» «
Photo

The issue with driving/damage is not the handling. It's that GTA:V

357 replies to this topic
dave343
  • dave343

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:57 AM Edited by dave343, 17 September 2013 - 10:01 AM.

While I haven't had a chance to play GTA V yet, I did want to make a few comments regarding the handling, and damage to cars.

First off damage. In GTA IV Damage was love / hate relationship for me, and I'm sure some will agree with me on this.  On the one hand I always found endless fun in seeing how much abuse a car could take in IV.  Nothing more fun then doing 100km/hr and t-boning another car.

On the flip side... I hated it.  In IV you had to drive as if your car was made of glass. Damage was very easy to accumulate on cars, even from the slightest fender bender.  How many times were you driving that favourite car, or just had it re-painted to fix it up only to have a small fender bender which caused half the car to crumple. Yes, the damage was very fun and realistic, but it was also a hair pulling experience because of how easy it was to cause damage at such low speeds.  

At first I was a bit disappointing when I started to read this thread, because of how much I enjoyed the ability in IV to damage cars, and now reading it's slightly gone. But this is also a blessing because if I finally find THAT car I want, or have my car repaired, it infuriates me that a simple fender bender would cause sooo much damage. 

As far as the handling, I haven't play V so I can't comment, but I will say a few things on IV's handling. 

Again I would have to say it was a love hate thing.... I liked the ability to pull handbrake turns in intersections, probably my favourite part, but at the same time the cars did have a major boat effect to them and the suspension felt super loose.  

You can't and won't please everyone, especially with a game of this magnitude.

From the sounds of it, R* has taken previous games, complaints, and positive things into consideration and tried to accommodate as many as they could.  You're never going to have that perfect game, and if it IS perfect for you, it's not for others. 

I don't know. I thought having car insurance was a good way of dealing with some of those issues. And people complain there is nothing to spend money on in these games. I think car customization, tuning, repair, insurance, etc seems like a good money sink. But why even bother buying insurance or upgrading a car with armor when it is already nearly indestructible. I am exaggerating a bit... but not much. I spent what seemed like quite a while smashing a car into things with no exciting outcome or very noticeable damage. I just took it back to a garage and it was fixed for free.

GTA IV was over the top damage... and I don't want to drive around thinking my car is made of glass, and that's exactly how I felt because it was way too easy to damage cars. Even at low speed the damage would be exorbitant. Remember this is a game, and although OK damage can be very fun, I also don't want my car looking like an accordion driving from A to B. And don't say I should drive more carefully.... lol that was impossible in IV, and too many idiots would tap your car themselves only to leave your back end hanging off.  It had it's moments, but if what I'm hearing is true, i'm glad it's been toned down. 

Now if only I could play it lol... my copy is sitting in front of the TV calling my name... but kid duty calls first.

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

GTA IV was over the top damage... and I don't want to drive around thinking my car is made of glass, and that's exactly how I felt because it was way too easy to damage cars. Even at low speed the damage would be exorbitant. Remember this is a game, and although OK damage can be very fun, I also don't want my car looking like an accordion driving from A to B. And don't say I should drive more carefully.... lol that was impossible in IV, and too many idiots would tap your car themselves only to leave your back end hanging off.  It had it's moments, but if what I'm hearing is true, i'm glad it's been toned down. 

Now if only I could play it lol... my copy is sitting in front of the TV calling my name... but kid duty calls first.

Over the top damage? Have you ever seen a car smashing into a wall? GTA IV wasn't over the top, just saying...

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

I agree with OP 100% and also motorcyles handle like a joke as does the Buzzard helicopter (GTA4 pilots need not apply).

Again with the inconsistency as they seem to be going for ultra-realism with the Buzzard as it sways around in the wind like crazy making your aim difficult, but all other vehicles handle like remote control cars.  You cannot even do donuts in muscle cars or other high powered RWD cars.  This is a catastrophe of logic.  Not to mention drifting is impossible too (unless using "slidey cars" cheat, which is somewhat of an improvement but it doesn't fix the bikes and the cheat stops working after a while so you can't even use it in the long term).   Even the good tire smoke effects from GTA4 have been removed.

