Photo

Let's not Forget the Golden Era of GTA

57 replies to this topic
Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

No the GTA PS2 days were the glory days. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I doubt we will ever get the experience we've gotten in GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas ever again in any future GTA game. WHy? Because think about it. Think about the games of those generation. Once in a blue moon a good game would come out, e.g. Tony Hawk Pro Skater, NFS Underground, MGS, God of War, and CoD Finest Hour, Big Red One. Besides those allthe othe games sucked and were repetitive. But then you got GTA. Everything was so different, so unique, so awesome. You really had to be engrossed into the gaming culture back then to be truly appreciative of what gaming without online meant back in those days. Evrything about the GTA games felt oh so right. And one of the coolest things we could do in GTA that we couldn't do in many of the PS2 games (I remember using button cheats in CoD Finest Hour) were the button cheats. You would memorize those cheats and type them in as fast as you could. As soon as you got at least 3 stars you would immediately spawn a tank ithout even thinking about what buttons you were pressing. You didn't need to even look down at the controller. Ah. nostalgic reminisience of a past long gone. The yesteryears only truly live in your memories, not on Youtube. But yea, just felt like I needed to say this. GTA IV was great, revolutionary even. But it didn't possess that thing..the 3D era charm. Button cheats are just...a different level of dimension in the paleo-GTA culture. Glad Rockstar is resurrecting button cheats again. Cheers.

On this thread, share your fondest experiences of GTA. No negativity in here. Just all the good things you can think of. I'm really looking forward to hearing your crazy police chases, funny glitches, favorite missions, etc. 

• Mister Pink, yonatan755, RyderNotThisAgain and 1 other like this

ActionBronson
  • ActionBronson

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like you're balls deep in nostalgia.

• Joey OMG, Ermac, Andreas and 5 others like this

Nikobomber
  • Nikobomber

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I remember waiting for GTA V. Right up till September 17th. Years of waiting. I still play it every now and then.
  • Udrift and KingKock like this

bangcrosby
  • bangcrosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:43 PM Edited by bangcrosby, 15 September 2013 - 09:43 PM.

you can disagree with what he said or whatever but op didn't write a particularly long post. so many ADD f*cktards on here

• GTAOnlineVideos likes this

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I haven't played a video game since San Andreas. I played 3 missions on IV, but there was no offroad. I haven't even seen anyone else play any video games. It's gonna be like a time warp for me, 2003 to 2013.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

the golden era of GTA is just starting. The PS2 games were a good dry run. The next steps are an expanded GTA Online, possible expansions for V and ultimately VI on next gen. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

When I see videos of GTA V it honestly gives me that PS2 feel.

• Egg Maestro likes this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Sounds like you're balls deep in nostalgia.

Catharsis is the only way to get rid of all this negativity on these forums. We have to nostalgically reminiesce brother.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

the golden era of GTA is just starting. The PS2 games were a good dry run. The next steps are an expanded GTA Online, possible expansions for V and ultimately VI on next gen. 

People all claimed that GTA V will be the halcyon of gaming. Lest they forget Vice City and San Andreas, GTA V would not be here.

topdownshooter
  • topdownshooter

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm playing through vice city right now and what is great about that game isn't the gameplay mechanics, controls, etc. It's the missions themselves, the mission structure and the feeling of progression. You were becoming a bigger and bigger gangster with every mission, with more money, more properties and more businesses. The core gameplay mechanics were very flawed.

Maglev
  • Maglev

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:51 PM Edited by Maglev, 15 September 2013 - 09:51 PM.

It's just because of the time you 'grew up' with them.

GTA IV was the first gta for loads of people, V will be their SA.

When GTA 7 or 8 or something comes out they will talk about the HD era just like you talk about the 3D era right now.

You are biased.

• Dope_0110 likes this

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I feel like Rockstar devoted too much time, energy, and money into their online iteration...

It's just so obvious. I really don't want Rockstar to be "just another company" who bends and folds to the pressure of the stupid, temporary, social media/internet/online boom phase...

• Official General likes this

yonatan755
  • yonatan755

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Some of my best childhood memoris are from GTA
I had a neighbor, he was my age and because we were at the same class in kindergarten and neighbors we became best friends.
A few years after we grow up, he used to talk alot about GTA SAN ANDREAS.
it's not that I didn't knew of gta. I ussed to play alot of gta 1 and vice city at my uncle's pc, but my friend told me that he sawed that and he most get this game.
I bad ni computef, but he had one and got the game.
for hears we used to sit at his house playing Gta all day long.
We finished the game only after about one year lol.
Moestlly because we were just causing mayhem with cheats. I have some of the most nostalgic memories with him on his house with this game.
it was about 8 years ago.
He moved away now, but we still keep in contact and meet each other.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's nostalgia talking bud.

To me the reason why I keep playing GTA games, or games  in general is because all of the old ones were always missing something.

I ignore nostalgia because it really f*cks with your mind when thinking about things. Someone asks you what you favorite food is, and nostalgia might tell you "sugar cookies!", because mom used to make them special, and you'd come home from school and watch cartoons and sh*t, and then dad would pour you some milk and you'd sit on his lap and fall asleep and that was before he started drinking or whatever, and so on, without realizing that you always hated the aftertaste of sugar cookies and thought they smelled werid and sh*t while eating them back then.

Nostalgia makes you forget about the flaws when looking back.

f*ck San Andreas and Vice City. GTA IV was the better game. Just like GTA V will be the better game, just like GTA VI will be the better game.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the next in the series always brings it back better than before.

When it comes to my FAVORITE game though? That's Vice City because it's the one I played first so I have all those nostalgia memories about it.

