darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:42 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 09 September 2013 - 04:42 AM.

I was a bit scared when I had my learners permit.  Terrified at times.  I live in the Los Angeles area, people are f*cking crazy drivers here (much like what TEoS describes), on top of that it's very much a car culture here.  Most people commute 20 miles or more to work, and sometimes spend hours a day inside their car, their car is their life, and they get very aggressive while in it.  It's intimidating.  But you have to just get in that car, and drive.  The more you drive the more comfortable you get.

Also, drivers tests are very intimidating, but it's really no big deal.  Just drive.  9/10 everyone does the right thing in any given situation while driving.  And even if you do that one thing that you do wrong, unless it endangers someone, the tester will shrug it off.

It helped a lot when I was young thinking about all the really stupid people I know that have a driver's license.  There are some f*cking morons that are licensed to drive.  Complete f*cking brain dead morons.  And they drive, and they don't crash.  They get around, and everyone is safe.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

I got my learner's permit a few months after my 15th birthday. I still have it, being 17. I never bothered going out to get my legit license because I'm scared sh*tless of driving. I'm good on motorbikes and bicycles and golf carts,[...]

Does anyone else feel the same way about driving? Do you guys freak out over the thought of being behind the wheel, or are you guys all calm and chill about it?

I would suggest you stick to buses and Motorscooters, and MoPeds. If the relative safety of an enclosed vehicle's body doesn't give you the feeling of power. 

You're more likely to be flattened or made into hamburger by your phantom Semi on foot.... then again, maybe not. After some more thought, you could be taken down by a bicyclist on the sidewalk, or any vehicle in a panda crossing, or a car park, when they pull out without looking.

Gosh, we're not safe anywhere!

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

I like it. Although I nearly had an accident yesterday. The lanes merged on the freeway and the car to my right wouldn't let me in. I had to slam on my brakes as did the others cars behind me trying to merge. 

I'll try to stay in the middle lanes from now on. 

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I don't blame you for being scared.

Driving is the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis and most people take it for granted. Traffic is unpredictable, risk of collision is high, not everyone takes care of their vehicle, and lots of folks text or talk on their phone while driving.

It's really insane when you think about it.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

I've piddled around on my brother's dirtbike and it wasn't too scary. But then again, he lives out in the rural backwoods of costal Virginia. It probably has to do with the kind of car I've driven so far. I'd probably be fine in something like a Yugo, or a Trabant. But no, my mom's gotta be a stereotypical American and drive one of these motherf*cking cocksuckers around, despite having no practical use for an SUV:

If you had a Yugo, you'd have to care more about pushing than driving it...

---

I'm starting today to get my license. I'm kinda worried about when I start the driving classes, especially parking, even if I've been told that is quite easy. Maybe it could be due to the fact that my dad hasn't ever let me drive or practise his car.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've been driving for 10 years and it still scares the sh*t out of me at times. I really don't like driving with other people in the car also.

I'm fine by myself.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Driving is the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis and most people take it for granted. Traffic is unpredictable, risk of collision is high, not everyone takes care of their vehicle, and lots of folks text or talk on their phone while driving.

I wouldn't call it the most dangerous thing we do everyday. I'm an auto tech and I am in cars all day, none of them mine so I never really get comfortable in any car k drive during the day but I do fine. Never been in an accident in my 5 or so years of driving and making sure YOU are doing what you are supposed to do is all you can do to have peace of mind. You can't predict what other people will do but that's life man.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Olympics
  • Contribution Award [Gaming]
    Best Bae 2015

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

I really enjoy driving. I've never been scared, I've been ''behind'' the wheel at a young age and was always around cars growing up so it would be a little silly to be afraid of driving. I do however, think my dads driving is a little crazy but that just comes with years of driving alone myself. I passed my test first time and couldn't wait to get behind the wheel. If anything, I do get a little nervous when I go into new cities when I have to drive - mostly because I don't want to be in the wrong lane and end up getting lost. But other than that I have no issues.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:52 PM Edited by finn4life, 09 September 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Well actually traffic is predictable, there is a reason for traffic lights, stop signs, give way signs, speed limits and the fact that every driver has been trained to a standard before driving on the road. Also risk of collision isn't high unless you're a bad driver. Otherwise collisions are unlikely to occur. 
Driving is dangerous due to the speeds and forces involved, however It;s not nearly as risky as you make it out to be, you're making it sound as if it's unlikely you do not have an accident.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I got my permit the day I turned 15 and my licence the day I turned 16 and been driving ever since. Even before that my parents would let me drive the back roads back from town every once in a while. 

I love driving, it's so freeing and relaxing to me, I'll just put in a good cd and drive around for good hour or so just for the enjoyment of it. Only until recently did I start driving a manual transmission, it puts you in direct control of the car as opposed to an automatic making you feel like you're driving a go-kart around.

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

YourGirlRunHerFingersThruMyHair

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Not afraid of driving at all.

Hell, I can't wait to drive!  :D

I get my Learners Permit next year when I turn 15, I drove a car 3 times, and I have to say that it isn't hard to do at all.

When I get my real license, i'll be spending the first few days doing nothing but driving.  :D 

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I still find it strange how you can be in charge of a car and in charge of several peoples lives before you're legally allowed to buy alcohol in the UK. I've always found that strange.

@MiamiViceCity: What makes you scared when other people are in the car with you? Is it the fact that they rely on you to get them somewhere safely or what

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Never been in a real car

Wait what? How is this even possible?

