Let's not Forget the Golden Era of GTA

57 replies to this topic
I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

V is my favorite, though IV and Vice City follow closely behind.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Sounds like you're balls deep in nostalgia.

this!!!

I mean sure the 3D Era games were very awesome back then but they are no comparison ( in terms of detail, characters..) to the HD era games

People like you just can't let go

• TaviColen123 and Gta_V_Fan_101 like this

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

I think the game is still in its golden era! C'mon, it has sold one billion of dollars in a few days!!

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:42 AM Edited by cp1dell, 04 January 2014 - 03:45 AM.

"Let's not Forget the Golden Era of GTA"

Great, another f*cking circle-jerk thread.

Trust me buddy, nobody on this forum is going to forget about "The Golden Era." It's all that this place consists of anymore. People constantly complaining about IV and V, and pissing themselves saying no GTA game will ever be as good as San Andreas.

There's no way you could possibly think that the majority of people here forgot about that. This is exactly what a forum circle-jerk is. Rallying people up so you can all talk about how much X sucks, and all agree that Y is better. And that's exactly what you're doing here. You'd have to be an idiot to think for one second that people started forgetting about the 3D Era games, because that's all anyone here talks about anymore while they sh*t on the newer games.

Nice work OP, really thought provoking.

• Ermacs and TaviColen123 like this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

I think the game is still in its golden era! C'mon, it has sold one billion of dollars in a few days!!

There was a different aura of magic in those days. One where graphics, textures didn't matter. Online gaming on consoles didn't matter. None of that mattered. It was just you and the game. That has been lost no matter how hard you try to distance yourself from online gaming.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

"Let's not Forget the Golden Era of GTA"

Great, another f*cking circle-jerk thread.

Trust me buddy, nobody on this forum is going to forget about "The Golden Era." It's all that this place consists of anymore. People constantly complaining about IV and V, and pissing themselves saying no GTA game will ever be as good as San Andreas.

There's no way you could possibly think that the majority of people here forgot about that. This is exactly what a forum circle-jerk is. Rallying people up so you can all talk about how much X sucks, and all agree that Y is better. And that's exactly what you're doing here. You'd have to be an idiot to think for one second that people started forgetting about the 3D Era games, because that's all anyone here talks about anymore while they sh*t on the newer games.

Nice work OP, really thought provoking.

I've been the first to defend GTA V from the haters and have even defended it against TLOU. I have maintained that GTA V rightfully deserves GOTY and the "Masterpiece" slogan and all the 10/10s and 100%'s. I realize its artistic and creative value as well as its satirical commentary. I am of the opinion that GTA V is perhaps amongst the grandest and thought-provoking video games yet to be developed. I've been at odds with many forumers here over the perfect scores issue. I've dismissed the calims that the driving physics reove immersion from the game. I've maintianed that interiors don't matter. I firmly believe that whatever R* has given us, we should be thankful for. But also I know that R* could have done much more. Once you're at the top, you've to stay at the top. R* seems to be slipping, and if correct recitifications aren't taken the ramifications, I fear, could spell disaster. Yet, I maintain that GTA V fully deserve all its laud. No one game can come close to its grandeur. I pre-ordered the Special Edition, I beat the game, have gotten a 100%, and am ready to do it all over again. 

But still, Vice City will hold a special place. Yes, it was my first. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

I started with the HD Era GTAs(IV,Episodes and V)
but i agree with the OP in someway,The 2d and 3d Eras are Legendary but the series have been on it Golden Era Since III.The HD Era(xb360 and Ps3,maybe xb1 and Ps4) brought alot of new things to the series and genre.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:43 AM Edited by TaviColen123, 04 January 2014 - 05:47 AM.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

but i agree with the OP in someway,The 2d and 3d Eras are Legendary but the series have been on it Golden Era Since III.The HD Era(xb360 and Ps3,maybe xb1 and Ps4) brought alot of new things to the series and genre.