• Dope_0110 and Proletariat like this

rave2012
  • rave2012

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Reson why those games were gold because we never seen anything like it b4 duh but that doesn't mean they can't do anything new in V

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

That's nostalgia talking bud.

To me the reason why I keep playing GTA games, or games  in general is because all of the old ones were always missing something.

I ignore nostalgia because it really f*cks with your mind when thinking about things. Someone asks you what you favorite food is, and nostalgia might tell you "sugar cookies!", because mom used to make them special, and you'd come home from school and watch cartoons and sh*t, and then dad would pour you some milk and you'd sit on his lap and fall asleep and that was before he started drinking or whatever, and so on, without realizing that you always hated the aftertaste of sugar cookies and thought they smelled werid and sh*t while eating them back then.

Nostalgia makes you forget about the flaws when looking back.

f*ck San Andreas and Vice City. GTA IV was the better game. Just like GTA V will be the better game, just like GTA VI will be the better game.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the next in the series always brings it back better than before.

When it comes to my FAVORITE game though? That's Vice City because it's the one I played first so I have all those nostalgia memories about it.

Same, Vice City is my first and fav.

St.Marks
  • St.Marks

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:17 PM Edited by St.Marks, 15 September 2013 - 10:22 PM.

i think GTA is still in a golden age, and it has been ever since III came out 12 years ago.

my nostalgic moments from the past are taking my first steps to the waiting car as i ran across the ruins of the Calahan bridge.

Entering the Malibu Club for the first time.

my first customized lowrider

My First look at the redesigned Liberty City

Robbing the Bank with Packie and Derek.

Seeing the Diamond deal from all three perspectives.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Anyone else?

Anonamix
  • Anonamix

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yeah man, The gold old days..

Idk what it was.. maybe just being younger and pre-adulthood meant less responsibilities. Not everyone was a gamer back then, it was my special personal escape. 

• RyderNotThisAgain likes this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

^^^ When George Carlin was still alive, those too were the good old days. He really bursted A lot of people's bubbles.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I doubt we will ever get the experience we've gotten in GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas ever again in any future GTA game. 

You can have your opinion, but it doesn't line up with mine.

While Vice City was a great game with great memories, I had more fun in IV than I ever had in VC or III. 

I suspect V will be many peoples favorite game in the franchise, if not, definitely in the top 3.

I've noticed many of the people who are actually PLAYING it (on streams, not just people claiming they have it) seem to love it and haven't had any real complaints.

Give it one month and we'll see what the real tone is.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:17 AM Edited by Proletariat, 04 January 2014 - 12:17 AM.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I doubt we will ever get the experience we've gotten in GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas ever again in any future GTA game. 

You can have your opinion, but it doesn't line up with mine.

While Vice City was a great game with great memories, I had more fun in IV than I ever had in VC or III. 

I suspect V will be many peoples favorite game in the franchise, if not, definitely in the top 3.

I've noticed many of the people who are actually PLAYING it (on streams, not just people claiming they have it) seem to love it and haven't had any real complaints.

Give it one month and we'll see what the real tone is.

Well, it's been well over 3 months now. Bump. What are your guys's opinions about GTA V now? Is the Golden Era truly gone?

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

I Think San Andreas should be known as the brown Era of Gta because its sh*t!!! Joke but its Horribly Overrated IV And V Are both Easily better.

Ermac
  • Ermac

Presented in SpittaVision®

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I Think San Andreas should be known as the brown Era of Gta because its sh*t!!! Joke but its Horribly Overrated IV And V Are both Easily better.

Here we go...

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

V is my favorite GTA, with 4 behind it and SA coming in 3rd.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

All the eras are golden.

BeLikeMike
  • BeLikeMike

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

I've only played the first one and 5. I like the missions of GTA but 5's story was very enjoyable. Just bought 4 and San Andreas dirt cheap but haven't dive into them yet.

icemagi
  • icemagi

Professional Badass

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

I first played San An 3 years ago which was the first time I'd ever played a GTA game. I did some missions and I free roamed a bit but I've been spoiled with today's graphics.. I couldn't. But I remember my favourite thing to do was drive to a highway and block traffic. Then, once there was a bunch of cars being blocked, I'd blow up the car I drove there and watch the domino effect of explosions. I had a good chuckle over that one, and it never got old.

A few days after that I decided to give GTA IV a try and I played for about 2 hours but I never played it after that.

Once I saw GTA V's trailer I was blown away, which is pretty impressive if you acknowledge the fact that I didn't think much of GTA at the time. I decided I'd try out V and if I didn't like it, then it was the deal breaker that I wouldn't bother with GTA ever again. I remember each month I got more and more hyped. Once I got it, I instantly fell in love with it. I loved the characters (despite what you all think of them) and I loved the new Los Santos. One of the things about IV I didn't like was the dark murky atmosphere of Liberty City so I was glad to enter the sun soaked city of Los Santos. I loved the Heists, the dialogue, everything. Thanks to V, I'm going to start playing all the other GTA games that are to come. So to answer your question OP, my nostalgia and the golden age of GTA is now (and a bit of SA on the nostalgia).

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

No matter which GTA you like I think each respective era is "golden" in its own way.

I'm one of the lucky ones to have started when the series was young and have played every GTA as it's been released.

I have my biases, but at the end of the day each GTA has made its mark in some way or another. Good or bad.
  • SmoothGetaway likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

People all claimed that GTA V will be the halcyon of gaming. Lest they forget Vice City and San Andreas, GTA V would not be here.

Claude does not understando.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users