Sam Houser Interview with The Sunday Times

26 replies to this topic
copperrobber
  • copperrobber

My idol is Sam Houser

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Heres a little part of the interview summed up by eurogamer, its not the full interview.

http://www.eurogamer...ks-out-on-gta-5

Would be great if someone could post the real interview by TST, you need to be subscribed to view it  :(

http://www.thesunday...icle1308914.ece

• madmodmakergtaiv likes this

madmodmakergtaiv
  • madmodmakergtaiv

Gta mod community contributer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Great post. After reading it I have a feeling a lot more boring non gta for life hot coffee hating fans will be playing this and not just typical gamers and gta fans. God help us all.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Great post. After reading it I have a feeling a lot more boring non gta for life hot coffee hating fans will be playing this and not just typical gamers and gta fans. God help us all.

Can you quote the whole article, please? c:

• jv95_ likes this

madmodmakergtaiv
  • madmodmakergtaiv

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I was talking about the article about the article lol. I'm still eagerly awaiting the sun article too

jv95_
  • jv95_

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Rockstar founder Sam Houser has shed personal light on the lengths that he and his team go to when creating games such as Grand Theft Auto, comparing the process to the famously turbulent shoot of director Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now.

"We've all seen Hearts of Darkness," Houser said in a rare interview granted with The Sunday Times printed this weekend, speaking in reference to the documentary that shows the torturous conditions in which Apocalypse Now was made. "We're definitely in that realm of excitement and misery at the same time. It's not supposed to be easy. Each time, we push everything to its limit. I don't think it's conscious, but it's sort of how it has to be. It has to hurt more. You want to find Kurtz every time."

Grand Theft Auto's success since it entered the mainstream conscience has ensured the series has endured an often turbulent ride, most famously with the Hot Coffee scandal that saw Rockstar being lambasted by US governors and finding themselves facing severe charges in court.

"Life ground to a halt," Houser said in his most candid engagement of the saga to date. "It's just vote-winning, and they don't care if they ruin your life, because these people are thinking on a macro level. If there's a little bit of collateral damage, it doesn't matter, does it?" Eliot Spitzer, one of the governors most vocal in opposition to GTA and in particular its inclusion of prostitute characters, was himself involved in a prostitution scandal in 2008. "The hypocrisy is so funny, you can't make it up," said Houser.

The controversy that Grand Theft Auto has attracted comes part and parcel of the video game medium's move towards maturity, and as it finds itself being attacked with the same scorn from mainstream media outlets that was once reserved for filmmakers. "Gamers are growing up, though we are still 10-20 years from all people in governance or authority understanding that it's the same as any other art form and should not be singled out," said Houser. "We're evolving. These kinds of things don't happen overnight."

Grand Theft Auto 5, which has events such as the global financial crisis in its sights and is set to be a more contemporary satire than has been attempted before in the medium, looks to to take that on and work towards furthering the cultural acceptance of video games. "With this one, we've moved it forward because there's a lot of material going on to riff on and have fun with. I think that makes it feel very contemporary, which I'm really proud of. It's a game that is commenting all the things that are going on in the world, good, bad and indifferent. If that doesn't show the emergence of the medium, then I don't know what does."

Grand Theft Auto 5 takes place in Los Santos, a spin on Los Angeles that is Rockstar's most detailed open world yet. It's also set to be one of its best supported, too, with Grand Theft Auto Online due shortly after Grand Theft Auto 5's release and with regular updates being made to the game world. "What's really exciting is that we're more engaged on what we do with it going forward," said Houser. "I'm able to calm myself. I can kind of go, 'Well, it's not farewell.'"
  • Ferocious Banger and madmodmakergtaiv like this

dimitrispgr
  • dimitrispgr

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

full article is here : http://www.thesunday...icle1308914.ece

anyone subscribed to times?

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I am, uploading it from my iPad now..
  • Lastofus likes this

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

gjf0.jpg
  • dimitrispgr, Lastofus and Udrift like this

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

mj23.jpg
r8p1.jpg
rr8p.jpg
  • Costar, theonlytobyever, copperrobber and 7 others like this

copperrobber
  • copperrobber

My idol is Sam Houser

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

mj23.jpg
r8p1.jpg
rr8p.jpg

thanks alot man !

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

thanks alot man !

No problem :)
  • dant40nova, INFYN and Lastofus like this

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

TLDR anything new?

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

They have plans to keep updating GTA after launch/.... not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I like it. 

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Probably in reference to GTA online, but I've read various articles that say r* want to expand the world they have created this time.. So who knows?
  • Lastofus likes this

jato4x4
  • jato4x4

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for posting the screen shots. It was a good read.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Probably in reference to GTA online, but I've read various articles that say r* want to expand the world they have created this time.. So who knows?

Yeah.. I'm still hoping expansion packs for single player as well. They don't call them DLC (yet) cause they still have to work the money out with Sony and MS and don't want to confirm it before that's done, it would weaken their bargaining stance. 

madmodmakergtaiv
  • madmodmakergtaiv

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Best article ever.

FranklinsHomieLamar
  • FranklinsHomieLamar

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Great Interview :beerhat:

OurMotherEarth
  • OurMotherEarth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

I like that Sam Houser guy.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

They have plans to keep updating GTA after launch/.... not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I like it. 

Add more DLC to it. Such as stations, weapons and so on. Dont think it will be free though.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

I almost physically ache for the game reading this. 

I likened a full blown GTA release to a Star Wars sequel just the other day. Now the development time has doubled, it seems even more like a cultural event comared to the 3D era games. Trying to predict where Rockstar will take the franchise next, is like trying to predict what the electronics industry will be like in a decade. I mean, how long is it going to take to try to top this? I can see the Houser's (and the rest of the creative team) driving themselves mad trying to one up themselves.

• Udrift likes this

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Awesome read, thanks! +1!

Miilan2010
  • Miilan2010

CE Owner as of 17th Sept.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Nice one bro, thanks!

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

The images in this thread don't appear to be loading..  :(

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

They just have for me? They are posted in the news section too, try those?
  • Kemo66 likes this

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

They just have for me? They are posted in the news section too, try those?

works fine now, probably a bit of ISP lag my end. Thank you for uploading, a great read.  :^:

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

I almost physically ache for the game reading this. 

I mean, how long is it going to take to try to top this? I can see the Houser's (and the rest of the creative team) driving themselves mad trying to one up themselves.

It's crazy, this effin crave for this game to come out keeps on getting worse. It's a completely foreign feeling for me, I can't stand it.

Besides better graphics, framerate and size of the game, I think they already know  where they are going with next gen. I'm sure there are a lot of things they wanted/tried to put in this game but couldn't. 5 years is a long time to come up with ideas. Maybe they don't have an exact picture of it, but I think they know the areas they are going to build on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users