49 Square Miles

Map Size
94 replies to this topic
ComradVladimir
  • ComradVladimir

Partying hard Kremlin style

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I was intrigued about how big 49 square miles would be and how to visualize it, so i plotted roughly 49 miles by 49 miles and its bigger than i thought. I then plotted a route from the west to the east side of this area to see how long it would take to drive and to walk. Bare in mind it is only a rough idea because google maps doesnt account for driving off road lol.

Driving would take between 1 hour and 7 minutes to 1 hour and 23 minutes. If you look at the picture it says 60 miles but bare in mind it isnt a straight route from a to b, the winding about (if you stick to the roads) adds a few more miles.

Some people mentioned walking it, so i checked that too. Between 18 hours and 33 minutes to 18 hours and 54 minutes, f#ck that! Not sure that it would actually take that long but if you bare in mind its calculated on WALKING and not running, i dunno, maybe. I certainly wont be doing it anyway!

49squaremiles_zps305f37ae.png

I'm not entirely sure if you're serious or not, but if you are: 49 sq. miles is NOT the same as 49 miles by 49 miles. The latter equates to a sliiiiightly bigger 2401 sq. miles, which is massive and TBH impossible to achieve in a game this detailed. 

• Vormek and Frantz Fuchs like this

ryanhunter_rfc
  • ryanhunter_rfc

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

No No No NO NO NO! This is the size of the blue print map, not the size of island(s). This is how people get disappointed. They build their hopes up so much on a load of bullsh*t and then they go crying to Rockstar on the Newswire comments. It's pathetic.

lefantome
  • lefantome

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

these are 49 sq miles in LA

2nCiF3e.jpg

Njale
  • Njale

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

The game world will be around 22 square miles without counting in the underwater and interiors, you can check the los santos size thread it's pretty well explained there. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mamunda
  • Mamunda

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:05 AM Edited by Mamunda, 08 September 2013 - 11:06 AM.

The game world will be around 22 square miles without counting in the underwater and interiors, you can check the los santos size thread it's pretty well explained there. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yeah, who the f*ck needs underwater areas THAT big?

Underwater + interiors will take 50% of the map or more, so the landmass will not be that impressive

Underwater = slow = boring as f*ck

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah well, this guy tweeted that rockstar said it to him, why would they lie? What the f*ck do people in LS size thread know? They only know roughly the size of LS, and it's based on guesses.

^

Also, Mamunda, water isn't boring. We have boats and jet ski's and f*cks knows we can use for the water. So shut up. And interiors take 50% of the map, are you f*cking stupid?

GTA-Addicted
  • GTA-Addicted

And as finishing touch... ...God created the Dutch

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:10 AM Edited by GTA Adicted, 08 September 2013 - 11:10 AM.

There is a difference between the total mass (Land, sea, interiors) and the landmass itself....

alz-yer-pal
  • alz-yer-pal

taliBAM ActTuffGetMuff

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

steak shaped island....people wanting realistic steak.....its all falling into place

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Look at my sig. It's a wild guess, though.

Umm... GTA V is one big steak-shaped island, not two.

Dan Houser said RDR is twice the size of SA.

SA is 14 sq. mi.

So, RDR is 28 sq. mi.

GTA V will be 3.5x the size of RDR

3.5x the size of RDR is 98sq. mi.

I don't think Los Santos and Blaine County is 98 sq. mi big.

Also, don't forget that I haven't included the "1.5x RDR's map" in calculating.

Mamunda
  • Mamunda

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:14 AM Edited by Mamunda, 08 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.

SA is 14 sq. mi.

So, RDR is 28 sq. mi.

Dan Houser LIES and just takes wild guesses. It's not like he actually calculates sizes

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:14 AM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 08 September 2013 - 11:16 AM.

There is a difference between the total mass (Land, sea, interiors) and the landmass itself....

Of course. But remember the tweeter said that's the minimum they said to him, so it could be even 60 if Rockstar tell him. The ocean takes up 25% of the map, and the city will be 1/3 or if we are LUCKY this time, MAYBE, just MAYBE even a half, and the air doesn't count because that's everywhere. But with the air, it depends if it is going to be inaccessible depending how far we are allowed to go, I hope it's not locked. But altitude really doesn't matter, that's only if u are talking about draw distance down towards the map.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:16 AM Edited by DODI3OG, 08 September 2013 - 11:17 AM.

