• darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I still mourn for those who died.  I mourn the feeling before the attacks.  The feeling that was intact on September 10, 2001.  The feeling that I live in America, and no one, foreign or domestic will be able to attack this country in such a way that would change the world.  It was a feeling of safety, but I guess maybe ignorance.  It just never happened in such a large scale.

I believe if you were too young, you'll never fully understand the impact of these attacks.  Because you'll never fully understand what the "real world" was like.  Hell, I was only 16, and I don't fully understand.  Any younger, and I'd probably really never understand.

And finally, let's mourn Darkel.  If it weren't for 9/11, there's be a hundred thousand GTAF members named Darkel.

• Adler and GunWrath like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

With Obama's support for Al Qaeda affiliates in Syria, all those people that died that day, died in vain. Except the hijackers. Also with the UK and US using anti-terror laws on their own people, it's time to declare Osama bin Laden the victor in the war on terror.

Pretty much this. People seem to forget what the word terrorist means. The terrorists are just chilling out now. No reason to do anything anymore.

Yep. The peace prize winning messiah doing his predicted job.

I look forward to the debates.

I don't.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

To this day I still remember that day like if it was yesterday, I wasn't here at the time but my dad works near Manhattan (and to this day still does) so when we heard about the attacks in my home country we thought of him right away and we found out he was fine.

I still pass by where the towers stood, people still take pictures of the fountains and the new freedom tower. Many say to move on but without a doubt that will never happen.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I believe if you were too young, you'll never fully understand the impact of these attacks.  Because you'll never fully understand what the "real world" was like.  Hell, I was only 16, and I don't fully understand.  Any younger, and I'd probably really never understand.

I was 12. And surrounded by people who were happy when it happened. It was like I was the only one in the entire neighborhood who realized that people in that plane and in those buildings had never done anything to me or anyone that I know. Yet people here couldn't have been happier watching the towers burn and collapse. Like they weren't even aware that thousands of people were dying in agony at that very moment. It made me sick then and it still makes me sick when I think about it.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

I was 12. And surrounded by people who were happy when it happened. It was like I was the only one in the entire neighborhood who realized that people in that plane and in those buildings had never done anything to me or anyone that I know. Yet people here couldn't have been happier watching the towers burn and collapse. Like they weren't even aware that thousands of people were dying in agony at that very moment. It made me sick then and it still makes me sick when I think about it.

Where are you from? :O

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

I still pass by where the towers stood, people still take pictures of the fountains and the new freedom tower. Many say to move on but without a doubt that will never happen.

I think people have moved on to some extent. But "moving on" doesn't necessarily have to mean you forget about it or that you don't remember it every year. Sometimes when people say that we need to move on, they act like we need to almost just ignore it now and forget about it.  

I remember watching it on the news live, and then watching the 10 O'clock news later that day. It was so surreal. 

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's not really about the horror of the attack.  Everyone at any age old enough to understand death, should've been horrified.  It's the impact on society, I speak of.  Instead of doing illegal wiretaps, the government then had a free pass to make a law to make every wiretap they could ever want legal.  It's hard even for me to remember that before 9/11, in America, wiretaps and any kind of listening into phone lines, spying on Americans of any kind, were illegal without a warrant.  Flat out, illegal.  As in it was a huge controversy, and people were arrested if it was ever found out.  Right now, even with the outrage of similar actions, it's not as close a controversy as it would be 15 years ago.  People are willing to accept letting their privacy go, for "national security".  And that's just one difference between pre- and post-9/11.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:28 PM Edited by Mr.Mister, 10 September 2013 - 07:29 PM.

I was an 8 year old kid in 3rd grade when it happened, its crazy how long its been since 9/11/01. Despite being a kid, I remember coming home everyday after that and playing Neopets while my dad was swearing at the TV. That was during the buildup to invade Iraq. Then Bush won reelection. Wow, what a start to the new millennium. 

Seattle Cracker
  • Seattle Cracker

That awkward white guy

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

the melodrama in this thread is making me tear up a little, excuse me while I go grab a tissue and pretend like I knew what was even going on at the time, considering I was a seven year old.

bread
  • bread

Organic

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

The only image I remember on the day of 9/11/01 was my dad in the living room tuned into CNN watching the WTC towers billowing with black smoke as it all happened live.I remember nothing else on that day.

Needless to say it's still a very horrific event to look back at. I remember watching the Kevin Cosgrove 9-1-1 call video on YouTube a few weeks back. It's one of the most chilling videos I have ever seen, if not the most.

We could also care less about your birthday. This is a topic revolving around the biggest terrorist attack in the world and for the sake of writing out a few words you decide to also mention it's your birthday, despite the fact you didn't want to. I'm pretty sure you made this topic to garner at least some sort of attention, kid.

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:56 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 10 September 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Does anyone know of any 9/11 documentaries that're on tonight?

I live in the UK btw.

My f*cking freeview box is sh*t and I can't view future programmes.

EDIT: Mockage, I also seen that video, he was in the south tower right?

His last words were "Oh god!" I believe.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Happy birthday! don't end up jumping from a skyscraper while you're on fire!

bread
  • bread

Organic

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:11 PM Edited by Mockage, 10 September 2013 - 08:12 PM.

I live in the UK btw.

