Games that are getting ruined

gaming getting ruined
36 replies to this topic
Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:08 AM Edited by Cyper, 11 September 2013 - 11:11 AM.

I have seen it happen before and I see it happens again.

I have been playing the ARMA series since it was called Operation Flashpoint back in 2001. The DayZ mod have increased the sales of the game, brought new players, and made the ARMA more visible for the mainstream audience. But that is not without a problem. The new influx of player's have also brought lot's of hackers, cheaters, and annoying kids. The new players want the developers to fix things that are not broken. There is for instance people that want the game to become more casual. Well, why buy it in the first place? People who want that does not belong in the community in the first place. People who want to 'casualize' should just return to where they came from. Reminds me of how the Battlefield, which is also one of my favorite games, have turned into a different beast trying to emulate CoD in certain aspects. I don't see what's up with some people.

To be honest, I could be without DayZ. It don't think it was worth it. Which we will see when ARMA 3 is released. Some people will say something like ''Arma needs DayZ to survive''. Well it does not. ARMA isn't the new thing around. ARMA is a matter of fact old news. It's been around for over a decade. The series is older than the BF franchise. The first game was released 2001.

Do anyone else have the same or similar experience with other games?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:07 PM Edited by finn4life, 11 September 2013 - 12:07 PM.

To be cliche, for me it's Call Of Duty, it just gets more arcadey with each release, decreased recoil all around on all weapons, smaller and smaller maps. It's lame as .
Saints row turned to sh*t as well, they just went more, and more and more over the top, now the game is just a f*cking joke.

GTA and getting easy. IV was one of the easier legitimate games i've ever played, the missions were just going through the motions mostly, no real challenge at all, races were the biggest jokes, one attempt it was supercars, next attempt the opposition is driving perennials, what the f*ck is with that? Seriously? What the f*ck? I loved the III era races where you had to drive perfectly for some races otherwise you'd lose, and also the opposition crashed into rivers and such and didn't respawn, it made dirty racing awesome, you could P.I.T manoeuvre other racers into poles and and other cars it was great.

• Adler likes this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

The race against Hilary in Vice City is legendary.

• DeafMetal likes this

Nun0567
  • Nun0567

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

The whole Resident Evil franchise.

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Last good COD for me was United Offensive... Ive spent like 1000+hours according to Xfire on it. I played only SP on other COD games, it was the same all the time.

Battlefield is going to sh*t too in my opinion.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Assassin's Creed.

Ubisoft is obviously milking the cow dry.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Assassin's Creed.

Ubisoft is obviously milking the cow dry.

This. And the damn pirate thing... Yesterday I read that they will be releasing, apart of the AC IV, two more pirate themed AC, one for mobile phone and the other for normal system, as well as  movie and probably more crap. And think that the AC 2 was such a good game... f*ck Ubisoft for ruining the good name of Assassins Creed.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:29 PM Edited by Werebot85, 11 September 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Imo, the Splinter Cell series. For me personally, Chaos Theory was the last true Splinter Cell game. The first 3 games were all about real stealth, hiding in the shadows, stealth kills and those kinda things. But ever since Double Agent, I feel like the games focus more on action and less on stealth. I find it hard to go on missions without running and gunning.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the newer games in the series, but I just wish they stuck to what made SC so good.

Another series is Silent Hill. I don't play Silent hill games anymore. The last one I think was great, is SH3. The Room was OK, but meh... And I didn't even bother with Homecoming or Downpour..

And I also agree about Assassins Creed. Didn't really enjoy 3 and we'll have to wait and see about this new pirate thing, which at the moment, doesn't really interest me that much..

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

IMO The Elder Scrolls is getting ruined. I first started with Oblivion and greatly enjoyed the game and the expansions. I then tried Morrowind and couldn't get into it, but about two years later I tried it out again and really could see why people liked it so much. It had a steep learning curve and some things were not clear, like why I was missing my attacks, but overall I could see why people called Oblivion 'dumbed down'. The journal system, while not perfect, was a great feature; the wackiness of the land and how alien everything felt - from the Telvanni towers to the Daedric shrines and the city, Ald'Ruhn, built from dead emperor crabs; the variety of spells and the chance to fail your attack which really made you feel like you were becoming a better mage/swordsman when your spells/attacks were starting to become successful all the time; the lack of fast-travel which instead was integrated into the world through teleportation/silt striders etc; the rich culture and history at your fingertips just waiting to be read etc etc.