Uhh, honestly the 2d era kinda sucked, not because of the older graphics but because of the clunky controls and confusing aerial view . I didn't start enjoying the series until GTA 3 even though I played the other games before it . Also they barely had any story in them so that's why people don't remember them as fondly as the 3D era ones because they don't have any memorable characters . Now I give them a pass because they were the first in the series but that doesn't mean I enjoy playing them .

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:56 AM Edited by SmoothGetaway, 04 January 2014 - 08:00 AM.

My first real introduction to GTA was with III(I had played 1 and 2 but I didn't really 'get it' back then) at a buddy's house. I was given the controller after watching a few rounds...I ended up in a standoff outside the courthouse :cool:

Then I bought the game and found out there was a story, and that mindless destruction was only part of the recipe.

The Lance Vance dance was next, and having motorcycles really felt like a HUGE deal. I'd love to read some of the whiners thoughts on that in a 'VC just got released' context.

SA was great too, but IV was when a cover system made it in, and peoples heads stopped exploding into a fountain of blood.

The cover system is what's made it so hard for me to go back and play III era games again. I prefer to keep my fond memories instead of replaying these games with a current mindset and potentially ruining them for myself.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

OP

YOU will never experience those things and feelings again, neither will I, since we've both been there for the originals. But the new generations will fell the same about IV or V as ours does about III or VC, or SA.

So don't confuse your own feelings with the game loosing any overall charm. It's us who have grown up, and not many things seem new and fresh as they used to when we first saw them.

• SmoothGetaway and Ermacs like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

A GTA V fanboy's worst nightmare

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:Blood-Is-in-Diamond, on 04 Jan 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Uhh, honestly the 2d era kinda sucked, not because of the older graphics but because of the clunky controls and confusing aerial view . I didn't start enjoying the series until GTA 3 even though I played the other games before it . Also they barely had any story in them so that's why people don't remember them as fondly as the 3D era ones because they don't have any memorable characters . Now I give them a pass because they were the first in the series but that doesn't mean I enjoy playing them .
The top down GTAs were fairly crude, but they were a ton of fun all the same.

rickyboy123
  • rickyboy123

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

alot of this is nostalgia, but games back then did seem to have something else, you know, not just carbon copy recycled high definition titles such as cod, battlefield, fifa etc that we have to day, heck even fifa back then had that fun factor to it, its like money completely took over the gaming industry and developers cant be bothered to put a little heart and soul into games and would rather just rehash over their previous release and add a few new maps and a b-list worthy hollywood script, if you want to see what im talking about just whip and either mgs1 or 3 and there wont be anything to compare it to of todays standards, then again maybe im just getting a little carried away :(

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

2D Era-The Start of a Legendary and Phenomenal Franchise
3D Era-The Breakthrough of a Franchise and a Revolution to the Genre
HD Era-The Big Evolution to the Franchise and a Most Successful timeline(GTA 5 1bn in 3days)

The 2D and 3D Era GTAs are Legendary,just like i said before,but since GTA 3 the Series has been a Golden Era Franchise.I am excited for the 4th Generation of this Legendary Series regardless of them continuing or discontinuing the HD Era.a GTA game on next-gen would be a Badboy either it a Main-game or a Spin-off.The Only thing i would love to see Future GTAs adapt to,is a Human Shield System,remember GTA 4 started the 3rd Generation of the series and the HD Era games,and it introduced a Cover system which have been used since then,GTA 5 introduced Health Re-generation to the series i am sure GTA 6 would do introduce new things to the series and even then Genre

Pfister Comet
  • Pfister Comet

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:25 PM Edited by Shug, 04 January 2014 - 04:27 PM.

GTA V is a great game, but it can never beat the fun factor 3D era had.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

You can't stop the change from happening as time passes you leave behind the past. Don't hold on to your nostalgia and get emotionally lost.
Play them if you must otherwise move on. Nobody cares (about past), honestly!!...
  • Tashan and SmoothGetaway like this

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Ever since I first played GTA 3 it has been my favourite one but its crown might be slipping.

Neo Arcadia
  • Neo Arcadia

Peon

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

I'm getting a boner just thinking about the golden age.

