Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is the city part of the map as small as it looks?

91 replies to this topic
polycount
  • polycount

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

I love the wilderness and all, don't get me wrong- but the city seems pretty small. Is it just that the map is THAT big that it seems that way (Give me a reference point- roughly how big will the city part be compared to, say,  GTA 4's city? I know the OVERALL map is as big as RDR, SA and gta 4 combined, but what about the city part?), or is the city actually not meant to be the main attraction? 

Mind, I'm not complaining either way. This game WILL be excellent (As long as it doesn't have horrible optimization problems on PS3- that's the only console I have next to my PC) and the size of the city has little effect on me, but I cannot help but wonder.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:08 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 08 September 2013 - 04:13 AM.

The art director of V recently said that Los Santos is as big as if you took GTA IV's map and smushed all of the islands together.

So no, it's not small at all.

Spoiler

• trevorthebadass likes this

HiddenStreet
  • HiddenStreet

Super Villain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:09 AM

6Q385.gif

theotherMittens
  • theotherMittens

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:09 AM

no

LanceUppercut
  • LanceUppercut

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

No, San Fierro and Las Venturas are in too, just not revealed yet. *ahem*

the buckit
  • the buckit

The Dude

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

if you get closer it gets bigger

• MrCasey likes this

yungkrease
  • yungkrease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

yet another "the city looks small" thread

polycount
  • polycount

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:12 AM Edited by polycount, 08 September 2013 - 04:13 AM.

The art director of V recently said that Los Santos is as big as if you took GTA IV's map and smushed the all of the islands together.

Thank you kindly, sir- hadn't read anything about that yet. This is good news.

And yes, another thread about the size of the city. I wasn't bitching, I was asking. You'll forgive me if I don't follow GTA 5 news religiously. 

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

The art director of V recently said that Los Santos is as big as if you took GTA IV's map and smushed the all of the islands together.

Which, looking at the most recent city pic (the one from IGN) seems like a slight embellishment, the scale of the city seems to be what's gonna draw us in.. I don't think the city is necessarily large as much as it is detailed. It's about the size of Broker\Dukes\Bohan.

UsedFloppyDisk
  • UsedFloppyDisk

Proclus Global agent

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

black-kid-crying.gif

• yungkrease likes this

zsakul2
  • zsakul2

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

So no, it's not small at all.

Spoiler

Wow thats freaking awesome! Not only do we get the size of liberty city then we have a massive expansion of countryside.. I f*cking love it! I just hope it kinda blends well.. You know the disconnect between city and country?

Skylanator
  • Skylanator

War, war never changes..

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

Dude, it's f*cking massive. Need I say more.

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Los Santos!

• Members
  • India

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

Ah...the map is huge. 

HiddenStreet
  • HiddenStreet

Super Villain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

Which, looking at the most recent city pic (the one from IGN) seems like a slight embellishment, the scale of the city seems to be what's gonna draw us in.. I don't think the city is necessarily large as much as it is detailed. It's about the size of Broker\Dukes\Bohan.

What makes you think that? Real life L.A. is bigger than NYC in terms of square mileage. I've heard that we can expect downtown Los Santos and it's surrounding neighborhoods (suburban, not rural) can be compared to the size of the entire GTA IV's map alone.

• Ronrollin9434 likes this

THC 300
  • THC 300

hombre condón

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

another bitching thread. oh joy.

seVensantos
  • seVensantos

citizen of san andreas

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

so as youre that high in the air the ground is supposed 2 look like a big expansive city?!

polycount
  • polycount

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

another bitching thread. oh joy.

You should try gaining more reading comprehension skills before posting comments ;)

• Outplug likes this

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

What makes you think that? Real life L.A. is bigger than NYC in terms of square mileage. I've heard that we can expect downtown Los Santos and it's surrounding neighborhoods (suburban, not rural) can be compared to the size of the entire GTA IV's map alone.

Just from checking a few of the pics we've seen so far, we've got a fair amount of areal\high up pics of the city.  Though we've yet to see panorama I think we've got a good idea of what we're working with.

hqdefault.jpg

gta2-008.jpg

It's big, has lots of pretty lights and a grid-pattern.. But Just to me, doesn't seem bigger than The boroughs of LC.

OurMotherEarth
  • OurMotherEarth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Theres a bigger draw distance, so the screenshots that your seeing of Los Santos is pulled way out thats why everything looks so small and Los Santos too.

Yo_L
  • Yo_L

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

Dude, it's f*cking massive. Need I say more.

:^: Couldn't have said it better myself.

BullworthAcademy.
  • BullworthAcademy.

Mesbian

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

It's small, bro.

MovieGuy786
  • MovieGuy786

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

black-kid-crying.gif

Who stole his fried Chickan? Franklin? Damn you Franklin!
  • trevorthebadass likes this

NickStone
  • NickStone

My member doesn't have a title.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'm not sure who's map I'm looking at (I think it's from "5 o'clock"?) but what's probably throwing people off is the space between the streets. Comparing that, it looks like the new LS will be the size of the Broker/Dukes island. But those could just be major roads, with streets in between that aren't shown on this map. Wasn't this map built on speculation anyway? Everyone, including Rockstar, is saying LS is the size of all of LC, so that has to be a map discrepancy or the map is in lower detail. I guess it would be too much to ask for a distance scale. :p

Giasado
  • Giasado

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:58 AM Edited by Giasado, 08 September 2013 - 04:59 AM.

The thing people forget is perspective. If you see any of those high altitude shots in a heli or skydiving, the game itself has a FOV distortion because at that time the character or vehicle is in movement. Stand still in one of the ghettos or just in general on the ground, be it anywhere on the map, it will look and feel a lot bigger. Scale is weird when you start going past very high heights.

CCarvalho224
  • CCarvalho224

"Courage, Integrity & Pride"

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

I think even if the city does look small from the aerial screenshots, it will be HUGE from the street perspective. 

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

The thing people forget is perspective. If you see any of those high altitude shots in a heli or skydiving, the game itself has a FOV distortion because at that time the character or vehicle is in movement. Stand still in one of the ghettos or just in general on the ground, be it anywhere on the map, it will look and feel a lot bigger. Scale is weird when you start going past very high heights.

This. GTA IV's LC doesn't look that big looking at the map, but in game walking around it feels huge. Walking from one end of Algonquin to the other feels like it takes forever.

In game will be a lot different.

OGF_
  • OGF_

Chicago Resident

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

yet another "the city looks small" thread

your signature is wrong.

BMW Sterling
  • BMW Sterling

(_o_Y_o_)

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

When IGN did the 4 hour gameplay this week, they said that los santos is as big as the eye can see.

ArchKnight
  • ArchKnight

Dodge Charger™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Los Santos isn't small at all. It's reasonably big as compared to GTA IV. Also, Blaine Country adds a lot to explore.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:07 AM Edited by DODI3OG, 08 September 2013 - 06:08 AM.

No, San Fierro and Las Venturas are in too, just not revealed yet. *ahem*

You forgot about North Yankton, Canada. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users