Photo

[Install] Xbox 360 Play Disc HDD Installation Issue

70 replies to this topic
ash82
  • ash82

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't fully understand. Surely the game is better installed to the hard drive then running straight from the disk? Also, if Rockstar recommend not installing the second disk then why are people using USB drives? Can someone explain the difference please? And why didn't Rockstar give us this information before?
  • hhamzah99 likes this

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:11 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 19 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Disc 1 to HDD
Disc 2 to High speed USB

This is the most efficient combination, with a gain of 4MB/sec read speed over the DVD drive. (Improved performance)

Now i can recommend a high speed USB sticks, that exceed the speeds of the requirement by quite a bit.

SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB 3.0 - 190MB/s Read (Capped at 15mb/s USB 2.0) ReadyBoost available (Small files read quick)

http://www.amazon.co...extreme usb 3.0

I sell these at my shop to all Xbox users when they tell me they want to install games (Before GTA V even) Super fast, decent price.

Use it myself, barely ever had pop up with dvd, with this, i seem to have NONE.

(used this as well with the BF3 HD patch - Same issue with the installation on the same drive)

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

This game has now completely deleted my flash drive twice, and always overnight when I'm not playing it. I'm losing my mind wih this crap.

DryBomber5
  • DryBomber5

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Disc 1 to HDD
Disc 2 to High speed USB
This is the most efficient combination, with a gain of 4MB/sec read speed over the DVD drive. (Improved performance)

Now i can recommend a high speed USB sticks, that exceed the speeds of the requirement by quite a bit.
SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB 3.0 - 190MB/s Read (Capped at 15mb/s USB 2.0) ReadyBoost available (Small files read quick)http://www.amazon.co...extreme usb 3.0
I sell these at my shop to all Xbox users when they tell me they want to install games (Before GTA V even) Super fast, decent price.
Use it myself, barely ever had pop up with dvd, with this, i seem to have NONE.
(used this as well with the BF3 HD patch - Same issue with the installation on the same drive)

I just ordered one, will be arriving in less than a week. I hope it makes a difference.. I do have a question though. Will I eventually have to buy another one, because someone posted that after a while the USB flash drives lose their power or something along those lines.

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:32 AM Edited by sonic_blue, 20 September 2013 - 12:37 AM.

Just some info...

You will need at least a 16GB drive (8GB won't be enough).

You can use http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20   to test the read speed of your USB drive.   Mine is 18mbps and passes the intro montage test without any pop-ins.

When you install the disc2 to USB stick at the xbox dashboard, it will erase, format and then test the drive for speed.   You will lose all your data on the drive. 

Xbox dashboard reported that my USB drive wasn't fast enough as it failed the speed test, however 18mbps is still quicker than the DVD drive speed and I don't get any pop-ins (tested with install to HDD and did get very noticeable pop-ins) so it seems to be fast enough.

Verbatim "tuff n tiny" drive seems to have the best read speed, at 30mbps (http://www.storagere...sb_drive_review)

Gunde
  • Gunde

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Disc 1 to HDD
Disc 2 to High speed USB

SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 16GB 3.0 - 190MB/s Read (Capped at 15mb/s USB 2.0) ReadyBoost available (Small files read quick)

I have this one but with 32 GB. I'm still having pop-in issues. Next thing to try is formatting the hard drive.

Spartas Edge
  • Spartas Edge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

didnt work..disk 1 now on my xbox hdd, disk 2 on usb flash drive...and still huuuuuge pop-ins...shame on u R*..why let the current console era suffer?

Are you using a fast Flash Stick? You need to use a flash stick that has a read speed of 15 Mbps or faster, or you may suffer performance issues.

Spartas Edge
  • Spartas Edge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Disc 1 to HDD
Disc 2 to High speed USB

I have this one but with 32 GB. I'm still having pop-in issues. Next thing to try is formatting the hard drive.

I agree, and good post with the Stick recomendations :)

martindn
  • martindn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:47 PM Edited by martindn, 21 September 2013 - 04:48 PM.

Hello there everyone.

Bought my copy today at about 9:30 am, its now 17:45 and for the last 8 hours i have done nothing but reformat, reinstall, and clear the system cache. I have an older Xbox 360 pro with a 13gb hard drive. I insert the install disc as requested it installs fine, but as soon as i put in the play disc boom i either restart or freeze on loading story mode with a nice little alert about "problem with storage drive" Now i can install other games and play from the hard drive such as skyrim, but this just wont have none of it.

