Photo

The issue with driving/damage is not the handling. It's that GTA:V

357 replies to this topic
Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

To me this game feels like its been made for kids. I'm tired of writing 'saints row style handling and physics' but that is IMO what has mucked up the game.

All the vehicles feel like they're glued to the road. None of them have any form of characteristics like body roll, suspension, grip etc... 

Its a shame I mean just look at the rest of the game, its beautiful, and there is so much content (especially with GTAO round the corner - that stuff is immense!)... but do I want to create race tracks for a load of boxes to race round with no skill needed at all?  ... no, I'd rather chuck GTA 4 back on and 'feel' the cars, position them on the track (apex), 'feel' the traction and grip and adjust my throttle and brakes accordingly. As I change my momentum I want to see and 'feel' the suspension working and along with it I want to see and feel the body roll.

Frustration. I just don't get how R* who have made this beautiful beautiful game (just look at ONE of the vehicles and you can see the amount of work that has gone into this game) and then thrown it all away because every vehicle handles the same and is subjected to these laughable physics.

Its upsetting because I honestly think that everything else in this game is 95%-100%

But the driving handling + physics (and a plane that takes off at 10mph? I mean wtf?) have ruined this game for me and many others so I think this game now deserves (because it feels like a kids game like Saints Row and that is being generous)... 65%?

OT - If Rockstar put GTA 4 physics and handling (or any other DECENT grown-up driving game) into GTA V it'll get 100%. It'll be gaming nirvana.

As it stands... c'mon, this game looks like it's been made for a 5 year old to play it.

Pretty much spot on. Rockstar have clearly spent more time refining the online to give a sh*t. But hey

"Maybe a driving simulator is a better game for you hurr durr"

pookie1
  • pookie1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:00 PM Edited by pookie1, 15 September 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Once more for the new page. If you agree with what's been said in this topic, or just want to share your feedback with Rockstar Games, feel free to do so at mouthoff@rockstargames.com

Please note that I would prefer if you waited to actually play the game for yourself before sharing your opinion with the game creators. These observations are from 15 hours of gameplay.

• Ronrollin9434 likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

OP, could I ask your opinion on the Motorcycle handling Compared with tlad & tbogt?

If I may speak on preference rather than strictly fact, motorcycles are substantially changed from previous GTA games and I'm not a fan of it.

GTAV makes it substantially harder to fall off a motorcycle barring a direct impact with an object. Tighter turning radii, easier to climb hills, etc. You can basically go off-roading in a sportbike if you so choose.

It's in this regard specifically that I believe Rockstar chose to make driving much more forgiving. 

Have you played TLAD/TBOGT episodes or just IV? In TLAD it was harder to fall off motorcycles but their handling was not changed. That is what was so good about the DLC. It didn't ruin my experience and helped with the experience of others. Apart from that, it brought new bikes that were different from the old ones, there was even more diversity. It had better balance.

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Uhhh...

I do not know what game you guys are playing but I can kick the car with my foot and do damage to it.....

So this whole "cars cant be damaged" is just bullsh*t.

Kick a car in real life / GTA IV and see if it gets 'damaged' other than being able to break the glass.

Rolls down the window. Kicks door.

Dents door and breaks window at the same time.ULTRAAAAAAA COMMMMBOOOOOOO

RolfStarGames
  • RolfStarGames

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just one question. Do you think that car driving physics can be improved with a patch??

gmcb007
  • gmcb007

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

After playing the game myself, I actually enjoy the new damage system. Yes, I miss the play-doh damage model but I prefer to see the return of wing panels, bumpers and hoods getting ripped off in the process.

In fact the damage feels more unique to every crash. For example, I was getting chased by the cops on the highway road leading out of Paleto Bay when I spun out and my right back-end smashed off the guard rail at high speed. The result was that my rear right wheel buckled causing the car to effectivly drag it's ass down the road!

Another example was when I attempted to jump off a steep mini-cooper advertisment ramp (it's like a follow-up to VC's airport surf billboard ramp), my car landed on the right rear corner which cause the fuel tank to explode from the impact.

Also when I was preparing to line up for the jump, I reversed into the side of a parked Blista Compact (it's the Golf lookalike BTW), and I deformed the whole side of the car and the center impact point had the deepest dent area.

Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

After playing the game myself, I actually enjoy the new damage system. Yes, I miss the play-doh damage model but I prefer to see the return of wing panels, bumpers and hoods getting ripped off in the process.