I doubt whether Rockstar can patch this even if they wanted to as the RAGE engine from GTA4 probably requires a lot more processing to calculate all the extra dynamic motions of the car.    Take for example driving over curbs, the way the car just bobs up and down over them in GTA5 is completely simplistic and pathetic, whereas in GTA4 it takes into account the angle you hit the curb and in certain cases can even flip the vehicle, which is very cool.

Conclusion: this will never be "fixed", because there's nothing to be fixed, that's just how Rockstar wants the cars to behave in GTA5, and is probably the reason the graphics are better (cut down on physics processing, improve the graphics).

• JOHNNYLEX likes this

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:14 AM Edited by h311m4n, 17 September 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Thanks for talking sense pookie1. I've been reading this forum for a few days and I'm tired of the 90% bullsh*t topics where everyone gets insulted. You can't seem to express concern or dislike on this forum even when explained constructively without being told to f*ck off or that you're a hater or a noob or whatever.

Now I've played GTA since the very first episode on PS1 and spent countless hours on III, vice city and SA. Back then the driving was very arcady but it was fun.

I'm still waiting to get my copy of GTA V and I'm sort of worried about the handling/damage with all the hearsay, I guess I'll see for myself when I finally get to play it.

Then IV came a long and even though I'll admit it took some getting used to, I really enjoyed the ragdoll physics and the dynamic damage and the radically changed handling. It's not even a question of it being realistic as compared to the real world (although it was a clear attempt at it), the change in driving/handling/damage was just adapted to the game itself. Imagine having the ragdoll physics in GTA IV and then having the handling of GTA SA, that wouldn't make any sense would it?

It's hard to explain I guess but I liked having to try and keep the car running in IV while escaping from cops or whatever. I find it genuinely fun to have a car undrivable after crashing or getting shot at while being pursued and having to run on foot to find another one, felt really action-movie like.

So now I hear all this stuff about driving done wrong and I'm getting a bit worried this will spoil the experience. If it's real I guess we'll have to wait for the PC version and the modding scene...

EDIT: I got a good comparision. Remember Test Drive Unlimited and its hardcore mode? Totally unrealistic (cars would fly for miles on each bump) yet really enjoyable. Then came Test Drive Unlimited 2...

• GeorgieNJ likes this

gevebe
  • gevebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

We need to be able to switch to the original handling and possible a more realistic damage model.

take a look at the petition below!

http://www.change.or...o-gta-4-style-2

JOHNNYLEX
  • JOHNNYLEX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Kudos to u sir.

R* give this guy a job.

richiespeed13
  • richiespeed13

Live for the Nordschleife...

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Great post, OP.

If they bring back suspension and the feeling of weight, they are on the right track.

The actual damage model is good, the way cars break apart, etc, but the deformation and sensitivity is far too low. They also need to ditch the ability to maneuver your car in the air and to rotate it after flipping. Those are big immersion breakers for me.

Everything else seems ok. I just feel like the cars are too detached from physics in GTA V, where as in GTA IV, the cars reacted realistically to the world, although the physics were not perfect. (Still better than V, imho)

• JOHNNYLEX likes this

JOHNNYLEX
  • JOHNNYLEX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:07 PM Edited by JOHNNYLEX, 17 September 2013 - 01:09 PM.

I agree with OP 100% and also motorcyles handle like a joke as does the Buzzard helicopter (GTA4 pilots need not apply).

Again with the inconsistency as they seem to be going for ultra-realism with the Buzzard as it sways around in the wind like crazy making your aim difficult, but all other vehicles handle like remote control cars.  You cannot even do donuts in muscle cars or other high powered RWD cars.  This is a catastrophe of logic.  Not to mention drifting is impossible too (unless using "slidey cars" cheat, which is somewhat of an improvement but it doesn't fix the bikes and the cheat stops working after a while so you can't even use it in the long term).   Even the good tire smoke effects from GTA4 have been removed.

I doubt whether Rockstar can patch this even if they wanted to as the RAGE engine from GTA4 probably requires a lot more processing to calculate all the extra dynamic motions of the car.    Take for example driving over curbs, the way the car just bobs up and down over them in GTA5 is completely simplistic and pathetic, whereas in GTA4 it takes into account the angle you hit the curb and in certain cases can even flip the vehicle, which is very cool.