After the first restart it sticks at loading straight away without another mention of problem with storage etc, if i clear my system cache without a reinstall it loads up fine again to which it then restarts (with the fresh freeze)

I cant really afford to pay £20 for a usb stick to play a game that i paid £45.99 just this morning. Infuriated is not even a suitable adjective at this point.

statiCCero
  • statiCCero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:57 PM Edited by statiCCero, 22 September 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Hey there,

Thought I would post how I solved my pop-in texture problem. Hopefully it will help someone else.

My initial setup :  Disk One installed to an Old 360 Pro with 20GB Hard drive. Play disk installed to an older usb hard drive (500GB) that shows up as not meeting minimum performance requirements. 

I figured it was the usb drive that was the problem, so I went out and bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB  (it did meet the minimum performance requirements.) I installed Play disk to this usb and still had the same exact pop-up problems as before (I used the Eurogamer Digital Foundry method of testing the intro cut scene.) 

I knew it had to be my 360's hard drive, so I moved my Disk One install to the new Sandisk and left the Play disk on the old usb hard drive. This solved the problem for me. 

I haven't tried to format my 360's hard drive to see if that works. Might try that later, but for now, installing to two different usb flash drives seems to work great.

TL;DR  If you're still having pop up problems even when you install the Play disk to a usb flash drive, it's probably your 360's hard drive.

martindn
  • martindn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Can i use this for usb install?

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004I5A9NQ

Jack188817
  • Jack188817

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

So to summarise.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 DVD - if you have pop in, your DVD drive is faulty.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 Flash Drive >15mbs - if you still have pop in your HDD is faulty

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive Disk 2 DVD - Has anyone tried this?

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive (1) Disk 2 ~ Flash Drive (2) - does this work?

I have problems with disk 1 HDD and disk 2 DVD. No crashes but severe pop in and jaggedness, will revert with answer if this solves the problem

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by Prometheus, 22 September 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Can i use this for usb install?

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004I5A9NQ

I believe it is compatible.

E: Edited in some of the above posts to the OP, hopefully they come across as useful.

Gcode5959
  • Gcode5959

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

ok, me and all of my friends have both disc's installed and it runs smoother and better, you just need to make sure ur have extra room left on your harddrive and do a system cache 3X times to make sure it works 

lanier03
  • lanier03

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:19 AM Edited by lanier03, 23 September 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Someone can tell me what USB Drive I need?
What properties does it need?

USB 2.0 and it needs a reading speed, that is equal or above the disc drive. I think, that 20mb/s is enough, but i will see it for myself later this day. Or do you mean an USB-Hard Drive?

XBOX sells USB drives made specifically for their consoles. Gamestop I know has them. It's an XBOX brand of USB drive

Jack188817
  • Jack188817

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

FYI, installing Disk 2 to a usb improved my pop-in & frame rate dramatically.

Still have a sh*tty resolution though http://gtaforums.com...olution/page-11

jesskidding
  • jesskidding

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

My game is freezing constantly and the pop ins of buildings and roads make it impossible to play (takes about 10 sec for everything to pop in, sometime it doesn't pop in at all) followed directly by freezing for 10 or so sec, it's a vicious cycle,

anyway just wondering if it would be worth a shot to use a friends install disc, who had no problems with install/gameplay, then run off my play disc, to see if it fixes everything and point blame to a bad install disc?

seagalogist
  • seagalogist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hi guys.

I (think) I have a 1st gen xbox that had repaired RROD, 13GB HDD, 32GB usb 3.0 flash memory.

No games of late have given me problems, for all intents and purposes this machine has ran like a dream for years.

I installed GTA V, disc 1 on the xbox HD, and I have 2-3 GB free still (after deleting almost everything). I tried all other ways to run the game (disc 2), installing it to the flash drive, running the disc, etc.

I get 2 outcomes:

1 - the installation gets to 42-44% and the disc drive starts slowing down (seemingly) and struggling... then the dirty disc error appears

2- i try to run the game from the disc, get to the initial loading screen and the disc drive slows down, seems to struggle, freezes/ crashes the machine.

I'm playing other games perfectly, I'm at a loss to explain this. Should I just take a hit and get a new xbox... that would be a crock of sh*t solution... the game is brand new, without a scratch.

Marck527
  • Marck527

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Installed the Install disc on a USB 3.0 and play disk on another 16 gb USB 2. Works fine, no problems here and I noticed it loads a bit faster than when it loaded from the disk.

idealist
  • idealist

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:15 PM Edited by idealist, 26 September 2013 - 06:17 PM.