SA is 14 sq. mi.

So, RDR is 28 sq. mi.

Dan Houser LIES and just takes wild guesses. It's not like he actually calculates sizes

Well, that's your belief. I won't force you to believe the same "words" that I do believe in.

Let's play an "I told you so" game, shall we? :D

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

SA is 14 sq. mi.

So, RDR is 28 sq. mi.

There is a topic that describes all of this. Also, SA has a bigger map than San Andreas #scientificfax

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

Thats What She Said

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:20 AM Edited by Pizentu, 08 September 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Of course. But remember the tweeter said that's the minimum they said to him, so it could be even 60 if Rockstar tell him. The ocean takes up 25% of the map, and the city will be 1/3 or if we are LUCKY this time, MAYBE, just MAYBE even a half, and the air doesn't count because that's everywhere. But with the air, it depends if it is going to be inaccessible depending how far we are allowed to go, I hope it's not locked. But altitude really doesn't matter, that's only if u are talking about draw distance down towards the map.

The tweet did NOT say that "RockStar told him". It said : R*'s own info, showing scale of map compared to previous titles. It may well be larger than 49 sq m but that's the min.

Meaning he is going off of what others have said the size of the maps were. If he was told by Rockstar he wouldnt say "It may be well Larger". So "49 Square miles" is NOT confirmed and is as a good a guess as the mappers from this forum. 

• ECDT1089 likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

The tweet did NOT say that "RockStar told him". It said : R*'s own info, showing scale of map compared to previous titles. It may well be larger than 49 sq m but that's the min.

Meaning he is going off of what others have said the size of the maps were. If he was told by Rockstar he wouldnt say "It may be well Larger". So "49 Square miles" is NOT confirmed and is as a good a guess as the mappers from this forum. 

Ok fair enough. The way he wrote it confused me for a second. But what do you think? What is your guess on the map size? I still stand by what I said about the statistics I replied to GTA Adicted.

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

Thats What She Said

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Ok fair enough. The way he wrote it confused me for a second. But what do you think? What is your guess on the map size? I still stand by what I said about the statistics I replied to GTA Adicted.

I have no clue. I just know there are tons of numbers out there. We wont know till the game is out. 

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:37 AM Edited by gwaha, 08 September 2013 - 11:40 AM.

@DODI3OG

Your map size for RDR is completely wrong because you count inaccessible areas in RDR plus some more. Even if we count RDR with the inaccessible area RDR is only at most 26 square kilometers, not 28 square miles or 72 square kilometers. Your RDR map size is almost 3 times bigger than the actual size. The accessible/playable area in RDR is 5.09 square miles.

Your size for GTA SA is about right. It is about 13.8 square miles.

See F4t4l1ty's numbers:

http://gtaforums.com...alysis/page-223

MintBerryCrunch
  • MintBerryCrunch

It's meeeeeee!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:41 AM Edited by MintBerryCrunch, 08 September 2013 - 11:42 AM.

49 square miles is roughly around a 6 x 8 mile game world (God I HATE working out numbers and maths!  :cry:  ).

But hey ho, 49 sq miles is good enough for lil old me. :lol:

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:49 AM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 08 September 2013 - 11:53 AM.

I do not think that the map is in fact 49 square miles big. Are they talking about 2D- or 3D space? Anyway, if you want to estimate the possible map size of the game, then you have to do some math with the information we have.

If you have read the December issue of the Game Informer cover-story, which featured GTAV, then you know that the map will be bigger than San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption combined, including interiors, the underwater world and room to spare. Now comes the question how big are the gameworlds of each of these titles?

It was confirmed many years ago that San Andreas' map is exactly 13.9 square miles big. Looking at the official map, it does make sense; the resolution is 6000x6000 pixels, which are 36,000,000 pixels in total; and if you think about it, you will realize that this are exactly 36x10^6 square meter. So, basically, the amount of pixels and square meters equals to each other. The result is 36 square kilometers, which in turn are 13.9 square miles. The official map is scaled in one meter per pixel resolution. I and others have used several methods in the past to prove that this is true, and that it is the case with all Rockstar titles, at least this console generation.

GTA IV's map is around 6.25 square miles big; that includes the entire land mass, which is about 3.45 square miles big if I remember correctly, and the water between the islands.

