Photo

Downfall of GTA driving begins now - Car handling/physics discussion

1,265 replies to this topic
HeavilyArmedX
  • HeavilyArmedX

Killswitch Engaged

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

Seriously, I have missed the feel of the handling from the 3 era grand theft auto games and i have always hated the driving in Saints Row. This game has finally done just about everything right and you idiots complain because the handling does not look right in videos. Grow up people and go outside, get a Licence, get a hobbie, even a JOB. The funny thing is that Rockstar has more brains then you or any of us will ever have. They run a billion dollar company so i sure as f*ck can assure you they haven't messed up their NAME, by releasing a game that won't appeal to their fans.

HeavilyArmedX
  • HeavilyArmedX

Killswitch Engaged

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Oh, i can understand now... So, you are saying that turning the wheels, 90° in a blink of an eye is realistic? Yes yes, very realistic... (Sarcasm)

Actually I can go outside right now and turn my wheels 90 degrees in a quick enough amount of time that i could probably get it to drift. Are you forgetting this game is not real life.............This game is not real life, say it with me. The handling is suitable for this game, the handling in gta 4 was suitable for a boat simulator game.

Mr Brightside
  • Mr Brightside

Look CJ, NITRO

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Seriously, I have missed the feel of the handling from the 3 era grand theft auto games and i have always hated the driving in Saints Row. This game has finally done just about everything right and you idiots complain because the handling does not look right in videos. Grow up people and go outside, get a Licence, get a hobbie, even a JOB. The funny thing is that Rockstar has more brains then you or any of us will ever have. They run a billion dollar company so i sure as f*ck can assure you they haven't messed up their NAME, by releasing a game that won't appeal to their fans.

"Shut up you fanboy you don't know sh*t. Motorbikes can reverse up a wall which totally proves the handling is sh*t even though I haven't played the game I KNOW THIS IS THE CASE JUST FROM WATCHING IT GODAMMIT.........I hate my life" *reaches for t'gravy*

;)
  • Rayken and HeavilyArmedX like this

HeavilyArmedX
  • HeavilyArmedX

Killswitch Engaged

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

"Shut up you fanboy you don't know sh*t. Motorbikes can reverse up a wall which totally proves the handling is sh*t even though I haven't played the game I KNOW THIS IS THE CASE JUST FROM WATCHING IT GODAMMIT.........I hate my life" *reaches for t'gravy*

;)

I know, i hate these spoiled self righteous whiny bitches.

• Mr Brightside likes this

Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

At long it isn't like LA NOIRE or San Andreas, it's good for me
  • HeavilyArmedX likes this

SPEEDDRV
  • SPEEDDRV

Boss!

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

Oh, i can understand now... So, you are saying that turning the wheels, 90° in a blink of an eye is realistic? Yes yes, very realistic... (Sarcasm)

Actually I can go outside right now and turn my wheels 90 degrees in a quick enough amount of time that i could probably get it to drift. Are you forgetting this game is not real life.............This game is not real life, say it with me. The handling is suitable for this game, the handling in gta 4 was suitable for a boat simulator game.

This is not real life, and? It can't simulate it? Try to turn the wheels on GTA IV and see what they did there. Now do the same in V and you will understand what i'm saying...

HeavilyArmedX
  • HeavilyArmedX

Killswitch Engaged

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

This is not real life, and? It can't simulate it? Try to turn the wheels on GTA IV and see what they did there. Now do the same in V and you will understand what i'm saying...

COming from someone comparing GTA 5 to the game in that link.

voad1
  • voad1

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

How many people who have actually played the game are complaining about the driving? Seriously I want to see if there are any......

Not many I bet which makes the whole thing amazingly ironic.

The driving is brilliant and so realistic. I can't wait to see the reaction of this thread come tomorrow/Tuesday.

Pardon the pun, but it's a complete car crash.

If you are right I will do back flips my pc to post how wrong my impressions are. Maybe not back flips,  but I will come running and eat a sh*t ton of crow.

twigs2001
  • twigs2001

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:15 AM Edited by twigs2001, 16 September 2013 - 01:15 AM.

How many people who have actually played the game are complaining about the driving? Seriously I want to see if there are any......

Not many I bet which makes the whole thing amazingly ironic.

The driving is brilliant and so realistic. I can't wait to see the reaction of this thread come tomorrow/Tuesday.

Pardon the pun, but it's a complete car crash.

You are a complete troll, having no suspension is ever so realistic! as is a faggio claiming a mountain the same as a sanchez! LOL!

just-a-spaz
  • just-a-spaz

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

By the way... driving off the empire state building on a motorcycle in GTA IV and landing on the ground un-harmed is not very realistic. 

• Ferocious Banger likes this

SPEEDDRV
  • SPEEDDRV

Boss!

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

COming from someone comparing GTA 5 to the game in that link.

Problem? That is so realistic, just like V... Look when the car passes on the side walk. Just like V! And the wheels turning 90° in a second... Amazing!!!