I think he means he's never droven a real car.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

If you're scared of driving an automatic then I wouldn't suggest trying to drive a manual, like never ever.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

I love driving - I drive mainly in central London, as part of my job I get to occasionally drive the London Black cab and the Mercedes Vito around.

The only thing that really WINDS me up though is those damn f*cking annoying dangerous think they are invincible poxy push bike riders... oh and I dislike round-a-bouts (traffic light controlled ones are ok though)

Have only ever had once accident when a I was hit on the M4 motorway near Heathrow - he scratched the side of my car (very lightly) then tried to sue me for whiplash... Pfft  

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (Πvar.ΣΓ01122599)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:25 PM Edited by _____, 09 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

I wonder how many of you that said driving is easy drive a car with automatic transmission.

I started driver's ed not too long ago and I drove a few times (my dad's car for the most part). I was quite scared at first because I kept messing up, either by releasing the clutch too fast or by failing to shift gears properly. Yeah, most of the people here drive cars with manual transmission and I don't think driving schools here have cars with automatic ones, or at least it's not common. I'm currently pretty good at driving. Shifting gears is probably my favorite aspect of it. I would not buy a car with automatic transmission. It makes driving too easy.

Also, there is no such a thing as learner's permit or provisional license here, you aren't even allowed to drive cars other than the one from driving school, regardless of how old you are or who is in the car with you.

I do enjoy driving now, after I have gotten good at it. I'm kind of eager to drive again.

III H1TMaN III
  • III H1TMaN III

The Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yes, I hate it. It is nothing but a stressfull and nervous period of time... Tomorrow I have driving lesson again, and in 2 weeks I have my 2nd try at a driving exam.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Pretty much all of Europe has cars with manual transmission...and front wheel drive :barf:

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Lucky for you, you can properly ride a bike. Me? I'm just afraid of the f*cking road. When I ride my bicycle, everything in my body panics that I have to stop every other minute. Well, that's the thrill of riding a bike in the road.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Lucky for you, you can properly ride a bike. Me? I'm just afraid of the f*cking road. When I ride my bicycle, everything in my body panics that I have to stop every other minute. Well, that's the thrill of riding a bike in the road.

Seriously?

tumblr_mgdnr6Qsbj1qb05aco1_250.gif

Marwin
  • Marwin

tilgi dem ikke; de vet hvad de gjør!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

nigga, I learned to drive in this:

fiat-ducato-ii-maxi-4x4-m1c-234.476.0-19

Just suck it up. It's scary the first few times for everyone just get over it

• Mr. Scratch likes this

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:51 PM Edited by VF94, 09 September 2013 - 06:52 PM.

That's a f*cking Fiat, here have this as a token of my admiration. :breadfish:

• DJ Arrt likes this

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm so overconfident and relaxed while driving I don't spend much time looking where I'm going tbh, but 7 months with my license and not the slightest dent in my car so far

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:19 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 09 September 2013 - 07:20 PM.

I am. I rarely drive. Although the more accurate thing to say would be that I'm scared of other drivers on the road. 99% of the drivers in my country should not f*ckin' have a license. They drink and drive, talk on the phone and drive, don't wear their prescription glasses, don't respect the rules of the road etc. Every time I'm behind the wheel I think it's my last day on Earth.

Marwin
  • Marwin

tilgi dem ikke; de vet hvad de gjør!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you ask me, that's a sign of a good driver; assuming everyone else can't drive for sh*t. This means you'd always be on your toes, imagining worst case scenarios every time

• Ex Hellraiser likes this

bread
  • bread

Nutrition Facts not needed

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

16 with my permit. I love driving, whenever my mom and I wanna go to the mall or get groceries and sh*t at Shop Rite I'd be the one behind the wheel instead of her (she's real nervous when it comes to driving).

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

What is that a Ford Explorer? Those aren't that bad. What you need to do is stop focusing on the fact that you're driving and focus on where you're going. My first time actually driving (on the street and on the highway) I was so nervouse I couldn't feel my legs after I was done. But after that it was awesome. It's soothing to me and I often use it as time to think about things and make decisions. Its not something to be scared of, but if you have no desire to do it then you don't have to. I find it weird though that you ride motocycles but are afraid of driving a car...

Also driving is easier in real life than in games. There is so much tactile feedback to let you know whats going on and once you have a car of you own the thing will practically drive itself.

You shouldn't be driving. You shouldn't think about anything that isn't directly connected to driving.
 As for the OP, imagine learning to drive in Europe with a manual. For a beginner it's a nightmare. I've failed my driving test twice for petty reasons.Third time on Wednesday. Third time's the charm right?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

I wonder how many of you that said driving is easy drive a car with automatic transmission.

driving IS easy.

automatic or manual transmission; it's irrelevant.

obviously an automatic doesn't require any extra thought.

but it doesn't take more than an hour or 2 to learn how to drive stick. and once you know, it doesn't make driving itself any more difficult.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

So is it true that the majority of Americans drive automatic cars? Are you taught how to drive manual motors while learning for a standard test over there?

I once had a little taste of my big sisters automatic BMW, and f*cking hated it. You don't feel anywhere near as in control, which I guess is a pretty f*cking obvious statement. But there's no way I could commute using an auto. No way.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

in the US you take driver's ed in public schools.

almost ALL driver's ed programs use automatic cars.

they don't teach kids how to drive a stick because there's no assumption that most people would want to drive stick.

you have to assume that the average person is only ever going to drive automatic since most vehicles on the road are automatic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users