Photo

Help with a new Gaming Laptop

12 replies to this topic
ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Hello, I have been thinking about getting a new gaming laptop for Christmas this year instead of one of the new consoles. I would like to know what you think of this setup and how long would it be able to run games smoothly, like would I be able to play games that come out in 2015 on it.

First off it is an Alienware m17x gaming laptop

4th generation intel core i7 processor

windows 7 home premium

750GB SATA 3gb/s (7200rpm)

8gb dual channel DDR3L at 16000MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M with @GB GDDR5

I think thats all i need to tell you. This will be my first gaming laptop, so I want it to be able to run games smoothly and be able to play new games for a while. Before you ask, I am not getting a desktop because I have no place to put one, but if you want to recommend some other laptops and the specs I would need to run games for a few years, that would be great. Also, I just chose the AlienWare to start with, because they are the only brand I know of, but I am willing to look at other brands.Thanks

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Okay first piece of advice would be to steer clear of Alienware, this is because Alienware is a big brand for gaming laptops, you are going to be paying for the brand big time, you can find a Laptop with solid airflow and great specs for less money. I'd suggest the MSI gmaing series laptops, here are a couple great ones. Reason for MSI is because they are gaming specific so they're going to have great airflow and great keyboards for gaming, you could get an Asus, an Acer or a HP if you like as well, but the price difference isn't really that much and the MSI is more tailored to your needs. Also avoid cheapo brands like "Ibuypower" and "CyberPower" They have overheating issues due to sh*tty case design.
See here I just searched on Newegg. Alienware is $1750, the one you want anyway.
I searched all laptops on Bestbuy

Straight away I found one for $150 less at $1599 with better specs.:
- Backlit Keyboard.
- 3GB GDDR5 GT 770m
- i7
- 16GB RAM(Yes it's unecessary, but a quick example.)
- 17.3" screen.
- 750GB 7200RPM HDD.
This is an MSI Laptop, they are built for gaming just like the Aienwares.

http://www.bestbuy.c...=specifications

Here is a great Deal, it's basically the same as the one I linked above except with a larger HDD and a more balanced amount of ram it is an MSI gaming series Laptop, at $1423 it is $300 cheaper than the alienware, and more powerful. I'd get an MSI laptop over Alienware any day of the week.
- GT 770m 3GB GDDR5 
- 1TB HDD
- 8GB RAM

- i7 
- Backlit Keyboard

- 17.3" screen

http://www.bestbuy.c...=specifications

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for those links, I will definitely check those out, but on the second link you gave me, does the larger HDD and more balanced ram better or worse or doesn't really matter? Basically what I'm asking is out of the two links, which one would you prefer? Also, will this laptop be able to run new games that come out in 2015-2016?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

The second MSI is a better deal, 16GB of ram is unnecessary in my opinion, also these papyrus

I believe they will play games pretty well until 2015, and will go good into 2016 even, but it is hard to gauge. There is not a whole lot of laptops available that top these two in terms of gaming performance, unless you find a laptop with a 780m, but that will bump the price up minimum $350.
I'll do some more research when I get home.

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Alright man, thanks a lot, I really appreciate this, because I have no experience purchasing a new computer/laptop so I was completely lost. But your helping me out and I think I'm kinda getting an idea of what a gaming laptop needs.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Gaming laptops... i like them, i love them. If I would not have given up the gaming laptops, I would have bought

the MSI 2OD. It comes with an i7-4700 and GTX780M. Bit expensive but powerfull until like 2016?

MSI is definitely a much better choice. They are known for really good gaming and of course, cheaper

than that moronic overpriced and ugly Alienware laptops.

The keyboard of the MSI gaming laptops, I'm quite jealous the desktop keyboard doesn't have that nice glowing keys.

The most important question: what is your maximum budget you can spent on a gaming laptop?

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

my budget I think is anywhere up to 2000$. The MSI 2OD, can you give me a link to that please? Thanks

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Here is the link:

http://www.msi.com/p...D.html#overview

It can be expensive and I live in other country. Not sure if you really want it.

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

The MSI 2OD looks good, but I think it's to expensive, thanks for letting me know about it though.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

Yeah, like I said, it can depends in which country you live.

Gaming laptops with 4th gen i7 and GTX780 are too expensive. the only laptop under $2000

comes with GTX765M or so. Not a good choice imho.

Games are demanding more power and a GTX760M just is not enough to last 2 or 3 years.

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:38 PM Edited by ArmoredxApple, 13 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

I don't know if it would make a huge difference, but what if it had GTX770M? Would that make it more powerful or basically the same as the GTX765M?

Edit: Is this MSI a good one? http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B00CU9GNCS

Edit #2: What do you guys think of Windows 8? I personally don't like it, but would it be better to have it installed or does it matter?

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

That laptop is a nice one. 12GB is perfect because there will be games released that will require 8GB like BF4.

GPU and CPU are nice too. If you can afford to buy, it's a good choice.

Make sure you keep the laptop in the bag when you don't use it. This to prevent the dust being builded up in the fan.

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Alright, thanks, I will probably get that one when it comes time to pick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users