Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA IV handling is way more far realistic and better.

GTA IV GTA V Vehicle Handling GTA GTA Forums
480 replies to this topic
Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

arcade physics - it's the same as if you're playing on precision instrument with a single string. And your song will be a primitiveMore realistic physics - it's like a piano, and you can play Millon variants of different music and moods

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

They f*cking ruined the game by putting the MC:LA crew behind the driving of GTA V...

>Smash into a 1970s station wagon going 120 mp/h
>Small dents and scratches

• wolfyyy likes this

M_Redfield
  • M_Redfield

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Everything I've seen for V in terms of driving/flying looks perfect. Every vehicle has a weight to it, and SUVs no longer flip over at 5mph around a corner. When the engine is damaged, you can no longer drive balls-out like in GTA IV, a huge step up. 

It's a perfect balance for a game like GTA. Not too real, not too fake. Especially since you can upgrade both the vehicle AND your driving skills, there has to be a lot of room for improvement in both areas, so that when you first start, everything is going to feel sloppy and heavy.

answer : 

That`s not 5mph, which is about the speed it happens in the game. Hell, it can happen ground around an off-camber corner at even slower speeds. 

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:52 AM Edited by gta5freemode4eva, 15 September 2013 - 08:54 AM.

ivdriving.gif

Realistic my ass.

That .gif is pure bullsh*t, that guy is either TERRIBLE at the game like most IV haters and is INTENTIONLLY swerving like a goddamn idiot to make the physics look bad.

It's pure propaganda at its finest. Lies all the way down.

If you jam the gas and swerve like an utter idiot in a piece-of-sh*t 80's sedan the thing's going to start sliding.

I like how people are quoting this gif as BAD...

This car HAS GOT suspenion, weight, traction, BODY ROLL, gravity is being applied to the game as a whole... 

The guys IS clearly swerving the car ffs. 

GTA V has got none of this. It looks like a load of boxes that are absent of any charcateristics such as weight, traction, suspension, power, brakes, gravity, body roll etc etc... its just horrible.

R* have made this game so kids can 'control' their cars without having to worry about road position, speed, traction, weight of the car, suspension, direction of power/car/weight etc etc...(yes thats right kids... just because your car is facing 10 degrees to the left it doesn't mean the weight is directed there instantly or the grip etc, its called PHYSICS)...

The handling and physics in GTA 5 are utter utter trash. It's a joke.

I hope another company come on the scene and give us GTA V but with GTA 4s' handling and physics. This would be a 10/10 game.

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

Where is my mind?

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

What the f*ck, Rockstar?

I Hope there is Day One patch.

Please!PLEASE!

f*cking SA Fanboy Whining about GTA IV's Handling.

MikeyBye
  • MikeyBye

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

I've not played GTAV yet but I don't care what anyone says the driving looks pathetic an all because people who were awful at driving on GTA IV complained, the new physics make the driving look a joke and the turning looks like a rollercoaster corner, fair enough I haven't played it but i've seen enough leaked driving videos to see the driving is like midnight club, go any further it'll be like LA NOIRE, understandably the driving on GTA IV weren't for everyone, but maybe GTA V could have had an an option between the GTA IV and the new physics in the game settings might have been a good idea to suit everyone, not sure if its something Rockstar could do in a future game update but it allow everyone to enjoy it more, because the next GTA (if there is one) is no doubt-ably gonna have another driving physics change because of complaints on this new one

Feel free to disagree but had to give my opinion aswell, I know alot of people of happy with this new one but I just think its gonna spoil the year and a half wait for the game 

• Tikhung likes this

ramtastic
  • ramtastic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:20 AM Edited by ramtastic, 15 September 2013 - 10:20 AM.

This is something that's never going to be solved, not everyone will be happy whatever they decide to do. 

