Storms

57 replies to this topic
Marabunta Grande
  • Marabunta Grande

Azul y Blanco

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

This doesnt have to do with rain and thunder.

but Snow.
I know about the snowy town yadda yadda.

but the properties of the snow itself.

will it be.. thick? and slow your car down?  get stuck?  slide? (think thats obvious). snow plows?  ice?

I'm really excited to take a step on 

Spoiler
 soil snow as well as the cities(and their respective countryside(maybe))of 
Spoiler

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

They've always done weather well.. and V's location allows them to pull out all the stops and have everything from blue sky and sunshine to severe thunderstorms. 

Couple of things I've noted:

-wind is present and has a lot more effect on scenes, even throwing up sand sprays on the beach

-nighttime looks way, way better than IV and RDR even. It's a lot darker and at the same time more nuanced. The city in the rain at night is going to be sight to behold and probably the prettiest thing you'll ever see on your old console. 

But thinking about weather really makes me wonder about the timescale. That's the only thing I'm still really curious about. I really liked RDR's longer cycle, making this possible:

RDR storms are long-lived and are excellent, and there seems to be a kind of darkening buildup before they start, really nice.  

IV's cycle was too short, even for that game. It was comical. Taking Roman bowling was annoying especially if you consider it could take up like 10 in-game hours..

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

YESS :) i well prefer rain and stormy weather in games, its more immersive for me, also good weather systems in games always give an incredible atmosphere...so i bet 5 will just be the bomb in this department ;D cant blinkin wait now

LaDispute
  • LaDispute

Los Santos, baby!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:46 AM Edited by LaDispute, 08 September 2013 - 11:10 AM.

I absolutely love thunderstorms, had a huge one here in Aus, two nights ago, I can't wait to go to Chilliad woods, mountain top, and sit on the ocean in a boat while a huge storm rages on.

Edit: Also while flying a plane. :p

Northeern
  • Northeern

Outlaws till the end

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

The fact that helicopters and planes will experience turbulence is just amazing! Hope we'll be able to crosswind land like you do in real life.

I hated thunder storms in IV for one reason. It was impossible to see sh*t at night because of the blur. The blur ruined a lot of the graphics experience IMO. Rain along with bright light at night just didn't look right. Seeing as blur has been removed in V surely is promising.
It's a while since I've played RDR so I don't remember the storms in that game.

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

How often? still no seasons in 2013

Derr1
  • Derr1

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'd love for there to be torrential rain while in Los Santos. Then I'd hop into my car and cruise on the freeway while it's raining and I'd stare at the dark storm clouds and the lightning bolts and listen out for the thunder  and splashing the puddles and the poor people on the sidewalks.

Costar
  • Costar

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well a little old, this guy talks a little about it

IF any *natural disasters* are in the game, I'd say probably the most likely would be earthquakes since CA is already known for that. They arent well-known for snow but... honestly it would seem kind of silly to have snow in the game except as some kind of option in the phone "snowy weather." Snow is more of a seasonal event than an "any time" type of weather event. You can have rain all year long, even in winter, it just usually turns to snow and ice if temps are low enough. You dont expect temps to drop up to 60 degrees on a 90+ degree summer day in sunny CA for about 3-4 hours for snow to appear and then be gone. IF there is snow, maybe it only comes in at times on the mountainous areas.

I really wouldnt care to be in a tornado in the game unless I can control it, make it take all my pursuing enemies/cops away :lol:

UltimateVenom
  • UltimateVenom

We are Vemon!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Would be good to see a random tree get hit by lighting!

or even better a ped... :devil:

Skozza89
  • Skozza89

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah the storm screenshot looks beautiful and i'm assuming it looks as great in the game. Actually being in it would be great. N yeah some sort of build up would be nice. Gradually clouds overhead before BOOM a downpour. Great that turbulence is in. I know the IGN Q and A thing mentioned crosswinds with a helicopter on top of Mt. Chilliad. 

Sylent01
  • Sylent01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

....Forgot to add that I am excited to fly in the storms as well. I read on one of the IGN articles that planes experience turbulence. Should be insane trying to fly a small plane through a huge storm. Also the ocean should be insanely rough as well.

