Photo

Helicopter control

149 replies to this topic
spectre01
  • spectre01

GTA & MW Lover

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

The only thing thats pure bullsh*t about aircraft/helicopter is the exaggerated cross wind. It's not like you are flying into a tornado, and the damn helo wobbling around every 3 seconds like a drunken hobo. Even with Travor, who has 100/100 flying skills and golded all flight school challenges, the helo still wobbling because of some constant "100km/h wind". And it makes flying totally unenjoyable.

That and I still hate the "auto leveling" on helicopters thats been around since vice city.
  • Boxman108 likes this

ComeOvarHer
  • ComeOvarHer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:12 PM Edited by ComeOvarHer, 21 September 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Finally some guys who think the same as me.

So, my opinion - I LOVED flying a annihilator in GTA IV, i flew with high speed close to the ground over other players in MP, we made races like CAR vs. CHOPPER or I flew through skyscrapers and the city at low altitude but now?

GTA V killed it, you can't just fly straight without having the helicopter constantly diving slightly to the left or right.

I mean realistic flying physics, ok - but it's still GTA, the controls DONT have to be SO realistic.

The controls of the cars are much better than in GTA IV but the small helis are nearly uncontrolable. (I tested it with Michael after completing flight school when he had 100/100 flight skills, and with Trevor, who is naturally a "pro pilot")

And anyone who writes "maybe youre a noob and you just cant control it / go play BF3 first if you think the controls are hard" then play the game and test it on you own. And YES, i played BF3 a lot, and i love the chopper-controls in BF3. I wish they would have put them into GTA V but no...

BTW even in BF3 - which is much more realistic - there is no stupid stuff like "wind", if this is the reason why the helicopter cant fly straight in GTA V

• m.scarecrow likes this

Vika
  • Vika

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Heli control sucks like albanian hooker

Hendrix89
  • Hendrix89

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Heli' controls i find quite strange. Seems to be very twitchy to me. Especially the dual rotor one.

Especially for a more of a 'arcade game' compared to DCS Black Shark, Huey, MI8 (which require a lot of attention in flying but seem more stable to me) or even in ARMA2/3.

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:49 PM Edited by SuperDuperGta, 21 September 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Totally agree the swing is a bit overkill, makes me dizzy just flying them. If they were trying to make it a lot more realistic then why did they make the driving more arcadey? (not dissing GTA5 Driving, I prefer it to GTA4)

Edit:

Also I agree BF3 is spot on with choppers I was begging they would be like BF3 pre-release

DwnShft2Xcelr8
  • DwnShft2Xcelr8

Hove Beach Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

The only problem I've had with helicopters is during the flight school. I've got a gold in everything except the two helicopter challenges. FML  :cry:

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I use a f*cking cargobob to do my day-to-day flying.

The light Mavericks and that new helicopters? Screw 'em.

Also, has anyone handles a Buzzard yet? Does it handle like sh*t too?

LGDE56
  • LGDE56

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Helicopter controls suck dick!!! Just like every other kiss ass on this thread, you know who you are!

Oboboli
  • Oboboli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

I fully agree with OP. They seemed to have coded constant sway, from side to side, that is really annoying. You can just ignore it and the chopper will fly straight, but it's distracting to see it swaying/ocillating like crazy for no reason at all. It soundls like this IS a real "feature" and doesn't improve as your experience increases. I haven't flown all choppers yet, it sounds like some have less of this artificially induced sway, but I think it crazy to think it is in somehow better. GTA IV was much more enjoyable for flying choppers, I'd spend hours trying to do as many missions as possible using them, but I doubt I will bother in GTA V since that type of precision just can't be performed in close quarters with swaying blades hitting nearby objects. Maybe that's what Rockstar wanted, to discourage people from flying them in general.