In fact the damage feels more unique to every crash. For example, I was getting chased by the cops on the highway road leading out of Paleto Bay when I spun out and my right back-end smashed off the guard rail at high speed. The result was that my rear right wheel buckled causing the car to effectivly drag it's ass down the road!

Another example was when I attempted to jump off a steep mini-cooper advertisment ramp (it's like a follow-up to VC's airport surf billboard ramp), my car landed on the right rear corner which cause the fuel tank to explode from the impact.

Also when I was preparing to line up for the jump, I reversed into the side of a parked Blista Compact (it's the Golf lookalike BTW), and I deformed the whole side of the car and the center impact point had the deepest dent area.

yeaaaa  im gonna need some videos cuz from what I have played (a few good hours) / seen (alot of hours) the car really gets dented realistically with the main results being the paint job getting scratched / the hood falling off then ultimately fire erupting from the engine.

EGB727
  • EGB727

Stupid dumb idiot

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

It's a shame but I can't help but feel it's true. 

AlienWillHeMonsta
  • AlienWillHeMonsta

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Seems like some vehicles are inherent

Once more for the new page. If you agree with what's been said in this topic, or just want to share your feedback with Rockstar Games, feel free to do so at mouthoff@rockstargames.com

Please note that I would prefer if you waited to actually play the game for yourself before sharing your opinion with the game creators. These observations are from 15 hours of gameplay.

Did you consider some vehicles are more durable than others?

twigs2001
  • twigs2001

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Most people could really care less about the damage...its the way the cars handle and all feel the same is the problem, no suspension is major fail.

• Hypertenzion likes this

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

So in essence you're summing up everything people have been whinging about in a sophisticated manner. If misery loves company. If people did get what they want they would still whinge. To be honest previous GTA's didn't have GTA 4 style driving, it was only 1 game. Now it's changed everyone flips out as if it's been GTA 4 throughout the whole series.

People loved Vice City yet complain about GTA V. 

People complain that GTA V is unrealistic yet in GTA 4 you could fall from a high building an not die, also your car didn't get destroyed either at times yet they say GTA V needs to be 'fixed'

Change is good, not always but in this case GTA 4 was a failed attempt at realism. GTA as a series has NEVER been about Ultra Realistic, don't fix what ain't broke. GTA V is R* going back to it's roots. If you have played GTA 1 you know the difficulty of the police. 

Before you complain about the "This game doesn't know what it wants to be" It's GTA..... a mish mash melting pot. and need I remind you a GAME. People liked Saints Row yet does that have any consistency apart from being more absurd each game? but it made no Fn sense towards the end. Dildo Bats? I mean come on really?

The issue here is not so much the players having opinions ; rather, it's the fact they are hypocritical, petty, whingers.

One hand they are saying can't wait for GTA V, the next moment they're whinging and I question there creditably and even if they have been around the series since day one. 

The fact people people on average have played GTA V for 8 hours an consider that a basis of knowing all, makes me throw there opinions out the window.

It's a wait an see.

Malndor, you better be playing on PS3, because if you are, i will spawn kill you every single day on GTAO.

satanicaleviathan
  • satanicaleviathan

silencer

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

i'm glad a bunch of people reject the driving, just means i'll always be better than all of you.

lulz

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by josephene123, 15 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5mCP5iC3Qw [CHEAT SPOILERS] 

Watch from second 33 and watch the crash. No dents, not even any scratches, nothing. I don't understand, it's almost like they removed the deformation from IV, I know they haven't but wow. It creates such a "Wait.. What?" moment. If a car is launched into another car like that, and there is an impact like that, you expect to be satisfyingly damaged from the mistake you made in being so wreckless, but nothing? It's so inconsistent with the rest of the game. It looks so... generic now. In a game which has set the bar for being non-generic, it's so odd. 

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

We've been trolled by rockstar. BASTARDS

I think this cheat is the day 1 release patch... (if not I'll use it all the time)

http://www.youtube.c...pBM&app=desktop

100% I FOOKIN TOLD YA DIDNT I !!!!!!

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

i'm glad a bunch of people reject the driving, just means i'll always be better than all of you.

lulz

Actually, irony behind all of this is that many players who hate the driving in V were experts at driving in IV, and the people who love the driving in V were horrible in IV. This basically sets up the following scenario: Since the players who could actually learn how to use the physics in IV to their advantage and make it work while others couldn't, they will still have the upper hand in V since they had already been conditioned to drive well with realistic handling, and when they give those players the unrealistic handling V has, those skilled veterans will drive like gods on the road.

