Photo

So, is this what Facebook is like?

38 replies to this topic
Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

To this day, I've never created a Facebook/Twitter/Myspace/Bebo/whatever-the-f*ck-else account.

This comment/user respect system that has recently been introduced to GTAForums....is this ego-feeding subsidiary prevalent among all of the above mentioned social networks?

If so, does it not make you want to throw your PC/laptop out of the window, seeing your ACTUAL real-life, non-internet friends sucking ass to create some virtual circle of popularity?

I've been asked on many occasion to sign up to FB, because I'm apparently "missing out". But I've gotten on just fine by using the old-fashioned traditional method of using a phone to communicate. 

Perhaps this belongs in the 'Grumpy Forumers' topic, but I'm under the suspicion that many of you subscribe to these sites to merit a didicated thread.

• EscoLehGo and DeafMetal like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

No. This is not like facebook. My Mom and Grandpa are not a member and no one is sending me requests to play sh*tty games that even LJN would publish.

• Adler and DeafMetal like this

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

I have an FB and Twitter bu its nothing special bro.

Awesome avi by the way =]

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:00 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 13 September 2013 - 02:01 AM.

The f*ck you on about man ? This is far far from Facebook. Also hating on Facebook is lame and unjustifiable, it's a great way to stay in touch and see what your mates are up too and whats coming up in the future. Yes a lot of dicks use facebook for their attention/like whoring and showing off there uber-cool life however that is not facebooks fault, it is the nature of a social media site.

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

No. This is not like facebook. My Mom and Grandpa are not a member and no one is sending me requests to play sh*tty games that even LJN would publish.

As I mentioned, I believe there is a similar 'like/respect' system implemented in Facebook. This place is an online gaming forum where none of us truely know each other, so it can kind of be dismissed as harmless fun. But don't you think it's pretty pathetic to have such a feature on these more closely, personally, social engaging websites?

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

No. It's an easy way of showing your appreciation (which can manifest in multiple ways) for something. Sure some people like to horde likes and sh*t but so what ? I don't understand why it pains you so much ? 

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

No. It's an easy way of showing your appreciation (which can manifest in multiple ways) for something. Sure some people like to horde likes and sh*t but so what ? I don't understand why it pains you so much ? 

Are you talking about this forum? Or Facebook?

If the former, then I agree 100%.

If the latter; then what pains me, is this modern format of trying to obtain respect from actual real life friends/relatives by appeasing ones opinion/general views, online, with soul-neglecting bullsh*t in order to gain pathetic rep points. And what further saddens me, is that some of those in their 30's/40's/50's, actually pertain to those points.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the fright

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

Those are the types of people you laugh at, you shouldn't be feeling angry or even sad for that matter.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

I am talking about Facebook. I think you are looking way to deep into it man, not everyone is a like whore. I like a few things now and then on my news feed, you know why ? Because I like it. I share things and upload my photos to Facebook to enjoy with my friends, not to get x amount of likes.

Honestly your who Nihilistic view of Facebook is a very ignorant, cliched one that most unsocial basement dwellers have (not implying you are of that catagory). You don't even use it yet you have this unfounded hate for it. Maybe if you should sign up and see why it's so big. It's not all a popularity contest.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm almost positive a lot of the people on the forum have been (mostly unintentionally) pressing their closer friends' like buttons, but now that the number is hidden so that you have to care to find it it seems a lot less problematic.

And unless you've got something against the information selling that facebook does, don't start biting until you know what you're biting into. If you've got friends that want you to join facebook you don't have much of a reason not to, and closing your account back down is as easy as a couple button presses and a few months' wait. Just don't put anything personal up there and stay away from the idiotic behavior you don't like, and you should have no problem at least trying it out to see what it's all about.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

As I mentioned, I believe there is a similar 'like/respect' system implemented in Facebook. This place is an online gaming forum where none of us truely know each other, so it can kind of be dismissed as harmless fun. But don't you think it's pretty pathetic to have such a feature on these more closely, personally, social engaging websites?

Not really, because people like likes, and it makes them feel good. If they make an ass out of themselves for it, then that's on them.

And no, this isn't what FB is like. I deleted mines the other day because it's starting to get really redundant. 

Smokin Shadowz
  • Smokin Shadowz

Sociopath

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:42 AM Edited by Smokin Shadowz, 13 September 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Nothing like facebook.
Facebook is just mainly used for attention seeking people mostly now. I just used it to keep track of people that I was friends with. Deleted it like a month ago. Don't make one. Waste of time.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Nothing like facebook.
Facebook is just mainly used for attention seeking people mostly now. I just used it to keep track of people that I was friends with. Deleted it like a month ago. Don't make one. Waste of time.

