[IMG|VID] Distant edge flickering

9 replies to this topic
Kilen9999
  • Kilen9999

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Do anyone know why this happen? Distant edges flicker when i move the camera, it's REALLY annoying in the length.

If there are other topics about this issue, you moderators can delete this one. I didn't find one, thats why i'm starting my own. 

Video

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:11 AM Edited by uNi, 15 September 2013 - 03:17 AM.

Seems normal to me, BUT:

How does your Video Graphics Card compare to:

Minimum: 64MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers ("GeForce3" or better)

Recommended: 128(+) MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers ("GeForce4" or better)

Are you playing with the DVD in the Drive?

If you modded the game, remove them or seek help in the Modding Forums.

Kilen9999
  • Kilen9999

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

My PC(like most PC's) beats the system requirements for GTA SA.

The only "mods" i'm using is a Stream.ini tweak and the WIdescreen Resolution fix

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:59 AM Edited by j7n, 15 September 2013 - 06:36 AM.

I downloaded the "720p" video, but it was upscaled from a really low resolution, plus the video capture was "bobbing" up and down itself, as seen on the opening title, which adds to the flicker.

If you are not actually playing at the native resolution of your screen, as this video would suggest, increase the resolution. Also activate normal antialiasing in your video card's control panel. I was unsuccessful trying to anti-alias transparent textures in this game. Fences and highway signs will remain flickering anyway, but not walls.

Some distant road surfaces, but not their edges, in Los Santos will shimmer because they lack low resolution mipmaps. Activate high anisotropic filtering to minimize the differences between shimmering and blurred sections of roads.

Kilen9999
  • Kilen9999

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:32 AM Edited by KiLeN9999, 15 September 2013 - 10:32 AM.

I played around in my VideoCard's AntiAliasing settings, and found out i maxed all settings i go from OVER 60fps to around 30fps. It looked better but i'm gonna play some more with these settings, thanks for the tip J7N :p

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Rockstar says that 30 FPS is the normal for this game.

Kilen9999
  • Kilen9999

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

well, i find 60fps more playable (but that's my taste, you have the rights to your own :p)

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:24 PM Edited by j7n, 15 September 2013 - 07:31 PM.

50 or 60 fps has been around since the dawn of television and was absolutely necessary to transmit smooth motion in close up, fast sports action and scrolling text, to give a few examples. I find it puzzling that would game developers would try to convince otherwise. Perhaps they have only watched ripped videos themselves. My SA is locked at 25 fps even.

A couple months ago I found this thread where mip-mapping was discussed, and a mod to add complete mipmaps proposed. But no work on such mod was announced. This would eliminate flicker on distant textures, especially on roads.

Here a road is seen with filtered textures that are downsampled as distance increases until the two lines cannot be resolved. But in the area that you demonstrated, the road is not mip-mapped, and the two lines go on forever, and during motion showing on some frames but not on others. Detail is good up until where the red car is, and then alias badly. I think some kind of a mod would be needed to remove this problem.

If you can increase the resolution, then the distance at which aliasing occurs moves further away. But if you can reach framerates of 75 or above (above would need a crt screen), the shimmering gets partly cancelled out in the eye, which is sweet.

If you also see flicker on a static car, as was (perhaps in error) captured on the video, regular anti-aliasing would fix that. SA cars are quite detailed, wit many fine lines. I find that AA greatly improves picture quality. But overhead wires, trees, fences cannot be processed by it.

There is some interlacing/deinterlacing taking place in your video chain, which is the only reason I could name why the picture is jumping up and down, and fine detail flickering. Why would that be on a PC?
  • OG Viking likes this

Kilen9999
  • Kilen9999

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

This mod adds MipMaps to most of the textures, when this is finished could it be a solution?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

I find it puzzling that would game developers would try to convince otherwise. Perhaps they have only watched ripped videos themselves. My SA is locked at 25 fps even.

Remember, that this game (along with VC and III) are ported to PC from the PS2, and if i'm not mistaken 25 fps is what the console versions are? 

Also, remember that when this game first came out, PC's had way lower specs than they do now a days-for example, I got my first PC (a desktop) in 2005 (which is the same year SA came out for PC), and it had an AMD Sempron Single core processor, 256MB Ram, and a SIS/VIA Video card with 64-MB vram and XP Home SP1...and my first laptop-also in 2005, had an AMD Sempron Single core processor, 256MB Ram, and an SIS Video card with 32-mb vram and XP Home edition. Now a days PC's have either Dual core OR Quad Core processors, 2GB+ Ram, and decent video cards (Even an Intel card will beat the old SIS/VIA ones-lol). So, this is why the game's fps is capped lower with Frame Limiter ON..?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users