Photo

Do GTA V cars do "automatic braking" like in GTA IV

43 replies to this topic
American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

Does anyone know if GTA V cars slow down unrealistically fast when you let off the gas without applying the brake? In GTA IV this was perhaps the biggest handling problem. Whenever you let off the gas the car would come to a stop in a few seconds, as if the brake were being firmly applied. I hope they fixed this glaring issue as it made driving not fun. 

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

"Glaring issue"?

You mean an extremely common game convention intentionally added by developers for the sake of simplicity and convenience, right?

• Fisha695 likes this

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

"Glaring issue"?

You mean an extremely common game convention intentionally added by developers for the sake of simplicity and convenience, right?

What "simplicity and convenience" is brought about by automatic braking. Holding down R2 on the PS3 controller for too long can cause finger pain and because you have to essentially hold R2 down almost all the time while you are driving because of this problem. It makes game play inconvenient and frustrating. I want the car to coast naturally when I let off the gas. If I want the car to slow down quickly I will use the brake.

xIIxFLAMERxIIx
  • xIIxFLAMERxIIx

The Shield Clan

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

They never stopped fast in IV? Are you crazy? I would be going about 40 mph and let off the gas and they would roll for about 2 mins.

• tunaboy and Boxman108 like this

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

They never stopped fast in IV? Are you crazy? I would be going about 40 mph and let off the gas and they would roll for about 2 mins.

Do me a favor and play GTA IV again. Drive a regular car on a straight flat road close to full speed. Let of the gas and use a timer or stopwatch to determine how many seconds pass before the car stops. It will be about 10 seconds. Do the same thing on a mild or moderate decline and the car will stop after about 15-30 seconds. You are simply wrong or my copy of GTA IV is defective.

ripped condom
  • ripped condom

teaching young girls how to go be hoes

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

"Glaring issue"?

What "simplicity and convenience" is brought about by automatic braking. Holding down R2 on the PS3 controller for too long can cause finger pain and because you have to essentially hold R2 down almost all the time while you are driving because of this problem. It makes game play inconvenient and frustrating. I want the car to coast naturally when I let off the gas. If I want the car to slow down quickly I will use the brake.

finger pain? hahahah harden up.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

"Glaring issue"?

finger pain? hahahah harden up.

The point is that it is unreasonable to assert that automatic braking makes it more convenient. Do most GTA players really want their cars to constantly slow down?

Yankee6X
  • Yankee6X

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

You clearly drive an automatic car, dude.

Get in a manual (or "stick" as murican's call it), and drive around in 4th gear. Its called engine braking, and happens normally.

'sides... just lift your finger HALF off the trigger, and you'll be pissed and amazed that you can actually maintain any speed you punch into the controller.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

You clearly drive an automatic car, dude.

Get in a manual (or "stick" as murican's call it), and drive around in 4th gear. Its called engine braking, and happens normally.

'sides... just lift your finger HALF off the trigger, and you'll be pissed and amazed that you can actually maintain any speed you punch into the controller.

I have an automatic but it slows down too quickly (unlike other automatics that coast well) when I let off the gas, thus precluding fuel efficient driving. It annoys me and is stupid for sure. GTA cars are many times worse though. Also GTA cars are automatics, so they ought to behave as such. Cars that coast longer are better to drive.

Yankee6X
  • Yankee6X

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Is this a car simulator? Is it Forza? Gran Turismo?

NOPE.

Its a sandbox exploration game.

You simply cannot have your cake, have it appear miraculous, be able to steal it, upgrade it, drive it, sell it, store it, and have it handle like the real thing AND eat it too.

Don't like it - don't buy it. Save yourself $60. Or be nice, donate your copy to charity. I'm sure a charity organisation would be happy to sell it off in exchange for funds to help the needy.

• Hugef1 likes this

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Is this a car simulator? Is it Forza? Gran Turismo?

NOPE.

Its a sandbox exploration game.

You simply cannot have your cake, have it appear miraculous, be able to steal it, upgrade it, drive it, sell it, store it, and have it handle like the real thing AND eat it too.