That's funny, I use it as a way to remember birthdays/phone numbers/etc.
Not defending it in anyway, as it's filled with angsty teens and over dramatics, but it IS useful.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Facebook is great if your friends aren't f*cktards sending game requests, or 7 year olds crying about their first love.

• DeafMetal likes this

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

This comment/user respect system that has recently been introduced to GTAForums....is this ego-feeding subsidiary prevalent among all of the above mentioned social networks?

Nope. 

DeeperRed has pretty much said everything I was going to say, and to be honest in this day and age you probably are missing out by not having Facebook. If anything, sign up just to see how warped your view on it is.

I don't use it everyday or play those sh*tty games, but Facebook has made it so f*cking easy to contact people and find out about parties and events. 

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Nope. 

DeeperRed has pretty much said everything I was going to say, and to be honest in this day and age you probably are missing out by not having Facebook. If anything, sign up just to see how warped your view on it is.

I don't use it everyday or play those sh*tty games, but Facebook has made it so f*cking easy to contact people and find out about parties and events. 

Yeah exactly, I always feel people who hate on Facebook are socially awkward types with minimal friends.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Facebook is great if your friends aren't f*cktards sending game requests, or 7 year olds crying about their first love.

Indeed. My friends aren't f*cktards and if there is someone being annoying I just totally hide them. There's no reason why it can't just be used like any other communication tool like SMS, e-mail, skype etc.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Twitter is awesome. /Thread.

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

There are a lot of differences between Facebook an GTAF. The only thing I found to be similar was the notification system. For example you get a notification in Facebook when someone likes one of your posts. Same applies here. 

One of the main differences is the Friend system. In Facebook a lot of profile content is blocked if you don't have someone as a friend. But in GTAForums there's no difference at all. I don't really see the point of a friend system here as there are no benefits. 

• Mr.Scratch likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is it edgy to hate facebook now? 

• orbitalraindrops likes this

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

If it is then I've been ahead of the game for years

Yeah I hate Facebook... deal with it :cool:

And don't bother trying to comeback with argument about how I'm 'wrong' .|.. ..|. because I'll preempt your argument with this...

argumentfail.jpg

• Max likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Well it's popular, people like to hate the popular thing. 

If you're hating FB, you haven't unfriended the right people. That's it.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

I only use FB to look at funny pictures or to help remember birthdays. Plus, watching people being angsty is pretty lulzy.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not even close, for example you can't have a sweet signature on FB, such as the Seven Psychopaths sig shoumic has right now.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

To this day, I've never created a Facebook/Twitter/Myspace/Bebo/whatever-the-f*ck-else account.

If so, does it not make you want to throw your PC/laptop out of the window, seeing your ACTUAL real-life, non-internet friends sucking ass to create some virtual circle of popularity?

I've been asked on many occasion to sign up to FB, because I'm apparently "missing out". But I've gotten on just fine by using the old-fashioned traditional method of using a phone to communicate. 

Perhaps this belongs in the 'Grumpy Forumers' topic, but I'm under the suspicion that many of you subscribe to these sites to merit a didicated thread.

Who are you to judge anything when you're posting on a forum using a neo-nazi as your avatar? Yeah, before you ask, I know where it comes from, doesn't negate the fact that you're running around with a god-damned swastika in your avatar.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

-snip-

Who are you to judge anything when you're posting on a forum using a neo-nazi as your avatar? Yeah, before you ask, I know where it comes from, doesn't negate the fact that you're running around with a god-damned swastika in your avatar.

Don't even worry about the 'where it comes from' part.  I'm pretty sure it was a straight up SS swastika before it changed to the dude with swastika tattoo.

Oh and I'm pretty sure this isn't what facebook is like.  I don't have facebook, but I feel pretty safe to have an account here and not have to worry about some freaks from my past finding me and wanting to talk or whatever.

• Otter likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

We'd love to have you on Facebook and in the group, trip. I have too many friends that are facebook holdouts without having any good reason. Give it a shot; it's the future.

• trip likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Ha.  It isn't that I am a holdout - I just hate the internet.

• Mr.Scratch likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hahaha, f*ck you. If that were true you'd never post here and you wouldn't be making arcade clones in your spare time. The internet's in yer blood. :p

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:03 PM Edited by shoumic, 13 September 2013 - 10:05 PM.

I just hate the internet.

9YrTa4J.png

Because GTAForums isn't part of the internet. We're part of another dimension. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users