Quantcast

» «
Photo

Feminism and GTA

136 replies to this topic
TimeLordDoctor
  • TimeLordDoctor

You are pulling down heaven and raising up a whore!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

QTYNT.gif

• JustOneMonth likes this

Drwho94
  • Drwho94

Time Disruption

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Oh and the reason that most girls in GTA are prostitutes and strippers because in the criminal world that's what they do.

#Deal With It

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Good luck, OP. I would just bail out of this clusterf*ck while you still have your sanity, though. You're dealing with a mostly young male demographic not exactly renowned for healthy interpersonal skills, after all. You'll find that they will clutch on to their strawmans, specious "facts," and just plain ignorance of the academic subject matter and never, ever let go for even one single thoughtful moment.

• Rown, JustOneMonth and xymrn like this

HiddenStreet
  • HiddenStreet

Super Villain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:28 AM Edited by HiddenStreet, 12 September 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Rockstar has used a protagonist (main installment, DLC, or otherwise) as:

white (American and British)
black (CJ, Vick Vance, and Franklin)
Hispanic (Luis)
Italian (Tony)
Russian (Niko)
Asian (Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars)
FEMALE (Katie, Mikki and Divine from Grand Theft Auto 1)

They've even gone across social classes with wealthy characters like Michael to poor characters like Trevor.

Lack of diversity my ass.
  • Moonshield and JustOneMonth like this

Strani
  • Strani

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

GTA is played all over the world. What's a minority in the US may be a majority elsewhere. It's actually really arrogant to consider white people 'the majority'.

Since the 3D universe, GTA has had protagonists of Italian, Afro-American, Eastern European and latin roots. You just completely ignored these.

And 'queer' as you called it.. what about Gay Tony as a supporting character who even had an entire expansion named after him?

As for women; How on earth would it be a good thing for women to be portrayed in a game as stealing, murdering and drug-dealing characters? Have you even played GTA? You really think female characters are going to help the feminist cause?

Please, fight your battle elsewhere, where it actually matters. Fight against women not getting paid the same as men or against women being forced into submission in some nations. Not against women not being included in videogames about crime, for crying out loud.

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

OP raises some good points, but at the end of the day, this isn't politics. We aren't talking about civil rights. We aren't talking about job place equality, economic equality, social equality, we're talking about a videogame. At the end of the day, it's no different than a feminist complaining that a world famous artist (who only paints pictures/sculptures of masculine figures/men) is not making art representing women.

This is the absolute worst way to convince Rockstar to include a woman as a main protagonist. Again, it's a videogame (artwork) not politics. So equality is pretty irrelevant.

To compare videogames to fine art in terms of representation is crazy! A fine artist chooses to make the work that they want, granted. But their visibility is determined by a corporate art world. Its not been until the last few decades that art work tackling themes of gender, masculinity, femininity etc has been given any real platform. The gaming world is completely different because its not being creative for the sake of pure self expression. A game will not be made because one singular artist decided that they wanted to create it. It gets made through a corporate machine, and women aren't going to be represented in a fairer way until the big wigs decide to do that. Its not the audience that dictates what is made, its the people in positions of power like R* that tell the consumer what is good and fun and worthwhile, just like the art world done for women's rights.

Epsimrove
  • Epsimrove

Forest Stalker

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 AM Edited by Epsimrove, 12 September 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Good luck, OP. I would just bail out of this clusterf*ck while you still have your sanity, though. You're dealing with a mostly young male demographic not exactly renowned for healthy interpersonal skills, after all. You'll find that they will clutch on to their strawmans, specious "facts," and just plain ignorance of the academic subject matter and never, ever let go for even one single thoughtful moment.

Criminal activity is primarily a male demographic and it is vehemently sexist, deal with it.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Four days now... Will Online have posses anyone?

Now on topic, feminist protag would cause sh*tstorm and it wouldn´t be nice.

Stay classy tread!

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

It's been a long time.. but I've been waiting for the exact perfect time to use this gif and I have found it.

berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

Leave it to a white man to tell everyone how things should be.

RastaMentality
  • RastaMentality

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:31 AM Edited by RastaMentality, 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

-snip-

Epsimrove
  • Epsimrove

Forest Stalker

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

Black males can and will do the exact same, welcome to reality.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Criminal activity is primarily a male demographic and it is vehemently sexist, deal with it.

See, OP? This guy just thinks he made a cogent point. Have fun in this mire.

Adecool
  • Adecool

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

A female protag wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, especially in such a hardcore story based game like GTA. 

Epsimrove
  • Epsimrove

Forest Stalker

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

See, OP? This guy just thinks he made a cogent point. Have fun in this mire.

And all you can do to refute it is spout some rhetoric.

LadyFondou
  • LadyFondou

High-Life

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Nice try OP 4/10 troll, no stars though.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

this is awesome. I've seen two women crap all over this female protag thing, and may be 1 in 50 dudes who are supportive of this stuff. Most likely, the poster of this thread is a sock puppet who probably belongs to some group that's going to boycott R*.

ACR
  • ACR

Finger f*ck bitches with Freddy Krueger gloves on.

