leaked footage aftermath grand theft auto v article
69 replies to this topic
Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

An article I wrote over on N4G, basically summarising the aftermath for those who missed the fuss. Hopefully this is allowed? :)

Social media outlets such as Reddit, the GTAV Net forums and YouTube were exploding tonight with hype, the screams of a thousand school-girls and the understandable frothing of the loins when someone, somewhere, somehow obtained an early copy of Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar Games' upcoming, highly anticipated instalment in the Grand Theft Auto franchise has been undeniably on everyone's radar since the company - for the first time in their history - released official gameplay not only for single-player, but for Grand Theft Auto Online as well, prior to the game's launch.

Rockstar had recently issued a press release warning against the inevitable leakage that would be coming any time between now and the game's pending launch on 17 September this year. A gamer and Grand Theft Auto fan by the name of Jsticks11 on Vine and JackzahGames on YouTube took it upon himself to take screenshots and record gameplay footage before posting the media online, despite Rockstar's request against it and their warning that anything posted will be taken down immediately and swift consequences will follow.

Yesterday, image scans and photos of the official map provided in the Brady Games strategy guide arrived on the Internet and were taken down almost immediately. Gamers speculated that it served merely as foreshadowing of bigger exposures to come; and they were right.

The subsequent leaks provided gameplay footage that showcased spoilerific content that gamers across the globe viewed at their own discretion and content that was posted to Reddit as well as the GTAV Net forums were taken down almost immediately. YouTube videos are slowly, but surely being removed one-by-one and one can only imagine that the team over at Rockstar Games is jumping over chairs to make sure any and every leak is properly sealed.

According to multiple sources, speculation and insights, the gamer that provided the leaks was playing his copy of Grand Theft Auto V while signed into Microsoft's Xbox Live service and thus exposed himself to the teams at Rockstar Games and Xbox. The subsequent consequence resulted in a console ban, effective immediately.

Xbox is not clear on the results of a console ban/suspension: according to their website, their lack of explanation on this consequence is given reason. "To protect the Xbox LIVE service and its members, Microsoft does not provide details about console bans. There is no recourse for Terms of Use violations." In short, breaking the Terms and Conditions of Use (TCoU) significantly will result in either an account ban/suspension or a console ban/suspension and there is no if's and's or but's about it; they also apparently reserve the right to not explain your actions causing the penalisation or how to circumvent it.

Speculation suggests that purchasing a new Xbox 360 console will circumvent the console ban/suspension, but in the case of the person that leaked the Grand Theft Auto V content, Microsoft might have gone as far to ban/suspend not only his console, but his account and perhaps even his IP address. Needless to say, there is no circumventing that. "Customer Support for Xbox Live cannot undo an Xbox Live suspension for a console. Xbox Live console suspensions may also include permanent suspensions of Xbox Live accounts as well." There is neither confirmation nor denial of reserving the ability or right to ban/suspend a user's IP address; with that being said, purchasing a new Xbox Live subscription on a new console under a different gamertag might allow a suspended user to continue service. Otherwise, I'm afraid the man responsible for the leaks is SOL.

Rumour suggests that Rockstar Games implemented a mandatory update for Grand Theft Auto V that serves as a failsafe of sorts; when installed, the update notifies Rockstar if the update was installed before the game's official release date of 17 September, which allows them to gather the required information to contact Microsoft or Sony and follow up with a punishment for breaking the TCoU. It's not a stretch to imagine whatsoever.

With that being said, it begs the question: were the consequences worth leaking the footage? Definitely not. It seems Rockstar Games is pulling out all the stops to ensure that nothing they haven't released themselves is published online and justice, ladies and gentlemen, has been served.

Grand Theft Auto V launches officially in T-minus five days and counting, on 17 September 2013.

• grumpy cat meme, GTAboob and Baineblade like this

jimmycakes
  • jimmycakes

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Justice? Playing the game as soon as it's arrived then banning anyone who uses it? That's not called justice, it's called acting like a retard. what difference does it make to rockstar if someone films some footage? "oh we don't want to spoil it for people" STFU, if that was the case think of all the PC players or PS4 who are waiting for the game.

No they don't want footage because the car handling looks like sh*t and damage physics nonexistent.

• HaythamKenway and BettyBlueGT like this

Technetic
  • Technetic

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Justice? Playing the game as soon as it's arrived then banning anyone who uses it? That's not called justice, it's called acting like a retard. what difference does it make to rockstar if someone films some footage? "oh we don't want to spoil it for people" STFU, if that was the case think of all the PC players or PS4 who are waiting for the game.

No they don't want footage because the car handling looks like sh*t and damage physics nonexistent.

I was like ohhh i agree, then i read your closing sentence and was like  :die:

• Baineblade likes this

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Not reading all that sh*t.
  • Ziggy Jinx and So Awesome like this

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

N4G always makes me laugh. I made up a rumor on a forum and they posted it as confirmed news for a game. I was DYING laughing.

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

100 bucks says this thread will have "DIDN'T READ LOL" gifs.

Most likely. :p

Just figured I'd share it in case anyone found it interesting. I don't blame anyone for posting TL;DR replies or .gifs.

SebastianReginald
  • SebastianReginald

The Legend

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Didn't Read Lol

XPGAurora
  • XPGAurora

Player Hater

• Members

STFU, if that was the case think of all the PC players or PS4 who are waiting for the game.

Well it will be spoiled for them when the game gets released since they still won't be able to play it unless they get a Xbox 360/PS3 version so.....

