Photo

'Respect' Revised

3 replies to this topic
Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I think the Respect idea still has an opportunity to be in the forums. The way we approached it was rather... inconclusive. What I mean is that Respects just adding up on the side of your profile in plain view doesn't work too well.

Respect and Like

Call me crazy, but I don't see any differences from the Respect and Like. It's just worded differently and pulled away from GTA's theme. I'm not sure if the site planned on removing it part by part, or just simply thinking people didn't like the name. The point is, it's still pretty broken. I think it's better that you have to move your cursor over the person to see how many 'respects' they have, but without this basic idea, it wouldn't be working well long. Just to be clear, I never disliked the Respect idea, I just didn't like the way it was being used.

Suggestion

The idea I'm proposing is that you are able to see the respects the post had.

An example here:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/29vx7uq.jpg

I think this is done well on several forums, including one which I frequent a lot, called DayZ Forums. It just so happens that it appears to be using the same basic layout/board possibly, and if it can implemented on theirs, why not ours? The one on DayZ Forums focuses it around Beans, or a food item in DayZ. Food is a precious commidity in the game, and it shows that you have respect for the user's post and are willing to hypothetically give away a precious commodity to show that the post is helpful/you agree with the post/respect it. I don't believe you are limited (apart from how many beans you can give a day), and you can't 'bean' your own posts, and in my opinon, it works well. It allows the site of a post to be viewed, and it might even reduce clutter of 'in b4lock' things, where instead of having to post 'This' while quoting it, the user will just 'Respect' it (granted, we don't want people respecting spam, if they agree with it, that option is there instead of having to post more nonsense)

In the corner, it would state for instance, "Kid, Boy and 6 others Respected this."  Of course, you would have the option to pull it away if you 'accidentally' respected it, or you no longer want to respect it. I think the system works, and we should give it a try.

How about it?

zzmorg82
  • zzmorg82

In the moment.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Hmm, I actually like this idea. But as most people would say, this would still cost favoritism and what-not. 

I support it and I would give it a shot. This would allow users to actually "like" contributive and helpful post.

• Jewstinian likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

it's a better idea than the original system.

but it's still mostly arbitrary and relatively useless.

my vote would still be for the complete elimination of any Respect or Like system.

simply unnecessary.

• Jewstinian likes this

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

it's a better idea than the original system.

but it's still mostly arbitrary and relatively useless.

my vote would still be for the complete elimination of any Respect or Like system.

simply unnecessary.

I can see that the idea can be very useless, but it could represent the members' opinions on a post. Obviously, a post with 300 respects must have some form of importance. One solution could be  to hand out warnings to people who continuously beg for likes (or respects if you will). Any self-respecting person would never give a like to someone who does that anyways.

I believe the idea should have a try at the very least. Through this trial and error, it will naturally be voiced whether or not the idea is acceptable and would work.

Should I add a poll?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users