Photo

Downfall of GTA driving begins now - Car handling/physics discussion

1,265 replies to this topic
DrGreenThumb_NZ
  • DrGreenThumb_NZ

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

So you wanted Rockstar to copy and paste everything from GTA 4 like Infinity Ward does with their Call of Duties? Lmao retards.

Better than copying and pasting handling from MCLA surely?

This

And you noobs saying V handling is better, Try do a Peel out in any car, YOU CANT, you cant even do a moving line lock or keep the wheels smoking from doing drifts

The games is awesome,but car physics are a MASSIVE step backwards from IV

• Omar_DmX likes this

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 AM Edited by sonic_blue, 18 September 2013 - 05:58 AM.

we can't drift for sh*t. Not even with the slippery car cheat on.

you actually can drift very easy with the cheat on, it's just that the cheat often stops working even though it says you've turned it on.  

easiest way to tell is just foor it from standstill and if the car takes ages to get going while the wheels spin, then its on.   sadly this even happens in a tiny FWD car and 4WD's which is totally unrealistic :(

i believe that rockstar could actually redeem the car physics by offering a tweaked version of the slippery cheat and adding it as an option in the menu (eg. vehicle handling: normal / simulation).

the RWD cars handle decently with slippery cheat, but the wheelspin from standstill would need to be reduced, and the steering sensitivity to be lowered progressively as the car gains speed.   the way the cars lose traction over hills and crests is not bad with the slippery cheat.

imo it's definitely possible for the physics to be redeemed in a patch considering that slippery cheat is half way there for the RWD cars, and all it probably involves is tweaking the handling stats for each car.

if I had to take a guess, rockstar might even have a bunch of different physics presets  that they made for each car but ended up going with the "noob preset" for all of them as a conservative measure.   

• daniels likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

You people are still hating? Jesus.

Go out and buy the game, for real.

• IveGotNoValues likes this

Ermac
  • Ermac

Presented in SpittaVision®

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

This game is f*cking amazing as it is. I can't imagine how it would be with IV like handling and physics. Guess I'll just have to wait for the PC version for that.

willpsplover11
  • willpsplover11

GTA V Pilots Club

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

I want to love GTA V. However, I can't. The driving physics are terrible. If GTA V had IV's physics, this game would be golden. But, unfortunately, I can't see myself playing this game more than a few weeks. Crossing my fingers for a patch.

• GKP, Omar_DmX, esato and 1 other like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

I want to love GTA V. However, I can't. The driving physics are terrible. If GTA V had IV's physics, this game would be golden. But, unfortunately, I can't see myself playing this game more than a few weeks. Crossing my fingers for a patch.

Or you can just use the slidey cars cheat, patching the current physics would hurt a LOT more people than it'd serve.

• willpsplover11 likes this

rixsta
  • rixsta

16PSI 4X4

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

The one complain that I do have is the fact that you cant hold burnouts

DuplexHousing
  • DuplexHousing

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

I couldn't possibly feel more sad for people who can't let themselves appreciate how great these car physics are - is it perfect? No. Is it obviously more nuanced AND exciting than GTA IV's? Of course. It's less showy in its physics, but there's plenty of great and diverse driving mechanics happening under the hood throughout. A huge step forward from IV (which was a huge step forward itself), even if they still haven't nailed bike handling. The early bitching seemed dramatic, and having actually played the game all day, the whining is clearly even more baseless than I assumed it was. You want to live in the past? Your loss.

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:17 AM Edited by sonic_blue, 18 September 2013 - 06:23 AM.

Been playing it since yesterday.   Can't enjoy it because the driving, riding and flying is so crap :(

I mean what the hell did they do to the buzzard, just add a random aim all over the place?   Seems their motive is to spit in the face of all the GTA4 pilots who spent years learning how to dogfight :(

This doesn't mean the game can't be fun to play, but people play the game for different reasons.   I played GTA4 mostly as a pilot in free mode multiplayer, and to cruise around town in cars and bikes admiring the sights, doing stunts, maybe some driveby's and getting into wars with other players.  Since vehicles play such a large part in this, the physics really need to be fun and dynamic to produce the kind of scenarios that you get in GTA4.

• GKP and Blue_spiky like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Been playing it since yesterday.   Can't enjoy it because the driving, riding and flying is so crap :(

I mean what the hell did they do to the buzzard, just add a random aim all over the place?   Seems their motive is to spit in the face of all the GTA4 pilots who spent years learning how to dogfight :(

This doesn't mean the game can't be fun to play, but people play the game for different reasons.   I played GTA4 mostly as a pilot in free mode multiplayer, and to cruise around town in cars and bikes admiring the sights, doing stunts, maybe some driveby's and getting into wars with other players.  Since vehicles play such a large part in this, the physics really need to be fun and dynamic to produce the kind of scenarios that you get in GTA4.

Seriously bro, the real downfall of GTA driving would have begun if GTAV kept the GTA 4 driving, that sh*t discouraged anyone to do anything cool.

boola
  • boola

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

ITT: Opinions

Mine is, driving is much better in V

Anyone who thinks IV has better driving is wrong and thats that.

VivaSonny
  • VivaSonny

San Andreas utopian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

The downfall of GTA driving began because they ditched the classic controls

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

When IV came out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month or so of IV release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

When V came out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month of so of V release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

When VI comes out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month of so of VI release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

blah, blah, blah, repeat until the entitled people die of old age....but, then they'll be more entitled brats, so, repeat until the end of time.