LMAO.  Bought a brand new 360, and a 2nd brand new disc.  Came home to troubleshoot.  Cleared cache, deleted all previous info and installs, now it is stuck on installing (1479/7876 MB).  Note I purchased a brand new XBOX 360 yesterday with a brand new 250 gig drive.

Already tried the USB 2.0 and 3.0 options as well; deleted cache and installs after each failed attempt.

I love how following Rockstar's advice to "fix" these problems actually creates more problems.

Rockstar fix your broke-ass game!

RageKage
  • RageKage

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Game was running perfectly from the disc since it's release, then pop ins started to occur. Since then i have tried installing;

Disc 1 - HDD and Disc 2 - Compatible flash drive (16gb, max read of 15mb/s) 
also
Disc 1 - Compatible flash drive and Disc 2 - HDD 

However after both configurations i get an error message when i try and run GTA 5 from the games library that i need to insert Disc 2 to play. I haven't come across any other posts with this sort of problem and i was wondering if it was something other people have encountered?

GrlGmr
  • GrlGmr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have the physical version of the game, and am also experiencing some texture pop in just like the video. The only problem is, I never installed the play disc. My 360 is a black slim with the 250 GB drive, the previous version to the current model. Hard drive space is not the issue, since it has over 200 GB free. The pop in doesn't happen constantly, but often enough to notice.

Is this normal, and if not would installing the play disc to a USB stick fix it?

Ice1980
  • Ice1980

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I'm curious if it's safe to install the second play disk yet? If I did what would happen to my overall game experience? Would I lose ay saved game files? I've been playing running the second disk just fine, but curious to see what would happen if I install it? Any help would be appreciated!!

EarthBoundX5
  • EarthBoundX5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

So to summarise.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 DVD - if you have pop in, your DVD drive is faulty.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 Flash Drive >15mbs - if you still have pop in your HDD is faulty

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive Disk 2 DVD - Has anyone tried this?

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive (1) Disk 2 ~ Flash Drive (2) - does this work?

I have problems with disk 1 HDD and disk 2 DVD. No crashes but severe pop in and jaggedness, will revert with answer if this solves the problem

Wow...texture pop in is not conclusive evidence to determine faulty hardware...

Rule of Two
  • Rule of Two

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

The texture loading and object loading is NOT going to be sped up by installing the second disc (gameplay disc) to an external hard drive. The reason there's textures loading in late is because of the limitations of the hardware and the game engine itself.

GTA 5 isn't the first game with textures loading noticeably late and it won't be the last.

Peck R. Wood
  • Peck R. Wood

rural crime lord & pastor

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

:: Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 DVD - if you have pop in, your DVD drive is faulty. ::

This is my case, so what do I do?

synchro_w
  • synchro_w

LOSE THE PIGS!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

not sure if this will help but i installed all data on my very old xbox360 Pro with a 120gb HDD. i have 6 of these 120Gb HDDs so it's understandable why i have 2 old xboxes.

initially i noticed 2 vehicles appearing in front of me whilst driving [v.dangerous!] but after a week no more pop ins/outs.

i'm up to 31% now & trevor has met michael and there've been no issues that i've noticed in any way.

i'd say up to the first 15% there were 2 crashes/lockups and the pop ins but that was it. game has been perfectly fine since. was most worried about flying but i have put a lot of time into exploring every area in-game so my xbox has at least seen easily 90% of the known area outdoors. possibly that's why i haven't had issues?

i have to say i did make a point of trying to explore as much of the game area as possible cos it's just a habit i've had w all GTA games.

synchro_w
  • synchro_w

LOSE THE PIGS!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

I'm curious if it's safe to install the second play disk yet? If I did what would happen to my overall game experience? Would I lose ay saved game files? I've been playing running the second disk just fine, but curious to see what would happen if I install it? Any help would be appreciated!!

i'm gonna say it's safe and what issues there are are so small i'm not worried. my game is running fine on my old xbox pro on 120gb HDD & i just cannot say the game is faulty because it just isn't for me. it works fine. i noticed there've been about 4 patches to the game so possibly that's R* fixin some issues?

i have certainly suffered more issues w drivers etc on PC games than i have pop ins or crashes from my xbox on this game. 

what can i say? i installed both discs and it works fine! and i bought the game 3 days after release.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

So this also stops the PLAY disc from spinning in the tray during play too? My 250G Slim is overheating like a mofo.

Also kinda dusty inside but not much I can do now without voiding warranty.

hmpyoi2003
  • hmpyoi2003

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

GTA V completed on dodgy xbox. I found that killing my self on the traveling parts during a mission that your stuck on and keeps resetting. autosave kicks in and then youll be able to complete the mission/s. Its allways worked for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users