Photo

To the people old enough to have bought GTA III when it came out

92 replies to this topic
Vashter
  • Vashter

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hell I'm old as hell and still damn stroke about this game!!! :)

• Elsparko and AtomicPunk like this

SteelAce
  • SteelAce

PS4 MASTERRACE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

I am still excited as the day I was when GTA V  was announced. 

bangcrosby
  • bangcrosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

thanks for all the replies duders

just to get 1 thing straight, i'm not saying everyone critical of the game should shut up about it. the people throwing hysterical bitchfits seem to be the loudest voices around here right now and they do a disservice to the fans with legit criticisms

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by Lil ski, 14 September 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Back then was different story for me. I was unaware of any gta forum (or forums in general) and didn't even think it was possible to "leak" somthing that hasn't came out yet. (Hey it was 2001, P2P and ISO ripping was still in its baby stages back then!!) But what kept me hyped was reading the official playstation magazine and EGM mags previews over and over and over again until it finally came out :pp

bangcrosby
  • bangcrosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

yeah i picked III as an example because it feels so long ago now and it just knocked me on my ass the first time i played it. probably never gonna get that impact from a game again

_Juice
  • _Juice

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:11 AM Edited by _Juice, 14 September 2013 - 01:13 AM.

It's funny. My gut says a significant portion of the posters are, in fact, too young to have appreciated GTA III for what it was at the time of it's release. Nothing short of ground-breaking and a true "game changer". I was excited to see what R* could come up with to top it. Then Vice City came out, and I loved it even more. Then San Andreas, and I loved it even more. In retrospect, I think Vice City was the creme de la creme, but all of the PS2 titles were insanely good in their own way, but III paved the way and showed what was possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said for IV. Don't get me wrong, IV is a really good game. But the expectations were sky high coming off the PS2 titles and the fact that R* had the PS3 capabilities to work with. So, if IV was someone's first GTA experience, I almost feel bad for them, because it's tough for them to acknowledge the fact that R* is capable of so much more, and when seeing 7 second clips or some jackass driving around aimlessly in leaks of V, I think they start to believe they're going to get another IV all over again. A bland expedition of repetitive and tedious misadventures.

From what I've seen, which is probably a couple hours worth of gameplay when added all up, V may very well set the bar in a similar manner to III. For me, it's easy to have faith in R* because I know how good they are, or at least can be, even if IV wasn't the greatest game ever made.

Can't wait for the midnight release.

Thunderer08
  • Thunderer08

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

I'm 42 and everything is better than games when I was 10, thought GTA111 was the um how do the kids put it... The sh*t? lol I was 30ish back then & yeah it was the dogs, But V well we've been rewarded with greatness all looking good so far...

Trying to resist the live streams, but as said most are just driving and crashing.... one thing I saw was Franklin take a plane and the player went to Trevor and then back to Franklin and the plane was his car falling to earth..... but hey why would you swap and swap back again straight away. seen far to much and can't wait until Tuesday so I can do it my self... I might even share my thoughts at the end of next week.

• Elsparko likes this

BlackeyGRAM
  • BlackeyGRAM

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Lol i was 10 when 3 came but i played the first three (gta london) as a little niglet i grew up on these games. ive watched the leaks and im still hella turnt up for this game

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Jeez, old enough to buy III when it came out? I got to be old enough when IV came out lol.

bangcrosby
  • bangcrosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

It's funny. My gut says a significant portion of the posters are, in fact, too young to have appreciated GTA III for what it was at the time of it's release. Nothing short of ground-breaking and a true "game changer". I was excited to see what R* could come up with to top it. Then Vice City came out, and I loved it even more. Then San Andreas, and I loved it even more. In retrospect, I think Vice City was the creme de la creme, but all of the PS2 titles were insanely good in their own way, but III paved the way and showed what was possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said for IV. Don't get me wrong, IV is a really good game. But the expectations were sky high coming off the PS2 titles and the fact that R* had the PS3 capabilities to work with. So, if IV was someone's first GTA experience, I almost feel bad for them, because it's tough for them to acknowledge the fact that R* is capable of so much more, and when seeing 7 second clips or some jackass driving around aimlessly in leaks of V, I think they start to believe they're going to get another IV all over again. A bland expedition of repetitive and tedious misadventures.

