» «
Photo

GTA V car handling, physics, damage

106 replies to this topic
Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:43 AM Edited by Proletariat, 15 September 2013 - 05:10 AM.

Many people who have seen the leaks have already deemed GTA V to be a "horrible game" due to car handling, physics, damage. THey have not played the game themselves and are probably just jealous of those that have. THese are the same people that complained about the same mechanics in GTA IV, but now they would prefer GTA IV over V. One f*cker even started a petition for Rockstar demanding a day one patch to resolve the issue. So I am only going to say this once and only once. Please stop the bullsh*t about car handling and damage physics. You are not qualified to make those judgements unless you are 

A. Rockstar North

B. Professional Game Developer

C. Professional Game Critic (who has background in Computer Science, Software Design, and Game Physics)

D. YOU have personally played the game for at least 2 weeks

What Omnifarious had to say about driving. I'll take his word. He explains things rationally, unlike some of you ungrateful f*cks.

"First off, don't worry, the driving isn't like MC:LA, the closest to "arcade" feeling you'll get, is while driving a tuned up super car as Franklin. The driving is similar to IV, but feels tighter, and more responsive. "Less boaty" would be how I would describe it. Driving differs between the three Protagonists as well.

As Franklin, it's easier to maneuver in a vehicle. Vehicles feel more responsive, turn harder, and overall just feel smoother to control. Drifting, J-turns, barrel rolls, etc, are all easier as Franklin. What do I mean? Say you take a 45° turn at 40 mph as Michael in a small car, you would end up hitting the wall if you didn't slow way down and hand break hard through the turn, as Franklin, you don't have to compensate as much, merely turning and lightly applying the breaks will see you drifting through that corner with ease without having to slow down as much.

So far, the driving's been a lot of fun, less spinning wildly out of control, and more getting to where you want to go. Those of you who want to do some awesome "Fast and the Furious" machinima will appreciate the "super cars." They differ from normal cars, they can turn on a dime, accelerate to top speed in a mater of moments, and drift through 90° turns like something out of a movie. They're truly in a class all their own. Don't worry, if you're a fan of GTA IV driving, the normal vehicles in the game handle roughly the same, just slightly tighter. The big trucks still feel heavy and tipsy at high speeds, and the small cars are light and nimble at low speeds. (Like the Honda civic esque car from IV)"

• Exitiumx, lxr and Dbeast247 like this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Please discuss. I know we all have opinions. But the game isn't even released yet, yet we're making final judgements. I want to discuss and engage in healthy debate.

DryBomber5
  • DryBomber5

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

100% agree, OP. If gta4 never existed, there wouldn't even be complaints. I happen to like the car physics/handling in gta5, they've IMPROVED it. People will bitch about anything tho, it's pretty sad actually.
  • the_warbsta likes this

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:57 AM Edited by Vorpax, 14 September 2013 - 04:57 AM.

100% agree, OP. If gta4 never existed, there wouldn't even be complaints. I happen to like the car physics/handling in gta5, they've IMPROVED it. People will bitch about anything tho, it's pretty sad actually.

LOL GTA San Andreas has better car damage physics, than current one and GTAIV put together! When you catually got hit by large truck in SA, it actually make your car look all wrecked you know...so its not just like step back from previous title, its what they ignore to look into since GTAIV...

idesmond
  • idesmond

GSF 4 Life!

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Watching some guy crash into cars and they are damaging pretty good. Don't understand the b*tching!

exe_order_66
  • exe_order_66

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Me neither. it's like your given 100,000 but complaining that the cash is wrapped in rubber bands instead of the fancy little tape with the denominations the banks use. GTFO and get over it!

• Proletariat likes this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

LOL GTA San Andreas has better car damage physics, than current one and GTAIV put together! When you catually got hit by large truck in SA, it actually make your car look all wrecked you know...so its not just like step back from previous title, its what they ignore to look into since GTAIV...

And you worked at Rockstar North for 5 years to know that they ignored what ever mechanisms they implemented in GTA IV?

snacker111
  • snacker111

GTA

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

i saw tons of vids of cars crashing but nothing happened to the cars except a scratch. f*ck you cockstar

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:06 AM Edited by Vorpax, 14 September 2013 - 05:06 AM.

And you worked at Rockstar North for 5 years to know that they ignored what ever mechanisms they implemented in GTA IV?

WTF that got to do with anything? LOL I have my own eyes and my own hands and i experienced it myself, so why should i listen to what R* thinks?...yes its their product! They might wish to make however they want, but so do i might wish to buy it or not...so its kind of a draw between customer and developer...

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:11 AM Edited by Proletariat, 14 September 2013 - 05:12 AM.

WTF that got to do with anything? LOL I have my own eyes and my own hands and i experienced it myself, so why should i listen to what R* thinks?...yes its their product! They might wish to make however they want, but so do i might wish to buy it or not...so its kind of a draw between customer and developer...