Conclusion: this will never be "fixed", because there's nothing to be fixed, that's just how Rockstar wants the cars to behave in GTA5, and is probably the reason the graphics are better (cut down on physics processing, improve the graphics).

That's exactly what I think. It just didn't make sense that this behemoth of a game was running on current gen. I knew they had to make sacrifices somewhere and now I know where it was. The Physics of the cars and NPC's. Still fun to play though, the police AI seems to be greatly improved and is a lot more fun to try get away from the cops. Maybe a sacrifice I'm happy to make for now. Still wish they focused on next gen for v though or maybe its coming.

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

That's exactly what I think. It just didn't make sense that this behemoth of a game was running on current gen. I knew they had to make sacrifices somewhere and now I know where it was. The Physics of the cars and NPC's. Still fun to play though, the police AI seems to be greatly improved and is a lot more fun to try get away from the cops. Maybe a sacrifice I'm happy to make for now. Still wish they focused on next gen for v though or maybe its coming.

For a game that highly relies on driving in its gameplay it sounds odd they would make heavy concessions on the driving/handling and not on something else. I still have to see for myself but if true you can't even doughnut in an RWD car...

gevebe
  • gevebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Not that it will happend, but we can only hope they do something about it, so you can choose what playstyle you want arcade like or the more realistic one so they can please the ones who like the way it is now, or the ones who prefer IV mechanics. But I'm not sure if that's even possible with this engine, I'm not a developer. 

Yeah the new handling is terrible compared with GTA 4, we need to be able to switch to a more less arcade feel.

Please sign the petition at Change.org

http://www.change.or...etition_created

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Not that it will happend, but we can only hope they do something about it, so you can choose what playstyle you want arcade like or the more realistic one so they can please the ones who like the way it is now, or the ones who prefer IV mechanics. But I'm not sure if that's even possible with this engine, I'm not a developer. 

Yeah the new handling is terrible compared with GTA 4, we need to be able to switch to a more less arcade feel.

Please sign the petition at Change.org

http://www.change.or...etition_created

Even if, you know when we will get this right? With GTA VI, 5 years from now.

Stynki
  • Stynki

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by Stynki, 17 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Such a fantastic game ruined by the vehicle phisycs and bad damage model...

All cars have traction control, stability control, abs, what is this? ALSO they have an auto counter-steering aid ?!? They don't have proper suspension model, grip model, and inertia also. Sorry, but am i suposed to drive with closed eyes?

They can be re-fliped, they can be controled in the air, one of the worst things also is when they are on a slope, they just stay in place, not goes/slides down by gravity? Glued to the ground, or what ?

Arcade driving is fun ?! Where is the fun in all of that ?? There is NO FUN in driving emotionless, and without any feel, that you have to be aware and push the brakes sometimes.. Also you know that in chases, the cops will takes the turns as fast and grippy as you, so there is no drama in chases. You just have to be faster... you can't out-trick the cops, using the inertia system, or sharper drifty turn, expecting them to not make it. I don't want chases, where me + the cops behind, are like one big snake, gripped to the road.

One more frustration thing, nobody mention - try to drive a car 5-10 metres with slight turn to some direction, then let the car stop without using the brakes. You will see how somehow, when the car stop, the rear wheels do one final place adjustment to the road by itself ( like 10-20cm )!  And not only this, but sometimes in the same stopping situation, the front wheels on his own do one little turn and then go back to front direction?! 

Oh, and about the other type of vehicles.. I don't feel like i will lose control when driving them. This said enough.

I mean, if this is not patched, or at least the driving aids to be turned On and Off, it is really a game-braker.

**Yes, i play the full game.

• birakira and GeorgieNJ like this

FEDE_snma_ITA
  • FEDE_snma_ITA

Shipped up to Boston

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for talking sense pookie1. I've been reading this forum for a few days and I'm tired of the 90% bullsh*t topics where everyone gets insulted. You can't seem to express concern or dislike on this forum even when explained constructively without being told to f*ck off or that you're a hater or a noob or whatever.

Now I've played GTA since the very first episode on PS1 and spent countless hours on III, vice city and SA. Back then the driving was very arcady but it was fun.