RDR's map size is the probably most argued one of all these games. All I can say is that it's definitely not 28 square miles big, that's very wrong. You can do in-game measurements, as well as in every other game, to calculate the size of the map. If you do it with the right methods, then the result should be fairly accurate. Using the official map of the game, which has a resolution of 7500x5500 pixels, you can try to remove the pixels of the wasted area and the water that is outside of the playable area with Photoshop. I did that some time ago, and the result was that the map is around 6.5 square miles big. If you include the inaccessible area, then the area is around 11 to 12 square miles big.

So, to make it a bit easier to comprehend; San Andreas' map is 13.9 sqm; HD-era Liberty  City is 6.25 sqm; and Red Dead Redemption's map is around 6.5 sqm big, if you do not count the inaccessible area. Just to let you know, those numbers represent the in-game area of these games as 2D space, not 3D space. If you would calculate all that together, then you see that GTAV's map would be around 25 square miles big.

The fact that GI considered interiors and alike means they were most probably talking about the 3D space, which would mean the 2D-space would be even smaller. I'm not up to date when it comes to the latest estimations, but the latest number I remember was that the gameworld in V is around 20 square miles big, which is one and a half times bigger than Rockstars biggest map to date.

• ComradVladimir likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:58 AM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 08 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

I do not think that the map is in fact 49 square miles big. Are they talking about 2D- or 3D space? Anyway, if you want to estimate the possible map size of the game, then you have to do some math with the information we have.

If you have read the December issue of the Game Informer cover-story, which featured GTAV, then you know that the map will be bigger than San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption combined, including interiors, the underwater world and room to spare. Now comes the question how big are the gameworlds of each of these titles?

It was confirmed many years ago that San Andreas' map is exactly 13.9 square miles big. Looking at the official map, it does make sense; the resolution is 6000x6000 pixels, which are 36,000,000 pixels in total; and if you think about it, you will realize that this are exactly 36x10^6 square meter. So, basically, the amount of pixels and square meters equals to each other. The result is 36 square kilometers, which in turn are 13.9 square miles. The official map is scaled in one meter per pixel resolution. I and others have used several methods in the past to prove that this is true, and that it is the case with all Rockstar titles, at least this console generation.

GTA IV's map is around 6.25 square miles big; that includes the entire land mass, which is about 3.45 square miles big if I remember correctly, and the water between the islands.

RDR's map size is the probably most argued one of all these games. All I can say is that it's definitely not 28 square miles big, that's very wrong. You can do in-game measurements, as well as in every other game, to calculate the size of the map. If you do it with the right methods, then the result should be fairly accurate. Using the official map of the game, which has a resolution of 7500x5500 pixels, you can try to remove the pixels of the wasted area and the water that is outside of the playable area with Photoshop. I did that some time ago, and the result was that the map is around 6.5 square miles big. If you include the inaccessible area, then the area is around 11 to 12 square miles big.

So, to make it a bit easier to comprehend; San Andreas' map is 13.9 sqm; HD-era Liberty  City is 6.25 sqm; and Red Dead Redemption's map is around 6.5 sqm big, if you do not count the inaccessible area. Just to let you know, those numbers represent the in-game area of these games as 2D space, not 3D space. If you would calculate all that together, then you see that GTAV's map would be around 25 square miles big.

The fact that GI considered interiors and alike means they were most probably talking about the 3D space, which would mean the 2D-space would be even smaller. I'm not up to date when it comes to the latest estimations, but the latest number I remember was that the gameworld in V is around 20 square miles big, which is one and a half times bigger than Rockstars biggest map to date.

RDR wasn't their biggest map to date. How can it be 1.5x bigger if RDR was 6.5 sq miles, and as you say V is 25 sq miles which is actually 3.5x bigger. You're removing those 5 sq miles for no reason from V, it's not an unplayable area. 6.5 x 3.5 = 22.75 as a matter of fact, so it's 3.8 x bigger specifically which comes to 24.75. The problem is that it's been quoted so many f*cking times in different phrases which is confusing us. Let's see how it turns out.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

I was intrigued about how big 49 square miles would be and how to visualize it, so i plotted roughly 49 miles by 49 miles and its bigger than i thought. I then plotted a route from the west to the east side of this area to see how long it would take to drive and to walk. Bare in mind it is only a rough idea because google maps doesnt account for driving off road lol.
Driving would take between 1 hour and 7 minutes to 1 hour and 23 minutes. If you look at the picture it says 60 miles but bare in mind it isnt a straight route from a to b, the winding about (if you stick to the roads) adds a few more miles.
Some people mentioned walking it, so i checked that too. Between 18 hours and 33 minutes to 18 hours and 54 minutes, f#ck that! Not sure that it would actually take that long but if you bare in mind its calculated on WALKING and not running, i dunno, maybe. I certainly wont be doing it anyway!
49squaremiles_zps305f37ae.png

hahahahahahahaha omg.

