Do GTA V cars do "automatic braking" like in GTA IV

43 replies to this topic
American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Holding down R2 on the PS3 controller for too long can cause finger pain

Hahahahaha this is the funniest thing I have ever read on these forums! I am actually lost for words, I don't know what to say! I can just imagine you with your brand new copy of GTA V, getting in a vehicle for the first time, accelerating and then collapsing in pain and agony from holding down R2 for tens and tens of seconds.

You should change your username as well, I'm sure a lot of Americans wouldn't want your posts written under that name.

Cheers!

First, I have arthritis and I had a few major flare-ups a few years ago. My hand joints get swollen and achy easily, even though I have avoided full body flare-ups recently. Second, the finger pain results from playing (mostly driving) for many hours on end, as I did with GTA IV, not "tens and tens of seconds." Now I probably won't be playing GTA V for long blocks of time on end but still, the problem remains. 

By the way, thank you for your compliment. I'm not much of a comedian but occasionally I am very funny. 

So it's not even a glaring flaw. Just you having a major problem with your own body's durability.

No, it is a glaring flaw because we should have control of our vehicles in the game and we should be able to decide when we want to accelerate, brake, or coast. If I want to slow down I'll use the brake, The game doesn't need to apply the brakes firmly every time I let off the gas. That's just stupid. 

• Boxman108 likes this

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

we should have control of our vehicles in the game and we should be able to decide when we want to accelerate, brake, or coast. If I want to slow down I'll use the brake,

Could not have said it better myself. This thread is pointless.

Cheers!

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

we should have control of our vehicles in the game and we should be able to decide when we want to accelerate, brake, or coast. If I want to slow down I'll use the brake,

Could not have said it better myself. This thread is pointless.

Cheers!

Then maybe you could explain to me how I am supposed to coast in a car in GTA because the problem is that you cannot coast because Rockstar programmed the cars to rapidly decelerate even though a player who, for whatever reason, would want this to happen could just slam the brakes EVERY SINGLE TIME AFTER RELEASING THE GAS.

• Boxman108 likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Wow, the number of assholes in this thread is amazing.  If you want an "over-the top sandbox" with arcadey driving, go play Saints Row.  GTA deserves more complex car controls.  Being able to have them coast would add a lot to the game, as with many other little things people are too simple minded to even think about.  Everywhere here it's always "Oh that's small don't whine about it it's only a game boohoo".  I guess since it's not supposed to be realistic, let's just get rid of bothering to hide behind cover, too, forget about health because we may as well have our characters be invincible, etc.  I'm sure you people would buy ANYTHING flawed.

• American likes this

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Special controller for driving GTA5

play-station-press-X-to-win-%D1%83%D0%B4

• Officer620 and Boxman108 like this

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

Wow, the number of assholes in this thread is amazing.  If you want an "over-the top sandbox" with arcadey driving, go play Saints Row.  GTA deserves more complex car controls.  Being able to have them coast would add a lot to the game, as with many other little things people are too simple minded to even think about.  Everywhere here it's always "Oh that's small don't whine about it it's only a game boohoo".  I guess since it's not supposed to be realistic, let's just get rid of bothering to hide behind cover, too, forget about health because we may as well have our characters be invincible, etc.  I'm sure you people would buy ANYTHING flawed.

Very well said. I'm not sure why so many people are opposed to fixing this problem or fail to see it as a problem. I can understand some people caring more than others but it is ridiculous that some people think the rapid deceleration is a positive. I have tried to make the case but they don't seem to get it. At least a few people on this forum agree with me.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Having played the game for more than a few hours now, some cars do seem to coast longer than others, but it's very rare and there just isn't enough of it.  It shouldn't take getting into something like a camper going down one of the mountains to go for quite a bit without pressing on the gas.

• American likes this

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Having played the game for more than a few hours now, some cars do seem to coast longer than others, but it's very rare and there just isn't enough of it.  It shouldn't take getting into something like a camper going down one of the mountains to go for quite a bit without pressing on the gas.

Thanks for the intel. I kind of figured as much. For me, this problem significantly detracts from driving in the game, which is half of the game. It's such a shame because it would be so easy to fix and I really don't think that anyone would complain if cars coasted better (for example, no one is going to say "What! How inconvenient that I have to press the brakes when I want to slow down quickly--this is ridiculous!").

Hypertenzion
  • Hypertenzion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

You clearly drive an automatic car, dude.

Get in a manual (or "stick" as murican's call it), and drive around in 4th gear. Its called engine braking, and happens normally.

This! :^:

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Get in a manual (or "stick" as murican's call it), and drive around in 4th gear. Its called engine braking, and happens normally.

Before endorsing this comment, did you read my reply to it? Most importantly are you aware that the cars in GTA are automatics? Even so, manuals do not slow down so rapidly. That kind of deceleration should require significant braking.

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

In the real world, brakes are very important. If vehicles don't have brakes, they may go out of control and hit individuals such as yourself. I would hate for that to happen.

Cheers!

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

The thing is we have two buttons for brakes.  They don't need to be automatic.

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

It's called rolling resistance and wind resistance. Cars do slow down when you take your foot off the gas (even automatics).

Faster you're going, the faster you slow down without throttle. If you want to cruise, hold the throttle partially open.

The amount of decel for no throttle might be off, but who cares, you can adjust it by using the triggers properly.

I'm playing on the X360, don't really like the PS3 triggers, is that the problem for you guys? PS3s?

Hypertenzion
  • Hypertenzion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Before endorsing this comment, did you read my reply to it? Most importantly are you aware that the cars in GTA are automatics? Even so, manuals do not slow down so rapidly. That kind of deceleration should require significant braking.

I agree that the engine-braking is very agressive, but what did you expect? Rockstar f*cked us over with A LOT of things in GTA V, so get used to the disappointments  :/ 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users