» «
Photo

Feminism and GTA

136 replies to this topic
Epsimrove
  • Epsimrove

Forest Stalker

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:47 AM Edited by Epsimrove, 12 September 2013 - 12:47 AM.

Honestly what this comes down to is people not understanding that women do not fit those roles well since they wouldn't in real society. Should we make war games where the next global conflict is fought entirely by women with men in the industry sure but it wouldn't be perceived well since it isn't the reality of how our society functions.

Hardline_Pro
  • Hardline_Pro

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Playable women wouldn't work well in a game like GTA V which is marketed towards misogynists.

RastaMentality
  • RastaMentality

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

Besides, you'll have better luck getting laid if you peddle you're douchebag bullsh*t at a Hillary Clinton rally. 

Wow clever

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

I'm not stupid. I'm well aware of how there is always going to be a lack of representation for some minority group, and this goes for all aspects of media within western society, but to not even strive towards some improvement is just plain ignorance. As a white privileged male, its my f*cking duty to speak out, especially in predominantly male spaces such as this, and when I see inexcusable and unapologetic misogyny like you have all shown. You would never speak to your mothers like the way you have done on this forum. You seriously disgust me. 

Leave it to a white man to tell everyone how things should be.

You presume I'm a white cis man lol

I'm not telling anyone to do this or that. I'm having a conversation and speaking out against discrimination, something that you clearly cannot grasp.

I wonder why id presume that :blink:

• IAMSHUGO likes this

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

this is awesome. I've seen two women crap all over this female protag thing, and may be 1 in 50 dudes who are supportive of this stuff. Most likely, the poster of this thread is a sock puppet who probably belongs to some group that's going to boycott R*.

No I'm still buying gta v. I don't think me choosing not to buy a game because I disagree with one aspect of their approach would make a difference at all. I just think its something that should be at least spoken about

1230937027008866348057.gif

Arrowtotheface
  • Arrowtotheface

Dan

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

OP got REKT
  • IAMSHUGO likes this

x_CrazyBuns_x
  • x_CrazyBuns_x

Crazy Bunny Lady >_<"

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

In light of this conception that women don't "fit" into the criminal scene generally <_< I'm on my way to steal that new V.B Perfume I've been debated on for past 3 weeks.. >:3

Back on topic though I respect the OP's opinion and his right to express it, I just personally see it as a little unwarranted, things like games, movies and books like I said are in a way peoples visions or imagination created constructively. Similar to Artists in a lot of ways, at least to me :D

• IAMSHUGO likes this

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm not telling anyone to do this or that. I'm having a conversation and speaking out against discrimination, something that you clearly cannot grasp.

You really have no f*cking idea what discrimination is. 

I'm well aware of my privilege. I know how I'm perceived by most people in society, and I know that I have opportunities in life that stem directly from that. But please don't assume that because I may appear a certain way, that I've never experienced discrimination. I was on the receiving end of misogyny for 24 years of my life, and I will face transphobia for the rest of my life.
I may not belong to an ethnic minority but I'm well aware of what discrimination is.

INEEDVNOW
  • INEEDVNOW

Homie

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Eat a ni**er stop wining blurgh poof dadaaaa

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

Look, if you're calling yourself a feminist, then you aren't really saying anything about equality. Feminism is political ideology that hasn't been about equality since the Suffrage.

Drwho94
  • Drwho94

Time Disruption

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

You really have no f*cking idea what discrimination is. 

I'm well aware of my privilege. I know how I'm perceived by most people in society, and I know that I have opportunities in life that stem directly from that. But please don't assume that because I may appear a certain way, that I've never experienced discrimination. I was on the receiving end of misogyny for 24 years of my life, and I will face transphobia for the rest of my life.
I may not belong to an ethnic minority but I'm well aware of what discrimination is.

If you think that one game company not including a female protag is discrimination you really have no f*cking idea what discrimination is and no f*cking sob story will make me believe different. 

What do you do complain to every game dev because you aren't playing as a little girl in your games?

• GTAfan4life12 likes this

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

"I'm well aware of my privilege."

And there you go, this guy probably also believes that white people are inherently racist in the same way that people used to believe that women and blacks were inferior. They couldn't prove it, it just was a fact.

leon3789
  • leon3789

Square Civilian

• Members

OP, this is not the right place or thing to speak about this topic. I would seriously suggest looking elsewhere for this topic. 

I would also suggest looking for something more meaningful to use. There are so many other areas of our world where women are looked down at, areas that effect actual people, not just a video game. 

liesch
  • liesch

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

if they put homos and a hoe protagonist i aint buying the next gta lmfao.

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

Look, if you're calling yourself a feminist, then you aren't really saying anything about equality. Feminism is political ideology that hasn't been about equality since the Suffrage.

You really want to get into a fight about the various waves of feminism on a post about female protagonists in gta?.. because we'll be here all day.

Theres a huge difference between the word 'feminism' and how its viewed these days in pop culture, and then those who actually want equality. These days everyone has a different version of what feminism is and thats f*cked up. Its not like I walk down the street everyday with it tattooed on my forehead. I'm not some self proclaimed social justice warrior. I was just offended by the 'oh yeah female protag doing missions in their kitchen', 'i dont trust a thing that bleeds for 7 days and doesnt die' bullsh*t and wanted to try and say something a bit more productive.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

And I'm not trying to be clever. Real men don't oppress women or infantilize them, so when I hear some beta douchebag talking about how he wants to help all the poor weak little girls, I call him on it. Douchebag trying to get laid.

