Photo

Downfall of GTA driving begins now - Car handling/physics discussion

1,265 replies to this topic
voad1
  • voad1

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

I couldn't possibly feel more sad for people who can't let themselves appreciate how great these car physics are - is it perfect? No. Is it obviously more nuanced AND exciting than GTA IV's? Of course. It's less showy in its physics, but there's plenty of great and diverse driving mechanics happening under the hood throughout. A huge step forward from IV (which was a huge step forward itself), even if they still haven't nailed bike handling. The early bitching seemed dramatic, and having actually played the game all day, the whining is clearly even more baseless than I assumed it was. You want to live in the past? Your loss.

There simply isn't any nuance. I am enjoying the game but the driving isn't that great. I wish they met somewhere in the middle between this and 4. Or they had an option like Mafia 2 had. I play the on foot parts with free aim on and I am having a blast.

• GKP likes this

VivaSonny
  • VivaSonny

San Andreas utopian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

is this such a big issue? look at gta 3's physics. you could bring a car from full speed to stop with a handbrake mash within 4 meters, and the car wouldn't even spin.

did we all make such a fuss about it back then? no, because the game had the right feel, as all gta's had so far. despite all the things in which they differed, they had one thing common, gta has been an intuitive game so far, which is why it's so amazing to play

this game doesn't have the right feel. this control setup just messes everything up. the real problem with this game is that the classic setup no longer exists, which flaws it right from the start

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

There simply isn't any nuance. I am enjoying the game but the driving isn't that great. I wish they met somewhere in the middle between this and 4. Or they had an option like Mafia 2 had. I play the on foot parts with free aim on and I am having a blast.

This.

Early on I had two issues the cut down eurphoria effects and the driving. I got to say though the gun play part has grown on me and I'm having a great time when I'm out on foot. Driving though I tried to get into the the new system gave it some hours like people said.

I still absolutely hate it. I can't stand the way it reels down the roads at stupid pace and then stops instantly, that 'start-stop' feel of the game just grinds. It's wrong to prefer walking about in a game called Grand Theft Auto.

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

I just want the damn cars to act like they do now when I'm doing a mission, or when I need to ge somewhere quickly.
However, when I'm free roaming I want the cars to slide even more like they did in IV, and be drift-able as hell.
Heck, make it an option if that satisfies everyone.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

They're never going to do a patch, so get over it, stop complaining and adjust to the new physics like everyone else!

It only takes a few minutes to get used to the new driving and once you do you won't wanna go back to IV's flawed, slippery driving. 

• djv3n0m and THE DRAGOON like this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

They're never going to do a patch, so get over it, stop complaining and adjust to the new physics like everyone else!

It only takes a few minutes to get used to the new driving and once you do you won't wanna go back to IV's flawed, slippery driving. 

Sure, idiots who want everything spoon fed to them will "get used to it" and somehow that will convince them that it is amazing.  As for the rest of us who don't play games for the thrill of "getting used to it" will have to wait for VI, or perhaps a new developer who won't crumble under the pressure of people who suck at games.

poncratias
  • poncratias

a thread for threads

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

we will have to wait for PC version, so the modders can fix what rockstar f*cked up

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Over the past 2 days I have come to love the driving in GTA V. But I think cars are maybe a little too solid, there's no give it's like hitting a brick wall when you try to hit the tail-end of another car to take it out.

hexagramme
  • hexagramme

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I spend 80 % of my gaming time on sim racing. Nontheless I love the handling and physics of the GTA V cars. Because this is not meant to be a freaking racing simulator; it's meant to be an action game.

I can't fathom what on earth this outcry is all about... But what the hell, is people wanna whine instead of enjoying this generation's best video game, be my guest.

Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

is this such a big issue? look at gta 3's physics. you could bring a car from full speed to stop with a handbrake mash within 4 meters, and the car wouldn't even spin.

did we all make such a fuss about it back then? no, because the game had the right feel, as all gta's had so far. despite all the things in which they differed, they had one thing common, gta has been an intuitive game so far, which is why it's so amazing to play

this game doesn't have the right feel. this control setup just messes everything up. the real problem with this game is that the classic setup no longer exists, which flaws it right from the start

Single most retarded statement ever.

The reasons we did not complain about GTA III a 2001 game (i think)

1, What did we have to compare it to?

2. It was a f*cking ps2 game that released in like 2001.

GTA IV came out and revamped the car mechanic now the game was downgraded. Thats why people complain. Also I couldnt care less about the car controls was just pointing that out. However the motorbike controls are a joke.

boola
  • boola

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:58 PM Edited by boola, 19 September 2013 - 05:59 PM.

i have no words to describe this game. A lot people that do like it have never played GTA IV, so they dont know how good the driving physics could have been.