JULIOOO84
  • JULIOOO84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

The driving looks fine. The driving on IV was too tough and no longer fun to play with a bunch of mates just messing around. I found myself going back to Vice City or San Andreas for that. IV wasn't appealing to just play aimlessly for fun, as it was too hard.

People want different things. As someone said above, perhaps you should find a different game if you don't like arcade style handling.

Try looking here:

http://www.drivingsims.com

Further proof of people saying the driving in IV was "too tough". So the result they wanted was easy, simplistic driving that requires NO SKILL at all, end result- GTAV.

I'm sure we've all played car games on past systems and I remember saying to myself, man these physics are really not the greatest. Now I know there were limitations with those old systems but with these new systems, especially having experienced advanced, realistic damage and physics on recent games, I really don't want to go back to yesteryear.
  • Boxman108 likes this

DuplexHousing
  • DuplexHousing

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

It's so much that it was 'too tough' as it was 'not very fun,' imo.

JULIOOO84
  • JULIOOO84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

IV's driving sucked. Roll 48 times turning a corner at 35 miles an hour. V's driving looks much more enjoyable.
/thread

Wow what an extreme exaggeration. While the handling was a bit wonky in GTAIV, it still required skill and advanced planning to execute admirable and memorable maneuvers. With V, just mash the accelerator and go high speeds into a turn and come out unscathed. Real satisfying.
  • Boxman108 likes this

naizarak
  • naizarak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

spent ~35 hours on the game, quick driving impressions:

- definitely more arcady than GTA IV, cars are more responsive and have less "weight"

- cars don't seem as fast in general

- spacing between cars in traffic has been increased. this is a huge change from IV because now it's easier to weave through traffic at full speed

- collision model is hilariously weak. it's like playing Gran Turismo 5 after Forza 4

- cars can be rolled over now after being flipped(don't remember if you could do this in IV)

- upgrades options are different per car, but are extensive overall. franklin's default car has a modable engine, turbo, transmission, brakes, armor, suspension, hood, grille, bumpers, roof, spoilers, rims, tires, paint, roll cage, exhaust, horn sounds, and probably more that im forgetting. strangely there's no way to upgrade top-end speed

- controlling your car while airborne is also easier now

- franklin's special ability might seem trivial, but can be very useful. allows you to weave through tight traffic, accelerate quickly, and change direction almost immediately

- shooting from cars feels a little clunky compared to IV. missions in general don't require you to do drive-by's anyways

overall it would be an improvement over IV if it weren't' for the gimped damage modelling

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

IV's driving sucked. Roll 48 times turning a corner at 35 miles an hour. V's driving looks much more enjoyable.
/thread

Wow what an extreme exaggeration. While the handling was a bit wonky in GTAIV, it still required skill and advanced planning to execute admirable and memorable maneuvers. With V, just mash the accelerator and go high speeds into a turn and come out unscathed. Real satisfying.

I know. The IV-haters make THE most hilariously absurd exaggerations it's ridiculous. I'm starting to think many IV-haters didn't actually play the game and are just parroting BS some other IV-hater once said.

voad1
  • voad1

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

spent ~35 hours on the game, quick driving impressions:

- definitely more arcady than GTA IV, cars are more responsive and have less "weight"

- cars don't seem as fast in general

- spacing between cars in traffic has been increased. this is a huge change from IV because now it's easier to weave through traffic at full speed

- collision model is hilariously weak. it's like playing Gran Turismo 5 after Forza 4

- cars can be rolled over now after being flipped(don't remember if you could do this in IV)

- upgrades options are different per car, but are extensive overall. franklin's default car has a modable engine, turbo, transmission, brakes, armor, suspension, hood, grille, bumpers, roof, spoilers, rims, tires, paint, roll cage, exhaust, horn sounds, and probably more that im forgetting. strangely there's no way to upgrade top-end speed

- controlling your car while airborne is also easier now

- franklin's special ability might seem trivial, but can be very useful. allows you to weave through tight traffic, accelerate quickly, and change direction almost immediately

- shooting from cars feels a little clunky compared to IV. missions in general don't require you to do drive-by's anyways

overall it would be an improvement over IV if it weren't' for the gimped damage modelling

Everything sounds terrible except for car customization.

LSSDLSPD
  • LSSDLSPD

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:26 AM Edited by LSSDLSPD, 16 September 2013 - 04:34 AM.

Why is this topic still even open... The only people saying the driving is bad is the people who haven't played the game. Every person I've seen

that plays the game says the driving is fine.

No, people who have played the game 10+ hours have said that the driving mechanics and the crash mechanics is awful. And by watching streams and gameplay you can indeed get a sense of how it is. You don´t neccesarily need to have a controller in your hand...

I agree that the crashing is a bit messed up but in some videos it looks fine. Stop complaining, wait until you play the game to judge it.

Look at this video

at 3:05 you can obviously see the wheel fall of a car when he crashes into it.

I'd say the driving looks pretty normal in that video clip. Like others have said, perhaps it depends on which character you're playing as when you drive.

