Photo

Helicopter control

149 replies to this topic
Chopper Gunner
  • Chopper Gunner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Seeing as y'all don't have any skill at flying, I offer you all my services once we get online.
Remember the name Revoemag, best heli pilot in town.

Were you a dogfighter on GTA 4?

Chopper Gunner
  • Chopper Gunner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Called realism. Ever flown an actual helicopter? Stupidly hard, the most slight of movements will change direction vastly. So whether R* was actually going for realism, they seem like theyve done well.

No its way beyond realism, In GTA you have Hard Turbulance 24/7. it needs better balancing.

Isn't there a pilot skill bar? So it should tighten up the more you fly a heli?

yep there is but people dont understand

Flying skills dont do anything. its meant to minimal Turbulance but dose not have any real affect even at 100%

It's all a matter of training. Just like in BF3, I couldn't fly for sh*t at first, but eventually, I mastered it. You can't expect yourself to handle everything well after 3 days.

No BF3 uses flying skills on a whole diffrent level. Im a BF veteran, i know.

GTA was easy to master, however it dose not matter as the "Turbulance" is way over done in GTA V and dose not mimic conditions when there is minimal turbulance or none.

I gotta disagree about GTA being easy to master compared to BF3. Im a top notch pilot on both games and I dont think making a comparison is even fair as they are two different games with two different set of mechanics. They both have their difficulties in their own right. I think what they did with GTA V, isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. Just needs some getting used to.

KurtG85
  • KurtG85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

The limit on pitching forward and back and side to side is annoying as well since it limits the awesomeness of the maneuvers you can pull off. 

Again, if you've ever seen a chopper flying its obvious there is nothing even remotely close to realistic about the level of random sway taking place with choppers and planes (perhaps maybe if we are constantly in major winds), it is not correctable through 'counter steer' (you will inevitably drift 20 ft left and right no matter what you input), has nothing to do with player skill, and makes the most fun aspect of GTA IV (precision high speed chases of cars and other choppers through dense buildings and trees) impossible.  Note the key words: precision, high speed and FUN.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

It was a little difficult at first but I got used to it in less than 10 minutes. Now I actually like it better than IV's helicopter physics, it's more of a challenge.

GuantanamoObama
  • GuantanamoObama

That is to say, Cunnilingus

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

I abhor the camera tilt. 

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

It may have been done like that on purpose to make it difficult for pilots to do that manouever where you circle above firing on the same spot.

Cedimedi
  • Cedimedi

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

The handling is ok, well not really but i can't complain that much. The only thing that annoys the sh*t out of me is the turbulence or whatever that is. You can't fly straight without wobbling left/right like some drunk dude after 20 beers. I have 100/100 flying too. Damn, can't wait for a PC Mod. This really ruins it.

The turbulence in airplanes is very annoying too. A bit is okay, but if you get hit by a wind or whatever like every 5 seconds, its not funny anymore.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

It isn't about it being too hard, lack of flight skill or training. It's a constant random sway that is completely unrealistic and adds nothing to the game. Worst part is that you can't edit it out from handling.dat, looks to be hardcoded in.

30flightsofstairs
  • 30flightsofstairs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

We have to shove this fact STRAIGHT in R*'s face. EVERYONE has to. That's the only way they'll listen.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:41 AM Edited by Munx, 28 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

It isn't about it being too hard, lack of flight skill or training. It's a constant random sway that is completely unrealistic and adds nothing to the game. Worst part is that you can't edit it out from handling.dat, looks to be hardcoded in.

Indeed, Personally I love the overall handling and don't find it to hard at all, but the amount of turbulence is tedious Its not something that adds to the game, it actually detracts when its as common as it is now.

I am not saying turbulence should be cut, not at all..a odd sway every now and then is fine, and massive turbulence during a storm is great.

But when you have perfectly clear weather, and just want to cruise the countryside in your chopper, the constant turbulence is annoying, infact after flying for upward of a hour I feel directly sick from all the wobbling.

And yeah, its not even realistic, there is turbulence in real life for sure, but for a helicopter the big majority of the flight is what you call smooth flight, except for conditions like storms etc.

Benzie mentioned they were hesistant to add the need for fuel, as player might find it tedious.. I can honestly say I find the unrealistic amount of turbulence to be far more tedious then having to refuel my tank (something that actually makes sense).

Neoflite
  • Neoflite

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

Loved flying in IV, in this game it is something to get used to. Not really a problem, untill I tried the loaded Buzzard today. With these controls, it is very difficult to have a shot on anything. You`re just swaying around when trying to aim at a police helicopter. Not a very fun experience.

This might also be something to get used to, but for now, I really don`t like it.

naizarak
  • naizarak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

the shaking is tolerable, it's the camera movement that's retarded

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

anyone know if we can no longer hover ?

