Photo

Is the Offical Strategy Guide worth it?

12 replies to this topic
Roderick875
  • Roderick875

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

There is a Gamestop literally right across the street from my high school. I ordered my game from Amazon so that's coming but I didn't order a guide like I usually do. I was considering going and picking one up tomorrow after I get out of school. I know some places had been selling them early so, to anybody who already has one, is it worth getting? I don't want to waste my money but at the same time, it'd be nice to have one if it helps.

rjangelone
  • rjangelone

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

I feel like if you have access to the internet, every strategy guide is useless.

Deathpally
  • Deathpally

Peon

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

I feel like if you have access to the internet, every strategy guide is useless.

^This is my view on strategy guides as well. Also for me personally on all my games that I have owned I do not like looking at guides and like to figure things out myself (unless there is this one mission that I have failed plenty of times then I usually search online or something).

I am a bit short on cash after buying the Special Edition so I can't afford the guide even if I wanted it, I think in the case of GTA V it may be more worth it then previous guides since instead of just a guide for the storyline it will have all stats for vehicles/weapons/cloths(if there is armor).

Old_BenKenobi
  • Old_BenKenobi

Just a crazy old man.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

I agree, and I also think in general strategy guides are a buzzkill.

But I also remember my friend having the strategy guide for San Andreas and even though we didn't need it it was just really cool to basically have the entire game in book form.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

1st rule of living...if you can afford it, buy it.

crobert0247
  • crobert0247

Rock*

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:17 AM Edited by crobert0247, 17 September 2013 - 03:19 AM.

I agree, and I also think in general strategy guides are a buzzkill.

But I also remember my friend having the strategy guide for San Andreas and even though we didn't need it it was just really cool to basically have the entire game in book form.

Funny screen name.   :)  I had that strategy guide too and it quickly became a novelty item. Cool as freak to have but not a must point of reference when by default you went right to the internet for the info you wanted quickly.

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Honestly SG is only good for a collectible. If you have internet then you have a SG for free. 

gtaVallday
  • gtaVallday

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

There is an iOS app directly from Rockstar with over 100 pages. Best of all its free!

Coltfanjay
  • Coltfanjay

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I hope they make an android app for it, as well

ShadowPaws
  • ShadowPaws

Machinima Director

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

In my opinion, nope.
I feel games are more enjoyable by figuring stuff out by yourself yknow.

FrozenInferno
  • FrozenInferno

Heisenberg

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have the strategy guides for all of my favorite games, including all PS3 Assassins Creed releases, Red Dead Redemption, and the hardcover GTAV version is ordered and on the way. They are more for collectibility and to have everything I would want to know about the game available in hard copy format that I can flip through any time. As a collectible they are great, definitely buy it. If you actually want it to help you beat the game I'd say stick to the Internet.

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

I got the guide, but I'm not going to use it until I've actually completed the game and even then only for stuff I'm genuinely stuck on.

I understand what people are saying about the internet, but personally I think it's a lot nicer to have a physical copy you can refer to.  Saying that though this is the first SG I've bought since 2003! 

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

Get on Up

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think its worth it . There are gonna be things in there that you may not find unless your looking around for countless hours .

Think of all the collectibles in SA . Id still be looking for them without a guide or the internet .

Though im sure all the info will be up on the net eventually . If you like to search for sh*t on your own don't get it .

I don't have patience to go lookin for 200 pigeons or 50 dam oysters so for me its worth it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users