Quantcast

» «
Photo

[Install] Xbox 360 Play Disc HDD Installation Issue

69 replies to this topic
Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by Prometheus, 22 September 2013 - 07:20 PM.

So it seems that installing the Second/'Play' disc to your X360's hard drive isn't recommended; as you'll notice texture pop-in issues. Digital Foundry suggests to install it to a USB Flash Drive + made a wee comparison video below for V's Play disc installed on HDD and a Flash drive.

So that's one solution. Perhaps there are alternate ways to fix this problem? Post your related issues/theories/idea/etc below.

Useful Posts:

Hey there,

Thought I would post how I solved my pop-in texture problem. Hopefully it will help someone else.

My initial setup :  Disk One installed to an Old 360 Pro with 20GB Hard drive. Play disk installed to an older usb hard drive (500GB) that shows up as not meeting minimum performance requirements. 

I figured it was the usb drive that was the problem, so I went out and bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB  (it did meet the minimum performance requirements.) I installed Play disk to this usb and still had the same exact pop-up problems as before (I used the Eurogamer Digital Foundry method of testing the intro cut scene.) 

I knew it had to be my 360's hard drive, so I moved my Disk One install to the new Sandisk and left the Play disk on the old usb hard drive. This solved the problem for me. 

I haven't tried to format my 360's hard drive to see if that works. Might try that later, but for now, installing to two different usb flash drives seems to work great.

TL;DR  If you're still having pop up problems even when you install the Play disk to a usb flash drive, it's probably your 360's hard drive.

So to summarise.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 DVD - if you have pop in, your DVD drive is faulty.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 Flash Drive >15mbs - if you still have pop in your HDD is faulty

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive Disk 2 DVD - Has anyone tried this?

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive (1) Disk 2 ~ Flash Drive (2) - does this work?

I have problems with disk 1 HDD and disk 2 DVD. No crashes but severe pop in and jaggedness, will revert with answer if this solves the problem

Useful Links:

http://gtaforums.com...x360-read-this/

• Dragon082 likes this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Someone can tell me what USB Drive I need?
What properties does it need?

IchliebeDeutscheland
  • IchliebeDeutscheland

Sündenbock

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:25 PM Edited by IchliebeDeutscheland, 16 September 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Someone can tell me what USB Drive I need?
What properties does it need?

USB 2.0 and it needs a reading speed, that is equal or above the disc drive. I think, that 20mb/s is enough, but i will see it for myself later this day. Or do you mean an USB-Hard Drive?

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:28 PM Edited by Prometheus, 16 September 2013 - 10:29 PM.

16GB USB2 Flash.

E: What above said.

SausageInACan
  • SausageInACan

كافر

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Is it true rockstar said not to download it? And does using a flash-drive truly fix this problem?

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

Is it true rockstar said not to download it? And does using a flash-drive truly fix this problem?

I wouldn't install both discs, and yes it is true that they said not to do so,

What would a flash drive have to do with anything?

SausageInACan
  • SausageInACan

كافر

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

I wouldn't install both discs, and yes it is true that they said not to do so,

What would a flash drive have to do with anything?
Have you read the posts above?

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

I thought you only needed to install the mandatory disk, and then you use the other disk to just play?

audi009
  • audi009

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have a 1gb seagate extrernal drive. I'll put the second disk on that then.

Mistress
  • Mistress

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:27 AM Edited by Mistress, 17 September 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Since its my first game installation ever, how exactly do i need to do it? Insert CD 1 and then? :D

Oh and how do i 'avoid' that disc 2 is getting installed? Just shut down the console before switching discs?

IchliebeDeutscheland
  • IchliebeDeutscheland

Sündenbock

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:43 AM Edited by IchliebeDeutscheland, 17 September 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Since its my first game installation ever, how exactly do i need to do it? Insert CD 1 and then? :D

Oh and how do i 'avoid' that disc 2 is getting installed? Just shut down the console before switching discs?

You put in Disc 1, start the game and the game asks you to install the disc. That's it. If you want to install the Game Disc, you have to do it through the dashboard, (with X) it's not automatic, means: if you insert the play-disc it won't get installed, untill you chose to install it.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

It's optional. Again you can install Disc 2 to a flash drive instead of the Xbox's HDD to avoid the texture pop-in issues, as seen in the comparision video above.

