Photo

Miami Vice - TV Show

18 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:11 PM Edited by Indi, 13 September 2013 - 11:13 PM.

ejo-miami-vice2.jpg

There is most definitely a post about this television series somewhere in this forum but I ain't seen one recently so I'll start a new one.

Basically, this TV show is one of the best television shows you will ever watch and GTA fans would obviously know that R* adores Miami Vice (Det. Tubbs, Philip Michael Thomas, voiced Lance Vance in GTA: Vice City) and if you want to see GTA in film-format then I'm telling you, watch this television series.  It's an '80s ensemble and influenced the way people dressed and poised themselves back in the day.

I recently bought Season One on DVD and I am loving it; the music, the guns, glitz and glamour, the cocaine, the parties, the corny acting; it's all there and it's brilliant.

I'll give you a brief synopsis of what it's about:

"Stubble-faced detective Crockett lived in a sailboat guarded by his alligator Elvis. His partner Tubbs was a black New York cop looking for his brother's killer. Together they took on the Florida drug world. The show influenced men's fashions toward Italo-casual and interior decor toward the Memphis look. Very trendy music and unusual guest performers."

So yeah, anyone watched it?  Favourite scene from this show is this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8eBLveddSfM

• Zyo, Street Mix and Skeever like this

tinman187
  • tinman187

DoUgHbOi

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:30 AM Edited by tinman187, 15 September 2013 - 03:33 AM.

Got season 1 last month to help me get pumped for GTA V lol Gotta say, this show is awesome. The first episodes really hooked me into the entire series, especially the pilot and "

Spoiler
".. Soundtrack is fantastic. Just finished Season 1 a few day's ago, will probably pick up season 2 when I finish with V, which will probably be in a few months. 

For those who haven't seen Miami Vice yet, I highly recommend it. People forget that this show is directed by Michael Mann, who is responsible for Heat and Collateral lol

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:46 AM Edited by VF94, 15 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Did any of you guys watch Nash Bridges? It's sort of like the spiritual successor to Miami Vice.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Miami Vice is my favorite show of all time. Did anybody see the Lebron james commercial a while back that had don reprise his role as Sonny?
  • Street Mix likes this

GEO9875
  • GEO9875

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

So vice city was based on this show in some aspects?

tinman187
  • tinman187

DoUgHbOi

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

So vice city was based on this show in some aspects?

Yes, Vice City was based on a lot of 80's pop culture, especially Scarface and Miami Vice. 

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:47 PM Edited by ROCKSTAR MANIC, 16 February 2016 - 10:48 PM.

I Started watching Miami Vice. I must admit I'm getting hooked.

Im still on Season one, episode one. Im taking it a bit slow. Soaking in all the theme and how the story is playing out.

Midnight Hitman
  • Midnight Hitman

Press CTRL+D for Dope Sh!t

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Why didn't Pavle bumped this earlier.?
  • Payne and Vik like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:33 AM

I've only seen the first two seasons it's a great show.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:57 PM Edited by Indi, 05 April 2016 - 05:00 PM.

sunglasses-deal-with-it-miami-vice-don-j

Three years later I finished the entire series.

It wasn't as great as the first two seasons, but, when the Testarossa got introduced in Season 3 :inlove:.

The finale was also very, very good.  Almost made me shed a tear.

I would definitely revisit some of the episodes from this series and I recommend it to anyone who loves GTA.

I'll probably give Nash Bridges a look now.

• The Yokel likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Nash Bridges is awesome. It was canceled though. It used to be one of my favorite shows when I was a teenager.

As for Miami Vice, it says a lot about a show that it managed to survive and stay relevant for so long. Movies do that often but TV shows just don't. There's not that many that people can name as timeless classics. Or at least there wasn't back in the day. Timeless classics tend to be mostly sitcoms for some reason. It's been different since The Sopranos revolutionized the medium.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:12 PM Edited by Indi, 05 April 2016 - 06:25 PM.

Nash Bridges is awesome. It was canceled though. It used to be one of my favorite shows when I was a teenager.

As for Miami Vice, it says a lot about a show that it managed to survive and stay relevant for so long. Movies do that often but TV shows just don't. There's not that many that people can name as timeless classics. Or at least there wasn't back in the day. Timeless classics tend to be mostly sitcoms for some reason. It's been different since The Sopranos revolutionized the medium.

I think with Miami Vice it is a combination of a lot of things.  To me it's about the music, the scenery, the partnership between Crockett and Tubbs, the cars; it's definitely one of my favourite TV shows.

The thing about Miami Vice though is that it probably was the right thing to do to cancel it at Season Five.  It's just a product of the '80s.  You could also see in the later series that Don Johnson just wasn't in it a lot, I Googled why that was and it seems to have been because he was getting big and was going into movies -- Philip Michael Thomas held his own though when Don was gone.  It's also a big shame that PMT's career died after Miami Vice -- Googled why that was and it seemed to have been because his ego was getting enormously large.  

Spoiler

Also that's quite true about "The Sopranos," wasn't until that show I think until TV started to be considered as something serious; that and "The Wire" maybe.

Music from the finale was so good:

I wish I was around in the '80s sometimes.

*sigh* I think I'll go and play Vice City now to experience a time that has gone by...

... :cry:.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

The Wire is a weird one. It didn't become as big and famous until a couple of years later. People are still discovering it. So it didn't have the same impact on TV shows as The Sopranos, but not for the lack of quality. I think that LOST had a bigger impact than The Wire simply because of its sheer popularity from day one. And the scope of the show was just insane. People didn't know that TV shows can be like that.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:36 PM Edited by Indi, 06 April 2016 - 07:49 PM.

The Wire is a weird one. It didn't become as big and famous until a couple of years later. People are still discovering it. So it didn't have the same impact on TV shows as The Sopranos, but not for the lack of quality. I think that LOST had a bigger impact than The Wire simply because of its sheer popularity from day one. And the scope of the show was just insane. People didn't know that TV shows can be like that.

"LOST" was very popular indeed.  Never saw all of it though.

I think "Breaking Bad" was probably the most immersive story-driven TV show I have seen though.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:31 PM

I think "Breaking Bad" was probably the most immersive story-driven TV show I have seen though.

For me it probably was LOST. Even though it suffered a drop in quality after season 4. I was quite obsessed with it and blind to a lot of its flaws that I now see all too well.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:45 PM

For me it probably was LOST. Even though it suffered a drop in quality after season 4. I was quite obsessed with it and blind to a lot of its flaws that I now see all too well.

I'll have to pick up "Nash Bridges" first and then check out "LOST"...  I have quite a few TV shows I'd like to get through -- one of them being "Knight Rider."  I saw some episodes years ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted A day ago

IT'S HEADING TO BLU-RAY!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19345
  • Alchemist likes this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Zaibatsu
  • Serbia
  • Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015

Posted 18 hours ago

Why didn't Pavle bumped this earlier.?

It's because he found the topic five months later. Miami Vice is my favorite show. I absolutely love it. The soundtrack, the characters, the story. Not gonna lie, the final episode almost made me tear up when they go for one last ride together. Also, my member title indicates my favorite episode ;).
  • Midnight Hitman likes this

Vik
  • Vik

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 17 hours ago

IT'S HEADING TO BLU-RAY!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19345

Surprisingly still haven't bothered watching it yet. This will probably give me an incentive to. I was always a big fan of 80s ''cop content'', especially Beverly Hills Cop, but i've just been so lazy to even bother :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users