If that's the case, then everyone will figure out who their favorite character to play as and everyone will be happy.

I completely agree, in fact i think this video reminded me of 4's handling.

JULIOOO84
  • JULIOOO84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

The only thing I hate is that people say that the driving is downgraded. It's not, it's just not realistic. Why? Because y'know, not everyone is a hardcore GTA player who can master GTA 4's driving mechanics. And you got warned years before, remember game informer? We got the info that driving will feel like a racing game. A RACING GAME. NOT A CAR SIMULATOR. I respect everyone's opinion, but bitching like this won't help. As the game is nearing people seem to forget all the info we go so far.

I've seen enough to say that driving in MCLA was even more realistic.

Again with further proof. "Not everyone can master GTA IV's driving mechanics". I love this, just shows why certain people want simple arcade physics as opposed to sophisticated physics, which requires skill and finesse. Why even have pressure sensitive gas and brake buttons on the controllers as opposed to simple buttons you press such as 'x or a' and the car accelerates or brakes sudden then? Why have a joy stick on the controllers to turn the cars as opposed to the d pad? With further advancements with games, we shouldn't have to revert to older styles, with certain titles of course.

GoonOnFire
  • GoonOnFire

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

I am not complaining, but after watching

I do see it.... I mean, you can really see it.

However, ripping on a Jaguar F type and an Audi R8 will ease that pain for me :D No worries here.

JULIOOO84
  • JULIOOO84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

The only thing I hate is that people say that the driving is downgraded. It's not, it's just not realistic. Why? Because y'know, not everyone is a hardcore GTA player who can master GTA 4's driving mechanics. And you got warned years before, remember game informer? We got the info that driving will feel like a racing game. A RACING GAME. NOT A CAR SIMULATOR. I respect everyone's opinion, but bitching like this won't help. As the game is nearing people seem to forget all the info we go so far.

I've seen enough to say that driving in MCLA was even more realistic.

Ditto.

Again with further proof. "Not everyone can master GTA IV's driving mechanics". I love this, just shows why certain people want simple arcade physics as opposed to sophisticated physics, which requires skill and finesse. Why even have pressure sensitive gas and brake buttons on the controllers as opposed to simple buttons you press such as 'x or a' and the car accelerates or brakes sudden then? Why have a joy stick on the controllers to turn the cars as opposed to the d pad? With further advancements with games, we shouldn't have to revert to older styles, with certain titles of course.

Remember this fake? I thought the driving was going to be exactly like this.

wELL, I actually had same hopes driving to be same as in this video...

GoonOnFire
  • GoonOnFire

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

After watching it again, it's weird.... almost like the steering contradicts itself, if that makes any sense.

You have these really tight turns your car makes that seems unavoidable, but with little traction - the ass end slides out.

Go to 4:30 in that video to see what I mean.

notgonlie
  • notgonlie

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

A lot of good points are made in this thread. To think Rockstar thought these physics were acceptable is the most unbelievable part! Just look at the video posted above. Rockstar knows what they are doing when it comes to games and the only possible reason for the change up is to make a bigger audience. If enough people complain I honestly think they will do something about it. Did anyone see that video of the motorcycle climbing a steep dirt hill in reverse. What engine is that? Mario Cart? Its 2013....

• JULIOOO84 likes this

notgonlie
  • notgonlie

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

I am not complaining, but after watching

I do see it.... I mean, you can really see it.

However, ripping on a Jaguar F type and an Audi R8 will ease that pain for me :D No worries here.

and where on earth are the people???????? I understand this is a mission but the middle of LA looks a bit empty..... 

repgreek
  • repgreek

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

This is the worst topic in existence.

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

this thread..

lol

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

I love GTA IV's driving, but I'm sure I'll get over GTA V's much more "arcadish" driving.  After all, I still love GTA SA even though it has arcadish driving.  What does worry me, however, is the severely toned down vehicle damage.  One of the most satisfying things to do in GTA IV is ramming a bus through the busy traffic of Star Junction while (poorly) singing Ludacris' song called "Move Bitch".

GoonOnFire
  • GoonOnFire

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Holy sh*t you're right! LOL! Where are the people?

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X3A8fZ4wpBM

Click link to see a cheat which puts GTA IV handling back into GTA V instead of the sh*te saints row handling and physics. 

Please note he PURPOSELY slides the car around but straight away you can see body roll, suspension, traction, weight etc etc...

There is hope!!! I just hope its a patch for day 1 release because that is the type of handling that I want (you can FEEL the vehicles again!!! phew!!)

abigor115
  • abigor115

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X3A8fZ4wpBM

Click link to see a cheat which puts GTA IV handling back into GTA V instead of the sh*te saints row handling and physics. 

Please note he PURPOSELY slides the car around but straight away you can see body roll, suspension, traction, weight etc etc...

There is hope!!! I just hope its a patch for day 1 release because that is the type of handling that I want (you can FEEL the vehicles again!!! phew!!)

I want only like 30-40 % of  that cheat and handling will be perfect !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users