I will say though that IV's handling felt half-assed. Sure they got things like body roll and weight distribution implemented, but not fully and other parts of the real life equation were missing:

- All the large cars drove like they had no shock absorbers, bouncing around like hell.
- Sports cars with supposedly tighter chassis and suspension STILL suffered from body roll
- If you were going over 30 mph you would understeer- believable if you're in an suv, not so much in a sports car
- Every single vehicle handled like a RWD car (even if it had FWD)

Not to say that V will be perfect, I don't expect such a game to give a true-to-life driving experience, but like everyone, I won't know until I get my hands on the game.

Prof. K
  • Prof. K

"Welcome to Paradise"

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:34 AM Edited by Prof. K, 15 September 2013 - 10:39 AM.

I waited 5 years.... I will try to enjoy this game

goathead
  • goathead

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

The physics being right or wrong aside..

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that accelerate (R2) can't be re-assigned to x???????

celozzip
  • celozzip

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that accelerate (R2) can't be re-assigned to x???????

yes you are. that makes no sense at all.

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yes. Why the f*ck would you want to accelerate with X? With R2 you can choose how much you want to accelerate...

Powner811
  • Powner811

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Okay, I don't get why people keep saying it's like Saints Row. Have you guys PLAYED Saints Row? I have. Three of them, in fact.

In Saints Row, cars aren't really cars. The camera is locked dead behind the rear, which makes handling feel very odd. Cars pretty much never skid or fishtail even a little (GTA V has fishtailing even in supercars, though not like in GTA IV where even a minor flaw in your turn at road speeds would cause a spinout). The most skidding you get is an intentional drift, which is more of a sideways slide than a drift. There's pretty much no flipping even if you try it intentionally: in Saints Row 3 I've actually seen cars suddenly flipped onto their wheels with momentum they didn't have when they started rolling, as if God himself reached down to reset your car. All damage is completely pre-done (and armoring your cars means that you can slam an exotic sports car at maximum speed into a solid wall and suffer absolutely zero visible damage).

Also, people who think GTA IV was realistic haven't actually seen or done high-speed driving or stunt driving. It worked at low speeds or for long, sweeping turns. At relatively fast speeds, it fell apart completely. Cars have very little traction in turns, to the point where a 40 mile per hour turn tends to result in a fishtail or spinout. Especially in the tight confines of Liberty City, supercars have little purpose when you can only maintain high speed for a few seconds before you need to slow down or risk smashing into something. Actual drifts (rather than barely controlled sideways slides) are almost impossible without a handling mod; the fact that you need to mod the game for proper handling should tell you something about the realism. Cars only feel like they have weight because they have a lot of body roll and turn slowly at speed; even a lightweight convertible can smash a pickup out of the way if its collision is at the right location (usually a corner) and will gladly keep on going.

Now let's assume that GTA IV driving is truly realistic. That is exactly how real cars drive.

......why is that a good thing?

It's not fun to fishtail and spin wildly on freeway bends because you didn't slow to 30 miles per hour beforehand. It's not fun to hit the gas and try to turn to escape, only to spin 180 degrees to a halt. Fun overrides strict, true-to-life realism.

It reminds me of the people whining about car damage, saying stuff like "If you hit that wall at that speed for real, you would be totaled. Canceling pre-order." You would HATE that kind of realism if you actually had it! Do you really want to completely total your car and fail a mission or die because you made a single mistake and crashed?

If the car is totally destroyed, not necessarily the character must get to the hospital, it's GTA. I want a devastating accident, but does not bother me, If a game character will come out of the car, was not injured

You talk NOW about how it wouldn't bother you. Now think about all the times you've played GTA, both sandbox and in missions, and how many times you've had a serious accident. Races, car chases, police pursuits, etc. How many crashes do you think you had that, in reality, would have completely shut down the car forever?

Would you like for every one of those crashes to result in an instant loss? For a single t-bone from a random car at an intersection to mean "Sorry, bad luck. Try again"?