INEEDVNOW
  • INEEDVNOW

Homie

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Legit homo thread swag
  • liesch likes this

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

Delete this f*cking thread already. 3 pages of some dude's personal gender issues. WTF.

IAMSHUGO
  • IAMSHUGO

Gettin jiggy wit it.

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

I'll say it again:

Equal rights in entertainment doesn't mean fitting every gender and race into a single series. It means giving them a chance to be allowed or denied that role. 

--------

You've made your point. What are you trying for now by continuing this "discussion?"

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

And I'm not trying to be clever. Real men don't oppress women or infantilize them, so when I hear some beta douchebag talking about how he wants to help all the poor weak little girls, I call him on it. Douchebag trying to get laid.

When the f*ck did I say that I think women need me saving them? Gender equality isn't a women's only issue, its for all genders. Thats part of the f*cking problem. Oh men shouldn't say jack sh*t about that, and if you do then you must be a homo. stfu you fool.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

You really want to get into a fight about the various waves of feminism on a post about female protagonists in gta?.. because we'll be here all day.

Theres a huge difference between the word 'feminism' and how its viewed these days in pop culture, and then those who actually want equality. These days everyone has a different version of what feminism is and thats f*cked up. Its not like I walk down the street everyday with it tattooed on my forehead. I'm not some self proclaimed social justice warrior. I was just offended by the 'oh yeah female protag doing missions in their kitchen', 'i dont trust a thing that bleeds for 7 days and doesnt die' bullsh*t and wanted to try and say something a bit more productive.

Um, no. Equality or freedom are concepts that don't require any flavor of feminism to exist. And the fact that you freely admit that feminism is a modern Tower of Babel, tells me you aren't really thinking things through. What then does it mean to say that you're a male feminist, but who know's what the f*ck that is? And FYI, I hate feminism, when I want to piss feminists off I say things that will piss feminists off. That's how insults work. I game with women, I've been lead by women in gaming and I work with women ALL the time. I have a modicum of respect for women, i.e. I think they can do things for themselves so I'm not interested in being a white knight is GTAV. Quite the opposite.

• Moonshield and IAMSHUGO like this

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 AM Edited by NYdreamz, 12 September 2013 - 01:18 AM.

i always wanted a female to be the main character in GTA......

i say next gen is the perfect time .. seeing as call of duty is now introducing females into the battefield and gears added females on the field a few years ago... its gonna time every game starts doing it.... and i think gta is next.... so in the next 5 or 6 years ..

i have this vision (not that it means anything) that gta VI will be back in vice city starring a cuban female..... and thing is with this 3 character role gta 5 has.... if this pattern with 2 or 3 main characters continues. ... than i dont see whats the problem with having one of them as a female.....

if anybody has ever played metal gear.... than you should know that female characters could be just as dominate as the males....

• xymrn likes this

GTAfan4life12
  • GTAfan4life12

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:18 AM Edited by GTAfan4life12, 12 September 2013 - 01:19 AM.

I see more misogynist attitude is in the op words then anything else. Also lack of understanding that GTA is parody of politics and culture. I'm offended with this need to restrict freedom and artistic expression to fit his model of the world. Least of all over something petty when women are beaten and beheaded in parts of the world and denied the most basic of human rights like Saudi Arabia.
541388_291620287636914_2115338755_n.jpg

• Moonshield, JustOneMonth and El Tel like this

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

what's wrong with being a homosexual? Why do you call them homo? Again, I could care less, but I'm not the one claiming to be Mr. Sensitive. Misogyny not cool, homophobia, f*ck yeah!??? Seriously? And again, Burt Reynolds was a womanizer.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

What an annoying dick, lets try to let this tread die... 

:facedesk:

Pro wrestler
  • Pro wrestler

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

The criminal world is a male world. It will take some work to pull it off and make a female protagonist seem realistic. I am sure that it would backlash since portraying women as criminals might cause just as much controversy.

I think there are plenty of anti-sexism in the GTA series however. I come to think of 'America's Top Hooker' with the slogan "It's time to judge women again!" which is clearly social criticism against beauty fixated shows on TV.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

"i always wanted a female to be the main character in GTA......"

See, this is demand. NYDreamz actually wants to play as female protagonist and if he can get more people to increase the demand then market forces will bend. The only thing I hear from the manginas is "Don't you think you're a knuckledragging sexist if you don't a want female protaganist?" The feminists are artificially attempting to create demand by forcing guys to admit they're sexist because they don't support their political ideology.

Setrakus
  • Setrakus

The Strategist.

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Theres a female running for Governern in GTA V (which looks like the obvious choice to vote for imo), That's enough female authortity a game based around crime needs.

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

I honestly don't see women being portrayed as just eye candy in games like they used to be. Sure, there are still games like DOA but that's more of an exception than the rule at this point. TLOU, Mass Effect, Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed etc... are all demonstrating that the developers and writers are more and more interested in quality and expression than anything else.

TBH, I would actually MUCH prefer to have a female protag than Franklin. Trevor and Michael will undoubtedly have an awesome story arc that I'm really looking forward to but I just can't help to feel like "been there done that as CJ."

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

Theres a female running for Governern in GTA V (which looks like the obvious choice to vote for imo), That's enough female authortity a game based around crime needs.

Not to mention female cops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users