I'm still waiting to get my copy of GTA V and I'm sort of worried about the handling/damage with all the hearsay, I guess I'll see for myself when I finally get to play it.

Then IV came a long and even though I'll admit it took some getting used to, I really enjoyed the ragdoll physics and the dynamic damage and the radically changed handling. It's not even a question of it being realistic as compared to the real world (although it was a clear attempt at it), the change in driving/handling/damage was just adapted to the game itself. Imagine having the ragdoll physics in GTA IV and then having the handling of GTA SA, that wouldn't make any sense would it?

It's hard to explain I guess but I liked having to try and keep the car running in IV while escaping from cops or whatever. I find it genuinely fun to have a car undrivable after crashing or getting shot at while being pursued and having to run on foot to find another one, felt really action-movie like.

So now I hear all this stuff about driving done wrong and I'm getting a bit worried this will spoil the experience. If it's real I guess we'll have to wait for the PC version and the modding scene...

EDIT: I got a good comparision. Remember Test Drive Unlimited and its hardcore mode? Totally unrealistic (cars would fly for miles on each bump) yet really enjoyable. Then came Test Drive Unlimited 2...

Yeah, that's the reason, many people wanted useless features from San Andreas, and that arcade vibe the game had, so they downgraded physics of cars and objects and improved graphic.

And while i don't agree on what they have done since it feels strange a drive focused game would have it's handling downgraded, it's equally understandable why they went with this decision, and that's because physics of objects are really heavy on hardware.

I personally liked the direction taken by GTA IV and i'm upset they didn't follow that.

But generally, these days almost every franchise has been simplified and gamings golden age has died from years.

I feel that problem is  common to many other aspects in media and society, when something gets so widespread as gaming in the recent years things tend to get dumber t appeal our dumb society as a whole.

I played IV when i was 12/13 and i enjoyed every single feature ad realistic improvement, so i don't feel to say it's the nowadays gamers fault if the games are so much dumber then they used to be in the past.

But V really has a troubled personality, some things got more realistic, some others went down to hell in that terms...

I don't know, i think R need to think which end of the spectrum wants to occupy with it's newer games, be it arcady or realistic, they need to choose one.

And i feel they'll choose arcade because that means more copies sold, even though IV was one of the best rated/sold games of this era...

HamToast
  • HamToast

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I made an account on this forum just to share my experience with this game so far, and my incredible disappointmentin the driving characteristics of the game .

I have a friend who works for Rock star and I was able to get a copy of the game about a week before it's release. Atfirst I was very happy with it and overjoyed to be playing it. But once the story started to play out and I wanted to toy around with the game physics, I had a realization. This ggame has very little damage effects on the vehicles and almost no suspension.

If I'm driving a super car at 150 mph and slam into a brick wall, I expect the car to be very badly damaged. That is not the case in this game. I can run head on into anything at any speed and suffer little more than scratches and maybe a small dent. Cars seem to be almost indestructible and it's very disappointing, especially when I consider half the fun of these games to be playing around with the physics and breaking cars.

The suspension issue is another problem. While I expect a super car to grip the Road like it's glued to it, I also expect an SUV to flip over during a sharp turn at high speeds. The later of these events is non existent. All vehicles seem to handle like a high end super car and it takes the fun out of driving in this game for me.

I don't think GTA4 was perfect, but in many ways I think the driving physics of GTA5 were a step backwards. The long term playability of this game will suffer a great deal. In fact, I can't see myself playing this much longer than when I finish the story. So much of the fun for me is in driving and wrecking vehicles and laughing at the crumpled up front end or the back end being pushed up higher than the roof. None of that is in this game.

As a final note, cars being able to be unclipped and controlled while in midair is just plain stupid.
  • birakira likes this

Crimson Engage
  • Crimson Engage

LCPD

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I loved IV's handling. Cars had weight to them.

Good points op. GTA V feels more like a racing game now. Cars stick to the road so well there is no point to upgrade handling. Damage has been toned down to the point you don't need car armor. If you flip over you can just sit in the car and flip it back. Gone is the suspence of botching a high speed chase and realizing you need to find a new car quick.

And lastly (and I hate this the most) you can control your cars movementwhile you are airborne!

• birakira likes this

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:27 PM Edited by Lucius Aelius, 17 September 2013 - 03:42 PM.