I want to set-up was difficult for driving physics and damage.Let's online will be the general rules, but offline I host the game and I want to play by their rules.Yes, I want my car suffered serious injuries was immobilized to an offline game injuries were present powerful, realistic inertia and weight (present, not in the career and missions and in free mode)I want it to be like this mod:

ok, the reason why i say its like saints row is because of the way the car just moves violently when u move the analog stick, its too easy lol ok and look at the modding of the cars, there is no way you can tell me that they didnt just high jack that from saintsrow, GTAV has the deepest graphics i wont argue about that but its just like a san andreas remake with added bits, like a next gen dlc for san andreas..

Modding of the cars highjacked from Saints Row? Where is your evidance to prove your claim, how long has SR been in development compared to GTA V? Dumbass.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

This is something that's never going to be solved, not everyone will be happy whatever they decide to do. 

I will say though that IV's handling felt half-assed. Sure they got things like body roll and weight distribution implemented, but not fully and other parts of the real life equation were missing:

- All the large cars drove like they had no shock absorbers, bouncing around like hell.
- Sports cars with supposedly tighter chassis and suspension STILL suffered from body roll
- If you were going over 30 mph you would understeer- believable if you're in an suv, not so much in a sports car
- Every single vehicle handled like a RWD car (even if it had FWD)

Not to say that V will be perfect, I don't expect such a game to give a true-to-life driving experience, but like everyone, I won't know until I get my hands on the game.

No, front drive cars in gta4 driving like a real FWD correctly. eg "Blista compact"

tenpennyisplainevil
  • tenpennyisplainevil

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

What you saw were probably more trolls trying to make the game look bad by customising cars to have sucky handling (just like they applied armour to their cars and proceeded to claim that head-on collisions would result in minor dents and scratches, while without armour it was just like IV).

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes. Why the f*ck would you want to accelerate with X? With R2 you can choose how much you want to accelerate...

It's called options? IV had classic and now they're gone in a game where you don't even have to control anything.

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'm not a fan of IV's handling. Too much body roll, even at slower speeds. When you were "steering" it felt like you were slowly pulling the wheel. If I was trying to hit a turn a a high rate of speed I'm pulling the wheel pretty fast so I don't have to slow down to 15 Mph to hit it. I'm so stoked about the new handling,

DRN94
  • DRN94

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

I believe the simplified driving physics may be meant to save the consoles' hardware resources for other elements of the game.  You can't have crazy awesome driving physics and have tons of other civilian cars on screen. You have to lose some to win some.  I think it was a mixture of making the driving more "approachable" as well as saving the consoles resources to make improvements else where.

I think it's too early to complain when you haven't played it for yourself, me included.  Just keep an open mind, don't let the driving completely ruin the awesome experience of playing a NEW Grand Theft Auto!  And if push comes to shove, I think Rockstar would be more than happy to patch the driving mechanics.  So just stop ruining the experience for yourself and be happy of all the hard work a bunch of strangers did for you for only $60 bucks (one 8 hour shift at minimum wage on your part).  As far as I'm concerned, GTA V is the gaming bargain of the century. 

roym899
  • roym899

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I often have the feeling that most people complaining don't even drive in reallife and still complain about something being less realistic. GTA IVs handling was NOT very realistic. Is was very boat like. The cars were way to light and started to drift way to easy.

GTA Vs handling is a lot more realistic. If it's better is your personal taste. But complaining about it being less realisitic is stupid and wrong.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's called options? IV had classic and now they're gone in a game where you don't even have to control anything.

Somebody answered a post of mine earlier stating that there are different controller configuration options for "on foot" and "in car" control. I don't mind the accelerator on the right trigger, but I really despise the fact that the brakes are on the left trigger. It's just horrible trying to apply the brakes with the left forefinger whilst trying to steer the analogue stick with the left thumb at the same time. It would have made more sense to have the brakes on RB than LT.

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

It's not exactly simplification. What is easy for some is hard for others. 