Ethereal_NYC
  • Ethereal_NYC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

after playing 12 hours straight I will tell you it would not be fun to take IVs driving and apply it to los santos. you wouldn't be able to do much.

they give you complete control, you can whip station wagons and stop on a dime. it makes all the vehicles fun and none feel useless. speed has increased as well so you can feel that applied as well.

cars definitely can take more damage but its from more minor things like fender benders, hittin lightpoles, clipping walls etc. overall it feels like the driving in GTA2.

that for me is a great thing and I loved IVs driving because you needed skills, this game focuses more on how you can complete the control.

you can manuever your vehicle mid air so easily now. makes for much better control and more epic moments of movement.

if you drove off a cliff in 5 with the controls of 4 it would be so wack. they gave it fluidity.

thas what you need when your jumping hills in a BF enjection

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5mCP5iC3Qw [CHEAT SPOILERS] 

Watch from second 33 and watch the crash. No dents, not even any scratches, nothing. I don't understand, it's almost like they removed the deformation from IV, I know they haven't but wow. It creates such a "Wait.. What?" moment. If a car is launched into another car like that, and there is an impact like that, you expect to be satisfyingly damaged from the mistake you made in being so wreckless, but nothing? It's so inconsistent with the rest of the game. It looks so... generic now. In a game which has set the bar for being non-generic, it's so odd. 

The lack of damage when the comet goes flying into that yellow hummer is just absolutely mind-boggling. It's just so inconceivable how Rockstar could allow this to happen?

Do you think they're bowing to pressure from people who want cars to last longer because of customization/car purchases?

Or do you think they had to cut corners on car damage and allocate those resources to other parts of the game?

notgonlie
  • notgonlie

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by notgonlie, 15 September 2013 - 08:39 PM.

If IV and V driving were side by side with same graphics IV would look like the more realistic, advanced engine. GTA 4 driving took time to master resulting in multiplayer races, team death, and cops n' crooks, being that much more fulfilling when outrunning people. 

The countless threads for small features that are missing are always going to exist. And when those small details like gambling, lack of interior, poor driving, add up it can really take character away from the game. 

Of course the amount of hype this game got can only result in disappointment. But the lack of something is different than changing something that was never broken. This video of the quad hitting a wall, then swerving for half a mile while staying top speed really is a let down.
 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IiZO159U5as 3:20 and on

black_mcgrath
  • black_mcgrath

Legendary Boss

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

@ Black Mcrgath who said (not quoting him because I hate quote trains)

"Did you really just compare that V video to a IV video of a car going 200+ mp/H? Wow. I want you to also take into consideration the amount of things in GTAV compared to IV. Have you ever thought they had to tone down the damage because of the amount of other things going on?"

1. For f*ck sake go youtube a walkthrough / review. The damage is always present in its entirety. Atleast im not in denial saying

"The leaked footage isnt a good representation of the actual game"

*sigh* Delusion. its bad.

Why did you put in quotations something I didn't say? Don't put words in my mouth, kid.

Either way it's a different game going back to its arcade routes. GTA was always "arcadey" but, when IV was presented they tried a darker, more realistic tone and in the beginning people were excited but, fans hated on it and it showed because people complained on how boring it was, the driving etc, even though sales and reviews were phenomenal.

Do you program/develop games?  Do you understand the hardware they work with and how much stress it can take? No? Neither, do I but comparing V to IV is a bit foolish in my opinion. I'll admit IV had better looking dents it was a smaller game, with V the sheer amount of detail, crisper graphics, the size etc, take all of this into consideration.It's old hardware and they're trying to push limits. Who knows, if they tried to get the same quality for damage in IV the dev kits probably crashed or the frame rates slowed to a crawl. Do you think R* just dumb down the damage for sh*t a giggles?

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Am I the only one who feels that the lack of realistic car collision physics is more of a problem than the handling of GTA V?

• josephene123 likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

true

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

I don't care so much about the handling, I enjoyed iv's damage physics. I bought GTA V today for ps3 :), I'm getting my copy on the 17th :D

abigor115
  • abigor115

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Handling and damage is bad in GTA5.......17 September the hell will break loose.......and R  know it ......that's why they was so afraid to show the gameplay.

Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by Burner, 15 September 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Not the first time the R* San Diego team screwed up driving physics. Edit - Before someone who doesn't know tries to comment that R* North made GTA, not San Diego, the San Diego team was responsible for the driving physics. I would think everyone would know that by now, but many still don't. - Edit

When they were still Angel Studios, they released Midtown Madness, which had good, for the time, physics that was somewhat realistic. But some people found the game too challenging, so to please these people, Midtown Madness 2 had the same treatment given to it that was done to V. MM2 had the cars handle like they were on rails, car durability was increased significantly, and the traffic was made lighter so they could be pushed out of the way easier. It was possible to push a city bus out of the way with a volkswagen Beetle. It was terrible. Newcomers to the franchise, and those just not good at driving games, didnt mind at all, but all the fans of the first game had their experience ruined in MM2. 