Morrowind isn't perfect, and I have heard people consider it 'dumbed down' compared to Daggerfall, but I personally feel it had a good balance of things kept/taken away from Daggerfall to use as a basis and then improve upon (though the advantage/disadvantage system sounded nice)

I'm currently still playing Skyrim on and off, but I just don't think it compares to either Oblivion or Morrowind. (IMO) The land of Skyrim seems dull and rather uninteresting, dragon lore was changed in a bad way to just making them 'evil dragonzz', the quests were overall bad - especially side quests. Faction quests were bad, forced to join certain factions to do the MQ was bad, the lack of spell-making and skills was bad.

I could go on, but I'd rather keep it short. Skyrim did do some nice things however, such as the Perk Tree (though most of the perks are pretty crappy, which is unusual seeing as Fallout 3's were good), the detail of Dwemer ruins, the feeling of using magic was a step up from Oblivion and Morrowind, etc.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Battlefield as EA just love to stick thier fingers in and change the game to milk people. Way too many micro DLCs and Premium is shoved down the player's throats. Official servers without DLC maps are a rarity these days both on console and PC.

Ermac
  • Ermac

Presented in SpittaVision®

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Resident Evil. The series died for me after 4. The only redeeming quality of 5 was the co-op, and even that alone couldn't get my friend and I to complete it. It's gone from survival horror to action action.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Battlefield as EA just love to stick thier fingers in and change the game to milk people. Way too many micro DLCs and Premium is shoved down the player's throats. 

...I don't think you understand what 'shoved down [person's] throat(s)' is used for. Plus the micro DLCs are fine, it's not like BF has better guns at higher levels.

Anyhoo, this isn't exactly what the OP wanted but I find that this kind of attitude exists for three different reasons: 

1, the game is becoming less what the person wanted. A good example of this is SR; it's good at doing crazy, but people who liked SRII dislike it because it's crazy - I often see people stating they hate it because 'it's too unrealistic' or 'it's too different from SRII'. 

The problem with this is that if a series does decide to stay to it's 'origins', it often gets disliked for not changing enough. Note these aren't the same people complaining, just that you can't please everyone.

2, the game is trying to appeal to a larger audience, thus becoming more 'casual'. Of course, to a developer this seems like an obvious choice - wider audience, more sales, more money. But it ties in with the above, straying away from what the original fanbase liked, and what made that game special. 

3, the game is simply getting worse. It may be trying too hard to give what it can't, or a lazy/different developer, doesn't have any original ideas like the first game had, etc. But in the eyes of, well, everyone, it just isn't up to scratch. 

Most of the time I see a mixture of the above, and it isn't a clear-cut debate of wanting the devs to 'go back to the game's roots', unfortunately. 

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

Battlefield

A good tactical game about teamwork turned into a sh*tty casual shooter to appeal to a larger audience. And the micro transactions and cut maps being sold for DLC.

Saints Row

Good games until The Third where they half-assed the whole thing and then cut out things to sell for DLC, i'm surprised IV even has missions with the standard game.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Can we change this from "games getting ruined" to "game franchises getting ruined".

Unless a game is constantly being updated, the game doesn't "get ruined" it's either good or bad.  A game franchise on the other hand can start out as a good product and then turn bad, or at least in most of the cases I've read here, gone stale.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

Another series is Silent Hill. I don't play Silent hill games anymore. The last one I think was great, is SH3. The Room was OK, but meh... And I didn't even bother with Homecoming or Downpour..

Dude, I'm a huge Silent Hill fan and honestly, Downpour is a huge return to form to the series. It no longer plays like some crappy action game like Homecoming, it brought back the focus on the atmosphere and suspense. The controls are clunky and hard to use like SH2 so it makes it more scary, the atmosphere is really good the storyline, while not perfect, does a good job and is actually an original idea, rather than Origins or HC which ripped off older SH games. While there's no Akira Yamaoka doing the soundtrack, Daniel Licht is a good replacement. The main issue I have with the game is the monster designs are slightly lacking compared to older games, other than that, i would definitely give it a chance.

I agree about AC, III was pretty bad.
  • Adler likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Almost every franchise gets ruined eventually. I've even recently played Battlefield 2 (singleplayer only due to stupid CD-key bullcrap)

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Call of Duty, it went to sh*t after Call of Duty 4 and World at War. The only thing that changed was the story.

Resident Evil went down the drain after 4, 5 was an average game but 6 ruined it. Had to be one of the worst and most disappointing games of 2012.