III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS all came out within the time it took V to just be developed... It was f*cking magical. I pity the kids who weren't around to experience it and know only the delays and incompetence of modern R*.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

The Lance Vance dance was next, and having motorcycles really felt like a HUGE deal. I'd love to read some of the whiners thoughts on that in a 'VC just got released' context.

I remember some people said that they preferred the grittiness of Liberty City to the sun and beaches of Vice. Another complaint back then was how flat the terrain was, compared to III which was a bit more variable.

...Honestly, those are the only two common complaints I can remember people having way back when Vice City was released.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

^^

First, welcome to the forums thanks for joining up.

It's a bit like the military around here, people are at each others throats but we all love GTA so we have common ground.

I remember those complaints...a lot of the issues people have with the games (imo) is change. People think they want more of the same but they don't.

Because they'd just bitch about things not changing instead.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thank you.

Yeah, a lot of people don't handle change well, and that especially applies to something as interactive as video games. But with the Grand Theft Auto series, it's easy to see why people quarrel. Rockstar has never been afraid to drop features that were in a previous entry, so it's inevitable that some people would miss those features. But I can't blame Rockstar for trimming the content, because if they tried to keep in everything, the games would probably become too bloated and unwieldy.

Also remember that each game has a different tone and focus. III and IV were about a random hitman living day to day taking any job that came their way, Vice City was about building a criminal empire and San Andreas was mostly about trying to protect your family and allies. Naturally people are going to have a preference for a certain kind of plot.

t-p-d-a
  • t-p-d-a

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

For me, the golden era was 2004 with GTA San Andreas. All my friends had GTA San Andreas on PS2.... later on PC

I'm GTA Player since 1999 with GTA 2.... GTA San Andreas was a bumm!!! I think the feeling of GTA San Andreas on PS2 is better than PC... i don't knw why

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

As cliché as it is, your problem OP is nostalgia. I could go on and on about how great Mario Kart on the SNES, or Mortal Kombat on my Mega Drive, or Goldeneye on the N64 was, but I can move on and love what the ever-improving tech can provide me.  

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Is it really necessary to have this in the V section? Shouldn't this be in the GTA Series chat?

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:19 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 04 January 2014 - 07:20 PM.

Is it really necessary to have this in the V section? Shouldn't this be in the GTA Series chat?

It should be, but far less people would post in it, as the V section is more frequently visited than the GTA series chat.

Anonamix
  • Anonamix

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

^^^ When George Carlin was still alive, those too were the good old days. He really bursted A lot of people's bubbles.

Indeed. I was fortunate enough to see him perform live. It was incredible.  I live where the phelps psychos live/protest. They are known to protest the theater where he was performing that night, as well as tons of businesses/churches in my town for decades now. They were there that night and when George came out, the first thing he said is "What's up with that fag Fred Phelps."  The response from fellow phelps hating locals was epic. 

On topic. Everything was better in the era of san an's release. Music, Tv, Movies, and for me, the ease of life itself.  Looking back to my wonder years meets fear and loathing early years.. Playing san andreas was a wonderful escape I will never forget.. Thinking of getting it for the droid.. Controls okay? better than vice city droid?

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

^^ I'm playing SA and VC on my iPad. VC is running smoothly, SA used to run smoothly, now its just crashing 10 seconds into gameplay. Controls are pretty good if you don't mind the sensitivity of touch-based controls. I'd say, check out the specs of the Droid before downloading it. 

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

If the PS2 era was the Golden era, does that make what we have now the Platinum era?

The GTA games of the PS2 era had less competition, though. They were head over heels, in my view. So what you're saying certainly makes sense. It's different now. GTA is still the king of sandbox freedom to me, but the gap has certainly narrowed. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

If the PS2 era was the Golden era, does that make what we have now the Platinum era?

The GTA games of the PS2 era had less competition, though. They were head over heels, in my view. So what you're saying certainly makes sense. It's different now. GTA is still the king of sandbox freedom to me, but the gap has certainly narrowed. 

GTA is still and will always be the King of that Genre.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users