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You have eyes and hands, but do you have a brain? That you're willing to use?

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. 

So expecting your car turning into complete wreckage after it gets hit by a large truck at high speed is not a common sense, now? ...oh gosh...i must be living in some kind of parallel world then...

• atthegates likes this

Malndor
  • Malndor

!?

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:15 AM Edited by Malndor, 14 September 2013 - 05:29 AM.

Agree with this.

I've said this before an I'll say it again. GTA V is R* going back to it's roots and rightly so to. It looks good, it's fine. Car handling is how it should be for a GTA game (This isn't Gran Turismo). GTA 4 was a shot in the dark of an ultra realistic setting, it failed. GTA V is everything a GTA needs to be an it's done well. There will be some quirks but overall the game is good. WASTED sign is great, quick spawn to hospital is awesome. 

So just ignore the people whining, they are either.

#1 Dumbf*cks

#2 Weren't born before GTA even started

#3 Hanging off the hype wagon

#4 Off the wagon

#5 Kids who buy anything shiny, whine an bitch an moan when mommy doesn't give them their own way, so troll on the internet hoping for some response to make themselves feel good about themselves. Cause they have very little stability or control of their own life due to being an adolescent f*cktart not even old enough to play GTA V but whine about it anyway even though their opinion is mute.

#6 Ungrateful spoiled retards thinking that R* gonna listen to their bitching cause "It works on their parents" right kids? f*ck off  :sigh:

• DryBomber5 likes this

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Agree with this.

I've said this before an I'll say it again. GTA V is R* going back to it's roots and rightly so to. It looks good, it's fine. Car handling is how it should be for a GTA game (This isn't Gran Turismo). GTA 4 was a shot in the dark of an ultra realistic setting, it failed. GTA V is everything a GTA needs to be an it's done well. There will be some quirks but overall the game is good. WASTED sign is great, quick spawn to hospital is awesome. 

So just ignore the people whining, hey are either.

#1 Dumbf*cks

#2 Weren't born before GTA even started

#3 Hanging off the hype wagon

#4 Off the wagon

#5 Kids who buy anything shiny, whine an bitch an moan when mommy doesn't give them their own way, so troll on the internet hoping for some response to make themselves feel good about themselves cause they have very little stability or control of their own life due to being an adolescent f*cktart not even old enough to play GTA V but whine about it anyway even there their opinion is mute.

#6 Ungrateful spoiled retards thinking that R* gonna listen to their bitching cause "It works on their parents" right kids? f*ck off  :sigh:

Thank you thank you.. I am glad to see people actually have sense enough to make an educated guess. I like the improved physics as well. People who don't like it are afraid of change and can't see past any logical yet endearing choice.

• Malndor likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. You have eyes and hands, but do you have a brain? That you're willing to use?

I think you got Rockstar confused with NASA.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

There is a difference between a mindless sheep and an informed customer. I don't know of your credentials so I am not going to judge you on that. But the people that design the games a Rockstar North are actually Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics majors. These guys are science and math geeks. Not your average video gamer. They know more of the techonological aspects. It's unfair to judge their 5 years of work based on your 5 hours of viewing of leaked gameplay. Learn physics and math dude. Then you'll understand that "crashes" don't happen the way you think they do. 

So expecting your car turning into complete wreckage after it gets hit by a large truck at high speed is not a common sense, now? ...oh gosh...i must be living in some kind of parallel world then...

Depends on the velocity of the truck, the momentum transferred by the truck, the amount of Kinetic energy of the truck, amount of Kinetic energy lot and absorbed by the car, the strength of the metal of the car, whether the truck was decelerating as the car was hit...so yes we can expect the car to be totaled but we have to determine if it was an elastic or inelastic collision which depends on the angle at which the car was hit. More often than not, only the side that got hit will be totally totaled. The car won't turn into a big pile of metal just like that.

• OneFlaw likes this

Ryder_from_the_grave
  • Ryder_from_the_grave

Land of the Heartless

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

i saw tons of vids of cars crashing but nothing happened to the cars except a scratch. f*ck you cockstar

for those still crying about the damage obviously havent seen the leaks on daily motion.after my leak binge just now all i have to say is the damage is astonishing.i was smiling the whole way through all the videos still trying to process how amazing V turned out,and i aint even playin it yet..

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

This thread makes not much sense. So we're jealous of people who got the game early? And as a result, we're condemning the car crash physics?

The cars in this game are far too durable. there's literally a video where a guy is deliberately trying to get his car to catch on fire and blow up. It takes him 8 minutes. 

Cars are too durable. Even during the first few leak vids, everyone assumed that all of the cars being driven were equipped with "armor" and that "there was nothing to worry about".