• OchyGTA likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

You all seem to forget the Mario franchise, the most popular video game series of all time, and one of the oldest to still exist. Video games aren't only mature games.

The Mario franchise is getting more and more repetitive and more stupid. Before, there was fire Mario and tanooki  Mario, but now it's flying squirrel Mario and cat Mario.

Nintendo and the Mario franchise are slowly dying.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:05 PM Edited by Werebot85, 12 September 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Dude, I'm a huge Silent Hill fan and honestly, Downpour is a huge return to form to the series. It no longer plays like some crappy action game like Homecoming, it brought back the focus on the atmosphere and suspense. The controls are clunky and hard to use like SH2 so it makes it more scary, the atmosphere is really good the storyline, while not perfect, does a good job and is actually an original idea, rather than Origins or HC which ripped off older SH games. While there's no Akira Yamaoka doing the soundtrack, Daniel Licht is a good replacement. The main issue I have with the game is the monster designs are slightly lacking compared to older games, other than that, i would definitely give it a chance.
Well even if I wanted to, I probably won't be able to play Downpour. I'm a pc gamer and the game doesn't seem to be coming to pc at all. I think Konami or whoever is responsible for SH these days, pretty much gave up on the pc market. Homecoming was imo the worst console to pc port I've ever seen in my life. It really was unplayable; so many bugs and other problems. I tried to play it once and made it out of the hospital and into town, but pretty much stopped right there. The worst part is, they never even bothered to release any patches or whatever to fix all the problems.

It's sad because I am still a huge fan of the earlier games in the series. SH2 and 3 are the best imo. After playing them Silent Hill was starting to become one of my favorite game series' of all time. I was so hyped for The Room, but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't that good either. My love for the series pretty much went away after that...

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

For me, Hitman has lost it's charm.

I feel like it used to be a real strategy stealth game, I would spend 10-15 minutes at a time memorizing patrol routes and such so I could get a perfect stealth rating on missions. Absolution just dropped all of that, it basically took away all my precision and thinking and gave me a middle a finger instead. 

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well even if I wanted to, I probably won't be able to play Downpour. I'm a pc gamer and the game doesn't seem to be coming to pc at all. I think Konami or whoever is responsible for SH these days, pretty much gave up on the pc market. Homecoming was imo the worst console to pc port I've ever seen in my life. It really was unplayable; so many bugs and other problems. I tried to play it once and made it out of the hospital and into town, but pretty much stopped right there. The worst part is, they never even bothered to release any patches or whatever to fix all the problems.

Yeah Homecoming is garbage, but Downpour is okay. It's at least trying to be a Silent Hill game instead of shamelessly trying to cash in from throwing in random sh*t from the Silent Hill movie. I don't think Downpour is worth playing if you don't have the means, but you could always watch a walkthrough or Let's Play if you're interested.

• AceRay likes this

Twang.
  • Twang.

memento mori, dead man's curve

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a series go to sh*t as quickly as Assassin's Creed did. First one I played was Brotherhood back when it was only the third installment. Next thing I know there are like 5 portable spinoffs, a sequel, and another scheduled for later this year. What the f*ck. I was never a big fan, but that was just a bit of a head trip.

Wanna talk about a ruined series? Final f*ckin' Fantasy, yo. First three are good for what they are: ancient barebones RPGS, 4-9 are all legendary, even 10 and 12 were good while 11 became of the most successful MMOs out there. Then along came lucky number 13. The game itself was pretty bad, but then they decided to milk it with 2 direct sequels and killing off the few good characters while transforming Lightning in to something she never was. This was also about the time they decided to milk FF7 dry too with like 3 spin-offs and a movie. They also sh*tted up the Kingdom Hearts franchise quite a bit. Then they released a completely unneccesary MMO that completely sucked until they scrapped it completely and re-launched a finished version. Squeenix as a whole kinda went down the sh*tter. To be fair, Dissidia was pretty badass, a few of their new IPs were cool, 15 doesn't look bad at all so far, and they handled 14's initial failure pretty well.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yeah Homecoming is garbage, but Downpour is okay. It's at least trying to be a Silent Hill game instead of shamelessly trying to cash in from throwing in random sh*t from the Silent Hill movie. I don't think Downpour is worth playing if you don't have the means, but you could always watch a walkthrough or Let's Play if you're interested.