Are you trolling? If not, you're really bad at maths. Like really bad. This is basic KS2 maths which you failed miserably on.

49 miles by 49 miles is NOT 49 sq. miles. It's 2401 sq. miles. Looks like you don't know how to calculate an area of a square.

GTA-Addicted
  • GTA-Addicted

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I have no clue. I just know there are tons of numbers out there. We wont know till the game is out. 

Yeah we've got a lot of different numbers

- Land size is 3.5 times RDR, with water and interiors it's 5 times RDR

- V is bigger than SA, IV and RDR combined

- Los Santos will be a bit bigger than LC

Those are the numbers still sticking in my head, we've got them from the early previews

TheTruthOnly
  • TheTruthOnly

Street Cat

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:06 PM Edited by TheTruthOnly, 08 September 2013 - 12:10 PM.

If RDR was twice the size of San Andreas and you people saying it's bullsh*t, then maybe 13 square miles in SA map was also a lie. Somebody ever tried measure SA map or you just take that it's 6x6 km?

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:08 PM Edited by gwaha, 08 September 2013 - 12:11 PM.

RDR wasn't their biggest map to date. How can it be 1.5x bigger if RDR was 6.5 sq miles, and as you say V is 25 sq miles which is actually 3.5x bigger. You're removing those 5 sq miles for no reason from V, it's not an unplayable area. 6.5 x 3.5 = 22.75 as a matter of fact, so it's 3.8 x bigger specifically which comes to 24.75. The problem is that it's been quoted so many f*cking times in different phrases which is confusing us. Let's see how it turns out.

Carl CJ is not saying that RDR was there biggest map to date. He is saying that GTA 5's map is 1.5 bigger than the biggest map to date which is GTA SA.

And no, he isn't removing a number for no reason at all. The 20 square miles number comes from the estimate of the current map size based on the blueprint map and the achievement map outline.

@TheTruthOnly

Many people have tried to measure GTA SA's map and the number is not a lie.

People simply think RDR is the biggest map but feelings are often wrong and it is mainly thanks to riding horses mostly. The slower the mode of transportation the bigger the map will seem.

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't think some of you understand what square mileage is....

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 08 September 2013 - 12:25 PM.

How can it be 1.5x bigger if RDR was 6.5 sq miles, and as you say V is 25 sq miles which is actually 3.5x bigger. You're removing those 5 sq miles for no reason from V, it's not an unplayable area. 6.5 x 3.5 = 22.75 as a matter of fact, so it's 3.8 x bigger specifically which comes to 24.75. The problem is that it's been quoted so many f*cking times in different phrases which is confusing us. Let's see how it turns out.

I see where you are coming from, but we are talking about two different statements here. I was talking about the information we have got in the GI cover-story. It was stated that the entire map of GTAV is bigger than the three mentioned games combined. The statement you refer to is from a Q&A, but I can not remember from which source; however I remember it was stated that the land area is 3.5 times the size of RDR, whereas the underwater environment is 1.5 times the size of RDR, making the map in general around 5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption. That is fairly close to 'IV, SA and RDR combined'. Of course, it's not very accurate; it is not meant to be accurate after all, it should just give you an idea of how big the map is.

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

The tweet did NOT say that "RockStar told him". It said : R*'s own info, showing scale of map compared to previous titles. It may well be larger than 49 sq m but that's the min.[/size]

Dude, your signature! I like it! RESPECT+

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well for those that wanted to know, it appears The Scotsman (http://www.scotsman....sales-1-3081943) have let out the map size of the game in their article: 

The new game revolves around a satirical recreation of southern California. With players able to switch between three protagonists, the 49-square-mile world boasts a welter of activities, such as scuba diving with sharks and hijacking trains

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

NICE!

GTA-Addicted
  • GTA-Addicted

• Members
  • Netherlands