Arcade driving is simplification because arcade driving does not punish you for failing to anticipate what other events are going to happen in the future down the road. If you are not aware a corner is coming you can plow into traffic or objects to re-orient your vehicle to the necessary speed. There is less need to use breaks or consider your environment, you get to ignore more variables and make fewer inputs like counter-steering or breaking. This is the epitome of simplicity. Arcade is easier for everybody , not some because it demands less consideration of the player. 

This is gospel jazz right here; the people that complain about IV's handling did so because it was more of a challenge to use, and more punishing if you got wrong; much like real life.

The only thing that I could complain about in IV was that body roll could be excessive at times, apart from that it was spot on. It was challenging, punishing but also heavily enjoyable and rewarding when you knew how to work with it.

It's a damn shame they dumbed it down to appeal to the masses, I'm quite disappointed.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I often have the feeling that most people complaining don't even drive in reallife and still complain about something being less realistic. GTA IVs handling was NOT very realistic. Is was very boat like. The cars were way to light and started to drift way to easy.

GTA Vs handling is a lot more realistic. If it's better is your personal taste. But complaining about it being less realisitic is stupid and wrong.

No

VJ3s4yQAhBs.jpg

thestig93
  • thestig93

Wanted for Grand Theft Auto

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Stop being ignorant. There are many people like me and him that are coming from the PS2 era where every driving game was that way. You accelerate with X. Every GTA game was like that. It's just old habits that you can't change.

It's like trying to make me play an FPS game on a console. No way. I will never learn how to do it. It's just too complicated. As John Carmack said at his QuakeCon keynote this year, trying to move and look with the thumbs that are inherently low precision fingers is just not a good idea. You just end up snapping your way into aiming and looking, instead of precisely aiming and looking.

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Stop being ignorant. There are many people like me and him that are coming from the PS2 era where every driving game was that way. You accelerate with X. Every GTA game was like that. It's just old habits that you can't change.

It's like trying to make me play an FPS game on a console. No way. I will never learn how to do it. It's just too complicated. As John Carmack said at his QuakeCon keynote this year, trying to move and look with the thumbs that are inherently low precision fingers is just not a good idea. You just end up snapping your way into aiming and looking, instead of precisely aiming and looking.

I still play GT5 with "x" for accelerate. Those who say R2 allows for greater control are naive to that fact that the DS3 has pressure-sensitive face buttons, which can give great precision if a game makes use of the pressure-sensitivity like Gran Turismo 5 does.

Mr Mean Swag
  • Mr Mean Swag

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:20 PM Edited by GanjaTree, 15 September 2013 - 03:24 PM.

Quit QQing the game isn't even out yet, we can't make an accurate judgement based off of some leaked videos.

goathead
  • goathead

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Wow...
What an aggressive little fellow you are...

Is there something bothering you in the real world?

Want to talk to someone maybe?

Exam/girl trouble?

A valid point was made..to which some of the nicer blokes replied to in a friendly manner..

Yours I'm afraid..was not

Wannabe in LS
  • Wannabe in LS

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

I put IV on earlier and as much as I enjoy it, it didn't feel right. So I'm giving the new handling the benefit of the doubt and waiting to try it for myself.

ccfc4
  • ccfc4

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

watched about 10 minutes of a live stream, the guy was in some saloon like a bmw m5 and he was going on and off road with no difference in how the car handled, he drove off the side of 2 cliffs, rolling muiltiple times and landing on the roof, he then flipped the car back onto its wheels and drove off with no roof damage or anything. it looks f*cking sh*t! 

• namor likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

watched about 10 minutes of a live stream, the guy was in some saloon like a bmw m5 and he was going on and off road with no difference in how the car handled, he drove off the side of 2 cliffs, rolling muiltiple times and landing on the roof, he then flipped the car back onto its wheels and drove off with no roof damage or anything. it looks f*cking sh*t! 