I want to fly above a storm, jump out and then free-fall through the lightning and wind and then parachute to the ground.

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yes, ofcourse they will re-use the best things from RDR like storms and puddles.

FruitLoop
  • FruitLoop

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I hope we can get struck by lightning

rescue06
  • rescue06

captain stabbin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

they should have the EAS on the tv and radios, the national weather service issuing severe thunderstorm, tornado, flash flood warnings, etc.

arrowface10
  • arrowface10

The Protagonist

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

This is pretty cool, and I am excited to see this. 

6.3 AMG
  • 6.3 AMG

V8 Fetishist

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm very hyped for the weather system. Even GTA IV had great thunderstorms in my opinion (especially the audio). V will bring this to the next level!

Draigon
  • Draigon

I felt muscular & compacted like Corned Beef

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Loved the RDR Thunderstorms, apart from them looking great they seemed to last quite a while too, i remember in SP i had a thunderstorm last a good 15/20 minutes. For a few minutes i just stood there and watched the sky. Like someone said the ones in IV were decent but they didn't normally last that long normally.

Im looking forward to seeing the ones on V.

Drwho94
  • Drwho94

Time Disruption

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Going to be in a Boat in the middle of the ocean in a storm. Gonna see what happens.

Saliva
  • Saliva

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

I thought maybe the game would start with stormy weather.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Storms never last, do they baby?

I agree. I can't wait to be in the country and watch a thunderstorm. Those lightning strikes look cool. Maybe lighting can strike trees and stuff and catch it on fire?

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

You made me master of the world where you exist

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Are there really not any windshield wipers?

Malndor
  • Malndor

!?

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:17 PM Edited by Malndor, 08 September 2013 - 03:22 PM.

Is anyone else really excited about the storms? One of my absolute favorite parts about Red Dead Redemption were the storms. I would travel to Thieves Landing just to watch it rain. 

Majorly! Switch to HD, Crank your speakers and hear the boom of thunder with the pita pata of rain & reminisce.

• GTAFan0913 likes this

Champers
  • Champers

Snitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm looking forward to the storms in V, as the ones in IV didn't really last that long, and weren't that powerful as the storms in Red Dead Redemption. I can't wait to see what Rockstar has in store for us with storms and weather.

GTAFan0913
  • GTAFan0913

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Malndor, amazing video. It shows exactly what I was talking about. The atmosphere is stunning. You really feel like you are in the middle of it. I have surround sound in my living room so every time it thunders it shakes my walls lol. I also love how when you walk inside you can still hear the rain hitting the roof and see lightning flashing through the windows. 

Seriously, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games of all time. I can pick that game up and play it any time and enjoy it like I did day one. It really shows how much love Rockstar puts into their games and proves to me that GTA V is going to be my favorite game of all time. 

Tonythomas180
  • Tonythomas180

Football mad

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

im also excited for proper storms and really hope they are progressive. like sitiing on top of chilliad and watch a proper lightning storm miles away over the city. wathcing it get closer to you as it moves across the sky.

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

will sand storms be returning from SA... i dont know if they were in Red Dead (never played the game) but i used to love seeing those in the desert ...

RockStarG
  • RockStarG

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

I love weather and am a borderline fanatic as it goes hand in hand with my passion for aviation, and unlike most I can watch the Weather Channel for hours. Regardless if its a Stormy day or Sunny day I can watch clouds blow across the skyline from my patio all day. Everything from Stratus clouds to Cumulus, high pressure to low pressure, cold fronts & warm fronts, I love it all.

All I watch is the weather channel I'm a storm spotter/chaser. I hear you! You sound just like me.

OT: I think weather in games plays a crucial role in adding to the immersion. I haven't played Red Dead (& not happy about it) but l definitely look toward to a dynamic system.

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Oh yes... really excited. Storms in Red Dead Redemption were great. With an ambient music, riding on a horse during heavy rains, it gave an awesome feeling.

Really looking forward to driving late in night during thunderstorms listening to radio. I have a feeling weather system all over will be even better than RDR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users