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Not reading all that sh*t.

No one said you had to. ;)

Andy Wasson TKO
  • Andy Wasson TKO

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

tl;dr

• So Awesome likes this

Syntax323
  • Syntax323

Rat

• Members

Nice article. 

I guess the leaks today have brought some sort of happiness to me in such a blue day. After being in NYC on this day 12 years ago, and witnessing the most horrific act of terrorism, and fighting for my country, i'm not used to having much of a smile on 9/11. So, it was a pretty nice night, and gave my mind something else to think about.

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

This forum is full of nothing but dicks.  :karmaeater:

• jrdn7730 and Boozexlightyearxx like this

Nobitos
  • Nobitos

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Well ss much as i saw in the leaked vid there really wasnt any car dmg but i hope it was just bcs of car havin upgr armor or smthing like that.

BettyBlueGT
  • BettyBlueGT

Thug

• Members

Only an idiot buys another console from the company that banned them...

• Boozexlightyearxx likes this

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Nice article. 

I guess the leaks today have brought some sort of happiness to me in such a blue day. After being in NYC on this day 12 years ago, and witnessing the most horrific act of terrorism, and fighting for my country, i'm not used to having much of a smile on 9/11. So, it was a pretty nice night, and gave my mind something else to think about.

That's enlightening! :)

I'm glad to hear you've discovered some positive energy on a saddening day, my friend!

• jrdn7730 likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Justice?

More like DIctatorship has been installed upon your ass.

DatassGTA
  • DatassGTA

Peon

• Members

You are really bad hurt, instead of being here and bitch, how about you go an cancel your preorder? everyone wins!

Thecrazypolak
  • Thecrazypolak

Future Nobody

• Members

I think it's stupid to ban someone who bought the game... i mean he bought the game! Blame the seller!

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

JackzahGames is just reposting stuff from Jsticks11.

Syntax323
  • Syntax323

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think it's stupid to ban someone who bought the game... i mean he bought the game! Blame the seller!

Yeah, but rules are rules. ToS, something you got to follow.

Syntax323
  • Syntax323

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Nice article. 

That's enlightening! :)

I'm glad to hear you've discovered some positive energy on a saddening day, my friend!

Thanks ;)

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O

Tell A.W.E.S.O.M.-O all your most personal secrets

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Yea... i think i get the gist.. whoa 9/11 man so cool it's like wow. it was planed all long... like rockstar made sure to give two niggas the game to f*cking leak it.. yea like GTA...wait.. GTA.. oh my god! Grand theft plane.. 9/11.. omg it's all adding up.. R* caused 9/11.

• a111, a222, a333 and 6 others like this

NickStone
  • NickStone

My member doesn't have a title.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:45 AM Edited by NickStone, 12 September 2013 - 06:55 AM.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya. Rockstar themselves spread these "leaks" to create more hype. As if that were possible. Geez, we're already foaming at the mouths here; what do they wanna do, give us a heart attack before we actually fork over our money?

Just kidding, but not really.

Had it been me, first thing I woulda done was turned off PS3's network connection. It's obvious the game would send a signal of SOME kind to the server (it checks for updates at the very beginning), and that they'd be watching for that. And I'd be nice about it and not share jack sh.. with anyone.

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

This is what happens to spastic freaks who can't wait 4 more days for the game to be released. Now he'll have to buy a new xbox and make a new account. 

• Baineblade likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yea... i think i get the gist.. whoa 9/11 man so cool it's like wow. it was planed all long... like rockstar made sure to give two niggas the game to f*cking leak it.. yea like GTA...wait.. GTA.. oh my god! Grand theft plane.. 9/11.. omg it's all adding up.. R* caused 9/11.

Damn.. that's an A.W.E.S.O.M. theory :D

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:51 AM Edited by Vesper, 12 September 2013 - 06:56 AM.

Guys, just to point out, the whole "justice has been served" bit was my piece of writing. Let's not jump at each other for something I myself said. :p

However, I don't believe it's "justice" per sei, that he received a ban for playing a game he purchased, but for doing so before the game was supposed to be released and uploading footage despite the request against it by the developer and the fact that Rockstar gave fair warning about the consequences for doing so. I also believe that whomever sold him the game before they were supposed to should suffer a fair punishment as well.

If someone gives you something and says, "Don't open until Christmas or suffer a consequence" when Christmas is four days away and you do not honour the request...well, you were warned.

Just my two cents; please take it with a grain of salt. :)

• Baineblade likes this

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:55 AM Edited by Gigabomber, 12 September 2013 - 06:56 AM.

I'm pretty sure it's just an account ban. I love the conspiracy parts of your theory though.

Baineblade
  • Baineblade

Tac. Ops.

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Only an idiot buys another console from the company that banned them...

Well, considering he committed the offense despite a fair warning from Rockstar of the consequences, I'd say he's fairly far within the boundaries of idiocy and I wouldn't put it too far outside the realm of possibility. 

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'm pretty sure it's just an account ban. I love the conspiracy parts of your theory though.

Actually, I did my research; it's a console ban. According to the Xbox Support subsection regarding Terms and Conditions violations, the message that appeared on his console (as shown in his Vine video) is the message that's displayed when a console is banned/suspended.

Vashter
  • Vashter

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

He will be only person in the world 1st to do all of that stuff... How the f*cking hell he end up getting the game? He doesn't look like he working for some video game store or some kinda "reviewer" either... it a figging local person like us waiting on the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users