Quantcast

» «
Photo

Car Damage & Driving Mechanics can be fixed. :)

29 replies to this topic
NickStone
  • NickStone

My member doesn't have a title.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:54 PM Edited by NickStone, 16 September 2013 - 12:54 PM.

I've been hearing rumors of how "bad" the game is, but I'm still much more excited to find out for myself. And if it's really THAT bad, Rockstar will take notice to the (probably millions) of complaints, and shouldn't have much problem at all releasing an update that fixes everything. They're not gonna just roll over and say "Oh well, our Big Bad V was a flop, moving on...", they're going to fix it.

I've been hearing rumors of how "bad" the game is, but as to not spoil it for myself, I've refrained from viewing any of the leaked content. I'm just going by the responses I've accidentally read here in the forums. I don't know how bad the car damage and driving mechanics are, the two things I've heard about the most, but I know that if it's really that bad, Rockstar shouldn't have much problem at all releasing an update that fixes everything. They're not gonna just roll over and say "Oh well, our Big Bad V was a flop, moving on...", I believe they will fix it.

My question, for you guys to answer for yourselves, this guy who leaked the gameplay video that has everyone all up in arms about car damage and driving mechanics, did he have access to a game update? Has anyone, who received the game so far been able to update it? It could've already been fixed, and we'll receive the update after midnight. If not, Rockstar can fix it and send out updates, just like they do with all their games -- I bought EfLC on release day, and if I remember right, it already had an update waiting -- and incidentally Volition did as well, for Saints Row 3 and 4, so this's kind've a standard practice...they would likely have some down-time between pressing the discs and release day, why not use that time to polish up the code and prepare an update? :)

Regarding car damage and driving mechanics...I'm sure that's gonna take a bit more than just rewriting a few lines of code. I have no idea how game programming works, so it could be as simple as some scripting for the driving mechanics, remodeling hundreds of textures for car damage, or as serious as a small overhaul on the game engine. I'm sure it'll take some time to do what needs to be done and release an update, but it CAN be done, and as corny as it sounds, all of us can band together to petition Rockstar to do it, if needed. We don't have to come out and say "we'll incite a boycott", but we can point out the fact that this serious flaw in the game can hurt their post-release sales, as well as sales from future DLC.

We already know that Rockstar staff (how high up?) read these forums, and I'm sure they'll take this to heart - especially when they see how big of a deal this is. But if it comes down to it, there are ways of making your voice heard louder than just some words on the forum. You can draft a letter to mail to Rockstar's main offices - hell, mail that letter to ALL their offices - and share your letter with others, encouraging them to do the same. In other situations, I've done this and I've seen it done, and I've seen results from it. You just have to put the controller down and do some footwork. What you get out of something, is directly equal to what you put into it, so don't expect taking 5 seconds to post one sentence on a messageboard to yield results. Going as far as sending a typed, professionally-worded letter to their main offices are the best wasy to be heard. This will work best if one person gathers the mailing addresses, another drafts the letters, and post it all, encouraging hundreds of others to do it as well.

Anyway, that's just one idea. I'm hoping it won't come to that, and they'll recognize what needs to be done. Just remember that even if they don't announce it, doesn't mean that they're not working on it -- and it could take some time, so patience is a virtue!

And in the meantime, just enjoy the game as-is, because to me, cruising around a brand new Los Santos in my little dark-red Futo is a HELL of a lot more than I had last week. :)

Thebigmoose
  • Thebigmoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

nothing wrong with the car damage or the driving mechanics

steve bambar
  • steve bambar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

didnt_read_gif_kgk9.gif

• Danielpls, AsPalacesBurn and dreadluxx like this

LadyFondou
  • LadyFondou

High-Life

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

You didn't look at the leaks, and you say it can be fixed.

Get out.

domespeciali
  • domespeciali

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Handling has been tighened up on bikes and cars. You dont feel like every car weighs 10 tons now. If you liked the GTA IV car mechanics (I did) and you have 100hz signal processing on you HDTV, turn it on and you get a similar effect. Does make shooting very difficult though as it pushed the input lag on my TV to about 60ms

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:16 PM Edited by iFight, 16 September 2013 - 01:17 PM.

I noticed weird things from gameplay leaks, Micheal or whoever hit a car with his bike but he didn't fall.

I wonder if this some kind of anti-piracy thing or it's a bug and they didn't really test the game.

