Quantcast

» «
Photo

Best car to rice out

19 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Buy an old drop top and find a place to pimp.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

So my friend just recently got a pretty sweet 03 Eclipse GT to rice. Its his second rice project after his first (99 Mercury  Cougar) failed miserably. He just got it and hasn't put very much into it yet but its already a pretty sweet and fun car. All it has on it right now is a straight pipe and high flow exhaust. We had it way out in the country today on the back roads and got it to about 120 no problem for a $4000 car its pretty fast. It will be amazing to watch this project play out and see what he can do with it.

With that said his recent acquisition has inspired me to undertake my own rice project. I have been researching cars for a couple days and I have kind of decided on an older generation of Eclipse preferably a GST. My budget is only about $5k so it isn't like I have massive resources and these seem like they can have massive potential and upside.

So what do you guys know about these cars? And are there other ones you would recommend that would make a better rice burner? I'm kind of new to the whole scene so I am just trying to get my start. And you guys seem like you could help me out a little

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Another pejorative goes full circle.

Meno
  • Meno

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

i would suggest you pick an american car like a mustang or a camaro and rice and missile it to scrap.

just to piss rednecks off

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Rice... er? Care to explain? You mean modify a Japanese vehicle, right?

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:07 PM Edited by LazyboyEight, 16 September 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Rice... er? Care to explain? You mean modify a Japanese vehicle, right?

not always Japanese, you can "rice" slow American cars for example a Focus or a Neon. 

here's a nice little extract from Urban Dictionary.

" person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to): 

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder 
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747 
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool 
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself 
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire 
- Clear tail lights and corner signals 
- A  "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)"

Found this too

"Billy and Bobby both have 6000 to spend on their car. Billy invests it in suspension and engine work, and Bobby buys a "sick" body kit, and some "tight" rims. So, Billy has a fast car that will surprise anyone wanting to race it, and bobby is hitching a ride back home, because his "sick" body kit blocked all air to the engine. 
Can you spot the ricer?"

Moth
  • Moth

When life gives you lemons, nuke the planet.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I thought "ricing" went out of style. I haven't seen a ricer in a pretty long time. I still see street racers, but most of them seem to have went for the clean look, not the stupid bodykit and massive wing on a FF look.

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

It's not worth doing unless you're making a replica of one of the FnF cars. And if that's what you're doing, it has to be a good one. None of that "close enough" mindset.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Since when is being a ricer something to aspire too? No one is impressed by hideous FWD 4-cylinders.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Personally I think it's a waste of a car to "rice" it out, but to each his own. Please try not to make it incredibly gaudy. Probably put some nice rims on it, lower it, and have a smallish wing on it. Plus whatever decals you think appropriate. That's pretty much the limit for me. good luck

Moth
  • Moth

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Please try not to make it incredibly gaudy.

But that is exactly what ricing a car does. It's the entire point, same thing goes for Donks. Gaudiness is the entire point of these sub cultures.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Is it? I thought it was just to try to make the car look fast without actually changing anything that will actually make it faster. Lol

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Has this guy even been to the Vehicle Talk section since he posted?

Moth
  • Moth

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Is it? I thought it was just to try to make the car look fast without actually changing anything that will actually make it faster. Lol

And by making it look fast, it makes it look gaudy. Massive body kits and wings, and bright colours with vinyls on top. Sure occasionally someone might make a ricer look good, but 99 times out of a 100, they look like sh*t.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Get some Christmas lights then decorate your car with it and viola! Instant rice!

For extra rice, add red light bulb into the center front of your car.

ZombCreations
  • ZombCreations

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ricing is more of a derogatory term, making fun of the way (generally imports) are modified. It seems you're using it in a different way.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ricing is more of a derogatory term, making fun of the way (generally imports) are modified. It seems you're using it in a different way.

True. As all posts above.

If I was you, first of all, I would raise the budget to be able to buy a bit newer, nice used car, just to make you sure you avoid some big failures that are expensive to fix. After that, I'd only slightly modify it - such as nice rims, window tint, and maybe, if it fits the car color, spray the hood with matte black PlastiDip. It's a good preservation for lacquer and looks good esthetically (eg. white car color and a black hood is ideal combination in my opinion). And that's all you need for a good looking car. I use to say "rims are half of a car". Put sexy rims on any car, and it will look much better. 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

That Plastidip stuff is sh*te, though. I've never seen it used in an application where it hasn't started to peel in no short order. A wrap would probably be hardier.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes, if it's wrapped improperly. The surface you're wrapping needs to be cleaned in detail. I don't know, it's a good temporary protection if you ask me.

However, if you want a long lasting protection, you can always get your vehicle a foil - with any color or even transparent. It's lot more expensive, but it's permanent.

My brother has recently tinted windows on my father's B Class and also put a protection foil on headlights. The same thing can be done with hood or with whole car. Next year, we also plan to cover the hood with that transparent foil - it means a lot to keep lacquer, and it can be removed at any time easily. He didn't do it himself though, he went to guys over at Llumar. The rear windows are tinted 50% and front ones are 25%. It was all 390 BAM = 270 USD, and I regret nothing. Looks bloody awesome.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes, if it's wrapped improperly. The surface you're wrapping needs to be cleaned in detail. I don't know, it's a good temporary protection if you ask me.

However, if you want a long lasting protection, you can always get your vehicle a foil - with any color or even transparent. It's lot more expensive, but it's permanent.

My brother has recently tinted windows on my father's B Class and also put a protection foil on headlights. The same thing can be done with hood or with whole car. Next year, we also plan to cover the hood with that transparent foil - it means a lot to keep lacquer, and it can be removed at any time easily. He didn't do it himself though, he went to guys over at Llumar. The rear windows are tinted 50% and front ones are 25%. It was all 390 BAM = 270 USD, and I regret nothing. Looks bloody awesome.

It might be a UK thing but PlastiDip over here is really, really expensive for what it is. I can get metals powder coated for less, and in some cases even anodized. To be honest, I'm well aware that wraps can peel or tarnish too, as can foils, but dipping seems to be suited primarily to small parts that don't really do much. Like wing mirror covers or badges. So, in other words, the same kind of applications where paint would be cheaper. And hardier. And give a better range of finishes. And a better finish.

I've used some of the protective clear wraps before. The issue with them is that, whilst hardy, they don't tend to work well in isolated areas like bumpers to prevent stone chips unless you end up wrapping the whole front end, because they tend to be UV-resistant which means after a few months the paint on the bodywork ends up a different colour than the paint under the wrap.

Dark rear tints should only be seen on huge LWB saloon cars IMO. 

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Everything you said is right. About tints, to each his own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users