trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

As for the OP, imagine learning to drive in Europe with a manual. For a beginner it's a nightmare.

Hey! I'm US born and I learned on a manual.

I think everyone should always have a bit of fear when operating something that could kill you or others. Fear keeps you on your toes.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by NateShaw92, 09 September 2013 - 10:04 PM.

I am a bit apprehensive on driving given the amount of abject morons on the road in the UK, I mean real f*cking idiots who should be locked up for being a danger to society, I have seen intelligent people become a prick and a moron behind the wheel, so people who are idiiots at the best of times have no f*cking chance, people get even stupider when it rains i find.

Drivers in 4x4s tend to be even worse,one guy sticks out, not a 4x4, was in a Beamer i think, or a merc, some luxary car that costs 5 figures. Couldn't tell cos he was going so fast. Light was red for 10 seconds and I was crossing, the prick still sped through his lane just as I was reaching it, just missed me. i think you should be retested for your license every few years, cos this idiocy is mostly prevalent in experienced drivers I find, cos for the first year or 2 after passing your test most drivers who are not young hotheads obey the rules more, like speed limits and mirror signal manoeuvre (strange word) instead of, as my dad does it signal, mirror, manoeuvre, or as I saw a taxi driver do.... just manoeuvre, or as my mate shaun did drive into a skip, and i don;t mean a collision, I mean parking IN the skip

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:13 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 09 September 2013 - 10:17 PM.

in the US you take driver's ed in public schools.

almost ALL driver's ed programs use automatic cars.

they don't teach kids how to drive a stick because there's no assumption that most people would want to drive stick.

you have to assume that the average person is only ever going to drive automatic since most vehicles on the road are automatic.

Hmm, fair enough.

But how do Americans manage to fair when visiting places such as here in the UK, where manual vehicles are pretty much the overwhelmingly chosen self-transportation? There's no mandatory foreign-travelling extension that needs to be added to a standard US license as far as I'm aware. 

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

they don't teach kids how to drive a stick because there's no assumption that most people would want to drive stick.

you have to assume that the average person is only ever going to drive automatic since most vehicles on the road are automatic.

Hmm, fair enough.

But how do Americans manage to fair when visiting places such as here in the UK? There's no mandatory foreign-travelling extension that needs to be added to a standard US license as far as I'm aware.

Drivers Ed is an elected class so not everyone takes it. I learned on a VW Bug.

You will never see me drive an automatic. Not all Americans drive automatics - I still have no idea where that notion came from.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

But how do Americans manage to fair when visiting places such as here in the UK, where manual vehicles are pretty much the overwhelmingly chosen self-transportation? There's no mandatory foreign-travelling extension that needs to be added to a standard US license as far as I'm aware. 

the same way anyone else manages when they go to a foreign country that has a different language or different customs.

you just adapt.

you're either gonna' have to learn how to drive a stick or make sure to find a rental car that's auto.

Not all Americans drive automatics - I still have no idea where that notion came from.

isn't it obvious?

the VAST majority of vehicles on the road in the US are automatics. it's just the norm.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hmm, fair enough.

But how do Americans manage to fair when visiting places such as here in the UK? There's no mandatory foreign-travelling extension that needs to be added to a standard US license as far as I'm aware.

Drivers Ed is an elected class so not everyone takes it. I learned on a VW Bug.

You will never see me drive an automatic. Not all Americans drive automatics - I still have no idea where that notion came from.

So, what exactly is this "driver's ed" programme? Is it some kind of standard tuition to acquire your driving license? Is learning to obtain your license using a manual, considered as some kind of advanced course?

*Yes, I'm too lazy to google.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:42 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 09 September 2013 - 10:44 PM.

@Diablo

Yes, but adapting to native tongue doesn't equate to the measures of safety that driving acquires.

F*ck double post. Apologies.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:46 PM Edited by trip, 09 September 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Not all Americans drive automatics - I still have no idea where that notion came from.

isn't it obvious?

the VAST majority of vehicles on the road in the US are automatics. it's just the norm.

It isn't obvious.  Even my mother drives a manual transmission.  My friends and family aren't gear heads - they are regular people.  I can't think of anyone I know [close] who drives an automatic.  

I just find it odd that the world thinks all Americans drive automatics.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

There's nothing to be afraid of when driving a car. Well, unless you're going at 80 MPH and a huge f*cking 10 point buck steps out in front of you and stares at your headlights and next thing you know it comes smashing through your windshield and bites your face off.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:37 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 09 September 2013 - 11:38 PM.

isn't it obvious?

It isn't obvious.  Even my mother drives a manual transmission.  My friends and family aren't gear heads - they are regular people.  I can't think of anyone I know [close] who drives an automatic.  

I just find it odd that the world thinks all Americans drive automatics.

I read in a magazine two or three days ago that 95% (ninety-five) of all cars sold in the US are automatics.

There's nothing to be afraid of when driving a car. Well, unless you're going at 80 MPH and a huge f*cking 10 point buck steps out in front of you and stares at your headlights and next thing you know it comes smashing through your windshield and bites your face off.

If something goes through your windshield at 80 mph I doubt it'll do much biting at all so its teeth should probably be the least of your concerns?