It won't deter from playing the game. But for the last time. We're not jealous, we're not trolling, we're speaking from our hearts. The car damage seems like the damage you'd expect from a racing game (that is a game that provides minimal realistic car damage with the goal of you keeping your car for as long as possible) -- that's fine for an arcade racer like MCLA, but it's not cool for a sandbox like GTA.

/$0.02

• Vorpax likes this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

I think you got Rockstar confused with NASA.

Go on Rockstars website under the jobs section. Look at the requirements of a game developer. Comp Science, Physics, Math are basic college grad requirements with any computer related job.  

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Things I noticed, Bumps and side swipes result in scratching.  High speed ramming will cause more denting.

The first video that posted showing a Police car hitting a Car everyone freaked out...Its like everyone was blind by the fact that the Police Car really only Side swiped the car and then the car bounced off the side of the guard rail, not really hitting it dead on.

People seem to confuse, Side swiping and such for (FULL ON HITTING)  You guys are really freaking out over nothing. The damage is just fine...If you Honestly dont like it then dont play it or Wait for the PC version to mod the game.

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Why are you multiquoting huge quote trains? It destroys the thread, tbh.

GoonerSoldier
  • GoonerSoldier

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

If car physics were real the game would be boring as most accidents would have your car almost wrecked and undrivable.  Is that the kind of game yall want?? So realistic that after a small crash at 30-40 mph your car is totaled?  Id rather the damage be more like San Andreas where your car would eventually get a lot of damage but only after a lot of crashing it.

• solofme likes this

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

If car physics were real the game would be boring as most accidents would have your car almost wrecked and undrivable.  Is that the kind of game yall want?? So realistic that after a small crash at 30-40 mph your car is totaled?  Id rather the damage be more like San Andreas where your car would eventually get a lot of damage but only after a lot of crashing it.

GTA IV car physics would have sufficed. They were perfect, imo.

Malndor
  • Malndor

!?

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

And if they made realistic car damage, people would complain that the car they spent $100,000 on blows up so easy. My guess for why R* did it this way.

Vorpax
  • Vorpax

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

Nope...don't know about others' issues, but mine is that i don't see any damage at all on my car when it got hit at full speed (like 140-160 MPH) on a highway by a large freaking truck and act like a freaking yo-yo on an impact! LOL

atthegates
  • atthegates

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

just joined to give my two cents. I like a lot of people am not going to make up my mind until i play it, but anyone who says they're not worried is in denial. it's all about impact, a sense and feeling that you've been hit at high speed. think back to IV when you hit a pole for the first time at speed and the front of your car crumpled round it. that felt right.

It might not have been realistic or accurate but it added to the sense of impact and was right for the game. I'm hoping they're adding to this not taking away from it. It's conflicting because I've seen crashes that look  amazing from the leaked footage and also ones that look like utter sh*te as i'm sure u all have. Having a high speed collision with not even a scratch to show for it is an extreme buzzkill and it'll only feel worse as time goes on.

if these leaked videos are accurate it's a big chink in rockstars armor. there are a load of people who buy gta and just put on the game and go driving and crashing for hours a day for months. it's going to lose it's appeal very quickly if things like damage models aren't done right.

i trust they will have done the right thing. Leave the flawed design choices to deep silver volition. R* has always been a different breed of a company, out on their own, head and shoulders above the rest. Hopefully they keep it that way.

another concerned Irishman

quidyg
  • quidyg

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

there's to many variables to be able to judge the driving without playing the game. there's driving skill, the car your driving and all the customisation options R* included.

• Slave Boy likes this

atthegates
  • atthegates

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

"So expecting your car turning into complete wreckage after it gets hit by a large truck at high speed is not a common sense, now? ...oh gosh...i must be living in some kind of parallel world then..."

Nice to see someone talking some sense. on a more positive note the combat physics i.e the way someone falls over, seem to be as expected. that tweaked version of the rage they used in max payne 3 seems to be in play. their engine is great, let's just hope driving has that ooomph feel.

you want to feel like you were in a crash not on a bumpers ride!

quidyg
  • quidyg

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Nope...don't know about others' issues, but mine is that i don't see any damage at all on my car when it got hit at full speed (like 140-160 MPH) on a highway by a large freaking truck and act like a freaking yo-yo on an impact! LOL

i saw a clip where someone hit the side of a peds car and the tire came flying off

atthegates
  • atthegates

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

there's to many variables to be able to judge the driving without playing the game. there's driving skill, the car your driving and all the customisation options R* included.

True. i think i needed some perspective.

GTA4L1fe
  • GTA4L1fe

Outlaws till the end

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

"THese are the same people that complained about the same mechanics in GTA IV"

The way I see it it's the exact opposite. I loved IV's car handling, but judged from V's gameplay videos the handling looks arcadey, espescially sports cars. I have yet to play the game for myself and will then be able to properly judge what I think of it. I'm not saying the game is horrible, because everything else I've seen looks amazing. I'm just saying V's driving looks to easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users