Mannulus
  • Mannulus

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

One thing I really dislike about the new helicopters has to be the first person HUD like thing. I miss my magical shooting box. x3

DFW333
  • DFW333

Firefighter

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:41 AM Edited by DFW333, 24 September 2013 - 05:43 AM.

It's all a matter of training. Just like in BF3, I couldn't fly for sh*t at first, but eventually, I mastered it. You can't expect yourself to handle everything well after 3 days.

What's this crap about not being able to master something after three days? I've been playing GTA Vice City, San Andreas and GTA IV for years. Helicopters are easy as hell to fly in those games but suddenly not in this one despite having nearly identical control layout (except the rudders and throttle). WTF?

Schmange
  • Schmange

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

There's definitely 'pitch and roll' coded into all the aircraft.  If you hover the buzzard for instance and let go of the controls, it constantly keeps swaying all over the place.  It's not wind simulation because it's actually taking control of the helicopter from you.  It keeps pitching up, down, left, right etc... and it's impossible to compensate.

When flying the buzzard you can't even hit individual people on the ground accurately anymore.  

If it's like this in multiplayer, I don't know how the hell we're going to do dogfights like in GTAIV.  

DingUK
  • DingUK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:52 AM Edited by DingUK, 24 September 2013 - 11:53 AM.

I agree that there is some sort of issue at play with the controls.

I seemed to sense that the 6-axis motion sensor was somehow affecting the aircraft (even though I only have it enabled for weapon reloading) Anyone verify this or am I imagining it?

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

You just need to get used to it. Not everything that is just a little hard to master is a bug.

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

The controls are fine, do you realy want them to be easy to control and get penetrated by them everytime you go online? No.

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

MeGusta, both buzzards handle like the rest.

Also i too use the cargobob alot, mainly to carry my tank and HVY Dump truck around. The swaying is just plain annoying. However i can drop a tank on the flatbed of a moving train and pick up cars off the highways lol.

NotYourAverageDrPhil
  • NotYourAverageDrPhil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Also, has anyone handles a Buzzard yet? Does it handle like sh*t too?

The Buzzards handle GREAT! You can actually fly them full speed through the tunnels in the game when there's not too much traffic. :)

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:01 PM Edited by Revoemag, 24 September 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Maybe it gets better with flying ability ?

V requires real skill...like all skill, you will get better with practice and time.

Personally find flying heli to be closest to real I've ever played in a game. I'm loving it. Its a challenge and worth the effort to get good now that I can use that skill online and seeing as no one else can use it properly. Lol

Y'all bitch that car controls are to arcadie then you bitch that heli it to real....how the f*ck is R* suppose to make you happy when you don't even know what you want. (ROLL EYES)

Mhil Pickelson
  • Mhil Pickelson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person dissatisfied with the flight controls in this game.  I feel like Rockstar could solve everyone's issues by adding another control scheme that would allow you to place the yaw left/right on the left stick with the pitch, and place the roll control on the bumpers.  Is there any way we could petition this?

TenEightyOne
  • TenEightyOne

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

Called realism. Ever flown an actual helicopter? Stupidly hard, the most slight of movements will change direction vastly. So whether R* was actually going for realism, they seem like theyve done well.

I have, I've only got 5 hours but I've flown a Robinson R44. The heli handling in GTAV is not realistic and unlike all the other vehicles the handling doesn't improve with skill.

How many hours do you have? I'm genuinely interested to know.

KurtG85
  • KurtG85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

I also feel the random, (totally unrealistic) massive swaying of the choppers and fixed wings really kills what has always been the most exciting experience in the gta series for me: flying low and super fast through the amazingly realistic and beautiful game world.  This will be especially disappointing online as chopper fights, and getting chased by choppers was so perfectly balanced in gta IV and was the most fun aspect of online play for me in that game.  I can stomach that they pretty much blew it in terms of the terribly boring physics for the cars but the aircraft swaying literally makes me nauseous.  It would be cool in the full force of a storm maybe.

