GTA V car handling, physics, damage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic
roadrash3000
  • roadrash3000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

im 11 year old and i know  that it's possible to take corners in 180 mph!!!!!! without any problems at all !!!!!!   I played a lot of Crazy Taxi and i know  it's possible...... so i think that GTA5 is realistic

You should NOT play GTA V... You can't differentiate reality from fantasy.

• lastmanonearth likes this

exe_order_66
  • exe_order_66

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm like 3 hours in... the game is beautiful!!! graphics, sound wise... i'm getting the hang of the cars... they are very responsive!!! especially the elegy and the buffalo... the mustang is nice too...

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

The physics are monkish for 12 year olds. GTAIV's car  handling  is way better than this and they have taken the dab of realism (I understand its not a  realistic  game) but the single dab that was in that drew the line between fen car  handling  and making this ridge racer is now gone.

Here is hopes GTAV for PC will be a better port or have open tools that allow users to tweak it since the game is nice but the driving and lack of morphing damage the car is gone. 

Sadly; this game has let me down alot with the damage.

Matt21
  • Matt21

Gimme your wallet

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:40 PM Edited by Matt21, 17 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

I like the game a lot so far but two things are bugging me :

- The poor driving. I was hoping that everything people were saying about it wasn't true but unfortunately it is :( The driving is like Saints Row style driving.

- Aliasing problems. These are kind of expected now though for consoles but I wasn't expecting them to be THIS poor

DrGreenThumb_NZ
  • DrGreenThumb_NZ

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

- The poor driving. I was hoping that everything people were saying about it wasn't true but unfortunately it is :( The driving is like Saints Row style driving.

This

You have to be a complete retard to think V has better car physics then IV... Its a massive step backwards

GTA online better make up for it

Kihood
  • Kihood

Making GTA History

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Been on this forum for a long time i coundnt even bother to reply. am better than this but, I am disappointed with the physics. Before i got the game i watched leaked game play videos and i was very shocked by the arcady driving.  Although when i experienced it first hand it felt very responsive. it just didnt feel right with the quick turning man why did rockstar do this man, seems like theres always a flaw no matter how good something is

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

ROCKSTAR PLEASEPATCH US BETTER DAMAGE AND BETTER DRIVING!

somebody should do a petition or something...

• jagcivtec likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

ROCKSTAR PLEASEPATCH US BETTER DAMAGE AND BETTER DRIVING!

somebody should do a petition or something...

Would get less votes than the anti-PC petition.

ds5384
  • ds5384

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Fact; I haven't read many of the previous posts in this thread but I would like to weigh in anyway.

The physics and damage modeling are childrens trash and denying it is despicable and pathetic. Part of the challenge of the driving missions was failing them for wrecking the car. Now you can easily avoid a crash because the car doesnt pitch or roll and you can stop and turn on a dime. This is basically Need for Speed: Guns. Most of the replay-ability of the game was due to the driving component after all of the missions were completed. If the idea was to make the game easier for all ages and skill levels it totally missed the point of "games" You shouldn't be able to pass every mission the first time, with the "improved physics" there is no longer a challenge. In the first chase mission I fell way behind the target because i was trying to do a burn out to spin the car the other direction. Instead of reversing I was doing something that should have cost me the mission and yet I wasn't even punished for it, I was able to easily catch the target because there is no longer any risk of crashing or interference by traffic.

Almost every aspect of the game is improved to the nth degree and the story and voice acting is superb. But i never cared about that, once the story was over I wanted to rear end cop cars sitting at stop lights at top speed. Now my joy is over, they neglected their core, gtAUTO. Dear Rockstar, Please bring back realistic car physics and damage, or at least create a toggle to return to a time when the game was not nanny'd up with driving aids.

PS - my outrage was spilling over into youtube when I discovered that there may be a cheat called "slidey cars" that does the very thing I want. But I couldn't get confirmation. Also its a cheat, so it presumably invalidates ranking.