The driving is fine in the game. 

• IveGotNoValues and Tampinha85 like this

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Since vehicles play such a large part in this, the physics really need to be fun and dynamic to produce the kind of scenarios that you get in GTA4.

And they pretty much are, for most people anyway. It depends on your definition of fun, whether it's the challenge involved or the feeling of speed and control.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sonny dies.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

When IV came out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month or so of IV release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

When V came out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month of so of V release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

When VI comes out: "This driving is f*ckin' crappy. f*ck you R*, you ruined GTA, you should use the previous driving physics"

After a month of so of VI release: "This driving is awesome, just took a bit to get used to. Love it."

blah, blah, blah, repeat until the entitled people die of old age....but, then they'll be more entitled brats, so, repeat until the end of time.

The driving is fine in the game. 

That's not true bro, the only thing I liked from GTA IV was their physics, and now they f*cked up the only thing I liked from the previous game.

• Tikhung likes this

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

That's not true bro, the only thing I liked from GTA IV was their physics, and now they f*cked up the only thing I liked from the previous game.

They can't please everyone.

VivaSonny
  • VivaSonny

San Andreas utopian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Sonny dies.

Whatever. Now I see why Dr House was so dreadful

Give me one coherent reason why the current controls are better and I'll compliment you

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

tumblr_lvpl9gSkZ71qkxjew.jpg

mmmfloorpie
  • mmmfloorpie

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

One thing I hate about the vehicles is the "mirror" finish on them. It looks too fake and cheesy.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

The GTA downfall isn't starting anywhere. You are just in denial. Because millions of people bought the game. If the downfall was starting, nobody would be buying the game. But since the game is selling well... No. It just shows how little people care about it. If you don't want to drive the car, there's taxi, or you could go on foot.

esato
  • esato

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:44 PM Edited by esato, 18 September 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Or you can just use the slidey cars cheat, patching the current physics would hurt a LOT more people than it'd serve.

What about a patch that add the option of 2 driving styles? Classic (IV) and Standard (V)?

Won't hurt anybody!

Let's vote, guys!

http://gtaforums.com...o-gtas-driving/

esato
  • esato

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Of course they can, 2 driving styles will please everybody, except the egoists.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Of course they can, 2 driving styles will please everybody, except the egoists.

Yes, they could make two options...

GamerToons
  • GamerToons

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

I want to chime in.

I loved the driving in IV but honestly it was flawed. Tired slid around a lot if not too much. Drifting was almost non-existant... which is realistic, but does it make it fun?

IV you'd hit a few cars and your car would be pretty messed up. Once again this is realistic, but it felt like a chore to even keep my vehicles looking nice. Keep in mind I am awesome at driving in IV. I have played IV for over 500 hours easily over the last 5 years.

When I first saw the driving in V, I was dissapointed. Cars looked too light and suspension seemed gone for the most part. When I saw crashes it didn't seem as impactful.

I have 20 hours in GTA V and I have to say Rockstar made the right choice. Cars are FUN and responsive. They don't get f***d up after two crashes anymore, you can roll around and look awesome. Driving is a godsend in this game and fun.

I almost don't even want to take a taxi in V, it's fun cruising around now without having to worry about bouncing around if you screw up on one turn. Cars feel heavy and the damage models are actually better than IV. It just takes more to damage them... which is better for gameplay.

GTA V is topnotch driving now. Cars are fast and responsive. They still get damaged like crazy. You can recover from accidents fairly quickly. Cars still  feel heavy and thick.

TL;DR

As a person who was initially skeptical of the change I can now honestly say that GTA V's driving experience is 50 times better than IV. To be honest IV's driving was flawed and we just got used to it. So maybe you should get used to V's since it isn't going away.

n11lc2
  • n11lc2

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

they should have right dpad open a selection wheel to toggle things such as traction control, stability management, headlight on/off/highbeam. another wheel could even give more options like popping open the trunk, lower/raise windows, and opening doors.(time savers, especially with multiple npcs/online players. instead of wasting time waiting for that someone to pull open a door/smash a window to start shooting

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is it just me or does the Emergency/Parking brake disengage?

The game takes over whenever you start to slide.  Takes the fun out of driving.

Cinoy
  • Cinoy

✈✈✈✈✈✈

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

i have no words to describe this game. A lot people that do like it have never played GTA IV, so they dont know how good the driving physics could have been.

Surely GTA IV could have been improved, but it was much better than the V handling. The driving isnt FUN anymore. Right,left,accelerate, and brake doesn't = fun. The cars are too trigger sensitive.

I really, really, really, really hope R* brings a huge patch later. I heard GTA IV was patched before so its possible.

• GKP likes this

ricktza
  • ricktza

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yawn, i heard this one on GTA IV...

MintBerryCrunch
  • MintBerryCrunch

It's meeeeeee!

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's highly unlikely Rockstar will patch the physics at this stage given the colossal amount of work they've put into the vehicles and all fine tuning/upgrades that affect their handling.

The majority of GTA V players (which currently totals in the millions) would need to strongly protest and be really aggressive and demanding for them to change such a huge part of the game (think about what happened with Microsoft and the XBox One - the only reason they changed it because there was a huge demand, a lot of anger and a severe threat to their sales).

I hate to burst your bubble, but so far the people who are complaining about the physics appear to be a minority when compared to those who either love it or are just neutral.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users