I'm still going to buy it though.

domespeciali
  • domespeciali

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think in certain situations the physics is relaxed. I have hit cars and people while riding a cycle and nothing happened. Other times i've popped the wheel on a kerb and gone flying. If they used 100% physics from everything, the character would probably fall over going up a flight of steps...

gevebe
  • gevebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sign This.....

http://www.change.or...etition_created

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

Yes, the vehicle mechanics are that bad.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

The game is great... including the car damage and handling.... nothing to fix

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by lizardman563, 30 September 2013 - 02:15 AM.

Nothing is broken, so what is there to fix?

It isn't a matter of things being broken, it's a matter of entitled millenial twits crying about how the handling of GTA IV, (which they hated when it first came out by the way) was not included in GTA V as it was. Certainly they are either unaware or purposely ignorant to the fact that far more people complained about GTA IV's handling then GTA V's. 

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

Only Zuul

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

Yeah Rockstar shouldn't have a problem just simply patching the physics of their engine, no problem at all just a quick fix!

Are you really this dense? Rockstar isn't patching the driving or damage so just drop it already and get used it.

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

yeah the leaks made the car handling look bad but after playing they are pretty nice (more fun than previous games actually)

• mattymcs likes this

Smokin Aces
  • Smokin Aces

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

I'll be honest, when you first play the game, like the second you start driving, it is a tad bit different. A lot different actually. Almost like its a bit too easy and arcady. Nothing like GTA IV at all and it does leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth.

My advice though, give it a chance. Once you get used to it, the car physics actually make a lot more sense than IV and they are BETTER. You'll start to feel the weight of different cars and trucks and how they handle after you play the game for a few days.

CRASHER69
  • CRASHER69

The Rottweiller Gang

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

No complaints here.

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

The vehicle mechanics aren't great, in particular the motorbike mechanics which are outstandingly bad, but anyway...it can't go back to IV mechanics because the countryside would be unusable in V with IV mechanics, and that's just a fact. 

I mean, on the face of it, being able to rock your car the right way up seems and is unrealistic, but in reality when you're in the middle of the desert after driving round messing around for ages, it would be INCREDIBLY annoying to find this car you've just spent $50k modifying is on its roof and there's nothing you can do about it.

Again with the damage. In an ideal world I'd have liked to see the opposite of the current situation. At the moment cosmetic damage is not that easy to get, but drive into a kerb and your wheel will buckle straight away, that's no good when you're trying to have fun bombing around.

All in all it's not perfect but it will do, if I don't want a bump to knock off my wheel I have to upgrade the armour and that's just the way it is. And for the record Rockstar will NEVER 'patch' the driving or damage physics. It isn't that simple. Maybe in any full DLC it will change very slightly, the damage model, but there will be no overhall.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Driving mechanics are fine and won't be patched because it's a matter of opinion if they are good or not.
The damage however needs to be fixed. Kicking the car does more damage than a collision with another car or a wall.

ekhunter
  • ekhunter

Love Fist

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

the driving is AMAZING, and f*ck you and your wall o' text, f*cker

• Roscoe182 likes this

XBlade1X
  • XBlade1X

Someone who loves games.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

Don't fix what aint broke. I admit, I was a tiny bit worried about the new handling before I played, but after playing the game extensively, I couldn't be happier.

It really does feel great to drive almost every vehicle in this game, and they all feel so different. Just pick one you like and stick to it. It's as in depth as IV but just a little more accessible and forgiving.

Car customization on the other hand is awesome, but at the same time very under-realised. I hope they add more with updates and DLC.

Roscoe182
  • Roscoe182

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

i hated thedriving in GTA 4 to realistic for me so i really struggled (im used to driving in games like burnout and most wanted ect).

so close to the release of 5 i knew if the driving was the same id either not get it or struggle with any mission thati had to drive in... thankfully (atleast for me) the driving is a mix between san andreas an IV.

i know a few folk that hate the driving in this. but suggesting its broken or needs patching seem completly stupid to me.

clealry the OP is clueless to how patches work and what they can do. i find it amusing he says overhaul, did they not just spend the best part of 6 years making this game but yer they will overhaul it because a small amount of ppl think its now to easy.. come on get a grip. is the driving so bad you cant drive a car or bike ?? is it so hard to drive you just bounce of everything no matter how hard you try not to ?? .