• jagcivtec likes this

Angelus031
  • Angelus031

I like turtles

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:08 PM Edited by Angelus031, 17 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

100% agree, OP. If gta4 never existed, there wouldn't even be complaints. I happen to like the car physics/handling in gta5, they've IMPROVED it. People will bitch about anything tho, it's pretty sad actually.

LOL GTA San Andreas has better car damage physics, than current one and GTAIV put together! When you catually got hit by large truck in SA, it actually make your car look all wrecked you know...so its not just like step back from previous title, its what they ignore to look into since GTAIV...

And you worked at Rockstar North for 5 years to know that they ignored what ever mechanisms they implemented in GTA IV?

WTF that got to do with anything? LOL I have my own eyes and my own hands and i experienced it myself, so why should i listen to what R* thinks?...yes its their product! They might wish to make however they want, but so do i might wish to buy it or not...so its kind of a draw between customer and developer...

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You have eyes and hands, but do you have a brain? That you're willing to use?

And how much do you know about conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions my good sir?
Do you think such models can be mentally made?

BaldadigeAnton
  • BaldadigeAnton

Scientia potentia est

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:09 PM Edited by BaldadigeAnton, 17 September 2013 - 04:33 PM.

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You have eyes and hands, but do you have a brain? That you're willing to use?

Hi Proletariat,

You seem a non-critical-close-minded-fanboy. Now, you generalise (which is a characteristic of a teen as well as an ignorant person) all the critics on the driving physics and damage system with the critics on the GTA IV driving physics which is not very wise. You should lessen that behaviour a bit.

First of all, the critics of GTA IV have got what they wanted: more the kind of arcade driving physics. The people who did not want the IV driving physics are not the critics of the V driving physics  we have now. Because the IV driving physics were a little more realistic than the V driving physics. Of course the IV driving physics are not as realistic as real life, but they get close and keep it fun at the same time. I can understand people calling it "boaty", which I agree on concerning the suspension. That was too loose. But the rest was well, great, and aware drivers could control and master the driving.

Now. I don't particularly hate the driving in V, but it has become more arcady in the sense that even inexpensive cars are really responsive. In IV speeding with a less expensive car was really intense as a small destabilizing impulse could f*ck with your momentum, as in real life. I suggest you should watch some videos on Liveleak of dashcam car crashes. In many cases you see that when someone has to evade a car, while travelling at about 40 [m/s] it goes wrong (even with some expensive cars). They lose control because of the sudden destabilizing "input" which f*cks with their momentum. The driver loses control, spins and, or not, dies in a head on.

For a driver it is actually pretty hard to stabilize a car when it has been destabilized, but by doing this with systems controlling it can be done by computer assist. If I can find an exact video of how individual tires correct themselves, I will post the link. You can also search it for yourself under Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Stability Control, ESC, ESP (there are a lot of different names but essentially it comes down on the same), which is something of the same idea. However, this is for more expensive cars, mostly BMW types etc. (at least, it's a BMW in the Delft lab here for systems and control). Maybe the responsiveness could be tuned down a little bit to make it more realistic, at least for the cheaper cars, because I get the feeling I am driving in (futuristic, 2013-2020) cars with expensive computer assisting equipment.

As for the programmers, I assume they can program great and know a lot about physics. It is extremely hard to transfer our "laws" into a simulation, as in a game. They succeed pretty well, but the balance lies somewhere in between GTA IV and GTA V driving physics. The more expensive cars should handle more responsive (and Franklin should control cars even more responsive than the other characters) but I feel that it is overdone in GTA V in its current state.

Oh and concerning the damage system, that is just crap. I know people don't want their cars be totalled in a single crash because that would suck for the gameplay and can get really annoying. However, where has the great damage system of GTA IV gone to? They could have kept the VISUAL DAMAGE in V, but made it so that it takes much longer for the car to get on fire.

...h dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You hav...

