Photo

Any fellow Tinnitis sufferers?

25 replies to this topic
Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

So does anyone besides me on this forum have mild to severe tinnitis (permanent ringing in the ears)?  I've had severe tinnitis in both ears for about 2 months now caused by playing drums in a band.  I always tried to wear hearing protection during practice and a few shows, but sometimes i just wasn't cautious enough i guess.  I went to a few doctors but they basically just said its permanent and i'll just have to deal with it.  It gets pretty hard sometimes.  I find it really difficult to focus in classes and have even thought about dropping out of college because of it, but i know that won't help me.  When I play video games I have to wear headphones because the speakers on my tv won't block out the ringing, and I also sleep with a couple fans running, but I still find myself waking up about 2 or 3 times a night because of the ringing.

So does anyone else have any similar experience with tinnitis, or have any tips on dealing with it.  Please share your story.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

I'm not even sh*tting you when I say my ears started ringing just now. I'm not mocking you, I'm being serious.

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

I'm not even sh*tting you when I say my ears started ringing just now. I'm not mocking you, I'm being serious.

If it lasts longer than a week i'd get that checked out.  Mine started suddenly while I was sitting watching tv.  At first I thought it was the tv but it didn't stop.  2 months later, and its still going.

:panic:

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

That sounds extremely annoying. I don't even think I'd be able to live with it. I envy you.

• Snoochie_Boochies likes this

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

That sounds extremely annoying. I don't even think I'd be able to live with it. I envy you.

It really is annoying.  Most people i've talked to who have the same condition, including my doctor say after a year or so you just get used to it being there.  I hope i eventually do, but so far its all I think about.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

As far as I recall, most of people got it, there's no cure to it either, we'll have to live with it I guess.

It drives me nuts.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Yes, as a musician I NEVER wore ear protect and always played as loud as possible with pro quality gear = super loud. Big mistake. It's annoying but you do get used to it. I've read about new studies that help by getting the ear used to the frequency(s) that you are hearing, and somehow gets your ears to relax.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I used to have constant high-pitched ringing in my ears, but over time it just went away. Whatever started it, doesn't seem to have caused any permanent damage. I still hear a very faint, barely noticeable ringing however, but I think that's normal.

But yeah, when it was at its worst it drove me insane. Couldn't concentrate on anything because all I heard was this ringing. Luckily mine went away though..

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

I get temporary tinnitus when I go hunting. I hate hearing nothing but "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" for 3 days.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Jeez I never even heard of this before.  It sounds terrible and I feel for you, I really do.  I will make sure I always take care with loud music from now on.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:49 AM Edited by finn4life, 13 September 2013 - 08:51 AM.

Most people have Tinnitus at some point at least I reckon, i'd hardly call it suffering lol. Mine started at like 15ish. Basically it's just what you get as you age and deal with loud noises, it won't go away if you've had it for a while, just deal with it and try avoid further exposure to loud noise. Nightclubs and earphones are the major damagers. Basically tinnitus is a way of going deaf. It's funny though because nobody knows exactly what it is makijng the noise. 

Other causes are like too much earwax or tumours, certain things make it flare up like stress and such.

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I started noticing mine a few months ago. It's just this soft quiet constant ringing in my left ear. Majority of the time I can't hear it. It's only really when it's quiet indoors. If I'm outside then I can't hear it because there's so much going on.

A little background, I've been playing guitar for 12 years, I had a drumset for many years and went to lots of nightclubs/concerts. Basically, just always liked my music loud. I'd laugh at people who'd wear ear protector's at band practice or at concerts. Now who's laughing? 

I guess I can't really complain too much. It's really soft in 1 ear. It does bother me and stops me sleeping a lot. I can't sleep unless I have some noise in the room so my Radio or TV is on all through the night. If the ringing was a lot louder and in two ears then I'd go crazy. 

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yes, as a musician I NEVER wore ear protect and always played as loud as possible with pro quality gear = super loud. Big mistake. It's annoying but you do get used to it. I've read about new studies that help by getting the ear used to the frequency(s) that you are hearing, and somehow gets your ears to relax.

The worst part is at least for now, its almost completely turned me off playing music anymore.  The other day A former band asked me to come back and I told them I didn't want to make the ringing any worse.

I have heard about some therapies out there.  I saw an interview with Pete Townshend who said he used to have it really bad, and he did a lot of Holistic and new age therapies and now he barely has it.  I wonder what he did

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I thought I had severe tinnitis but after reading your story I realize that mine is only mild.

I've had it for years now, I still remember how it happened.

I had a BB gun that resembled a shotgun which I stupidly put to my right ear and fired.

I've had constant ringing in my ears ever since and even though I can only hear it when It's super quiet around me or I concentrate on the ringing it's still annoying as f*ck.

jato4x4
  • jato4x4

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

I have it, and it sucks. I got it when I was in the army, I drove a M1 Abrams tank. The jet engine powering those is quite loud. From those I had 10% hearing loss and tinnitus, so the army gives me a disability check of 130$ every month.

It sucks when your just sitting there and they start ringing though. Luckily mine usually doesn't last to long, but sometimes it does. Hopefully it's not something that gets worse as I get older.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

Am I seriously the only one who misread the topic title?

