Photo

a question about hooking up a console to a monitor

4 replies to this topic
kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 16 September 2013 - 11:05 PM.

i use a samsung monitor instead of a tv as a display to my ps3. so there's this one setting under SETUP&RESET which only says HDMI: and there's two options: PC and AV. and picture really changes when switched to other. (darker when set as AV but can be brighten up later by playing with the COLOR settings), so which one do i choose? is a console an AV device? or is it better to keep it as PC? what's the difference? i'm actually triying to calibrate the settings just for gta v btw any other advices are welcome.

s-paco
  • s-paco

Still here.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

When i had my console hooked up to my monitor, i had set it to PC mode as well. To be honest i never looked at the settings again, i never needed to.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

So basically you're just looking to calibrate your monitor for your console.

Do you also use the monitor for your PC?

If so does the image change when you switch between the 2 inputs?

If so then that's a problem. If not then that's good.

It's assume for a moment that you are using it for both PC and console and that the image does not change (or doesn't change much) when you switch between them.

Check your DVD movie collection, it's likely you'll find some that have some a TV calibration tool some where in the extras or setup menus. The movie The Increditibles is a good example of this. Run through that. It'll help you to adjust the brightness and contrast. Those are the 2 really important ones. After that the rest of test most likely help you since I've any monitor that has a Sharpness setting and a few that have settings to control the Red, Green, Blue levels.

Another options, since the 2 inputs doesn't change their view, is to use your PC to and Google: monitor calibration. There you'll find a few dozen sites that can help you calibrate it correctly. If you can go to web sites on the console then do it there as well just to make sure there is little to no difference.

Other than there isn't really much of a right or wrong way to calibrate the monitor. It really comes down to what looks best to you. If you don't like the way it looks when you follow the calibration tools, then at least to what it should be for a good base line that you can then tweak to however you like.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:31 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 18 September 2013 - 09:36 PM.

So basically you're just looking to calibrate your monitor for your console.

Do you also use the monitor for your PC?

If so does the image change when you switch between the 2 inputs?

If so then that's a problem. If not then that's good.

It's assume for a moment that you are using it for both PC and console and that the image does not change (or doesn't change much) when you switch between them.

Check your DVD movie collection, it's likely you'll find some that have some a TV calibration tool some where in the extras or setup menus. The movie The Increditibles is a good example of this. Run through that. It'll help you to adjust the brightness and contrast. Those are the 2 really important ones. After that the rest of test most likely help you since I've any monitor that has a Sharpness setting and a few that have settings to control the Red, Green, Blue levels.

Another options, since the 2 inputs doesn't change their view, is to use your PC to and Google: monitor calibration. There you'll find a few dozen sites that can help you calibrate it correctly. If you can go to web sites on the console then do it there as well just to make sure there is little to no difference.

Other than there isn't really much of a right or wrong way to calibrate the monitor. It really comes down to what looks best to you. If you don't like the way it looks when you follow the calibration tools, then at least to what it should be for a good base line that you can then tweak to however you like.

first off thanks for the reply. 

i don't use it for both pc and ps3. i only use it for ps3. and there is a setting under SETUP&RESET part of the monitors settings window which says HDMI:, and there's two options: PC and AV. i assume a console is an AV device not a PC? but it's really dark when set to AV. tried tweaking the color settings (red green blue levels) and other picture settings (brightness contrast sharpness) but just couldn't get it right. doesn't feel natural like when in PC mode. any thoughts? 

and i'm pretty sure there aren't such tool in one of my dvd's. 

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:51 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 20 September 2013 - 04:51 PM.

If your PS3 has a HDMI port, then use HDMI. Never mind which is darker or lighter, if we assume for a second they were the same, the HDMI will give you a better quality over all.
By AV can I assume you mean it uses a yellow video port and a red and left audio? If so, that's another reason you want to use HDMI.

Don't worry about messing with the red, green blue settings unless you seriously have to. Just worry about the brightness and contrast.

If the PS3 has a web browser, then use that. Might not be the best thing to use but it should work well enough.
I've very surprised you don't have at least one movie on DVD or Blu-ray that doesn't have anything like that. Just about any Disney movie. In fact if you go here and look you might find that you do have a movie that has it. There are 340 movies listed, so there's a good chance you have at least one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users