This I find particularly annoying, because I tried multiple times to destroy the crumple zone of a car. At top speed hitting a concrete wall should give more damage than just a loose bumper, I hope you concur with me here. And I think that is the thing which bothers the critics the most. The fact that the damage system is inadequate.

Of course, I personally would like to see that when I crash the car at 100 mph in a concrete barrier there is nothing left of the car and the driver, but well. Most gamers won't agree with that, so it is fine by me if the VISUAL damage of IV comes back (with extended HP for cars)

example link for this "responsive" technique:

Keeping this in mind, the cars are not THAT arcade-esque, just a little bit "too much".

• ds5384 likes this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi Proletariat,

You seem a non-critical-close-minded-fanboy. Now, you generalise (which is a characteristic of a teen as well as an ignorant person) all the critics on the driving physics and damage system with the critics on the GTA IV driving physics which is not very wise. You should lessen that behaviour a bit.

First of all, the critics of GTA IV have got what they wanted: more the kind of arcade driving physics. The people who did not want the IV driving physics are not the critics of the V driving physics  we have now. Because the IV driving physics were a little more realistic than the V driving physics. Of course the IV driving physics are not as realistic as real life, but they get close and keep it fun at the same time. I can understand people calling it "boaty", which I agree on concerning the suspension. That was too loose. But the rest was well, great, and aware drivers could control and master the driving.

Now. I don't particularly hate the driving in V, but it has become more arcady in the sense that even inexpensive cars are really responsive. In IV speeding with a less expensive car was really intense as a small destabilizing impulse could f*ck with your momentum, as in real life. I suggest you should watch some videos on Liveleak of dashcam car crashes. In many cases you see that when someone has to evade a car, while travelling at about 40 [m/s] it goes wrong (even with some expensive cars). They lose control because of the sudden destabilizing "input" which f*cks with their momentum. The driver loses control, spins and, or not, dies in a head on.

For a driver it is actually pretty hard to stabilize a car when it has been destabilized, but by doing this with systems controlling it can be done by computer assist. If I can find an exact video of how individual tires correct themselves, I will post the link. You can also search it for yourself under Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Stability Control, ESC, ESP (there are a lot of different names but essentially it comes down on the same), which is something of the same idea. However, this is for more expensive cars, mostly BMW types etc. (at least, it's a BMW in the Delft lab here for systems and control). Maybe the responsiveness could be tuned down a little bit to make it more realistic, at least for the cheaper cars, because I get the feeling I am driving in (futuristic, 2013-2020) cars with expensive computer assisting equipment.

As for the programmers, I assume they can program great and know a lot about physics. It is extremely hard to transfer our "laws" into a simulation, as in a game. They succeed pretty well, but the balance lies somewhere in between GTA IV and GTA V driving physics. The more expensive cars should handle more responsive (and Franklin should control cars even more responsive than the other characters) but I feel that it is overdone in GTA V in its current state.

Oh and concerning the damage system, that is just crap. I know people don't want their cars be totalled in a single crash because that would suck for the gameplay and can get really annoying. However, where has the great damage system of GTA IV gone to? They could have kept the VISUAL DAMAGE in V, but made it so that it takes much longer for the car to get on fire.

...h dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You hav...

This I find particularly annoying, because I tried multiple times to destroy the crumple zone of a car. At top speed hitting a concrete wall should give more damage than just a loose bumper, I hope you concur with me here. And I think that is the thing which bothers the critics the most. The fact that the damage system is inadequate.

Of course, I personally would like to see that when I crash the car at 100 mph in a concrete barrier there is nothing left of the car and the driver, but well. Most gamers won't agree with that, so it is fine by me if the VISUAL damage of IV comes back (with extended HP for cars)

example link for this "responsive" technique:

Keeping this in mind, the cars are not THAT arcade-esque, just a little bit "too much".

Enjoyed reading your post mate. I got my GTA V, but have yet to play it. I will test the damages and handling myself and see how they fit with our expectations. I agree with most of your post and I do agree that the damage visualizations have been greatly reduced. 