My f*cking freeview box is sh*t and I can't view future programmes.

EDIT: Mockage, I also seen that video, he was in the south tower right?

His last words were "Oh god!" I believe.

I think they were "Oh god, NO!!"

Horrifying stuff.

ninja-edit: Yes, he died in the South Tower.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

I live in the UK btw.

It wasn't really about the events of 9/11 per se, but there was a great documentary that was broadcast last Sunday night on Channel 4 about the construction of the new WTC. It was called 'Rebuilding the World Trade Centre', and it followed the progress of the last 5/6 years, right up to completion.

It's been repeated a few times the past week on C4 and More4, so keep an eye out, as it was an extremely well made documentary.

• Node likes this

SlickSpencer8
  • SlickSpencer8

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

As the years go by, it still brings back memories when I was a kid and what it was like that day. Unfortunately, I didn't quite understand what happened. A very sad day in which many life's we're taking. May the good people that day that risked their life's to save others be in a wonderful and happy place.  

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I live in the UK btw.

It wasn't really about the events of 9/11 per se, but there was a great documentary that was broadcast last Sunday night on Channel 4 about the construction of the new WTC. It was called 'Rebuilding the World Trade Centre', and it followed the progress of the last 5/6 years, right up to completion.

It's been repeated a few times the past week on C4 and More4, so keep an eye out, as it was an extremely well made documentary.

Thanks for the reply but I already watched that, it was a brilliantly structured documentary.

I liked how they didn't show any footage or images of the twin towers on 9/11 and focused solely on the new WTC.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I live in the UK btw.

Thanks for the reply but I already watched that, it was a brilliantly structured documentary.

I liked how they didn't show any footage or images of the twin towers on 9/11 and focused solely on the new WTC.

I also loved all the time lapse sequences showing the construction progress, as well as the beautiful views over NYC. The ambient music was perfect for the 'feel' of the whole doc too. Sh*t I wish I'd recorded it.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

the melodrama in this thread is making me tear up a little, excuse me while I go grab a tissue and pretend like I knew what was even going on at the time, considering I was a seven year old.

you know just because 9/11 didn't affect you doesn't mean it didn't affect plenty of other people.

if you've got nothing to say then don't even bother responding.

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have a stupid question.

I know F-16's where scrambled just as American airlines 11 hit the world trade center (the first plane).

What would have happened if the F-16's caught up, would they have been ordered to shoot it down?

I mean, that action is going to kill people, so either way, people die?

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

this is fun

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Get over it people. Not really a big deal anymore

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

I know F-16's where scrambled just as American airlines 11 hit the world trade center (the first plane).

What would have happened if the F-16's caught up, would they have been ordered to shoot it down?

My guess is they would have intercepted the plane and steer it to the water and shoot it down their

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

if fighter jets had caught up to the commercial airliners on 9/11 then they would have been ordered to shoot them out of the sky after trying to communicate with the pilots. they would first try to contact them on the radio and warn them.

if the pilots failed to back off of their flightpath then the jets would absolutely be ordered to open fire.

yes, the innocent people on the planes would be killed but it would be worth it to save thousands more on the ground.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

if fighter jets had caught up to the commercial airliners on 9/11 then they would have been ordered to shoot them out of the sky after trying to communicate with the pilots. they would first try to contact them on the radio and warn them.

if the pilots failed to back off of their flightpath then the jets would absolutely be ordered to open fire.
yes, the innocent people on the planes would be killed but it would be worth it to save thousands more on the ground.

I'm not sure that's true. It's certainly true during times of war, and it would be true if the aircraft in question was either military or the origin of it could not be determined, but there was no protocol for the active use of weaponry against a civilian airliner during an intercept in peacetime in place during 9/11. A shoot-down was infeasible as it just didn't exist in the rules of lawful engagement.

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:02 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 10 September 2013 - 09:12 PM.

My guess is they would have intercepted the plane and steer it to the water and shoot it down their

How would they change the airplanes' flight path?

Would they have flown in front of it to try and force the pilot in a different direction? 

EDIT: I've never understood why airplane's are built with the option to turn the transponder off, I mean if this feature was always on then the military could have possibly stopped 1 or more of the hijacked planes, but the terrorists turned them off.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

People need to move on, yes tomorrow is the anniversary of a disaster that shook the globe but for f*cks sake that was 17 years ago, we need to move on from ExtremeLimitation's birth and the sadness it caused all of us.

Spoiler

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Get over it people. Not really a big deal anymore

Cosidering the societal and political changes in America since the attack, I'd say it's a lot more relevant today than ever.

• I<3GTAV likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

RIP and all but it happened a decade ago, time to move on and unless you have family members involved, get over it. Once you get to a certain age you'll find close friends and family dying every year.

You are aware that this was perhaps the most significant geopolitical event in our life times and will be a historical marker for centuries to come right?

Define what you mean by 'move on'. 

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

It wasn't just "at the WTC" , people also lost their lives at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania that day which people tend to forget.

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:33 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 10 September 2013 - 09:33 PM.

It wasn't just "at the WTC" , people also lost their lives at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania that day which people tend to forget.

Yep, American airlines 77 and United Airlines flight 175, If I remember correctly.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

R.I.P to all those who died. :(

• Node likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users