I hope it isn't that bad for V, but it sounds like it. I can almost certainly guarantee there will not be an update for it as well, because many newcomers to the franchise, or those just not good at driving games, will be put off and complain that they made the game too hard. And those people outnumber the people that want realistic driving by a huge margin. 

semie
  • semie

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

So the game has pros & cons, strengths and weaknesses. Maybe players could use the games strengths to achieve a more favorable experience.

I hear what your saying with regard to consistency but I am unable to comment further due to only having played the game for 0 hours.

I do admire that you are able to articulate your opinion in a respectful and objective manner. Post was worth the read.

bigwalker
  • bigwalker

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Am I the only one who feels that the lack of realistic car collision physics is more of a problem than the handling of GTA V?

No, no your not :) 

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

http://www.youtube.c...pBM&app=desktop PROPER HANDLING AND PHYSICS - this HAS GOT TO BE the day 1 release patch.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

... has an identity crisis.

I am going to preface this by asking readers to please read entirely and, if you choose to respond, please do so by putting your "big boy" pants on.

There are tons of topics out there complaining about driving physics, car damage, etc. This is not one of them. This is merely a means to convey the issue at hand from a proper perspective.

The issue here is not so much the physics in my mind; rather, it's the fact GTA is inconsistent in how it handles the world in general.

Your health is low (realistic).

NPC health is low and can be KO'd by a single punch or knife strike (realistic).

Running speed is slow (realistic).

Bicycling speed is slow (realistic).

The slightest mistake on foot means death.

And now, we transition to cars:

Car health is incredibly high and you are basically invincible while moving.

Car damage takes forever to develop.

Cars cannot be permanently flipped (you can easily flip them back).

Cars are basically glued to the ground.

No matter if you like/dislike the driving in this game, you have to admit there's a disparity here. The transition from realistic to arcade is instant. And that, to some people, is problematic.

Consistency is the answer. I don't believe anyone who has played Saints Row 4 would be complaining about unrealistic physics, because the game is entirely unrealistic. However, this is not the case in GTA:V.

One moment, you die from taking 3 or 4 bullets from police on foot. The next, you're being chased for half an hour because police can't stop your car no matter their best efforts.

One moment, you die from being clipped by a car going 20 mph. The next, you're doing 90 degree turns in an SUV going full speed.

I urge everyone to think about this situation from this perspective. If the game was entirely unrealistic, I don't believe as many people would be complaining. But the game is filled with attempts at being realistic -- heck, look at the activity choices: Tennis, golf, yoga ... etc.

But then, you are taken from that "realistic" mindset and thrown into a completely unrealistic set of circumstances with no real reasoning as to why. It's as though on-foot gameplay and activities were developed by an entirely different studio than the driving mechanics.

There is a certain assumption made in your post that lies at the basis of the opinion contained in it, but this assumption is not explicitly mentioned nor defended.

What you assume is that it is a valuable criterion for a game that non realistic and realistic aspects of it should be consistent among one another at how realistic they are. You should explain to me why this criterion holds value considering the burden of truth concerning that opinion belongs to you.

According to your logic cars in GTA V should not look like real life cars bececauase this would be realistic, which forms a strong contrast with the fact that the GTA V universe is only limited to something inbetween 20 and 25 square miles, eventhough the universe we live in is quite a lot bigger...

Gameplay mechanics are not designed to be consistent with one another when it comes to realism. They are mechanics designed to convey the message that we as consumers enjoy. And what I enjoy in each feature is not measured in how consistent it is when it comes to realism with another feature (as an example the universe-car comparison I gave earlier).

pookie1
  • pookie1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Whether it's *car* collision physics, *car* handling, *car* flipping, etc. ... there's a common trend here and it all seems to involve *cars*.

Not to say there aren't complaints elsewhere, but the theme is pretty evident.

dantheman9856
  • dantheman9856

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

the driving is kind of hit and miss.  There is a huge difference between high end cars and crappy ones.  You also have to consider the road you drive on too.  Dirt roads you do slide, but even with high end cars it doesnt really matter.  It isn't that the driving is absolutely terrible, it is decent, but the handling between types of cars is way too different.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users