Great thread OP, I couldn't agree more. Everyone saying GTA isn't trying to be realistic is clueless. Every game tries to create their own world in which to immerse oneself, and that world must be consistent for that immersion to be maintained. Also, like the best lies, these worlds must include as much truth as possible to be believable.

In fantasy or sci-fi there's much more wiggle room, but R* themselves said they were going out of their way to create a hyper-realistic (albeit alternate reality) recreation of an actual place in the world, where things like physics are pretty important to get accurate if you want it to be believable.

Of course in video games one isn't expected to have the same skill set as the person they're playing in the game, as such it is always necessary to simplify tasks enough to be reasonably doable, but there is a point when you've oversimplified something and made it too easy to do.

I haven't played V yet (preordered, getting delivered today) but if it's as bad as so many people say (the car damage I can see for myself is blatantly unrealistic) then that lack of realism will break the experience of immersion and make this game much less than it could have been.

I'm waiting to reserve judgement until I play it for myself, but if it feels to unrealistic driving around I can't imagine enjoying this game very much. As has been said this is Grand Theft Auto and most of your time is spent driving, making it the single most important thing in the game to get right. If they got it wrong (too badly wrong anyway), the rest isn't worth bothering with.

If my expectations at this point are met, I expect I'll find it unrealistic but not too much so to stop me from playing and enjoying it. Still, it would only be better by being more realistic, if in a simplified enough way to be not overly difficult to use.

EDIT: And in case it wasn't obvious from the content of my post, I'm a fan of GTA IV's physics and damage, they weren't perfect but they were damn close.

3dwizard
  • 3dwizard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

So you seriously wish that the first time you find that bugatti and steal it, 15 seconds later its destroyed!!!

Dude, what the f*ck. How could they just remove the awesome damage system they've had in gta4 even though gta5 uses the same engine as gta4 and just replace it with some ugly UGLY scripted arcade bullsh*t damage system?

If it comes on PC and the car damage is as bad as I've seen it to be in numerous gameplay videos from ps3 and 360, it better freaking be tweakable via scrips and moddable like in gta4, or I am not even touch this game no matter what!

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:26 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 17 September 2013 - 05:26 PM.

In another topic someone told me I can't shoot because I want soft lock. He also told me I can't drive because I think making the driving more arcady from IV to V is a good move. Ironically enough I'm a better driver than a shooter.

I don't think I contradicted myself ever. I think the arcady driving does give better gameplay. Sometimes chases in IV felt slow and boring because each turn you were driving a car or a bike that acted like a goddamn boat. I think the faster more responsive driving will result in better gameplay. I have to play the game to give my final verdict on it though.

And it's the exact same with the auto lock. It keeps it up tempo. The v handling is kinda like auto fast cornering haha. It keeps everything up tempo. But I understand that other people might prefer different gameplay. That's fine. It's nice to share opinions on it though.

I disagree. It plays the game for you. Did you also think it was fun playing GTA 4 or RDR online with auto lock? What is the fun in not aiming? What is fun in having to do no more than holding down one button and pressing another to succeed? Why wouldn't you want a challenge? Isn't that a big part of why we play games online? To be competitive. To test your skills against another person, which should prove more difficult and challenging than against an ai.

It's not ironic that you are a better driver than a shooter. They seem to have made the shooting a little more challenging in V and the driving is so incredibly easy a cave man could do it.(Geico commercial) lol

It is no wonder you are a batter driver than a shooter. Driving takes substantially less skill than I think it has in any GTA to come before it. Or maybe it is just as much as the 3 era games. But I remember SA being more challenging than this. The shooting while not super hard, seems more deadly. So there is much less margin for error.

I was a good driver in GTA IV too... Try doing TBoGT Bang Bang 100% without a helicopter (only with Buffalo).

But just been playing this game. All I have to say is: driving is f*cking awesome. And you'll find out in the first mission because you follow a character you can't overtake, so if you are good at driving you just go motherf*cking fast, and I loved it.

Too lazy to give more argumentation than that because I want to play GTA V more. Just wanted to post this to point out that after playing I'm far more confident that the driving is awesome as I was before.

mobile
  • mobile

Mobile

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think the reason is simple: when driving through a huge map full of things to bump and crash on the chances of having your car totaled on the middle of nowhere would be incredibly high, so they decided to make the handling a little bit better AND the cars a lot stronger than before.