That's another thing that bothers me apart from the lack of suspension, no body-roll and that the steering looks as though the car is swiveling around the centre of the car body; it's the fact that there appears to be no difference in vehicle handling on whichever surface you drive. Motircycle handling appears to be just as bad, if not worse. I saw that video as well and wondered if I was watching a beta version of the game.

In GTA IV, there was a huge difference in how the tyres gripped the ground and how it handled on tarmac, grass and on wet surfaces - you had to adjust your driving in response to the conditions. I don't see this here. To be honest, I'm beginning to prefer the driving physics in Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs compared to the abomination that passes for driving in GTA V.

Boat handling looks exactly the same as in IV, so that's fine and helicopter flying looks responsive and fluid. It's difficult to comment on the aeroplanes as I've only seen the Lear Jet, which looks alright, but I'm not too keen on the way that the aircraft appears to be stationary in the centre of the screen, but the entire background is moving relative to it.

The rest of the game looks amd moves beautifully, the clunky shooting mechanics appear fluid and instinctive, the characters are animated so realistically that sometimes I wonder if I'm watching a real life person, but I really can't believe that in the five year interval between IV and V, R* have completely devolved that part of gameplay which you spend 75% of your activities. There absolutely has to be a patch very soon to correct this atrocity, and if R* intends to release GTA V some time in the future on the next gen consoles, they really need to address this issue.

I can just imagine R* being inundated on day one with so many e-mails vilifying what they've done here, that their server will go into meltdown. Mine will be one of them.

At this point in time, I'm feeling a lot of jealousy towards PC gamers who will be able to mod the driving physics to their preference.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:12 PM Edited by Cobra427Cobra427, 15 September 2013 - 09:16 PM.

That's another thing that bothers me apart from the lack of suspension, no body-roll and that the steering looks as though the car is swiveling around the centre of the car body; it's the fact that there appears to be no difference in vehicle handling on whichever surface you drive. Motircycle handling appears to be just as bad, if not worse. I saw that video as well and wondered if I was watching a beta version of the game.

In GTA IV, there was a huge difference in how the tyres gripped the ground and how it handled on tarmac, grass and on wet surfaces - you had to adjust your driving in response to the conditions. I don't see this here. To be honest, I'm beginning to prefer the driving physics in Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs compared to the abomination that passes for driving in GTA V.

Boat handling looks exactly the same as in IV, so that's fine and helicopter flying looks responsive and fluid. It's difficult to comment on the aeroplanes as I've only seen the Lear Jet, which looks alright, but I'm not too keen on the way that the aircraft appears to be stationary in the centre of the screen, but the entire background is moving relative to it.

The rest of the game looks amd moves beautifully, the clunky shooting mechanics appear fluid and instinctive, the characters are animated so realistically that sometimes I wonder if I'm watching a real life person, but I really can't believe that in the five year interval between IV and V, R* have completely devolved that part of gameplay which you spend 75% of your activities. There absolutely has to be a patch very soon to correct this atrocity, and if R* intends to release GTA V some time in the future on the next gen consoles, they really need to address this issue.

I can just imagine R* being inundated on day one with so many e-mails vilifying what they've done here, that their server will go into meltdown. Mine will be one of them.

At this point in time, I'm feeling a lot of jealousy towards PC gamers who will be able to mod the driving physics to their preference.

yes, only the PC, only Mods, only hardcore,'re going to live in the forbidden underground, away from the world, rushing into the abyss and the mainstream)

Today, the guy told me that in GTA5, because of the stupid physics, the car can easily climb a 60 degree slope without losing speed

EZYHNCs7tNk.jpg

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

yes, only the PC, only Mods, only hardcore,'re going to live in the forbidden underground, away from the world, rushing into the abyss and the mainstream)

Today, the guy told me that in GTA5, because of the stupid physics, the car can easily climb a 60 degree slope without losing speed

EZYHNCs7tNk.jpg

You aren't joking, are you. Yet another nail in the coffin, as if the driving wasn't bad enough there's that to add to the list of atrocities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users