ObscureSerenity
  • ObscureSerenity

Hand Me That Piano

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Change is always going to leaev a sour taste in the mouth of most...

I understand things are different, but really, we just have to get used to it.

I feel the physics mostly altered are the 'tracking' of the tyres on the road. Cars seem to pull in a lot at high speed, so you are able to quickly swerve and then be back in a straight line easily... hence the "arcade" feel.

A slide bar for changing the grip factor could be interesting, however I doubt it could be implemented in a game like this, and body roll would play a big factor in this change too.

I think if there was more of a difference between masses and their effects on each other it might give better satisfaction in crashes/damage. Aka, I parked my truck and several cars on the railway track, and they all just kinda got brushed aside... I was disappointed that nothing got thrown down the tracks, or any large dents/twisted metal resulted. In saying this, I've only done it once, will be trying it a lot more. :lol:  ...couldn't seem to be able to steal the tram (electic red one), so couldn't do test with that.

I do find that some crash physics are more realistic, in that cars can get stuck on each other, and slow down a bit more... wheels are constantly being mashed into the arch and smoking up until bursting.

That's my blahblah...

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

The car damage is such a letdown.

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

im so sad about handling&damage

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

What jerk man, standing for R*, i only stand for myself and myself says these vehicle mechanics are for the mentally challenged who can't play a game with some challenge, pathetic.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

+1 for hating driving and damage. The bikes and helis suck the most but cars feel like RC's. Huge let down after how fun IV's driving was.

DareSD
  • DareSD

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:28 PM Edited by DareSD, 19 April 2015 - 08:39 AM.

Many people who have seen the leaks have already deemed GTA V to be a "horrible game" due to car handling, physics, damage. THey have not played the game themselves and are probably just jealous of those that have. THese are the same people that complained about the same mechanics in GTA IV, but now they would prefer GTA IV over V. One f*cker even started a petition for Rockstar demanding a day one patch to resolve the issue. So I am only going to say this once and only once. Please stop the bullsh*t about car handling and damage physics. You are not qualified to make those judgements unless you are 

A. Rockstar North

B. Professional Game Developer

C. Professional Game Critic (who has background in Computer Science, Software Design, and Game Physics)

D. YOU have personally played the game for at least 2 weeks

What Omnifarious had to say about driving. I'll take his word. He explains things rationally, unlike some of you ungrateful f*cks.

"First off, don't worry, the driving isn't like MC:LA, the closest to "arcade" feeling you'll get, is while driving a tuned up super car as Franklin. The driving is similar to IV, but feels tighter, and more responsive. "Less boaty" would be how I would describe it. Driving differs between the three Protagonists as well.

As Franklin, it's easier to maneuver in a vehicle. Vehicles feel more responsive, turn harder, and overall just feel smoother to control. Drifting, J-turns, barrel rolls, etc, are all easier as Franklin. What do I mean? Say you take a 45° turn at 40 mph as Michael in a small car, you would end up hitting the wall if you didn't slow way down and hand break hard through the turn, as Franklin, you don't have to compensate as much, merely turning and lightly applying the breaks will see you drifting through that corner with ease without having to slow down as much.

So far, the driving's been a lot of fun, less spinning wildly out of control, and more getting to where you want to go. Those of you who want to do some awesome "Fast and the Furious" machinima will appreciate the "super cars." They differ from normal cars, they can turn on a dime, accelerate to top speed in a mater of moments, and drift through 90° turns like something out of a movie. They're truly in a class all their own. Don't worry, if you're a fan of GTA IV driving, the normal vehicles in the game handle roughly the same, just slightly tighter. The big trucks still feel heavy and tipsy at high speeds, and the small cars are light and nimble at low speeds. (Like the Honda civic esque car from IV)"

Im PC gamer, and i prefer to use keyboard and mouse when playing games. GTA V for PC have such bad steering/handling that it hurts. I KNOW THAT ITS JUST NOT MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH KEYBOARD! BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT I WONT USE ANYTHING EXEPT KEYBOARD AND MOUSE TO PLAY THAT GAME. I USE PC! NOT A CONSOLE! DEVELOPERS SHOULD KNOW THAT!