Lukezordz
  • Lukezordz

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Get used to it.

Flying straight isn't exactly hard, the only challenging bit is landing, just pull back on the analog stick then ease it forward to level out when landing.

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Called realism. Ever flown an actual helicopter? Stupidly hard, the most slight of movements will change direction vastly. So whether R* was actually going for realism, they seem like theyve done well.

Realism ? ok, why not. But what about the car handling. It's f*cking arcadish, I don't see much realism in it. So why R* would put more realism in helicopter handling than in car handling ? It would be logical if it was GTA IV, but in GTA V it seems quite senseless. The helicopter handling is very annoying.

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:01 PM Edited by ShinobiFixer, 26 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

I got used to the helicopter.  Have done a couple bounty hunting missions with Trevor's frogger with great satisfaction.  

Airplanes, I'm not used to so much yet, the landing part is crazy.

I can master them all with Trevor if I wanted to though, just have to practice.

woolva2k13
  • woolva2k13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:11 PM Edited by woolva2k13, 26 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

No its way beyond realism, In GTA you have Hard Turbulance 24/7. it needs better balancing.

Isn't there a pilot skill bar? So it should tighten up the more you fly a heli?

yep there is but people dont understand

Flying skills dont do anything. its meant to minimal Turbulance but dose not have any real affect even at 100%

It's all a matter of training. Just like in BF3, I couldn't fly for sh*t at first, but eventually, I mastered it. You can't expect yourself to handle everything well after 3 days.

No BF3 uses flying skills on a whole diffrent level. Im a BF veteran, i know.

GTA was easy to master, however it dose not matter as the "Turbulance" is way over done in GTA V and dose not mimic conditions when there is minimal turbulance or none.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Heli controls is the dumbest sh*t that I've ever seen in a video game. It really drags the game down for me. Airplanes will take off in just a few feet rtoo.....that is IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. cockstar fail

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I honestly feel as thought the problem is caused by the cross wind effect being slightly over exaggerated and having to instantaneous of an effect on flight dynamics.

• woolva2k13 likes this

Schmange
  • Schmange

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Maybe it gets better with flying ability ?

V requires real skill...like all skill, you will get better with practice and time.
Personally find flying heli to be closest to real I've ever played in a game. I'm loving it. Its a challenge and worth the effort to get good now that I can use that skill online and seeing as no one else can use it properly. Lol
Y'all bitch that car controls are to arcadie then you bitch that heli it to real....how the f*ck is R* suppose to make you happy when you don't even know what you want. (ROLL EYES)

It's not the flight controls that are at fault... It's the constant turbulence. .
Plus, the guns on the buzzard follow the auto aiming system so there's no way to accurately fire at individual people or even cars anymore.
I've flown the helicopters on gta4 for maybe 4 years, always from a first person perspective...hundreds of air battles at the airport. I can easily target anything within a few seconds.
I've been trying the buzzard for 3 days on gta5 now and while the helicopter itself is easy to fly, the constant rocking and inaccurate shooting mechanism makes helicopter battles and the targeting of small objects pretty much impossible. This isn't something that can be improved with practice either because the movements are sudden and completely random.

Chopper Gunner
  • Chopper Gunner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Even some pro pilots from GTA IV and TBoGT are complaining about this but it is not as bad as people are making it out to be. Just things to keep in mind:

1. Fly with a character who has full flying bars.

2. Be gentle on the controls. Unlinke GTA 4, this time you dont have to keep the stick pointed in a direction to keep the heli going that way...Just nudge it a bit and as it starts floating there, start using LB or RB to control your strafe.

This is my first time in the GTA 5 buzzard, and you can see Im controlling it and doing circle strafes while keeping my bullets on target pretty well and thats just from using the two tips I wrote above...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oBp2tovK3w4

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Seeing as y'all don't have any skill at flying, I offer you all my services once we get online.
Remember the name Revoemag, best heli pilot in town.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users