Its by far the best of the American-produced Silent Hill games. I honestly think if they gave the series back to the same devs that worked on DP, we could end up with an excellent Survival Horror game. If they worked out DP's kinks like the monster designs or the rushed last third, it would be the best thing this franchise has seen since SH3/4

Then along came lucky number 13. The game itself was pretty bad, but then they decided to milk it with 2 direct sequels and killing off the few good characters

FFXIII and good characters? I don't think you can say that in the same sentence. I'd much rather have Serah and Noel than hear from f*cking Snow, Vanille or Hope, Fang and Lightning not much better. The only character I didn't hate was Sazh and he gets shoved into the background once the whole team is assembled, plus he has stupid frocobo with him.

In fact, FFXIII-2 made me like Hope because he grew up and become awesome, it pisses me off he goes back to being a kid for LR, why would they do that? Snow actually doesn't look nearly as annoying as he did in XIII so he should be good. Lightning still trying to look serious but instead her VA just seems bored out of her mind. Other than that, I'd take XIII-2 any day.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

For me, Hitman has lost it's charm.

That's true. The classics were truly memorable. The series was fine with the missions all around the world, Asolution didn't have that same attraction stuck in the US.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

The Simcity franchise is done. EA f*cked it up.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

You all seem to forget the Mario franchise, the most popular video game series of all time, and one of the oldest to still exist. Video games aren't only mature games.

The Mario franchise is getting more and more repetitive and more stupid. Before, there was fire Mario and tanooki  Mario, but now it's flying squirrel Mario and cat Mario.

Nintendo and the Mario franchise are slowly dying.

I just realize the new mario was out, I decided to watch it actually, Wingsuit takes away a lot of platforming I found, I don't really like that at all. Then again if it's implemented in the right areas it could be okay.
Also waaaaay too much emphasis on coin collection, I thought Mario on the Wii was great, but seriously, this is just chock blocked full of coins, you can't fly through the levels, you need to stop all the time. I really liked that addition on the Wii version of Mario where when you sprint and jump for a bit you gain more air and do flips and stuff.

All that said though, I really, really don't think Nintendo is dying at all, DS being the second best selling console after PS2. And Wii wrecking Sony and Xbox for sales. Mario Might be going downhill a bit though. We'll have to wait until the next instalments.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Assassin's Creed, Ratchet and Clank, The Sims, Total War, Age of Empires (lil late on that one, but AOE 3 was horrible compared to AOE2).

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Agree with AC and SC. (Though ACIV looks good).
Ubisoft took it away from what it is. Splinter Cell - getting rid of Ironside, replacing him with a guy with no charsima, having Sam older but look and sound younger. They went full retard imo.

CT was indeed a brilliant game, but Double Agent was excellent imo. Pandora Tomorrow was also up there. I honestly could not pick a favorite between them.
Conviction however... it was good, but not Splinter Cell. Blacklist, they're trying too hard to make conviction "like" older games, where they should have looked at the older games.

AC: II, Brotherhood and Rev' were good games. II the best because it added so much, and was great etc. B/R merely added to that, milking that cow. III was a complete failure. It looked pretty, but had about as much character as a dead tree stump, much like Splinter Cell: B. I lament the death of these series'

Saints Row too. It was a very good game (2) and then they saw GTA and thought "We can't beat this." But they didn't even try. Competition is a good thing. They should have tried. There were different directions they could take the game, but going full retard was not the smart one, a la SRTT/IV. The character customization, vehicle customization, crib customization - the game had so much potential, and could well have evolved (As GTA has) into an "APB" styled online game, perhaps the "RPG" of sandbox. But instead they threw in some fart jokes. Lame.
Oh and then there's on disc DLC

Dont get me started with Ubisoft's DLC

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

The GTA series? (arguably)

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

All shooters get ruined but only for mainstream etc. , where are competetive shooters w/o bullsh*t like healthregain or 1 hit kill guns 1 knife dead 1 nade dead, Campers get rewarded. Pretty much all games get ruined some by the makers of the game ( try sell the most as possible ) and some by the community ( camping ). For me most painfull is the cod zombies ( WaW map der riese is best ), all they had to do is more guns or power ups etc. but they like to sell sh*tloads so make useless big maps ( kids prolly like that )and put in extra types of zombies ( wow thats awzome ) but why ?? why deleted dog rounds ? Why patch the only fun thing ( gunglitch ). Other good example is gta5, R* was to busy try to be revulotionair while there already having the magic formula. I know things always change but why some games need turn 180% i dunno. See old CS or other old competetive games, they still got plenty people playing so changes arent needed if the game is just good on its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users