Mistress
  • Mistress

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Alright, sounds simple. Thanks :)

Punkd
  • Punkd

Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

didnt work..disk 1 now on my xbox hdd, disk 2 on usb flash drive...and still huuuuuge pop-ins...shame on u R*..why let the current console era suffer?

thompsonx
  • thompsonx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hello

I was wondering if there is a possibilty to install the whole (both disc1 and 2) game on an external hard drive (hp pd500) on an Xbox 360 Arcade and play the game without no problems? 

Since xbox 360 arcade doesn't have an hard drive and there is not enough space on the memory card I have come to ask if this is possible?

Thanks!

Pgh80
  • Pgh80

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Okay - not a huge gamer, so please take it easy on me here....:)

So, I have an Xbox 360.  I put in disc one and it's telling me "There is not enough space on storage device: Memory Unit.".  Any suggestions? I've already deleted past games taking up space.  All I have is saved is GTA IV and it's 764 KB and NHL 14 at 34 MB. 

What's the problem? Should I delete the 764 KB?

Pgh80
  • Pgh80

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

So, I deleted the GTA IV 764 KB, turned off my console and when I was signing into my profile, below it said, "675 G Memory Unit".  Is this not enough space to properly install disc one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hello

I was wondering if there is a possibilty to install the whole (both disc1 and 2) game on an external hard drive (hp pd500) on an Xbox 360 Arcade and play the game without no problems? 

Since xbox 360 arcade doesn't have an hard drive and there is not enough space on the memory card I have come to ask if this is possible?

Thanks!

I believe you can. Here's a simple vid showing so, hope it's not outdated.

• Virus115 likes this

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:49 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 17 September 2013 - 11:49 PM.

didnt work..disk 1 now on my xbox hdd, disk 2 on usb flash drive...and still huuuuuge pop-ins...shame on u R*..why let the current console era suffer?

What kind of usb do you use.. if its slower than the DVD drive then yeah..  (11mb/s)

DF should have noted that you need atleast the 15 MB/s read or preferably higher for this kind of thing, and new too.. USB sticks start slowing down after a few months of use..

HanPL
  • HanPL

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

I can confirm that installing second Disc (Play ) on USB stick works like a charm.

No fps drops, textures pop up, freezing etc everything run's smooth as butter :D

Disc 1 installed on HDD (120GB Microsoft ) and Disc 2 (Play ) on Pendrive GOODRAM 16GB Twister (speed read 20mb/s+ )

D-Bomb129
  • D-Bomb129

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:09 AM

I installed both disks because I didn't see the option to not install it. Everything is working fine as far as my experience. I would like my disk drive to be inactive though. I'm a bit confused, are both disk only needed for online play (which I won't be using)? 

Gunde
  • Gunde

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I can confirm that installing second Disc (Play ) on USB stick works like a charm.

No fps drops, textures pop up, freezing etc everything run's smooth as butter :D

Unfortunately not for me :(

Guess I have to try playing of the disc.

methwow92
  • methwow92

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Disc 2 instajlled to my fast USB made things worse for me

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:50 AM Edited by Prometheus, 18 September 2013 - 10:51 AM.

DF should have noted that you need atleast the 15 MB/s read or preferably higher for this kind of thing, and new too.. USB sticks start slowing down after a few months of use..

Quoting TRB here for all the people who still get texture pop-ins even after installing Disc 2 on a USB stick.

Gunde
  • Gunde

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Quoting TRB here for all the people who still get texture pop-ins even after installing Disc 2 on a USB stick.

Mine is brand new 20 MB/s. Still many pop-ins.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Mine is brand new 20 MB/s. Still many pop-ins.

Well I don't know much as Xbox unfortuantely. Just check if you completely deleted the the data from the HDD - if you installed it in the first place, and maybe more details on your USB drive would help.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Use a USB 3.0 it will maximise the speed possible by USB 2.0

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Be careful, I installed and saved to my thumbdrive and today found the entire thumb drive erased for no reason. I lost everything and had to restart the game, although I had only made it to Trevor.

Mefodman0316
  • Mefodman0316

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

I installed the first disc onto a flash drive, them when prompted to put disc two in I did. When asked I chose my hdd and made it past the intro mission. Finally, will see how long it lasts

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by iNero, 19 September 2013 - 01:59 AM.

What kind of usb do you use.. if its slower than the DVD drive then yeah..  (11mb/s)

So people would have to buy a new stick every few months?!?
Bullsh*t..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users