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:51 AM Edited by Snoochie_Boochies, 14 September 2013 - 01:59 AM.

I have it, and it sucks. I got it when I was in the army, I drove a M1 Abrams tank. The jet engine powering those is quite loud. From those I had 10% hearing loss and tinnitus, so the army gives me a disability check of 130$ every month.

It sucks when your just sitting there and they start ringing though. Luckily mine usually doesn't last to long, but sometimes it does. Hopefully it's not something that gets worse as I get older.

I feel you, man.  I've heard about how its the main symptom that military personnel have after duty.  Military vets and musicians seem to be the main types of people at risk for tinnitis.  Mine is constant, but i'm learning to deal with it, and it shouldn't get worse as long as you protect your hearing.  Any time I know i'm going to be around loud noises, like when i'm playing music, or going to a football game I wear earplugs just to be careful.  My friends may think its funny to see me with earplugs but it will be worth it when I can still hear when i'm 60, albeit with constant ringing.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

I have ringing in my ears since 16 or so, but I don't have that constanting ringing. It does it, when I'm extremely tired, and I can tell the moment it's about to happen. When it does, my ears felt as if it's being squeeze very tight, then I get that ringing. After a few hours it goes away.

My mom has ringing in her ears too and it's being doing it for a few years. It all started one day, when she hear a loud bang. She thought it was a outside noise, but it's from inside her ears.

She was able to deal with it as it didn't bother her too much, but these past few days the ringing got very loud.

It says that's there are 2 types of tinnitis, subjective and objective.

Subjective-ringing only the patient hears it

Objective-ringing where doctors can hear it too with a special equipment.

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have ringing in my ears since 16 or so, but I don't have that constanting ringing. It does it, when I'm extremely tired, and I can tell the moment it's about to happen. When it does, my ears felt as if it's being squeeze very tight, then I get that ringing. After a few hours it goes away.

My mom has ringing in her ears too and it's being doing it for a few years. It all started one day, when she hear a loud bang. She thought it was a outside noise, but it's from inside her ears.

She was able to deal with it as it didn't bother her too much, but these past few days the ringing got very loud.

It says that's there are 2 types of tinnitis, subjective and objective.

Subjective-ringing only the patient hears it

Objective-ringing where doctors can hear it too with a special equipment.

My mother had it too ever since she accidentaly pierced her eardrum.

And yeah, if a docter can hear it too its a sign of some other condition, like a jaw injury or a tumor.  Mine is the "in my head" one.  Its a constant ringing as well.  To anyone who has had tinnitis for a long period caused by hearing loss, is there anyting that you have tried or done that makes it easier to cope with, or maybe even lower the volume of the ringing?  I would be willing to try anything, even if I can just get the ringing a little bit lower.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

No, but I do have IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it means my sh*ts can sometimes be very painful and range from rock hard doodies that scrape my butthole on the way out to violent, burning diarrhea sometimes with no warning signs and seemingly with no cause either. Every time I sit on the sh*tter it's an adventure, there's no cure for it either like with your condition, we're like brothers.

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:10 PM Edited by Snoochie_Boochies, 14 September 2013 - 10:11 PM.

No, but I do have IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it means my sh*ts can sometimes be very painful and range from rock hard doodies that scrape my butthole on the way out to violent, burning diarrhea sometimes with no warning signs and seemingly with no cause either. Every time I sit on the sh*tter it's an adventure, there's no cure for it either like with your condition, we're like brothers.

Wanna trade?  :lol:

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Wanna trade?  :lol:

I think if we combined both our conditions we might be f*cked up enough to pull in a disability check.....hmmmm.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

It seems to come and go with me

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:40 PM Edited by Snoochie_Boochies, 15 September 2013 - 06:43 PM.

It seems to come and go with me

its a pretty common occurance to have temporary tinnitis.  A lot of things can cause it, like earwax buildup, certain medicines, and just being around loud noise.  It only gets serious when you get into severe noise trauma, like being around explosions or spending most of your life around loud clubs and playing music, like me.  My left ear is pretty much shot from having a speaker aimed right at it all the time so I could hear the Guitar, and the hi-hat from my drums being open most of the time since the band insisted that sounded better.  Idiots.

To any fellow drummers out there:  close the hi-hat, wear ear protection when practicing, and insist on using them if your band thinks its stupid, like mine did.  If they don't care about your health and hearing, you should find some better bandmates.

Edit: if you find that wearing ear protection distorts the sound of the other instruments too much, try using some earmuffs, or some on ear headphones.  They will muffle the sound just enough to avoid hearing loss.  Bottom line: if you go home with pain in your ears, a stuffy feeling, or temporary ringing, its too loud, and permament tinnitis WILL develop.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:10 PM Edited by rhyn, 15 September 2013 - 10:11 PM.

I have it yeah, I found listening to white noise or rain when I'm trying to sleep helps to ease it enough that I forget about it. Try these

Or

http://rainymood.com

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

I have it occaisionally. If I'm ever jamming, I tend to plug up my ears if the drummer's too enthusiastic.

However, there was this one time... it was really odd. It was basically the high-pitch whine, but it came and went with other noise. So if I heard something loud enough....or spoke louder than a whisper... it would have an extra "tinny" noise ringing along with it.

Enough to drive a man insane.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users