Surely GTA IV could have been improved, but it was much better than the V handling. The driving isnt FUN anymore. Right,left,accelerate, and brake doesn't = fun. The cars are too trigger sensitive.

I really, really, really, really hope R* brings a huge patch later. I heard GTA IV was patched before so its possible.

Fun is subjective, I prefer the handling in V and i loved the handling in IV. They are both fun, just because you dont find it as fun as IV doesnt mean you are right. Your opinion doesnt mean more than anyone elses. Fact is, the driving in V is an improvement on IV, if Rockstar didnt think it was they would have left it alone.

This debate is futile because fun for one person may not be fun for another.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I am so so so utterly pissed of with the game. Literally couldnt care less about driving. f*cking awful physics. Well done R*...f*cks sake.

silent storm
  • silent storm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I made an account especially to express my disappointment after 5 years waiting …

• A big part of the replay value of GTA IV was learning to handle each car and the realistic driving experience, now that’s gone… 
  • The reward of driving your car fast and spotless true traffic is gone …
  • Car damage is as good as gone…
  • Controlled handbrake / speed drifts are gone of better said useless now,  just turn the stick and you’ll get the corner

‘Grand theft AUTO’ neglected the AUTO part big time , really sad.

Gta4 sold 25 million copy’s,  why change the driving part then, is 25 million not enough to know people liked it???? I know , simplify and sell a few million more to children (who aren’t supposed to play) and idiots why can’t drive/don’t want to put some effort in learning how to drive.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$  thx to the stockholders I suppose $$$$$$$ I’m really sad

I’m hoping for a download/patch for realistic driving ,pls , I’ll would pay gladly for it.

• SickboyGNi likes this

silent storm
  • silent storm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

I ask myself how many of these pro GTAV handling topics/ reply's  are actually paid GTA employs????

Propaganda machine driving overtime …

• Boxman108 likes this

Thisnamehasnotbeentaken
  • Thisnamehasnotbeentaken

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Lol.

After playing the game I've got no problem whatsoever with the driving. Bunch of whining pussies.

• Lock N' Stock likes this

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

If they'd refine that slippery car cheat, and make it an option for online use, I'd be happy. I've gotten used to the arcade feel of the cars, still think it sucks but I made it work. Now, in my free roam time, when I want to drift I put in the slippery car cheat, however this still makes most cars too grippy (and also, has anyone noticed that the car counter steers by itself? Check the front wheel while handbraking turn !). I really hope they find a way to fix or change that, i mean, they know by now how much people think it sucks.

SickboyGNi
  • SickboyGNi

I.T Security

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

I made an account especially to express my disappointment after 5 years waiting …

• A big part of the replay value of GTA IV was learning to handle each car and the realistic driving experience, now that’s gone… 
  • The reward of driving your car fast and spotless true traffic is gone …
  • Car damage is as good as gone…
  • Controlled handbrake / speed drifts are gone of better said useless now,  just turn the stick and you’ll get the corner

‘Grand theft AUTO’ neglected the AUTO part big time , really sad.

Gta4 sold 25 million copy’s,  why change the driving part then, is 25 million not enough to know people liked it???? I know , simplify and sell a few million more to children (who aren’t supposed to play) and idiots why can’t drive/don’t want to put some effort in learning how to drive.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$  thx to the stockholders I suppose $$$$$$$ I’m really sad

I’m hoping for a download/patch for realistic driving ,pls , I’ll would pay gladly for it.

A lot of new account are posting sh*te, but this is for real. This is how I feel, the driving is not driving, it's plastic.

1) Putting on the hand break in some cars stops the car faster than applying the break.

2) You can go from top speed to stop in 1.4 secs while on a motorbike.

3) You can turn most of the high end cars on a 50 pence piece and racing them at top speed feel unnaturally fast, yet somehow completely doable, even in high traffic!

4) What the freak is this Khamelion car all about, the 'high end electric car' and do they know it's making a joke out of the game?

• silent storm likes this

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:31 PM Edited by skillz7855, 21 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

This driving is fun as hell this game actually makes drving feel more realistic. IV drving mechanics were to damn clunky and fake as hell. So i always just took Taxi in IV.

Te fact that new model cars brake better than the old cars crazy.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

i have no words to describe this game. A lot people that do like it have never played GTA IV, so they dont know how good the driving physics could have been.

Surely GTA IV could have been improved, but it was much better than the V handling. The driving isnt FUN anymore. Right,left,accelerate, and brake doesn't = fun. The cars are too trigger sensitive.

I really, really, really, really hope R* brings a huge patch later. I heard GTA IV was patched before so its possible.