My opinion? It's just a game. Get used to it the way it is because it's unlikely that they will patch it just because a few of you guys are whining about it.

O.Z
  • O.Z

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Cars handle like Mario Kart compared to the GTAIV, also bikes are soooo awful, no suspension no weight at all :(

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

I hope Rockstar do something about this... they just have to take down the vehicles armor.

But that won't fix the handling, and it is the handling that needs addressing more than damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chances of Rockstar giving us a realistic handling patch are less than zero.

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

So I just played the first mission, not much to go on yet but everything seems okay so far, no glaring lack of realism that stops me from being immersed in the world.

ElderTyrant
  • ElderTyrant

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

GTAIV is released...everyone wanted it to be more like SA.

GTAV is released...

Murad96
  • Murad96

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

How the hell are the NPCS worse? The AI is better, the animations are better, there is more detail in them.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

when you make a new GTA, you can not listen to people who are asked to do physics and damage more simple and easy, otherwise you'll have a bad game

NYPD.ESU.55
  • NYPD.ESU.55

CPR

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I've found some interesting thing... https://www.youtube....etailpage#t=354

Look closely from 5:58. When he hit the cop cars fender, and the copcar hits the tree... WHERE IS THAT DAMAGE FROM THE GAMEPLAY?! I ve seena lot of gameplay videos, tried the game on X360, - however i prefer pc gaming - but i never seen that kind of damage model, ever..

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:23 PM Edited by Lucius Aelius, 17 September 2013 - 10:25 PM.

I've played the first two missions now, and while I see why people have been complaining its not all quite as bad as a lot of people seemed to think IMHO. Cars still spin out, I drifted through sharper turns going faster than I could have without drifting (the way a lot of people went on about the cars glued to the road would have you believe cars can't fishtail or drift at all, which just isn't true). It's different and will definitely take some getting used to, but the handling is fine as it is I think.

The cars not taking damage though, and having flipped Franklins car (by accident) I saw for myself how readily you can simply rock the car back onto its wheels in just a few seconds, even in a tight space with obstacles all around you. Pretty ridiculous, and not really in a good way.

I agree that the cars shouldn't take realistic damage because they'd break after one crash and this game wouldn't work as it does at all. GTA IV damage was perfect in my opinion, this is just overkill. None of it game breaking as some at least have said (anyone saying that is seriously overreacting), but it would be nice if R* came up with a patch to at least tone down the damage resistance a little and either make it harder or preferably impossible to roll your car back over from the inside.

dave343
  • dave343

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

I've played through the first Franklin mission and can definitely see where the handling changes have been made. 

I'm was a huge, huge fan of the driving mechanics in GTA IV, love loved it.  When you went over a bump, a curb, you could see the front tire react in the manner in which you'd expect from the suspension.  Everything about the car handling, skidding, hand brake turns, it was perfect. 

Doing the franklin mission the first thing that came to mind was if the car had some magnet strapped to the bottom.  Felt more like I was driving a bumper car that never left the ground or had any life to it.  It is a bit of a disappointment because GTA IV handling was perfect. Spot on perfect, IMO anyways.  The rest of GTA IV, well it lacked everything, and that is where GTA V has come through for me in what I'm reading and looking forward to seeing. I would have really liked to have seen the driving mechanics brought over, but maybe they will release a patch.  If not, it's still a kick @ss game.

• nikbwfc likes this

nikbwfc
  • nikbwfc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Sign this to get the vehicle mechanics/physics changed back to GTA iv style

http://www.change.or...=share_petition

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think the reason is simple: when driving through a huge map full of things to bump and crash on the chances of having your car totaled on the middle of nowhere would be incredibly high, so they decided to make the handling a little bit better AND the cars a lot stronger than before.

My opinion? It's just a game. Get used to it the way it is because it's unlikely that they will patch it just because a few of you guys are whining about it.

The driving in the game is worse than GTA SA, in all vehicle categories.

GTA SA had a huge map and less durable cars, did people bitch about it? No. IV's offroad driving would have been perfect in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users