Don't like it - don't buy it. Save yourself $60. Or be nice, donate your copy to charity. I'm sure a charity organisation would be happy to sell it off in exchange for funds to help the needy.

So it would take more work or more resources not to have the automatic braking? No, it wouldn't. I'm not asking for perfectly realistic handling. But I don't think the game should essentially automatically apply a car's brakes when you let off the gas. That's just stupid and annoying and I'm not sure why this is even controversial. 

• Boxman108 likes this

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

You're fighting a lost cause, American. If you can even call it a 'cause'. Not sure I would. You are just making people very angry.

Cheers!

TenEightyOne
  • TenEightyOne

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Do me a favor and play GTA IV again. Drive a regular car on a straight flat road close to full speed. Let of the gas and use a timer or stopwatch to determine how many seconds pass before the car stops. It will be about 10 seconds. Do the same thing on a mild or moderate decline and the car will stop after about 15-30 seconds. You are simply wrong or my copy of GTA IV is defective.

Do you have Forza or something? Watch a replay and check there's no trail on the triggers, I've NEVER noticed this in GTAIV.

In a real car you'd expect it to stop pretty quickly as the car DOES brake when you completely release the throttle. It's called Engine Braking. Old people can't do it because they drive "automatic" cars but anyone with a normal car does :D

Marwin
  • Marwin

I want a name when I lose.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

This happens in real life, it's called engine braking

CaptainCapri
  • CaptainCapri

Cluckin Hell!

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Don't let off the gas then?!? Or ease off...

Pointless.

Finger pain.. stfu.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:34 PM Edited by American, 15 September 2013 - 03:36 PM.

This happens in real life, it's called engine braking

Oh, see I was unaware that an automatic car accelerated to near top speed comes to a complete stop on a slight decline in FIFTEEN SECONDS upon releasing the accelerator. Look, in order to get a real life automatic (or even manual without grinding the life out of gears...and even then) to stop as quickly as GTA cars do, you would have to very firmly apply the brakes.

I hope Rockstar fixed this problem in GTA V and I don't know why so many other people here don't see a problem with it. People are complaining about the cartoonish steering, so why not complain about the cartoonish deceleration. Would anyone really be upset if GTA cars didn't automatically firmly apply the brakes when you let off the gas: "This is so stupid! In order to quickly slow down I have to press the brake." Please can someone explain this to me?

• Boxman108 likes this

Yankee6X
  • Yankee6X

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

"Problem"

There is no f*cking problem but the fact you're asking GTA V to be something its not. Its not a realistic game. Its an over-the-top, play-as-a-criminal, f*ck about for fun game. A bloody game. I'd consider taking my car back to the dealership if this happened in real life - but then again that cost me $35,000. A game that sets you back $60, and you're sh*tting yourself over a slight niggle which, lets face it, you won't really deal with because WHO DRIVES AROUND IN GTA WITHOUT THE ACCELERATOR?!

This isn't a problem. This is a unique trait to the game which encourages you to do exactly what you're supposed to. Play the f*cking game.

Go cancel your pre-order, man. Don't bitch about something that you've not even played.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

"Problem"

There is no f*cking problem but the fact you're asking GTA V to be something its not. Its not a realistic game. Its an over-the-top, play-as-a-criminal, f*ck about for fun game. A bloody game. I'd consider taking my car back to the dealership if this happened in real life - but then again that cost me $35,000. A game that sets you back $60, and you're sh*tting yourself over a slight niggle which, lets face it, you won't really deal with because WHO DRIVES AROUND IN GTA WITHOUT THE ACCELERATOR?!

This isn't a problem. This is a unique trait to the game which encourages you to do exactly what you're supposed to. Play the f*cking game.

Go cancel your pre-order, man. Don't bitch about something that you've not even played.

This makes no sense. The rapid deceleration makes driving unnecessarily burdensome and annoying. When the cops are chasing me and I let off the gas for a five seconds, I should only lose a little bit of speed, not most of it. This is a huge problem that is easily fixed and it is weird that so many people are being so hostile toward me.