From what I've seen, which is probably a couple hours worth of gameplay when added all up, V may very well set the bar in a similar manner to III. For me, it's easy to have faith in R* because I know how good they are, or at least can be, even if IV wasn't the greatest game ever made.

Can't wait for the midnight release.

good post. what are your thoughts on the vehicle handling

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, I was old enough to care about GTA III. I liked it, I was already a Driver 1 and 2 fan though, so I was interested in GTA III but not super hyped. When I played I new that it was going to be widely popular. It wasn't until GTA Vice City that I was really blown away. Then GTA SA came along and blew my mind.

To me GTA V seems like it's not a big enough step forwards from GTA IV, considering the time inbetween. I don't think it's fair to fully judge yet because most leak videos are played by terrible gamers. But I'm hoping something comes along and helps raise my hype level, because it's quite low right now.

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

I'm 42 and sold the first GTA (PC) at Babbages before they became Gamestop. No other series has ever made me more excited for the next release. Vacation days start Monday!

Babbages, lol... I used to go in there every day after school and play the Sim City 1 demo.

Loved that store...

• Elsparko likes this

BlackeyGRAM
  • BlackeyGRAM

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

I was about 9 or 10 when i heard about 3 i was stoked because i grew up playing the older gta games and i was so excited to be able to enjoy gta in 3d. Seeing how far gta has come is amazing

Skeloton
  • Skeloton

Living Dead Gangster

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Lol I was like 11 when GTA3 came out, damn threads making me feel old.

Me, I'm ecstatic. As of this post its 2:24am in my timezone.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

I was 8 when GTA3 came out but i started playing gta a year later when Vice City was released. So yes i'm excited, after all GTA has come a long way. 

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

Definitely stoked. This is the best open world game to date (IMO) and the best GTA so far. Haven't been this excited in a while lol. Also, I saw the Bradygames guide (just vehicles, weapons, and some side activities) and holy sh*t, that got me even more excited. 

Elsparko
  • Elsparko

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

I'm 42 and sold the first GTA (PC) at Babbages before they became Gamestop. No other series has ever made me more excited for the next release. Vacation days start Monday!

Babbages, lol... I used to go in there every day after school and play the Sim City 1 demo.

Loved that store...

Yeah, it was a good store until EB came along and out-marketed them in every way imaginable hehe. The other thing that screwed them was their "return anything, anytime as long as you have a receipt" deal. We had people bringing in Atari Jaguars from years before to get a refund and then apply it to a PS1. Just bad, bad business sense all around. :/

MagzGTA
  • MagzGTA

The 1975-Tones

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

I was like 8...haha

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

tell me if you're stoked or not after seeing the leaks. i'm trying to avoid them

it's obvious a lot of the people on this forum were maybe 10 yrs old when 4 was released and i can't take children's opinions seriously

i'm stoked. early leaks looked bad, but... now stoked.

bangcrosby
  • bangcrosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

while we're taking a stroll down memory lane heres another thing i owe III for: KJAH

that scientist album is one of the best i own

gta513
  • gta513

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

Im 26 ill be 27 on September 25th, i been playing gta since the first game but neva became a huge fan until 3 came out. Ive beat every game in the series except Chinatown because i just got it on ipad recently but san andreas is by far my favorite. Gta4 was a great game but it wasnt my fav because it felt held back after playing san andreas the only thing i liked better about gta4 was the graphics. Im extremely excited for gta5 it looks to have fixed all the problems i had with previous titles and its back in s.a. so im hyped as f*ck

jrdn7730
  • jrdn7730

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

I've watched a live stream for about a half hour (no missions) in HD directly from the console and it made my excitement sky-rocket. The handling and damage look better than before. People seem to forget that Franklin is the high level driver, and that's why it looks arcade-y when he's driving.