Yes, driving is a massive responsibility and there are so many things you have to know and do. But that's why we have driving lessons and practicing at home. I remember when I first sat behind the wheel and I was terrified as the speedometer needle approached 10 mph. I never thought I'd be able to get a license, but you will get more comfortable the more you drive and you don't have to do anything for the first time.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:55 PM Edited by ryuclan, 09 September 2013 - 11:57 PM.

Hmm, fair enough.

The issue there isn't learning to drive a standard trans, it's more with learning to shift with your left hand. I believe the pedals are the same.

Also to respond to the deer thing. If you hit a deer going 80 mph it's not going through your windshield...it's going through your car.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

it is obvious :pp

you just happen to know people who prefer a manual gearbox. that's a minority of people.

at least 3/4 of the cars on the road in the US are automatic.

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

I used to feel that way, then my dad made me drive. Ever since I have been fine and I am more comfortable driving than being in the passenger seat.

coolguy96
  • coolguy96

Cool as ice...

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Afraid? no way! im driving since 6 months and i f*cking love it! plus, i can even multitask, lol like smoke a cigarette and talk on the phone at d same time, but i often need to watch myself when my fav music is on. that makes me wanna drive faster. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

I've never been behind the wheel of a car but I doubt it would be that hard to drive. I know how to start up a car, I know which pedals to use, I know how to turn the wheel, I don't think I'd know how to drive stick though. :/

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:51 AM Edited by natethegreatforlife, 10 September 2013 - 12:53 AM.

I've drove a couple times, mainly down a gravel road in rural Pennsylvania near my cabin. I loved it, it was relaxing. However, driving on the freeway through heavy traffic is most likely another story. Of course I was nervous, but once you get used to it the fear goes away. There's still always that thought in the back of your mind that out of nowhere a drunk driver can come and kill you.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

I f*cking love driving and I am glad that I have my own personal vehicle. Outside of the fact that I have to use my vehicle to get to and from work and run personal errands and what not, driving  around clears my mind as well. I'll go out on a nice night and just cruise around and think. Always helps.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Although I'm not overly fond of driving, I was like you; scared of driving. What you need is confidence. And that'll come if you keep driving. My girlfriend makes me drive whenever we go out and that's how I've gotten better at it.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I turn 18 in a month and all my life I had no interest in driving and I haven't attempted to drive a car. Is it because I'm scared to a certain extent? Yes I could admit that but to be honest I'm not sure how to increase my confidence when I start.

Does it just come automatically?   

podyx
  • podyx

Money Maker

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

i was slightly scared the first 2 times driving to

but now im doin 160 on the highway

still havent got my license yet tho, hopefully before christmas, im lazy doe :D

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

My girlfriend makes me drive whenever we go out and that's how I've gotten better at it.

guess we know who wears the man-pants in that relationship.... :pp

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

Don't fear the vehicle, But respect it.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

you just happen to know people who prefer a manual gearbox. that's a minority of people.
95% of new cars sold in US are automatic, clearly more people drive automatic.

I understand this only represents new cars but it is clearly a strong indication that most people drive automatic

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1072784
  • trip likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

95% of new cars sold in US are automatic, clearly more people drive automatic.

I understand this only represents new cars but it is clearly a strong indication that most people drive automatic

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1072784

I know...I know.  But but but...

Ah hell.

*Just remember not ALL Americans drive automatics. :*(

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

I get kind of stressed by city driving, but I get over it once I've been out for a while. Highway driving isn't as stressful to me as it is to others, even in heavy traffic.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

I have yet to drive a car but I'm practicing already and it seems I'm not really scared of driving at all. Just don't be scared on driving one, you should really enjoy it as well.

Morons03
  • Morons03

Angry Gamer-Formerly Postit123

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

I am mostly afraid of other drivers, than anything else. They sometimes make GTA:SA's highway traffic look safer than real traffic. Back when my family and I worked at Louisville South KOA, there were a few wrecks in just the 4 months we were there.

Spoiler

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

My girlfriend makes me drive whenever we go out and that's how I've gotten better at it.

Can't argue with that. Although, it's also because she can't drive and has been pestering me to teach her. Not really confident with teaching someone though.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:04 AM Edited by finn4life, 15 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

Can't argue with that. Although, it's also because she can't drive and has been pestering me to teach her. Not really confident with teaching someone though.

If you start teaching someone, you learn more yourself. When you're teaching someone, just tell them what you do and why you do it, make sure to come across with sound, clear and concise reasoning. Make sure you tell them everything they need to know first, then sit back while they drive and gently offer prompts with space inbetween.
I've trained a few people for various things, and gotten training in turn, what i've said above seems to work best for me and people who are training me.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:55 AM Edited by sivispacem, 15 September 2013 - 10:56 AM.

I've always followed the mantra "if you enjoy something you're more likely to be good at it". Hence I'm wary of crap cars solely for the reason that the people who drive them are unlikely to really have a clue. I'm borderline convinced that Korean MPV drivers kill more innocent people than excessive speed and drug driving combined in the UK.

I love driving, which is great these days as I don't really have to do it for much other than pleasure. There are moments I've been scared on the road-but I firmly believe that if you say "nope, I've never been scared by some of the truly idiotic things other drivers do" then you're most likely part of the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users