Fun is subjective, I prefer the handling in V and i loved the handling in IV. They are both fun, just because you dont find it as fun as IV doesnt mean you are right. Your opinion doesnt mean more than anyone elses. Fact is, the driving in V is an improvement on IV, if Rockstar didnt think it was they would have left it alone.

This debate is futile because fun for one person may not be fun for another.

No, that is not a fact at all.  That is your own godamn opinion.  Rockstar are not infallible.

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

I was really reeeeaaaaally bummed out about the driving when I started playing last Tuesday evening. For pretty much the first day and a half that I played, I thought "So the rumors were true. R* actually did dumb GTA V's driving down to Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs levels of mediocrity. God damn it, man... what a shame." But after a couple days of constant playing, I guess I got used to it. Feels great to me now, nowhere near as clunky as SR, SD, JC etc.

Funny, I remember hating GTA IV's driving too, until after a while I eventually fell in love with it and realized how fun and empowering it was. 

BoringPedsDumbCops
  • BoringPedsDumbCops

Mark Chump

• Awaiting Authorization
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

The driving was way too easy, it feels like a low budget spinoff of Need For Speed.

Blue_spiky
  • Blue_spiky

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

http://www.change.or...o-gta-4-style-2

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

1. Why bump this sh*t thread?

2. About a tenth of the votes for the no-PC version petition, last I checked. GG driving haters.

Macabro
  • Macabro

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:14 PM Edited by Macabro, 25 September 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Whenever I see people talking about who can or can't drive based on a video game I think it's kids who arent old enough to drive yet.

Driving in a video game doesnt mean you can drive, lol.

Check you ego. You really think they changed the driving because people "aren't good drivers"?

lol.

The irony is that the whinners are acussing people of not knowing how to drive because they can't handle the new driving mechanics yet. If they did, they wouldn't say sh*t.

BTW, When is one of these driving prodigies gonna post a video of them blazing thru heavy traffic and taking corners all over without a scratch on their cars? SInce driving is so "easy" now.

Macabro
  • Macabro

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Buwaaaaaa!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:  I HATE GTAIV!! I can't travel 130 MPH and maneuver with ease!! BUWAAAA!!!! I rammed a car doing 65 MPH and my car became undrivable! BUWAAAA!!!! I can't thread the needle between these two cars doing 100 mps.
 BUWWAAAHHH!!!! Going 100 MPH, the bumps in the road make my car bounce!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now you babies should be happy. You have amateurish arcade driving.

What did you think IV was? Professional driving? lol. It's a game. 

People need to stop trying to act like they're "skilled drivers" because they can drive in a game.

Gta IV's driving wasnt that much challeging either. All you had to do was let go of the gas, turn, and step on it again.  It acted like the road was wet all the time.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

physics ruined this game period why go from gta 4 to this sh*t its like a cheap version of need for speed arcade handling you have no wheel traction at all and no suspension physics you cant even tell if you are on a rear wheel engine car unless your starting from 0km not to mention the much worse weight distribution and the motorcycle that has physics from the 90s, must have made sense to put in bicycles just to show the awsm new bike physics

multiplayer ruined already to bad they are going to put in expansions for years i guess the fat kids that never driven a real car won by whining about icy and difficult driving on IV maybe next time shoot tires youl know what icy driving is like

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Twigs are you actually retarded the physics in that "Grove Street" video didn't look any different to IV.

Can't believe I said that. I completely agree with you now, MC physics. Played IV earlier, because I'm bored of V. 

Distrom
  • Distrom

Coņo

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Lol.

After playing the game I've got no problem whatsoever with the driving. Bunch of whining pussies.

Exaclty my thoughts, the driving is fun, it feels just like GTA IV but less boat like.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:57 PM Edited by circa542, 26 September 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Lol.

Exaclty my thoughts, the driving is fun, it feels just like GTA IV but less boat like.

feels like cars have one wheel at the middle that turns 360 rest of the car just dangles around it

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Lol.

I swear I've heard that somewhere before... Oh yeah that's because it's exactly what Rockstar said. 

It's nothing like IV, you can't hold the handbrake, it releases even if you're still holding the button. You can't purposely lose traction without regaining it again after a few meters, even at high speeds. "SUVs and vans have more bodyroll than a sports car" - the slightest amount. You can't choose to leave your vehicle running when getting out, the engine always gets turned off. The tyre smoke looks worse than IV. The dirt and sand that gets kicked up when wheelspinning or sliding around offroad doesn't look half as good as IV. You can't go from high beam to low beam without cycling through the "turn lights off" option first. Theres far too many cars in general that are simply sh*t: ugly, lack performance, or both. 

That's just a few vehicle related differences I've noticed. Some may seem tiny features, but it all gets noticed when put together.

Oh abd another thing about bodyroll in V... There is none. "less boat like", yeah because you've replaced the suspension with concrete, rockstar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users