I wont compare car steering/handling in GTA V with its predecessor, it rather reminds me of Saints Row 3 car steering/handling. And thats why im p*ssed off even more! GTA is franchise, has some weight in its name. Rock* need to be better with each new title they make. They are here because of us, and not vice-versa. They should respect us more, cause we buy that s*it they made. Driving in such game is essential and there is no room for compromise. It should be improved in compare with last installment. Thats my point. But they made one step backwards.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:00 AM

thanks for finally addressing that Christmas tree of a post

• Doland J. Trump likes this

tm123t
  • tm123t

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

People still don't seem to understand that they avoided high damage car models on purpose. On consoles its because of the performance hit. Believe what you want, this 'dynamic' system for destruction of vehicles is not easy to optimize. As for for it's overall effect, it would break game mechanics and not make it fun to drive around. Would you want your characters body to be floating through the car? Would you like to have to get a car every 2 minutes because it's so damaged from just dipping down a corner? That's why they also avoided it on PC. High speed chases would be useless and not fun because of the fear of crashing into a small rock and dying. It would force you to behave appropriately in a reckless driving game.

As for vehicle handling, it is completely realistic in some terms, but in others it isn't, and that's because you nitwits don't realize this is a GAME and physics aren't possible to replicate 100% without ruining the games mechanics, performance and overall fun. What happened is they used the basic core from their Midnight Club game engine for driving. So all cars you're driving are basically already optimized for racing, no matter what it is. Handlings are supposed to be stiff to give a great driving satisfaction and not make you feel like you're driving a sad trampoline in a backyard (see: GTA IV). The problem is they made it too stiff on vehicles that aren't supposed to be like that. I mean when driving a pickup truck I feel like I'm in a slow ass sports car. As for GTA IV it was too loose. They still have yet to balance it out. GTA IV was just as unrealistic as GTA V is, even more. See the OG complains about ABS braking around every tiny corner and sh*t + the suspensions dipping so low every time you went around a corner or up a tiny hill your car would scratch the ground more than a lotto addict scratching tickets with a coin.

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:56 AM

People still don't seem to understand that they avoided high damage car models on purpose. On consoles its because of the performance hit. Believe what you want, this 'dynamic' system for destruction of vehicles is not easy to optimize. As for for it's overall effect, it would break game mechanics and not make it fun to drive around. Would you want your characters body to be floating through the car? Would you like to have to get a car every 2 minutes because it's so damaged from just dipping down a corner? That's why they also avoided it on PC. High speed chases would be useless and not fun because of the fear of crashing into a small rock and dying. It would force you to behave appropriately in a reckless driving game.

The thing is, when playing GTA IV, I never had to get a new car every 2 minutes. Sure, the car got damaged, but the thing is, it was driveable. Any crash that would lead to your car being destroyed in IV would just result in either your wheels locking or your car exploding in V, so you will still need to find another car with the current physics. 

DareSD
  • DareSD

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:38 AM Edited by DareSD, 19 April 2015 - 11:40 AM.

I never mentioned physics, not once. I have no complaints about physics.

And drivers AI. OMG! I bet that there is at least 50 mobile games that have better AI  than Rock*. Game just looks like a AAA title, but it feels like a 2003/4 release. This can be fixed in no time, but that person just dont know about us. Or dont want to know. But today EVERYTHING goes to S*IT! Today all that matters is the money.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:34 PM Edited by Andreas, 19 April 2015 - 12:35 PM.

Well, this thread was created before the original release of GTAV, so most of the discussion is outdated because there have been dozens of patches since, as well as the next-gen and PC release.

If you want to discuss the handling, you can do so in The Driving Debate and Disapponted with driving. Refer to the following thread for discussions on the car damage: http://gtaforums.com...-system-is-sht/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users