» «
Photo

Storms

57 replies to this topic
GTAFan0913
  • GTAFan0913

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:47 AM Edited by GTAFan0913, 08 September 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Is anyone else really excited about the storms? One of my absolute favorite parts about Red Dead Redemption were the storms. I would travel to Thieves Landing just to watch it rain. 

I am assuming they are carrying over the same system for GTA V. It was progressive in RDR, so one minute it would be sunny where you were and you could watch the clouds slowly roll in as it got dark. Then the thunder, and all of a sudden the sky would just bottom out. Amazing sense of atmosphere. And with the added lightning bolts I can't even imagine how amazing it will be.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am excited to fly in the storms as well. I read on one of the IGN articles that planes experience turbulence. Should be insane trying to fly a small plane through a huge storm. Also the ocean should be insanely rough as well. 

• Foxhunt likes this

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

That's a small detail that I'm very excited for as well. Weather is a really big thing for me in games. When it's done really well it enhances the experiences for me by a LOT.

• INFYN and carnage. like this

Tripz
  • Tripz

Dusting Off

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:50 AM Edited by Tripz, 08 September 2013 - 04:50 AM.

Dude it's gonna be amazing. I love how this game gives off so many different vibes. Flying through a thunderstorm... damn nice.

OFFTOPIC: Damn Darkfalcon, we reply to the same topics

GTAFan0913
  • GTAFan0913

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

A night time thunderstorm in the woods should add to that creepiness you were discussing in your other thread. 

• Udrift likes this

yungkrease
  • yungkrease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

thunderstorms, rain, and snow. OH MY

PikachuBoy
  • PikachuBoy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

watching a thunderstorm from under water looking up watching the raindrops hit the surface of the water will look amazing

• GTAFan0913 and Udrift like this

JuankAirPilot
  • JuankAirPilot

playboyXkilled2pac

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

I love weather and am a borderline fanatic as it goes hand in hand with my passion for aviation, and unlike most I can watch the Weather Channel for hours. Regardless if its a Stormy day or Sunny day I can watch clouds blow across the skyline from my patio all day. Everything from Stratus clouds to Cumulus, high pressure to low pressure, cold fronts & warm fronts, I love it all.

OT: I think weather in games plays a crucial role in adding to the immersion. I haven't played Red Dead (& not happy about it) but l definitely look toward to a dynamic system.
  • GTAFan0913 likes this

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

I hope when there are thunderstorms in the game we can see the trees move with the wind and see some stuff flying in the air because of the wind. That would be sweet.

Sneak47
  • Sneak47

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

The storms in GTAIV were good but were over in a matter of seconds. Wish they were like 10 minutes long or something.

Ermac_
  • Ermac_

Tower Master

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Ill know the 17th

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM.

watching a thunderstorm from under water looking up watching the raindrops hit the surface of the water will look amazing

Damn, I can't wait to see what a lightning storm looks like from underwater. :O

@ Sneak47

I agree. They need to last longer.

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Beep, Beep!

• Members
  • India

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Thunderstorm in RDR was great! 

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

The storms in GTAIV were good but were over in a matter of seconds. Wish they were like 10 minutes long or something.

It would be sweet if GTA 5 had a weather channel.

Foxhunt
  • Foxhunt

Highway To Hell

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I hope when there are thunderstorms in the game we can see the trees move with the wind and see some stuff flying in the air because of the wind. That would be sweet.

Me too, watching trees blowing in the wind of a thunder storm would be a lot better then plain static trees. I've really been looking forward to the improved weather system. Imagine riding a trail up the side of mount chiliad at night during a thunder storm and watching the lightning strike in the distance and the flash of light from it, while at the same time, the trees around you are responding to the heavy winds and rain.

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Me too, watching trees blowing in the wind of a thunder storm would be a lot better then plain static trees. I've really been looking forward to the improved weather system. Imagine riding a trail up the side of mount chiliad at night during a thunder storm and watching the lightning strike in the distance and the flash of light from it, while at the same time, the trees around you are responding to the heavy winds and rain.

Yea that would increase the immersion even more. Sadly though I'm not sure thunderstorm weather will be that advanced. Maybe in the next GTA we can expect REALLY advanced weather.

Bobbyleez
  • Bobbyleez

MARK NUTT!!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Another thing in GTA IV was that they were extremely rare, like a full on thunderstorm.... I think I've seen under 10... And I've completed that game thrice.