• Members
  • China

Seriously OP just

tumblr_m77j0fOg4j1rzjlc4o1_500.gif

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

GTA is played all over the world. What's a minority in the US may be a majority elsewhere. It's actually really arrogant to consider white people 'the majority'.

Since the 3D universe, GTA has had protagonists of Italian, Afro-American, Eastern European and latin roots. You just completely ignored these.

And 'queer' as you called it.. what about Gay Tony as a supporting character who even had an entire expansion named after him?

As for women; How on earth would it be a good thing for women to be portrayed in a game as stealing, murdering and drug-dealing characters? Have you even played GTA? You really think female characters are going to help the feminist cause?

Please, fight your battle elsewhere, where it actually matters. Fight against women not getting paid the same as men or against women being forced into submission in some nations. Not against women not being included in videogames about crime, for crying out loud.

Its not ignorance whatsoever. If you want to go by that logic, if you were to add up every single population that falls within minority groups then they would have a larger number than the sum of white privileged men. But its irrelevant whilst it is those men that run the corporate world, and where does the white corporate world come from? The states.

I wasn't ignoring those characters either. I'm talking about a lead character.

And being a gay man does not automatically make you 'queer'. He never once stated that he was queer. You clearly don't have a clue what the word means.

As for women; why the hell would it be a bad thing for them to be portrayed as stealing, murdering and drug dealing characters? The only bad thing that would come out of that is idiots calling her a lesbian because she chooses to function within a widely male populated circle.

I'm not fighting, I'm discussing. And this discussion matters in all places of society where there are people being blatantly discriminatory.

IAMSHUGO
  • IAMSHUGO

Gettin jiggy wit it.

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:40 AM Edited by IAMSHUGO, 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM.

1. Rockstar makes fun of everything and everyone. No exceptions.  It's like a comedian in game dev form: not meant to be taken seriously - just go with it. Stereotypes are what drive the series.

2. If you're trying to reason with people, you chose the wrong forum. There are some people willing to have a conversation, but most are just little trolls with nothing better to do.

3. Equal rights in entertainment doesn't mean fitting every gender and race into a single series. It means giving them a chance to be allowed or denied that role. 

4. There are plenty of strong females in the GTA series, anyway. Catalina, Kate, Elizabeta, Michelle, Kendl.   To name a few.  Only difference is, you don't play as them.  AND THAT'S OKAY!  We don't need to play as Chop to like him or other dogs. 

5. "You make me sick" is no way to approach any matter you deem important. It makes you out to be an arrogant "holier-than-thou" prick. Good luck being taken seriously. 

• Moonshield, leon3789 and JustOneMonth like this

HiddenStreet
  • HiddenStreet

Super Villain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

OP, read my post (#34). Rockstar has done a pretty swell job at diversifying the racial/social base of their protagonists throughout the series. If you've ever played GTA 1 (top down era) you'd know they included female protagonists.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:40 AM Edited by JustOneMonth, 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

You. You are trying to flip this forum opinion on how evil we are for not suporting something we dont want in a game, not in real life. I think you need to come to reality, seeing as you arguments are really uncalled for in this, and the fun fact is that no woman is suporting you. Because they are not even the target - audience of the game. Games are NOT like movies, you expect to have a female protag for what? Boobs physics? Nothing is sexyst here, only you, wanting to have a stereotyped female thug.

Tl;Dr : GTFO. ITS JUST A GAME. lame trolling is just so cliché.

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

You presume I'm a white cis man lol

I'm not telling anyone to do this or that. I'm having a conversation and speaking out against discrimination, something that you clearly cannot grasp.

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

We don't want equality cause if we did everyone would have to work harder for what they have instead of having easy ways into things based on age,race,gender. Plus if we had equality we'd just discriminate against people based on their hair color or something stupid,its human nature. We dont want to be equal, equality is for underachievers who blame others for their failures.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM Edited by sinceGTAIII, 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

You know Burt Reynolds was a womanizer right? I like The Bandit, but I'm not one bragging about being a feminist.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

hvwe28.jpg.gif

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Can you just be the homosexual / nonsexual / whatever you are and enjoy the f*cking game without trying to spread your liberal rhetoric?

This isn't the forum for that sh*t.

sinceGTAIII
  • sinceGTAIII

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Besides, you'll have better luck getting laid if you peddle you're douchebag bullsh*t at a Hillary Clinton rally. 

Drwho94
  • Drwho94

Time Disruption

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

You presume I'm a white cis man lol

I'm not telling anyone to do this or that. I'm having a conversation and speaking out against discrimination, something that you clearly cannot grasp.

You really have no f*cking idea what discrimination is. 

xymrn
  • xymrn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

this is awesome. I've seen two women crap all over this female protag thing, and may be 1 in 50 dudes who are supportive of this stuff. Most likely, the poster of this thread is a sock puppet who probably belongs to some group that's going to boycott R*.

No I'm still buying gta v. I don't think me choosing not to buy a game because I disagree with one aspect of their approach would make a difference at all. I just think its something that should be at least spoken about

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users