• ekhunter likes this

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

The driving in 5 is actually really great and it's a lot of fun. It feels good when off-roading and when you're driving at high speeds. My only problem is with the motorbikes (ATV's/sport bikes/etc). They just need to fix up the suspension a little bit on those. 

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

On my first save of 54 hours it really grew on me. I just started a new save and feels as good as where I left off. However after all of these hours one thing and one thing only that still bugs me about the driving is the way vehicles get air.

It's like gravity is non-existent and they float. Almost feeling like a skateboard or in space. I like the way cars take corners, but that aspect is something I just can't get used to. The damage is awesome IMO.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:21 AM Edited by riksterinto, 30 September 2013 - 04:23 AM.

The driving in the game is good the way it is.  If you have 100% armor on your car, it will take quite a few crashes to damage the car severely but otherwise it doesn't take very long to total a car in this game.  I find the damage to be better in V vs IV TBH.  In IV the damage seemed scripted almost.  First you loose your headlights, then the hood pops off and the windows smash, and so on.  In V the damage seems more dynamic.

Every car in IV felt like it was driving on ice plus suspension and braking physics seemed over exaggerated.  You don't need to slam on the breaks anymore when  only driving 40mph and taking corners a little fast won't cause the suspension on your vehicle to go crazy.

The only somewhat valid complaints that I have seen so far are that with some cars, the breaking is too good and they will stop on a dime no matter what.  The cars in V feel faster though so this is almost needed.  The other valid complaint is that the steering is extremely sensitive and there is no option, that I am aware of, to adjust it (I've gotten used to the sensitivity now though).

BTW they don't even have 2000 signatures on that petition to change the driving mechanics.  I think those people just tend to be very vocal about everything on forums thus giving the perception that there are lots of people who have a problem with the game.

Ev0d3vil
  • Ev0d3vil

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

I'm just annoyed that a kick can damage a wheel rim. Seriously? Or even dent it that its undriveable, other than that, nothing wrong.

boron5
  • boron5

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

All in all it's not perfect but it will do, if I don't want a bump to knock off my wheel I have to upgrade the armour and that's just the way it is.

So it's confirmed that armor diminishes car damage taken from hard landings and crashes, and is not just for bulletproofing? Cause that's good news. I love off roading and I'm sick of having to worry about damaging the wheels and being stranded in the middle of nowhere. This is one of the worst 'features' they built into the physics, IMHO.

WalterS_LV
  • WalterS_LV

One ticket to LS please

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

You don`t fix what`s not broken.

user14
  • user14

Prankster

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Stil not fixed

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

The vehicle mechanics aren't great, in particular the motorbike mechanics which are outstandingly bad, but anyway...it can't go back to IV mechanics because the countryside would be unusable in V with IV mechanics, and that's just a fact. 

I mean, on the face of it, being able to rock your car the right way up seems and is unrealistic, but in reality when you're in the middle of the desert after driving round messing around for ages, it would be INCREDIBLY annoying to find this car you've just spent $50k modifying is on its roof and there's nothing you can do about it.

Again with the damage. In an ideal world I'd have liked to see the opposite of the current situation. At the moment cosmetic damage is not that easy to get, but drive into a kerb and your wheel will buckle straight away, that's no good when you're trying to have fun bombing around.

All in all it's not perfect but it will do, if I don't want a bump to knock off my wheel I have to upgrade the armour and that's just the way it is. And for the record Rockstar will NEVER 'patch' the driving or damage physics. It isn't that simple. Maybe in any full DLC it will change very slightly, the damage model, but there will be no overhall.

The cars are tolerable but the motorcycles are horrendous lol. But I'm not complaining and the game's still bloody fun to be fair.

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

All in all it's not perfect but it will do, if I don't want a bump to knock off my wheel I have to upgrade the armour and that's just the way it is.

So it's confirmed that armor diminishes car damage taken from hard landings and crashes, and is not just for bulletproofing? Cause that's good news. I love off roading and I'm sick of having to worry about damaging the wheels and being stranded in the middle of nowhere. This is one of the worst 'features' they built into the physics, IMHO.

It does depend on your vehicle, if you go offroading in a Comet then your wheels will buckle eventually. If you fully armour Trev's vehicle then it wont unless you put it under a train or something.

That's in my experience anyway and I spend most of my time ragging it up and down the mountains.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Driving has been dumbed down so the kids playing feel like they are good at it. Sucks for anyone that actually has talent

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users