Sneak47
  • Sneak47

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

It would be sweet if GTA 5 had a weather channel.

Im sure it will. IV had a weather site on the computers, if i remember correctly. Hopefully something can be found on the phone this time around.

GTAFan0913
  • GTAFan0913

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

I love weather and am a borderline fanatic as it goes hand in hand with my passion for aviation, and unlike most I can watch the Weather Channel for hours. Regardless if its a Stormy day or Sunny day I can watch clouds blow across the skyline from my patio all day. Everything from Stratus clouds to Cumulus, high pressure to low pressure, cold fronts & warm fronts, I love it all.

OT: I think weather in games plays a crucial role in adding to the immersion. I haven't played Red Dead (& not happy about it) but l definitely look toward to a dynamic system.

I am a military pilot and weather plays a crucial role in my daily work. I couldn't agree more with you. Good to see others who share similar passions. You really need to play Red Dead Redemption at some point. Even if it is after GTA V. Not a game you should skip. The way the sky looks is amazing, rain or not. Also the water puddles up on the ground and splashes under your horses hooves. Amazing sense of detail and atmosphere. It is why I know GTA V will be absolutely stunning in this area.

I can't wait to see how cars handle off-road when it is storming. Since the ground will likely puddle up, it will add another level of control when making turns, etc. I also wonder if it will dirty up the cars and make it a necessity to have them washed. 

Oh and for those wondering, GTA IV's storms were NOTHING compared to RDR. They were decent, but as said they were far too short. 

GTAFan0913
  • GTAFan0913

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

Yea that would increase the immersion even more. Sadly though I'm not sure thunderstorm weather will be that advanced. Maybe in the next GTA we can expect REALLY advanced weather.

The trees blew in the wind in RDR. Nothing crazy but it was noticeable. Only reason I keep referring to RDR so much is because I have a very strong feeling the system was copied and pasted into GTA V. If so, no one will be disappointed. I also imagine it will be even improved from RDR.

LSPD_Dragon
  • LSPD_Dragon

Police Officer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

Do look forward to driving in the more advance storms that GTA V will have, also being in the middle of the woods for said storms  at night as well.

madmodmakergtaiv
  • madmodmakergtaiv

Gta mod community contributer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:39 AM Edited by madmodmakergtaiv, 08 September 2013 - 05:42 AM.

Swimming in a thunderstorm is really peaceful while heavy rain is hitting the water. I imagine it will be great fun here. I also can't wait for snow if it's in and lightning of course

Mythekos
  • Mythekos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

There's nothing like taking a cruise while it's raining with the occasional thunder boom and lightning flashes, Really is my favorite type of atmosphere.

Odinox
  • Odinox

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

This doesnt have to do with rain and thunder.

but Snow.
I know about the snowy town yadda yadda.

but the properties of the snow itself.

will it be.. thick? and slow your car down?  get stuck?  slide? (think thats obvious). snow plows?  ice?

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

thunderstorms will look amazing.

buxtonbum
  • buxtonbum

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

I am excited for being out at sea in a sail boat when a storm hits!!
  • GTAFan0913 likes this

SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Amazing till that shark fin pops up, right? 

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

I was just playing IV a minute ago getting the delivery achievement for LJ and I was stood outside in the rain after I got it and a couple of lightning strikes hit and shook the controller, and I as sat there thinking how great all of that will be in V not that it is improved.

Aerosmithfan999
  • Aerosmithfan999

Bazinga!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Weather truly adds depth and immersion to GTA. Undoubtedly, thunderstorms will be amazing in GTA V. September 17th, here we come.

nosyd
  • nosyd

www.maturevideogamer.co.uk

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Can't wait to see how weather is implemented in GTAV. mI'm sure in RDR the rain could last for day's and you would get npc's commenting on it.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Life in the Big City

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:30 AM Edited by saintsrow, 08 September 2013 - 10:31 AM.

Most of the replies have really nailed it, so I have little to add.  RDR storms are long-lived and are excellent, and there seems to be a kind of darkening buildup before they start, really nice.  I hope that the GTAV rain sounds will match the environment -  i.e., drops hitting water in puddles and lakes, sharper raindrop sounds on car hoods, roofs, and tents, and soft white noise rain when the rainfall lightens up.  And the wind effects, as people mentioned. 

But no windsheild wipers in GTAV?

• GTAFan0913 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users