• Boxman108 likes this

JordantheJew13
  • JordantheJew13

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

"Glaring issue"?

So buy an xbox. 

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL CARES?

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

Holding down R2 on the PS3 controller for too long can cause finger pain

Hahahahaha this is the funniest thing I have ever read on these forums! I am actually lost for words, I don't know what to say! I can just imagine you with your brand new copy of GTA V, getting in a vehicle for the first time, accelerating and then collapsing in pain and agony from holding down R2 for tens and tens of seconds.

You should change your username as well, I'm sure a lot of Americans wouldn't want your posts written under that name.

Cheers!

• chitoryu12, iZN6 and Lokey87 like this

DEERxBanshee
  • DEERxBanshee

Badder den dem

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

use classic controls so you can use your thumb to accelerate

AlmightyLoso
  • AlmightyLoso

Free Max B

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

"Glaring issue" Lmao. Come on now. Stop it.

JordantheJew13
  • JordantheJew13

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hahahahaha this is the funniest thing I have ever read on these forums! I am actually lost for words, I don't know what to say! I can just imagine you with your brand new copy of GTA V, getting in a vehicle for the first time, accelerating and then collapsing in pain and agony from holding down R2 for tens and tens of seconds.

You should change your username as well, I'm sure a lot of Americans wouldn't want your posts written under that name.

Cheers!

THIS  :^:  :cookie:

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

When the cops are chasing me and I let off the gas for a five seconds, I should only lose a little bit of speed, not most of it. This is a huge problem that is easily fixed and it is weird that so many people are being so hostile toward me.

Why in the world would you let off the gas if the cops are chasing you?!

And this is not a "problem." Just because YOU don't like it does not make it some kind of problem with the game. It is specifically designed to be this way, just like every other open-world game. How about when players are stopped at a red light? What are we supposed to do? If we hold onto the brake, the car will go into reverse! The only way to avoid this would be to make a separate button to go in reverse and that is simply not plausible and would just complicate things. This is not a driving simulator. This is not real life. It's an open-world crime game.

American
  • American

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 AM Edited by American, 16 September 2013 - 03:28 AM.

Cheers!

First, I have arthritis and I had a few major flare-ups a few years ago. My hand joints get swollen and achy easily, even though I have avoided full body flare-ups recently. Second, the finger pain results from playing (mostly driving) for many hours on end, as I did with GTA IV, not "tens and tens of seconds." Now I probably won't be playing GTA V for long blocks of time on end but still, the problem remains. 

By the way, thank you for your compliment. I'm not much of a comedian but occasionally I am very funny. 

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

:monocle: TROLL

DocPip
  • DocPip

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

"Glaring issue"?

You mean like you have to hold your foot on the accelerator pedal in a car to drive it? Hmmm.
  • Officer620 likes this

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Cheers!

First, I have arthritis and I had a few major flare-ups a few years ago. My hand joints get swollen and achy easily, even though I have avoided full body flare-ups recently. Second, the finger pain results from playing (mostly driving) for many hours on end, as I did with GTA IV, not "tens and tens of seconds." Now I probably won't be playing GTA V for long blocks of time on end but still, the problem remains. 

By the way, thank you for your compliment. I'm not much of a comedian but occasionally I am very funny. 

So it's not even a glaring flaw. Just you having a major problem with your own body's durability.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

When the cops are chasing me and I let off the gas for a five seconds, I should only lose a little bit of speed, not most of it. This is a huge problem that is easily fixed and it is weird that so many people are being so hostile toward me.

Why in the world would you let off the gas if the cops are chasing you?!

And this is not a "problem." Just because YOU don't like it does not make it some kind of problem with the game. It is specifically designed to be this way, just like every other open-world game. How about when players are stopped at a red light? What are we supposed to do? If we hold onto the brake, the car will go into reverse! The only way to avoid this would be to make a separate button to go in reverse and that is simply not plausible and would just complicate things. This is not a driving simulator. This is not real life. It's an open-world crime game.

Some other games make it that you have to tap the brake button again when you've stopped to reverse, that seems pretty reasonable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users