What is your perception on time travel?

47 replies to this topic
Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I heard there are few theory,  so, what I really wonder about is someone still working/ trying to build up time machine? seems like everyone give it up :cry: never heard sensational news recently. the progress still 0%??

You need a DeLorean if you want to build one yourself.

• stu likes this

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

We time travel all the time. We sleep. Think about it.

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

My view on time travel depends on how "time" originated

Was time discovered? If it is, then time travel could be possible.

If time was invented, then for me, it is just a measurement of how many times the earth has passed around the sun. Therefore, time travel can never happen.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Perception of time flow is a matter of recalling immediately recent events. Say you pushed a cup off the table. As you watch it fall down, you can recall it being on the table. After it smashes into pieces, you can recall watching it fall and recalling that it was on the table before. This process of recalling a recollection is what sets up a definite sequence of events that you feel are progressing. Does that make sense?

I think so in that case then using that as an example. If you push the cup off of the table then look away. You then can recall before the cup smashes that you know the cup will break when it hits the floor can that be classed as predicting the future?

Of course. The entire point of central nervous system is predicting the future.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:04 PM Edited by lil weasel, 10 September 2013 - 06:05 PM.

"Science" never thought that.

OK so it was a MAN of Science: Lord Kelvin, the President of the Royal Society of England made a forceful declaration. "Heavier than air flying machines are impossible," said this very powerful man of science

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Here is the actual quote.

I am afraid I am not in the flight for “aerial navigation”. I was greatly interested in your work with kites; but I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning or of expectation of good results from any of the trials we hear of. So you will understand that I would not care to be a member of the aëronautical Society.

The statement is frequently misquoted in the way you have. But even if we take your version of the quote as valid, I don't recall Kelvin being an authority on fluid dynamics, mechanics, materials, or anything even remotely related to flight. His work was in thermodynamics and electricity. So his lack of enthusiasm is understandable.

Scientists are people and they often speak of things they don't understand, just like everyone else. The difference is that they also can speak on things that they have great deal of understanding about. And things that scientists working in the field can agree on are the sort of things where you can say, "Science thinks that..."

In contrast to Kelvin's statement, take a look at the works by such people as Kutta and Joukowski. These guys are effectively responsible for modern aerodynamics. Joukowski's papers on theory of lift predate Kelvin's statement. So people who actually worked in the field knew the heavier than air flight was possible and were working hard on making it a reality.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:57 PM Edited by _____, 10 September 2013 - 08:01 PM.

We haven't been visited by someone from the future, because the future hasn't happened yet. The future does not exist. And no one discovered time travel yet to travel to the future for someone from the future to use time travel to travel back to the past, by which I mean present time. Does that make sense, cos my brain hurts :p

Anyway, I don't think time travel is or ever will be possible...

Interesting logic, but it is based on the assumption that time is real, which I'm not sure if it is.

Time travel to the future is already a thing. Sort of. When objects move at different speeds relative to each other, time passes slower for the one that's moving faster.

That's because you are picturing a machine that goes back in time with the traveler, which is nonsense.

I can understand the logic, but if time travel to the past is possible, couldn't there be a way to transport the machine as well?

Edit: Now I'm thinking what would you witness after you finish building it like you said, and days later you go back to the past to the day you finished it. What would you witness, the person from the past, when you arrive from the future? Will the time machine suddenly start operating by itself? I think this logic is raising even more questions.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

My perception on time travel is that going into the future to see your future self is completely and he goes "OMG, you're me from the past!" is completely wrong. I think that, even in 60 years you'll still remember being into the future before. It's that kind of thing that nobody could forget. Other than that, I don't think time travel is possible, but I'm pretty sure teleporting is.

JamieVic
  • JamieVic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:07 AM Edited by JamieVic, 11 September 2013 - 05:07 AM.

Going back in time? Will never happen because no one warned us about Hitler and all that.

Going forward in time? Perhaps.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

?  maybe somebody did go back and Mr. Hitler was the best option... so that isn't a viable reasonging..

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ah, time travel. How I think of thee constantly. Just the other night I was re-watching Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel. Great f*cking comedy if you've got an hour and change to kill.

mr.e
  • mr.e

N.Y.C.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

I don't think traveling to the past is possible, I DO however believe that time travel into the future is somewhat possible.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

From the view point of Quantum mechanics and it's view of a multi-verse then I could see time travel being feasible. It would be less about time travel though and more universe shifting.

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

If someone went back in time and changed the past, that could start a chain reaction butterfly effect in which that someone wouldn't be born. Then that someone wouldn't be around to change what happened in the past. So we go back to the past being unchanged.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

You couldn't go back in time and kill yourself. Your going back in time so you never died.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I highly doubt it will ever be possible.  Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt.  You can't travel into the future because it hasn't happened yet.  How could your future self be in the future if you are travelling through time anyway?  How could you possibly determine what exact time you end up at?  Surely you can't go back in time either.  Once something has happened, its gone?

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

looper was a good example of how f*cked up sh*t can get if ever time travel came about.

god help us if time travel ever happens.

but who knows. maybe its already happened. and people have already taken advantage of this gift

Coat.
  • Coat.

god bless the dead

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:05 AM Edited by Coat., 14 September 2013 - 01:06 AM.

We may never be able to time travel, but I really wouldn't know.

My best guess is that the way to time travel, would be through a black hole - the only problem is that you would be killed in the process. When you enter the event horizon, time doesn't against as no light gets out of a black hole, and time is measured by light.

I think a black hole is just a gateway that we, as humans, can not enter. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users