Ivooomd
  • Ivooomd

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

I'm loving this topic. Everyone is polite, no disrespect, and all of you are kind of sharing your thoughts with a positive mind. I'm 25 now. III was the first GTA I bought for ps2. I've only seen a couple of videos, both with no spoilers, and I'm astonished with the amount of detail, graphic quality and gameplay value it has. 

If you are completely avoiding the leaks, keep on doing it. You're going to enjoy it...a lot. ;)

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

I've been playing since GTA 1. I walked into a store and bought it myself. When III came out, I didn't know what to expect. Then I was blown away and die-hard ever since. With IV, it felt a little bland to me, but I still liked it. OK.

From what I've seen of the leaks, streams and everything else, R* changed the formula. A very f*cking dangerous thing to do when revisiting nostalgia. The driving is different, the crash physics are a joke, and many other problems obviously exist. I haven't played it yet, but I will just to see what I already know in my heart to be true. I have an aching in my heart right now 'cause I've waited so long. My eyes don't lie and I know what I've seen in the videos. R* can't slack off on physics and expect everybody to gargle on their balls just because it's "back to San An". I'm worried. I think R* might've stumbled a little bit and I don't like seeing my heros stumble. (turns on Foo Fighters - Hero with tear streaming down cheek)

Holy sh*t. This post is so close to how I feel, it's scary. I wish I could give you more likes, man.

Me too.  I will get used to it, and I will play GTAV for years, but it's clear at this point that we were chasing a mythical beast, and now that we have finally seen it, we realize that even Rockstar cannot perform miracles, not even by spending $270 million (gasp). 

• AtomicPunk likes this

snaredrum
  • snaredrum

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

when GTA III came out, my dad's computer could only play it if i stayed in top-down view. If i went to standard GTA view, it crashed. I got GTA (the original) when it came out on PS1, bought a PS2 to play San Andreas, a 360 to play IV. I'm It's scary how far we've come. was watching some footage on YT earlier, and i've honestly never seen a game city look as damn REAL as LS does in V. I won't sleep the next few nights, seriously. 

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I am over 30and I dont care about small bugs. Im just enjoying the game.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I have been a fan since III and I just can't believe how low the series has sunk. It's just terrible.

Skyline_Mad
  • Skyline_Mad

supercalifragilistic when we drop we go ballistic

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

I played GTA 1 and 2 a little bit on PS1(Pirated), but not enough to even complete one, but after seeing a friend play GTA3 on PS2, i knew GTA 3 would be the first game i bought after getting a PS2 the following xmas, and that it would be a game i played alot of, and was my favorite game of all time until Vice City came out.

I did have the internet before GTA3 (i think it was late 1999, early 2000 that we first got 56k, Napster is the first thing i remember about the net :) ), but rarely looked for game info back then, i'd rather use game mags, which is what i did even before GTA3 was released, it wasn't until San Andreas that i started the tradition of constantly checking for new videos, screens and info leading up to the release lol. And then during my Big Foot hunt i came across these forums.

I saw a limited amount of leaks for GTAIV and the only interest i lost from them was the handling of vehicles, like the way they would roll when cornering, but i did not even think for a second that the game would suck. And the same goes for GTAV, after seeing the leaks i have some mixed feeling about the more arcadey handling and less realistic car physics. But know that know matter what, i will still love the game, there is so much to do and see that even if the handling is less than desired, i will still get more out of this game than IV, which is in my top 3 games of all time.

The leaks are actually making me want the game more than i did last week, and time seems to be slowing down, i feel this weekend is going to drag. But i do have a couple games i am playing through for the first time so i have plenty to keep me occupied until the 17th.

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

I have been a fan since III and I just can't believe how low the series has sunk. It's just terrible.

Yeah you can't be serious... Please explain.

Glenni91
  • Glenni91

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:19 AM Edited by Glenni91, 14 September 2013 - 02:20 AM.

You know, I was 11 when I first played GTA 3, I was around 6 or 7, when I first played GTA 1. It wasn't until GTA IV that I actually bought it, with a legal age (18) As 1, 2, III, VC, and SA were all bought when I was under 18.

Yet i enjoyed the games, I played them seriously, I didn't bitch and moan about every god damn thing in the game. Honestly., what is it with kids these days? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users