo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

I had the same issue with the constant freezing and I ended up taking GTA back to Walmart and exchanging it for a new copy. Worked like a charm. I just played for like 4 hours and it hasn't frozen once. This is after it would freeze every single time I played, usually before the game was done loading.

So if you've exhausted the other options like I did (wiping cache, wiping HDD, installing on a brand new USB drive, etc, etc) and nothing worked, the problem is more than likely the game itself.

Great to hear! I'm gonna try a fresh copy tomorrow. Hope it solves  my issues.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

^Goodluck. I borrowed a friends game who's definitely works and it freezes even more.  Old 360/no hdmi tried 10 or different installations.

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Lucky. Let us know if this changes at all or if it keeps working. Might try returning the disc if it does.. Although I feel like its probably my console.

Redmond91
  • Redmond91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well I put my console back to factory settings and it worked so dont know what gb ur ps3 is but it must be sh*t!

I have tried it doesn't work. My game has been freezing whenever it wants no specific times. Gonna have to wait for a patch. I have tried everything sadly nothing has worked.

Unicorn_Orgy
  • Unicorn_Orgy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Same problem. 

I've swapped out 2 copies at Gamestop (they couldn't get it working either, both times). Uninstalled/Reinstalled with each disc, cleared all caches, etc. 

I've loaded every other game I own, including a Rockstar title with no issue. 

I've had no success loading 2 of the 3 copies i've owned (in 24 hours) on my other console. 

Point is, it's not my console, and it isn't a memory issue. 

It's an issue with Rockstar and they need to recognize that and release a goddamn fix, rather than passing the buck and doing everything they can to avoid responsibility. 

I really expected *ALOT* more out of this company. 

• kingofallcosmos likes this

Redmond91
  • Redmond91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I really expected *ALOT* more out of this company.

It is all to easy to get mad at Rockstar. It is up to them to make the fix but it is most likely not their fault that this is happening. Imagine how many copies were pushed through the factory lines. Rockstar made their money back just from pre orders alone.

DangeRanger6
  • DangeRanger6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

just so we are talking about the same thing when it comes to "freezing":
when the game freezes with my xbox, the whole console freezes, so i cant go back into the xbox menu and restart the game, i have to shut down and restart the whole console. same with you guys?

1stworldproblems
  • 1stworldproblems

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

when the game freezes with my xbox, the whole console freezes, so i cant go back into the xbox menu and restart the game, i have to shut down and restart the whole console. same with you guys?

Yes.

darkangelism
  • darkangelism

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, hard freeze

Redmond91
  • Redmond91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

Yup same here

ed1234
  • ed1234

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:30 AM Edited by ed1234, 20 September 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Just wanted to add to the list.

40Gb PS3, quite old (2007/8) but works perfectly with all other games inc. all R* titles. Totally clean formatted disk. Story so far:

- Installed ok, hung on first 'Loading Story Mode'

- Restart, play through first mission, weird textures during intro credits, then hung

- Restart, replay first mission, hangs when required to press the up button to draw up the phone (maybe 30 seconds into the first mission). Doesn't hang until up button pressed - can run around indefinitely with NPCs getting increasingly mad

- Restart - same story

- Restart - try and load map - freeze

- Restart - try and press PS3 button - freeze.

Each of these freezes leads to a total hang - PS3 completely unresponsive.

Annoyingly, I have also bought the digital PSN copy (because it said I only needed 18Gb space, but actually you need 37+, which even on a formatted 40Gb PS3 you don't get). But I can't install that unless I buy a new HDD.

All very frustrating.

EDIT: Reset PS3 to factory settings, reload and so far so good. May be a coincidence, may not be. 

• kingofallcosmos likes this

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

That doesnt make sense though...The newer xbox's are not magically more powerful in any way...Exact same hardware, just with a bit of better cooling.  If it were an overheating issue, then you would be getting red rings.

Unicorn_Orgy
  • Unicorn_Orgy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

So when is an actual fix going to be offered? Maybe an update, or even acknowledgement from Rockstar at least telling us they are looking into it?

Everything I have read online says to check console, chec the disc, etc....but nothing, NOTHING AT ALL about a fix, or solution.

Are we just supposed to cut our losses, accept we got ripped off and forget GTA V ever came out?

Seriously Rock Star, WTF.

1stworldproblems
  • 1stworldproblems

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:47 PM Edited by 1stworldproblems, 20 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

Just wanted to add to the list.

40Gb PS3, quite old (2007/8) but works perfectly with all other games inc. all R* titles. Totally clean formatted disk. Story so far:

- Installed ok, hung on first 'Loading Story Mode'

- Restart, play through first mission, weird textures during intro credits, then hung

- Restart, replay first mission, hangs when required to press the up button to draw up the phone (maybe 30 seconds into the first mission). Doesn't hang until up button pressed - can run around indefinitely with NPCs getting increasingly mad

- Restart - same story

- Restart - try and load map - freeze

- Restart - try and press PS3 button - freeze.

Each of these freezes leads to a total hang - PS3 completely unresponsive.

Annoyingly, I have also bought the digital PSN copy (because it said I only needed 18Gb space, but actually you need 37+, which even on a formatted 40Gb PS3 you don't get). But I can't install that unless I buy a new HDD.

All very frustrating.

EDIT: Reset PS3 to factory settings, reload and so far so good. May be a coincidence, may not be. 

Interested in a status update - my situation is pretty identical to yours with the same console.  My reformat/reset to factory only worked for a few hours though.  Thinking of trying the digital PSN version if you end up getting that working versus the disk.  Hate to keep throwing money at R* though for BS issues.

Kleepo
  • Kleepo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

So when is an actual fix going to be offered? Maybe an update, or even acknowledgement from Rockstar at least telling us they are looking into it?

Everything I have read online says to check console, chec the disc, etc....but nothing, NOTHING AT ALL about a fix, or solution.

Are we just supposed to cut our losses, accept we got ripped off and forget GTA V ever came out?

Seriously Rock Star, WTF.

Yeah pretty much, that's what it feels like as of now.

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yes.

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

That doesnt make sense though...The newer xbox's are not magically more powerful in any way...Exact same hardware, just with a bit of better cooling.  If it were an overheating issue, then you would be getting red rings.

Well, all I know is it worked on a new console and not my older one. So nothing else makes sense to me unless there's some sort of coding in the game that isn't compatible with older consoles.

But if the internals are all the same as you say, then I have no idea what the issue is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users