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

the shaking is tolerable, it's the camera movement that's retarded

With camera movement issues I am assume you are playing in third person, try the first person view for chopper, this is when the real issues with the amount of wobbling become apparent.

Instead of seeing the chopper wobble while your camera is steady, your entire camera wobbles constantly, and it might very well make you feel ill.

Stangone50: I am still able to hover, its a bit more difficult, but hovering is not the problem.

30flightsofstairs
  • 30flightsofstairs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

It may have been done like that on purpose to make it difficult for pilots to do that manouever where you circle above firing on the same spot.

*may* have? We need to somehow force r* to come clean on this whole issue.

adamsowilliams
  • adamsowilliams

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

people saying that 'you just have to master it by practising' are missing the point, holding the left stick completely still in a forward position should make the helicopter fly straight forward, but it doesnt. i can understand that cross winds and such would make this harder, but judging by the movement of the helicopters there seems to be gale force winds 24/7. i have flown a helicopter simulator before and can tell you GTAIV was much more realistic than V. would be understandable if these random movements of the helicopter were when playing as less experienced characters, and got better/more controlled over time, but all 3 of mine have 100/100 and still cant fly the damn thing straight.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't even fly heli's unless I just have to because of the weeble-wobble heli syndrome. It's retarded and made flying stressful.

soldat89
  • soldat89

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Stfu and go to flight school

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Stfu and go to flight school

I did and got all gold and the heli's still have the weeble-wobble syndrome. It's the dumbest sh*t I've ever seen.

avfc1991
  • avfc1991

KATY PERRY <3

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

They are really easy to fly.

30flightsofstairs
  • 30flightsofstairs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

And no one's ever confronted r* over this? and where did the "It's a bug" come from anyway? How come support's not flooding with complaints about this?

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

It is really tricky to get used to but I finally did get the hang of it after completing flight school with each character...lol

They really do need to offer a vehicle sensitivity option in this game.  I usually play with close to max sensitivity in most games and even I find controlling vehicles very touchy in GTA V.  I have gotten used to it but it must be quite hard for people who don't normally use higher sensitivity.

sigma77
  • sigma77

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

I think the flying is fine in this game, if I could offer a suggestion that would help a lot of you, when you are flying the helicopter forward; hold the right knob (view direction) slightly forward as well and it'll keep you level (none - to little swinging). 

30flightsofstairs
  • 30flightsofstairs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Seriously, has the debate on helicopters go cold this fast?

Lildigg22
  • Lildigg22

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Is it me or is flying better? I fly heli's alot online and they handle so nicely. Even with my flying stat low

Yngve81
  • Yngve81

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

My big problem is the lack of realism, and why you dont have the option to fly it like a real chopper. In GTA IV you hade the options to change controls like in preveous gta. Then you could hover perfectly sideways and in all directions and keep your nose to the target.

Then the two analog sticks contoled the heli and L1&L2 for turning on its axis...almost like real, there you have two analog handles and two foot pedals that behave the same

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

The controls are horrible , you cant keep your heli straight because if your left stick moves 1 mili meters to left or right the heli will start flowing towards that direction . YOU JUST CANT KEEP THE DAMN THING STRAIGHT.

I'm not that kind of guy who whines about everything like the ones who complain about the driving . in my opinion , the driving is absolutely perfect and not arcady , it still requires skills to keep your expensive customized vehicle unharmed.even the airplanes manuvers seem very nice and handy (still not arcady) but your heli is just out of your control and you cant keep it STABLE.

it really sucks because the controls are made like this to ease the flying for noobs but they've made them a nightmare for other players .

I loved heli controls in IV . they were totally real . I mean the flying physics were perfect . if you were one of those skilled heli pilots back in IV you should know what Im mean about the flying physics and weight and rotor direction and engine power . I insist that driving and airplane controls are absolutely perfect and enjoyable but heli controls are just made for noobs and a nightmare for better players.

At least this is my opinion , please post yours if you have played the game and controlled a helicopter.

(sorry about my poor English)

i totally hate flying the helicopters in both gta v and online because there so sensitive.

amanonatoilet
  • amanonatoilet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Called realism. Ever flown an actual helicopter? Stupidly hard, the most slight of movements will change direction vastly. So whether R* was actually going for realism, they seem like theyve done well.

amanonatoilet
  • amanonatoilet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Uh WRONG. I'm a helo crew chief with 750+ hrs. A helo is not that unstable. On take off and landing yes cause ground signature(feedback) but in air any average pilot will keep a helo straight on flight. The helo movement in GTA is not realistic

amanonatoilet
  • amanonatoilet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

And if they were trying to make the thumbstick as realistic as a pilot's controls, that's dumb, because helos have afcs and trim to keep them straight. Having a realistic stick without that makes for unrealistic flight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users